The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Michigan BBQ

Rapunzll

• Total Posts: 314
Michigan BBQ Fri, 05/28/04 11:21 AM (permalink)
I am in NW lower Michigan and wondering if any of you have reccomendations about where to get good bbq anywhere in the state. Last weekend, I was at a new place in Harbor Springs, PitMasters, and it was ok, but to be honest, there was so much sauce I couldn't tell if the meat was any good!

OK Michiganders, where are your favorite bbq joints?!

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
    RE: Michigan BBQ Fri, 05/28/04 12:33 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rapunzll

I am in NW lower Michigan and wondering if any of you have reccomendations about where to get good bbq anywhere in the state. Last weekend, I was at a new place in Harbor Springs, PitMasters, and it was ok, but to be honest, there was so much sauce I couldn't tell if the meat was any good!

I am not from Michigan so do not know any bbq joints there. However I did run across this very interesting recipe that comes from Michigan.

Michigan Road Kill Stew Recipe

Take 3 lb fresh roadkill (no more than 3 days old) . Remove fur, feathers and remaining internal organs. Place in pot with 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 T brown sugar, 1/2 C. wine, 4 T tapioca, 1/2 C. bread crumbs, 1 Bay leaf and salt and pepper. Cook all day. Serve over rice so that the maggots won't be noticed. For added flavor, add any bugs or moths scraped from the windshield.

Enjoy!!

Rapunzll

RE: Michigan BBQ Fri, 05/28/04 12:46 PM (permalink)
      LMAO! When I worked at a local bank, I used to wait on a guy who marketed a joke product called 'roadkill helper'.

http://www.i-can-fix-it.com/roadkill/

Penoose

• Total Posts: 57
        RE: Michigan BBQ Fri, 05/28/04 3:47 PM (permalink)
        You're on the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon for good Q. If you want pasties, cherries or fresh whitefish, you're in. If you want a plate of pulled pork, head south.

That said, there are a few decent places in SE MI...but not much at all near Harbor Springs. Legs Inn in Cross Village is quite good for eastern European food (pierogies, borscht, pork chops, etc). This old cobblestone building offers outstanding views of Lake Michigan, especially at sunset.

P.j.

Rapunzll

RE: Michigan BBQ Fri, 05/28/04 3:52 PM (permalink)
          I've eaten at the Legs Inn, and I live in Traverse City, so cherries I know! But I want some decent BBQ, and I know there has to be some somewhere in this state!

Penoose

• Total Posts: 57
            RE: Michigan BBQ Fri, 05/28/04 4:01 PM (permalink)
            Here are two old threads that cover BBQ in and around MI:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1828

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1705

Green's in Detroit and Champs in Grosse Pointe Woods are the big winners for me.

Rapunzll

RE: Michigan BBQ Fri, 05/28/04 4:10 PM (permalink)
              Thanks!

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
                RE: Michigan BBQ Mon, 05/31/04 10:46 AM (permalink)
                If you're traveling through Muskegon, Mich. — now possible from the Milwaukee side of Lake Michigan thanks to the start-up of the Muskegon-Milwaukee cross-lake ferry — don't miss the US 31 BBQ, 151 W. Muskegon Ave. in downtown Muskegon, across from city hall. Great N.C.-style BBQ sandwiches topped with a unique peppery vinegar slaw, outstanding pies.

dweller

• Total Posts: 70
                  RE: Michigan BBQ Mon, 05/31/04 3:41 PM (permalink)
                  My main experience of BBQ in North Carolina is in Western North Carolina, with a sweetish style BBQ. I've had the vinegar based one though and didn't like it, is that the kind US 31 BBQ does?

Thanks.

Doug

Rustywolf

RE: Michigan BBQ Tue, 06/1/04 1:42 PM (permalink)
                    Dweller - You could always just ask for a plain meat sandwich (pork, beef or combo offered), followed by a hunk of homemade pie. But the vinegary slaw topping is in my opinion sensational. Muskegon's US 31 BBQ doesn't look like much, but has been around for about 60 years or so. Look for the open-to-the-public-viewing rotisserie spit outside the restaurant upon which charred pork shoulders are slowly broiling, their juices dripping like honey. Then agaain, I'm only a "junior burger" so my advice on this place should be taken only advisedly. - Rusty

Rapunzll

RE: Michigan BBQ Tue, 06/1/04 2:32 PM (permalink)
                      Rusty, I don't ever get down to Muskegon, but I will try to make a trip there sometime this summer and check the US 31 BBQ out! I love Lexington style, although I did not the first time I tasted it. Have you ever been to that great place on 31 near Montague that has fantastic jerky?

I tried a new bbq place here in Traverse City, and it was ok, actually, not bad at all for northern Michigan!

