Mexican food in Playa del Carmen

Author
Neesie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
2006/12/27 16:34:37 (permalink)

Mexican food in Playa del Carmen

My knowledge of Mexican food is next to nothing. I'm going to Playa del Carmen, Mexico in a couple of weeks and have no idea what to order or what I'll be ordering. HELP! (All I know is that tacos al pastor are made with pork and topped with pineapple; hubby is going to hate it.) (He hates fruit with meat...almost divorced me when first married for making pork chops with apples)

7 Replies Related Threads

NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Mexican food in Playa del Carmen 2006/12/27 17:23:18 (permalink)
    I've never been to Playa del Carmen but I've been to Cozumel many times and must say I've never seen pineapple on a taco. Usually a corn tortilla with pork,onion, and cilantro.

If you like seafood you will be in luck. I don't know about Playa, but in Cozumel most restaurants post a menu outside so you can stroll around and see what they have to offer.
    cofoodie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Mexican food in Playa del Carmen 2006/12/27 18:54:52 (permalink)
    I spent a week there last year and all the food was great. I can't tell you really what to order but the hotel or resort where you stay should be able to tell you some of the best places and what's good. There is a great Cuban restaurant in the plaza in Playa. I can't remember the name of it but they make great Mojitos! They also have great live music. It's right in the center of the plaza so you should be able to find it fairly easy. Have a great time! Playa is a wonderful place - I'd love to go back sometime.
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Mexican food in Playa del Carmen 2006/12/27 20:22:04 (permalink)
    You will find lots of help here
    http://www.playa.info/playa-del-carmen-forum/
    Playa has some great Italian restaurants. The best Mexican food was from carts next to the bus station. Don't forget you are in the Yucatan. The food is much different. Another great item is grilled chicken coated in achiote paste.
    dcosbey
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Mexican food in Playa del Carmen 2006/12/27 20:49:48 (permalink)
    Tacos al Pastor that we ate in Playa del Carmen had no pineapple. Grilled pork, done on a vertical grill-ala'Gyro meat- sliced thinly and in a fresh tortilla with the expected condiments. We had them on a side street taco stand off of 5th Avenue. They were delicious!
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Mexican food in Playa del Carmen 2006/12/27 23:20:14 (permalink)
    Try ceviche anyplace!
    Neesie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Mexican food in Playa del Carmen 2006/12/28 13:12:26 (permalink)
    Thank you for all the replies. See, what I really mean is I don't know what these things are, even if the menu is posted out front. For instance I thought a mojito would be a drink and a ceviche a brand of beer....I'm going to be the idiot ordering goats eyeballs, I just know it!" />

Oh, and that is good news for my husband about the pineapple.
    cofoodie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Mexican food in Playa del Carmen 2006/12/28 14:00:51 (permalink)
    I'm sorry - I should have been more specific. You are correct, a Mojito is a drink. Ceviche is raw seafood that is "cooked" in citrus and spices. The citrus cooks the seafood without actually having to heat it. I had that several places in Playa and it was wonderful. The wait staff in most restaurants speak english somewhat and are very happy to answer any questions you have about what's on the menu. The majority of street vendors we bought food from were also very helpful. I don't think you have to worry about accidentally getting any goats eyeballs. :)I ordered a lot of fish when I was there and never went wrong!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1