Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mexican food in Frisco

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47
BT

• Total Posts: 3589
RE: Mexican food in Frisco Wed, 07/7/04 2:10 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

I wondered the same thing actually--i know in the 60,s through the 80.s the term "Frisco" pegged you right away as NOT from Northern Calif---as a matter of fact it made you suspect of being one of those nasty from people from that evil empire that seperateed "Us" from Mexico--sorry to our Southern Calif roadfooders--no offence meant--its not your fault you where born there!

Here's a hint on how to tell "us" from "those nasty people from that evil empire". Ask 'em the best way to drive to LA. If they say "take THE 5", they are nasty. If they say "Take 5" they are homies. Got it?

BT

RE: Mexican food in Frisco Wed, 07/7/04 2:15 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Richard Brooks Alba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">This is the epitome of absurdist humor to my relatives when they come to visit here: to see "Mission-style" burritos being marketed outside of California as the 'logical' extension of a quasi-Mexican foodstuff made by non-Mexicans for other non-Mexicans in our ostensible 'taquerias' of San Francisco. (For me, it goes one additional step: actual Mexicans trying out the offerings at Taco Bell, with or without its "Run For The Border" campaign... [but only because there's ANY connection at all between 'Mexican' and 'Taco Bell'])

Buen provecho,
    Richard
    San Francisco/SF, CA

BT

RE: Mexican food in Frisco Wed, 07/7/04 2:22 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Richard Brooks Alba
      This is the epitome of absurdist humor to my relatives when they come to visit here: to see "Mission-style" burritos being marketed outside of California as the 'logical' extension of a quasi-Mexican foodstuff made by non-Mexicans for other non-Mexicans in our ostensible 'taquerias' of San Francisco. (For me, it goes one additional step: actual Mexicans trying out the offerings at Taco Bell, with or without its "Run For The Border" campaign... [but only because there's ANY connection at all between 'Mexican' and 'Taco Bell'])

Buen provecho,
      Richard
      San Francisco/SF, CA

LOL! I divide my time between SF and southern Arizona (about 30 miles north of the border at Nogales). I have always been astounded by the site of Mexicans--actual Mexicans, not Mexican-Americans--eating at Taco Bell when there is a perfectly respectable outlet of a local "Mexican" fast food chain called Rigoberto's, that serves much better food, just across the street. In fact, I have trouble understanding why anyone eats at that particular Taco Bell (other than the fact that it's only steps from the door of the local cineplex and you actually have to cross a busy road to Rigoberto's).

Chef Susan

• Total Posts: 84
        RE: Mexican food in Frisco Tue, 07/13/04 9:56 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by bill voss

thin ice alert! thin ice alert! uh rick....those of us in the OTHER 48 states blame California for ALMOST everything. The stuff we don't blame on Ca., well, I'm afraid that everything else IS New York's fault. Sure, I know there's a few of you out there that just had the misfortune to be neighbors of the trumps, but we don't have time to sort 'em all out. Basically, EVERYTHING is either california's of new york's fault. Sincerely, bill, in no-fault oregon

Funny thing...Those of us born and raised here in CA and are multiple generation Californians, we blame everything on those folks that came from another state!!!

BT

RE: Mexican food in Frisco Wed, 07/14/04 2:03 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Chef Susan

quote:

thin ice alert! thin ice alert! uh rick....those of us in the OTHER 48 states blame California for ALMOST everything. The stuff we don't blame on Ca., well, I'm afraid that everything else IS New York's fault. Sure, I know there's a few of you out there that just had the misfortune to be neighbors of the trumps, but we don't have time to sort 'em all out. Basically, EVERYTHING is either california's of new york's fault. Sincerely, bill, in no-fault oregon

Funny thing...Those of us born and raised here in CA and are multiple generation Californians, we blame everything on those folks that came from another state!!!

Well, gosh, on behalf of those born elsewhere, we're really, really, sorry. Mmmm-kay?

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
            RE: Mexican food in Frisco Wed, 07/14/04 2:50 AM (permalink)
            you know, it's interesting here on Roadfood to see these threads last
            a year or more. I noticed that remark of mine when you revived this thread, BT. I was used to participating in forums where the banter was lively and pretty acidic, but gone the next day. I hope I'm a kinder and gentler Bill Voss now than when I first started posting on these forums, for you're never quite sure when some offhand comment will come to bite you in the butt. Over the course of a year I feel I've gotten to know most of the people posting through the thoughts, ideas, and experiences related.It's friendly and gentle most of the time-
            (R.I.P. Clothier), and I actually thought about deleting that smart ass remark, but it was already embedded in other's posts. That said, I did have an ancestor who came west to the Gold Rush. We have a tremendous letter describing what he was experiencing, and he eventually chose to return to Missouri. I love California because it's continually evolving and proclaiming a new identity in a way that other states can't, and don't want to; Kansas and Missouri, where I grew up, for a vivid example. I grew up right next to the Santa Fe and Oregon trails and always wanted to go west, young man. So now I've ended up here in Southern Oregon, but Roadfood is a connecting point for the sum of all those experiences... I promise I'll just visit every once in a while, Susan. My guess is, the continual flow of people seeking their fortune in the Golden State has brought a lot of good things that you enjoy too. I had a great discussion last year with our grade school's Spanish
            Teacher after that first exchange with Richard, for our teacher is actually from South America. Very enlightening to a suburban midwestern boy like me. Bill

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
              RE: Mexican food in Frisco Sun, 07/18/04 11:23 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by BT

Well, gosh, on behalf of those born elsewhere, we're really, really, sorry. Mmmm-kay?
              No, no, no. You may well be regretful, or in rare cases even regrettable. But not all of you are sorry as well!

santacruz

• Total Posts: 372
                RE: Mexican food in Frisco Tue, 07/20/04 2:05 PM (permalink)
                Haveing worked in the Mission District of S.F. for over 4 years, I have found that there is a big difference in the quality of different vendors.

