Miami Food Trucks [1/28/2012 Update]

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7844
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/01/23 11:29:48 (permalink)
Don, this is an excellent report.  Your pictures are excellent and I'm now hungry.

Thank goodness that the cilantro sighting takes away any occurrence of hunger pangs.

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/01/23 14:26:17 (permalink)
I thought of you as I wrote about the cilantro, Marlene!

Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/01/26 10:49:09 (permalink)
The shrimp and fish tacos put me over the edge.  Would it be really weird to schedule a vacation around following food trucks?  (wait . . I'm totally asking the wrong people that question . . )  Excellent Don!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/03/15 12:25:24 (permalink)
GASTROPOD   http://www.gastropodmiami.com/
Chef Jeremiah's contribution to mobile dining is the Gastropod, which serves a unique menu of asian-influenced food.  I caught up with the converted Airstream trailer at a Whole Foods store in Pinecrest one weekend.

In addition to selling food, there was a demonstration of Chef Jeremiah's skills with molecular gastronomy in the making of shake.  I couldn't stay to sample it, but it had soy milk, honey and I believe cinnamon in the ingredients.

Chef Jeremiah pouring liquid nitrogen into the blender:

And here is Chef Jeremiah wearing the shake after the liquid nitrogen reacts rather explosively with the ingredients!

This is the menu that was on the trailer that day:

On the web site mentioned above, there is a more extensive menu of items available from time-to-time.  I got the Old Dirt Dawg, Short Rib Sliders, Banh Mi Tacos and el chinito cubano.

Old Dirt Dawg with Stupid Slaw

Short Rib Sliders

Banh Mi Tacos

El Chinito Cubano

I got all of this wrapped-up to-go and brought it home.  Like some other gourmet food trucks, the truck menu, the web site and the food aren't always in synch.  I read the menu, order the food to go, eat it, enjoy it, but then when I look at the photos I think, "Wait, what's that in there?"  The Old Dirt Dawg seemed... mostly ordinary, and maybe missing something?  The slaw is a vinegary concoction of red cabbage and red bell pepper.  The web site mentions an aged-cheddar fondue with mustard seeds, so maybe something got left out.  It was a quality hot dog, and I put some mustard on it.  I think they said it was a Hebrew National.

The Short Rib Sliders had the same slaw, and an unidentified sauce.  G-pod sauce?  I noted that they were using halved hot dog rolls instead of a proper slider bun.  These were good.

Banh Mi Tacos are Gastropod's take on what is in the Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwich, served in tacos.  They had pulled pork, that slaw that was in the other items, cilantro and what is called "spicy japanese mayo."  They didn't remind me much of the banh mi I've had from local markets made by little old vietnamese ladies, but they were good.

El Chinito Cubano is spanish for, I believe, "little chinese cuban,"  and is an asian flavored version of the classic cuban (cubano) sandwich.  It has good Benton ham, and the Chef's pork terrine instead of pork roast, and a hoisin-mustard sauce instead of just mustard.  This was good, too.

Recommended, and I am going to hunt them down again, although I will inquire about the hot dog!

MISO HUNGRY

This truck is more pan-asian, and less fusion than some others, although the miso burger is definitely fusion.

I got the Rendang Beef, the Curry Chicken, the Miso Burger with Crispy Fried Onions and the Chicken Satay.

Chicken Satay

Miso Burger

Curry Chicken
Rendang  

Rendang Beef

The pork burger was good, although I thought the roll, which I think was a whole-grain ciabbata-style bread, was a little tough for a burger.  Looking back at the pictures, I think I might put the slaw in the sandwich, or maybe even the crispy onions, which I gobbled up before I thought of photographing them.

The chicken and beef were good.  The beef looks a little dry in the photo because I photographed it when I had it for supper later.  I didn't specify which rice, so I think that is the plain steamed rice.

The chicken satay was outstanding.  It was perfectly cooked, retaining moistness and with great spicing.  I got the peanut sauce for dipping, which was good.

MICHAEL'S GENUINE

A great local restaurant has a little food cart that shows up here and there occasionally.  It was at the Fall for the Arts festival serving a pork-belly sandwich.