Rustywolf

RE: Michigan BBQ Tue, 06/1/04 2:57 PM (permalink)
                        All - I was very remiss in not mentioning Muskegon's OTHER great BBQ restaurant, Brutus' BBQ, at 1427 W. Sherman. Brutus' is an excellent, traditional Texas-style operation, much slicker than US 31 BBQ, but a little harder to find. Brutus offers top-notch "Q" including brisket. He also has full-service restaurant with steaks, burgers and ribs, which I recommend highly (although I wish he'd hand-cut his fries). Brutus also has excellent beef jerky in many varieties for sale. I believe on some days it's all you can eat pork BBQ sandwiches, but don't quote me on this, as it's from memory.

Rapunzll - You're talking about Doug Borns Smokehouse and Sausage Kitchen in Montague, about a dozen miles north of Muskegon. Doug makes exceptional jerky (teriaki is to die for) that is meaty and juicy. Also, homemade potato sausage and too many smoked (not hot) delicacies to name.

All - At the risk of going off-topic here, I would say that any visit to Roadfood Muskegon would not be complete without breakfast at the Getty Street Grill, 1572 S. Getty. This really is a "Stern Alert" breakfast joint. A half-order of their meltingly moist, buttery American fries — that's a HALF ORDER — will feed three people easily (although perhaps not the crowd on this web site). Everything is insanely cheap and delicious, esp. the blueberry pancakes. The service is lightning fast. Avoid the lines and ask for a seat at the counter is my tip for visitors. From there you can watch the show in the kitchen. Your coffee cup will never stay empty.

Rapunzll

RE: Michigan BBQ Tue, 06/1/04 4:04 PM (permalink)
                          Wow, some great info there! Thanks! Now I have to figure out when I can get to Muskegon!

YerBoy

• Total Posts: 1
                            RE: Michigan BBQ Thu, 07/8/04 4:50 PM (permalink)
                            Hey folks. Did a google search for us31 bbq and ended up here!

Anyway, I was at a 4th of July party and a buddy of mine said "you've GOT to try one of these sandwiches!" He is formerly of Muskegon, went to visit, and returned to A2 with about 10 pork sandwiches.

Now, I try not to be a pig as much as possible in my eating. But, I had to try one of these sandwiches. Even though I had just had my fill of chicken and ribs at a friend's house, these sandwiches from US31 BBQ were great! The meat was thinly sliced with no sauce. I don't think it was smoked, but it was seasoned nicely. The plain white bun was fine, in that it allowed the flavor of the meat and sauce to shine through.

Let's talk sauce. The sauce as I tried it was on the side, in a little solo cup. It looked kinda like finely chopped salsa. What it is though, is vinegar based BBQ sauce with finely chopped cabbage mixed in. Kinda like combining the slaw and sauce from your usual pulled pork dealie. If I scared you by mentioning vinegar based sauce, don't fret. This sauce is sweet, but not thick tomatoey syrup. It definately has an edge. Like a muscle car that's comfortable to sit in, but pushes you into the seat when the pedal's to the metal. I ate the whole thing and licked the plate.

Go to US31 BBQ

I am excited to be heading to Muskegon next week. I'll be back with a full report from the field!

-Trevor

William9

• Total Posts: 1
                              RE: Michigan BBQ Tue, 11/30/04 9:49 AM (permalink)
                              I have found the only Real BBQ in the state. I have just moved to Mi. from texas in the last year and have been dying for some good wood smoked BBQ And I have found it. The Ranch House in Okemos knows what they are doing with brisket, pork ribs, turkey, link sausage, pulled pork, 1/2 chickens ec I was in town on business and had just exited on 110 off I-96 and The ORiginal Texas BBQ caught my eye. I was reluctant to enter but through desperation I gave it a whirl. After I finished my meal and licked the plate I was given a tour of the kitchen and spent 30 minutes looking at the Smoke pit they have in back. It is the only place I have seen that cooks purely over wood and you can taste it on the meat, They give the suace on the side. I finally have home cooking in the North!

quote:
                              Originally posted by Rapunzll

Rapunzll

RE: Michigan BBQ Tue, 11/30/04 10:51 AM (permalink)
                                I'll have to check that out, thanks for the tip! I sometimes get down to the Lansing area for work and to visit my son.

oldfrt

• Total Posts: 269
                                  RE: Michigan BBQ Sat, 12/4/04 1:04 PM (permalink)
                                  Around the Holland area there is SAMS JOINT. I think they have about two or three restaurants in the area and the ribs are great! Everytime we go back there for a visit we head to the one around Plainwell (I think) for a great dinner. They sell their BBQ sauce locally and we always grab a dozen or so jars to bring back to Denver with us.

Don

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com