Usually most are average to above average in taste, but there is one at Mission and 24th st. Taqueria San Jose. They have some of the best Carne Asada and El Pastor I have ever tasted. Chavez's is also very good.

The only Mexican food I found better for me was in Oaxaca. Also here in the bay area the church suppers are a diverse smorgasbord of different Mexican,Central and South American plus Asian,African and European Cuisines. These are great places to find nice people and excellent home cooked food.

As a former New Englander/Kansan, just give me the great diverse California foods.

BT

RE: Mexican food in Frisco Tue, 07/20/04 6:23 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by axvawe

Haveing worked in the Mission District of S.F. for over 4 years, I have found that there is a big difference in the quality of different vendors.

Usually most are average to above average in taste, but there is one at Mission and 24th st. Taqueria San Jose. They have some of the best Carne Asada and El Pastor I have ever tasted. Chavez's is also very good.

The only Mexican food I found better for me was in Oaxaca. Also here in the bay area the church suppers are a diverse smorgasbord of different Mexican,Central and South American plus Asian,African and European Cuisines. These are great places to find nice people and excellent home cooked food.

As a former New Englander/Kansan, just give me the great diverse California foods.

The food guy from the Bay Guardian always claimed the best "El Pastor" came from Tacqueria Can-Cun (the one in the Mission, NOT the one on Market St.).

BT

RE: Mexican food in Frisco Tue, 07/20/04 6:27 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by axvawe

Also here in the bay area the church suppers are a diverse smorgasbord of different Mexican,Central and South American plus Asian,African and European Cuisines. These are great places to find nice people and excellent home cooked food.

Then, when it comes to church suppers, don't ignore GREEK. That Greek Orthodox church on Valencia has a Greek food festival one weekend a year that's fab and I think there's a similar event at a Greek Orthodox church in Oakland.

santacruz

• Total Posts: 372
                      RE: Mexican food in Frisco Wed, 07/21/04 12:20 PM (permalink)
                      Thanks BT, there is also a very good Greek Orthodox one in Belmont Ca. One of the best meals I have ever had was at the Greek Orthodox church in Kansas City Mo. My daughter is Orthodox and we went to Easter service. After the service, Oh the lemon soup, roasted lamb,roasted potatoes, deserts, coffee these were fantastic.
                      Also Armenian Othodox bazaars and festivals.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                        RE: Mexican food in Frisco Wed, 07/21/04 12:48 PM (permalink)
                        the Greek festival in KC is one big wing ding. I loved going each year. The thing I miss most in our little valley here in Southern Oregon is a real gyros place/ Greek cafe. If any enterprising guys or gals want to go west, we're waiting with mouths watering.
                        As far as the Mission, it's so multi-ethnic, that the idea of all the eateries being "authentic" is kind of humorous. California really is a world apart.The mixture of eveyone is what gives that neighborhood vitality.

ItzOmi

• Total Posts: 2
                          RE: Mexican food in Frisco Wed, 07/21/04 3:21 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by tiki

I wondered the same thing actually--i know in the 60,s through the 80.s the term "Frisco" pegged you right away as NOT from Northern Calif---as a matter of fact it made you suspect of being one of those nasty from people from that evil empire that seperateed "Us" from Mexico--sorry to our Southern Calif roadfooders--no offence meant--its not your fault you where born there!

It is still an offensive term. I can't believe any self-respecting San Franciscan would say the "F" word!

BT

RE: Mexican food in Frisco Wed, 07/21/04 7:27 PM (permalink)
                            quote:

The thing I miss most in our little valley here in Southern Oregon is a real gyros place/ Greek cafe. If any enterprising guys or gals want to go west, we're waiting with mouths watering.

Next time you're in the Bay Area, then, I suggest you try Gyro King on Fell near Market (across the street from the main library). It is run by a family of Turks (not Greeks). Papa mans the cash registers, the younger men cook and make the sandwiches etc. and the women wait on the tables. Truth be told, the gyros are good but not the best things on the menu. The best things, in my opinion, are all the Turkish pastries (pizza-like things and so on) they bake fresh every day. Anyway, it's all yummy and the place is suitably crowded at lunchtime with office workers from City Hall, the Federal and state office buildings, all nearby. I usually go before 11:30 or after 1:00 if I can. They don't open at dinner time.

BT

RE: Mexican food in Frisco Wed, 07/21/04 7:29 PM (permalink)
                              Come to think of it, I'm going to start a gyro thread under "sandwiches".

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
                                RE: Mexican food in Frisco Sun, 07/30/06 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                Enchiladas Verdes At Juan's Place - yum. The mole poblano one's are good also. And authentic or not, the flour tortilla chips dipped into either the delicious red or green salsas at each table are an excellent foil for a cold Negro Modelo.

I agree with the take on the specials - they seem universally mediocre.

spicoli

• Total Posts: 68
                                  RE: Mexican food in Frisco Fri, 10/6/06 12:18 PM (permalink)
                                  I think Burritos are more of a representation of San Francisco cuisine than any authentic Mexican cooking. Nost of our culinary culture is based on that anyhow, adapting other traditions to our own tastes to end up with a real American product.

I'd always thought that the more seemingly authentic places in small agricultural towns in the Central, Coastal Valleys (populated almost entirely with Mexican immigrants) had blander food, but who knows? Maybe they just changed the dishes accordingly in light of my complexion.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com