Menu For the Day

Pork Belly Cooking

Assembly

Finished Sandwich

I loved this.  I'd never had pork belly except in its bacon form before.  Unbelievably tender and rich.  It got inhaled!  And yes, I had the peach iced tea.  I sort of chugged that down, because it was so hot out, and didn't really note the details much, although it was tasty.   The roll was not what I would call a kaiser roll!

[......more to come]

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8331
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/03/15 17:51:32 (permalink)
Oh my goodness-what wonderful food and pictures!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/03/21 10:24:59 (permalink)
Don, the next time you're headed out for these things if you happen to spy me crouched down in the back seat of your car, *do not be alarmed.*  :)
MarcusMatters
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Miami Food Trucks [3/15/2011 Update!] 2011/03/31 01:50:39 (permalink)
Great pictures!! I've been stalking the Miami food trucks with the iPhone app i got from  They have lots of pictures in the app too, but I like yours better, maybe you can submit them to the app?
post edited by MarcusMatters - 2011/03/31 01:59:57
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3967
Re:Miami Food Trucks [3/15/2011 Update!] 2011/03/31 01:56:54 (permalink)
wow, MiamiDon, great report and great pictures. Can you ship me a pork belly sandwich?
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7844
Re:Miami Food Trucks [3/15/2011 Update!] 2011/03/31 12:25:08 (permalink)
Excellent!  Thanks for the pictures and reviews.
agnesrob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Miami Food Trucks [3/15/2011 Update!] 2011/04/03 06:26:10 (permalink)
Don, your food pictures are always so good. I wish I could eat them! Thanks for updating this report!
nycguy524
Junior Burger
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/04/25 14:53:34 (permalink)
Great article Don. If we had an idea for a new food truck, is there one main company that outfits the Miami Food Truck scene? Would love to know who to contact about outfitting a new concept.

Thanks!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3967
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/04/25 15:12:38 (permalink)
Great report, Don. A couple of questions. Do you find yourself searching out these trucks in place of the conventional restaurants these days? Also, do any of them have any sort of seating, such as a picnic table set up nearby or even just chairs to sit in while you eat?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10220
Re:Miami Food Trucks [3/15/2011 Update!] 2011/04/25 15:26:31 (permalink)
MarcusMatters

Great pictures!! I've been stalking the Miami food trucks with the iPhone app i got from  They have lots of pictures in the app too, but I like yours better, maybe you can submit them to the app?

This Gentleman's comment is a perfect example of why I encourage mobile vendors, including Carts, to use Twitter, Facebook or other electronic means to promote their business and build their customer base.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/04/25 15:34:43 (permalink)
nycguy524

Great article Don. If we had an idea for a new food truck, is there one main company that outfits the Miami Food Truck scene? Would love to know who to contact about outfitting a new concept.

Thanks!

I believe that would be Food Carts USA.

http://www.foodcartusa.com/index.html

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/06/09 10:20:05 (permalink)
EdSails

Great report, Don. A couple of questions. Do you find yourself searching out these trucks in place of the conventional restaurants these days? Also, do any of them have any sort of seating, such as a picnic table set up nearby or even just chairs to sit in while you eat?

Ed, I didn't see your question back in April.

Yes, some do set up with tables and chairs.  At the bigger events, I think someone rents tables and chairs, because I have seen larger numbers set up. 

Yes, I do seek them out, based on my location around lunch time.  A few gatherings have been within two miles of my house, so that was a no-brainer.  One was at a Mercedes dealer, and the others were at a big Harley-Davidson dealer.   I follow my favorites on Twitter, and have the text-to-phone function activated.  The ones that know what they are doing tweet their locations for lunch and dinner.  Some of them are buddies, and Tweet that other trucks are going to be at the same site.  I have an iPhone, and some of the trucks have set up their Facebook pages so the postings get tweeted, too.  For example, on Tuesday I was in downtown Miami for a meeting, and when I got out I checked the text message scroll that is routed though Twitter, and saw that three trucks were blocks away at Bayfront park.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
July 4th 2011 Update 2011/07/04 12:39:21 (permalink)
I've only had one item from the Wrapidito food trailer menu, but it was so good that I have to mention them.  I feel certain that the rest of the menu is worth exploring.
Wrapidito

Wrapidito Menu

I had the Mediterranean Chicken Wrap

This was just great.  The crunchy almonds, sweet onions, salty feta cheese and the freshly grilled chicken went together like magic.

http://twitter.com/WrapiditoYum

Red Koi Lounge is a sushi restaurant in Coral Gables that also operates a food truck.

