Michigan cherry burgers??????

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2007/05/05 22:37:49 (permalink)

Michigan cherry burgers??????

I just bought a cute book called "Cookout USA". It has a chapter and recipes for each state (more to come on the site...). Most of them I knew, but the strangest one was from Michigan: Cherry Burgers. It says that in 1900's Ray Pleva of Cedar MI ground tart cherries together with beef. It was patented in 1995 and apparently well known, served in schools all thru the Midwest. OK, help this NY'er: have you ever had one?

4 Replies Related Threads

ShenB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Michigan cherry burgers?????? 2007/05/06 01:10:15 (permalink)
    I have tried them and yes they are quit good IMO. The name of this burger is "Pleevalean".

Your first thought that cherries are a fruit that and there presence in a burger will impart a strange flavor. That's not the case. The cherries are ground with the meat together and when cooked tend to hold the juices in the meat allowing leaner burger without the dry texture you get when you cook really lean ground sirloin. The cherries add a fair amount of water that is retained in the patty as it cooks. They do sell the patties frozen in some supermarkets in MI and If you follow this link I'm sure they will accept an order from you cn-line and ship them to N.Y. http://www.plevas.com/

Heres how Ray describes his product on the website.

Plevalean’s tasty mix of cherries and ground sirloin mean you get a lean, juicy and tasty burger that is lower in fat and calories. One Plevalean patty has only 140 calories and only 60 of those are from fat. It’s one of the reasons that schools in 18 states now choose Plevalean for their lunch programs. Another reason – great taste!

You can also go to Ray Pleva's retail Meat store located in Cedar, MI right the heart of the Traverse City Tart Cherry capitol. http://www.plevas.com/where_to_find_us.htm

I believe Ray also makes a delicious Polish sausage at his market that contains Tart Cherries as well.

Its worth the trip from anywhere to come to Michigan's Gold Coast for the cherry festival in July, The Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and to visit Ray's in the quiet little burg of Cedar (14 miles west of Traverse City) on the South Western shore of Lake Leelanau.
    ShenB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Michigan cherry burgers?????? 2007/05/06 01:29:58 (permalink)
    ShenB here again.

I found an actual order form for Ray Pleva's Meats along with prices. It dosen't appear that they have on-line ordering but they do have a toll-free number.

That sausage (Cherry-Pecan) I was trying to remember is also listed in the form too and it also is very good. In fact there are also many other varities of sausage containg cherries including Brats http://www.plevasmeats.com/order.html
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Michigan cherry burgers?????? 2007/05/06 09:55:44 (permalink)
    I've seen brats around here with cherry, but never a burger...
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Michigan cherry burgers?????? 2007/05/06 14:10:31 (permalink)
    Apparently, the cherries don't give much flavor - they are added as a filler and to give moistness....
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1