Red Koi Food Truck

Red Koi Menu

I was sharing with someone who is not very food-adventurous, so I stuck to some ordinary asian finger foods.

Gyoza with Ponzu Sauce

Spring Rolls with Plum Sauce

California Roll

These were all freshly-made to-order, and were good.  I'd like to try the Red Koi's Tartar next time.  No, I don't know what a Monkey Roll is!

Wing Commander is one of the original food "trucks" here in Miami.  They have made several changes to the menu over the past year, and the last time I saw them they had followed the lead of a couple of others in offering packaged meals.  I believe this is to make things easier for them when they get slammed at some of the events, but I could be wrong.  Bill and Allison, the owners/operators, are as nice as can be.  The "Wing Commander" theme is from Bill's time as an officer in the Air Force.

Wing Commander Trailer

Wing Commander Menu

Wing Commander Wings

The wings are hot and tasty, with several housemade sauces to choose from.  I'm partial to the Caribbean, but my wife prefers the "Hot."

Chili-Cheese Chippies

"Chippies" are deep-fried, sliced potatoes.  The menu at the Harley dealer event just listed them as part of a package lunch with chili and cheese, but I imagine that they will eliminate one or both toppings if you so desire.  These a good - Allie's chili is quite tasty.  Best eaten right away before the potatoes get too soggy.

You can mix and match any of the sauces and toppings on the sliders.  Here I had mushrooms, swiss cheese and caramelized onions, I believe.  Hot and juicy, and cooked to your liking.

Sliders

Chicken strips are mentioned on the menu, and these are what I was served several months ago.

Chicken Strips

I don't know whether they are still available, but we enjoyed the cinnamon chips they offered in the past.  I believe that these are cut-up flour tortillas, deep-fried and tossed with cinnamon and sugar.

Cinnamon Chips

http://twitter.com/mywingcommander

Yellow Submarine is operated by two brothers from Colombia, and offers burgers, subs and hot dogs with a Colombian twist.

Yellow Submarine

Yellow Submarine Menu

I've had the Colombian-style hot dog, and two of the subs.  I must confess that I was a little suspicious of the hot dog, because the only  experience I'd had with a latin hot dog was not good, and a Cuban restaurateur told me that a lot of them are all about the toppings, and use sub-standard hot dogs.  Well, that was certainly not the case here.  This foot-long, all-beef beauty was tasty on it's own, and I very much enjoyed the combination of the pineapple sauce, provolone cheese, homemade mustard sauce and homemade tomato sauce covered with crumbled potato chips.

Yellow Dog

Imagine Sub
[

This was turkey breast, provalone, lettuce, tomato and onions.  These were all of good quality, but what put it "over the top" was the pesto sauce and the garlic sauce.  We very much enjoyed it.

New Sensation Sub

This one adds black forest ham to the Imagine Sub ingredients, and is equally as good, if not better.

http://twitter.com/yellowtwiter
http://www.yellowsubmarineonline.com/yellowsubmarineonline

Of course, after all that food we needed dessert.  The Sweetness Bake Shop and Cafe operates a food truck, too.

Sugar Rush Truck

They offer a varying menu of cupcakes and little single-serving desserts.  Here is a typical offering:

Sugar Rush Menu

Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding with Expresso Sauce

Get it?  Doughnuts and coffee?

Passionfruit Creme Brulee

Coconut Passionfruit Cupcake

These are all very good.  My wife is particularly fond of the bread pudding.  I discovered when I travelled to the bricks and mortar bakery that the expresso sauce is only available on the truck, to my disappointment.

http://sweetnessbakeshop.net/

http://twitter.com/sweetnessbakes

[more trucks to come.....]

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
August 5th 2011 Update 2011/08/05 08:23:08 (permalink)
There was a small food truck event at a Hyundai dealership near to my house, so we stopped by to pick up something for supper.  It featured some new trucks that I had not seen before, including these two with great wrap designs:

They weren't ready to serve, but I found out that a Monster Burger is 8 oz beef, bacon, extra mozarrella cheese, onions, monster sauces, lettuce, tomatoes and crushed potato chips.

We had heard that a new pork specialties truck would be here, and found this guy:

We got the Porchetta sandwich from Pork Shop, and some Argentine empanadas from Che Grill.

Beef, Chicken and Spinach Empanadas

Porchetta Sandwich

Everything was delicious!  The herb/spice/whatever blend in the porchetta, along with the roast pork, gave off an alluring aroma that grabbed me from yards away.  It was served with homemade pickled cucumbers and a mustard sauce of some sort.  I have to track them down and try some more items from the menu.

For dessert we had some of the Sweet Potato Pound Cake  from the Pork Shop:

http://www.chegrill.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porchetta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empanada
More to come.....
post edited by MiamiDon - 2011/08/05 11:33:16
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 892
Re:July 4th 2011 Update 2011/08/05 11:02:46 (permalink)
I like the stamps on the empanadas quite a lot.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5043
Re:July 4th 2011 Update 2011/08/08 10:02:01 (permalink)
Don, are there any competitions/events where the trucks are featured instead of the food?  I can easily imagine that there are a few guys who have reputations as the best in the food truck paint/graphics business.

Brad
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:July 4th 2011 Update 2011/08/08 10:07:52 (permalink)
Not that I am aware of.  The Great Food Truck Race was in town for a bit, but their emphasis is on the food service, mostly.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8331
Re:July 4th 2011 Update 2011/08/08 13:35:31 (permalink)
Very, very impressive food trucks.I am in awe, and wish we had that kind of quality here...
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4524
Re:July 4th 2011 Update 2011/08/08 14:59:15 (permalink)
Hey Don, I always enjoy your additions to this thread.  Keep eatin!
ramonfernandez
Junior Burger
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/08/12 20:16:50 (permalink)
I like their idea that they can roll on to everywhere and just tweet so they can get their fans to that place and eat!  :)

_
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/08/16 10:04:19 (permalink)
In case anyone is using this as a guide,

Wing Commander is now Crepes Outdoors (selling crepes, both sweet and savory)

Wrapidito Yum  is now Subusters Yum (same food, but with a Ghost Busters theme to the art on the truck)
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/08/20 23:15:50 (permalink)
MD
Wow, I wish I was closer to Miami.  Your adventures around Miami have looked wonderful.

HDtravlr1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 288
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/08/21 09:48:17 (permalink)
Outstanding food pictures. I can almost taste them. Almost
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/08/23 21:08:37 (permalink)
Man.  I have had dinner and I have had ice cream and the back half of this page started my stomach to yowling.  I am so glad you are documenting all the food truck goings on for us Don. :)
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Miami Food Trucks 2011/10/22 09:31:56 (permalink)
I caught up with one of the Latin House Grill food trucks the other day (there are two now), and thought I'd share a picture of my lunch.  One of the specials of the day was a trio of tacos.

They were grilled chicken, rib-eye, and coconut fried shrimp.  Very tasty!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Crepe Outdoors 2011/11/19 13:08:10 (permalink)
The former Wing Commander reinvented itself as Crepe Outdoors.

CREPE OUTDOORS

They offer several types of savory and sweet crepes.

We ordered the Allie's Comfort Food and the Lane's Creamy Comcoction the other week.

Chef Bill Cooking Crepes

Allie's Comfort Food Crepe

This was the one with the blue cheese blend and caramelized onions and bacon.  It was very good, and incredibly rich!  The wife enjoyed her chicken, swiss and mushroom crepe, too.

Recommended!  And I want to try one of the dessert ones, too.
MobileCuisine
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
Re:Crepe Outdoors 2011/12/16 13:27:34 (permalink)
Here is what Anthony Bourdain had to say about Miami's food truck scene. http://tinyurl.com/74hy5fn
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1