Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
planojim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
2007/08/08 18:04:02 (permalink)

Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Just got back from a barnstorming 1 1/2 day trip to the upper peninsula of Michigan. Wow, is it nice up there.

we crossed the Mackinaw Bridge and turned onto highway 2 to get to Brevort, home of Gustafson's Smoked Fish, reviewed on this site. We got the lake trout, salmon, and some beef jerkey. To me, the salmon was way too salty as to be in-edible, but the lake trout and jerkey were top notch.

From there, we went to Tahquamenon Falls. They have a brew pub right near the upper falls. They didn't have a stout nor an IPA, which saddened me deeply, but their red was hoppy enough to quench a thirst after a day of hiking around the falls. http://www.superiorsights.com/tahqfallsbrew/pub.html

They've converted the Coast Guard crew quarters at the Whitefish Point Lighthouse into a little 5 room B&B. Very nice to stay there. after the museum closes at 6pm, you basically get Lake Superior to yourselves. http://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/overnight.phtml

After checking in, we drove to the town of Paradise, MI for dinner. We ate at The Fish House. It was packed. I asked our waitress, the daughter of the owner, if I should have the perch, walleye, or whitefish. She said, "you want the whitefish. It was fished out of the bay this morning" Done and done. 3 pieces of fried whitefish, fries, cole slaw for $9.99. Very well worth it. On the way out, I asked the waitress if the restaurant was always that crowded, she said, "it is on Wednesdays, the other restaurant in town is closed today." I giggled. We also got an app of smoked white fish salad which was great. just enough mayo to hold everything together, but the fish was the star of the show as it should be. oh, and 1lb of smoked lake trout to go. Thumbs up. No credit cards, no alcohol.

The next day we drove back down to Paradise to have breakfast. We ate at The Berry Patch. Decent enough breakfast, eggs, bacon, etc. The also served pasties. I mispronounced it when I ordered it. The lady said "Pay-sties are what strippers wear....Pah-sties are what you eat." I giggled. Ground beef and potatoes inside of a crust. Kind of like a homemade Hot Pocket. Nothing remarkable, but good if dipped in gravy, and am glad to say I've tried one

On the way to Sault Ste Marie, we stopped in a town called Brimley, MI, and got some smoked whitefish dip at Wilcox Fisheries.
http://geocities.com/wilcoxfisheries/ WONDERFUL. the single best thing we ate on the trip. So good in fact, I was cursing that I'd only eaten about an hour and half before, because I bet that thier fried fish would have been out of this world.

We also stopped at the IGA in Brimley for some crackers to go with the whitefish dip, and danged if they didn't have 3 or 4 of my favorite micro brews in that little store, including Hazed and Infused. They also made thier own sausage, including one called Cudighi, which I'd never heard of before. It was almost like an italian sausage, but made with wine, and just a little paprika. We picked up 5 lbs to bring back down to the lower peninsula.

sadly, that was the extent of our eating up there. We didn't eat again until getting back to Traverse City (Don's Drive In and Moomers).

I lived in Michigan for over 20 years, and that was my first time in the UP. For the life of me, I can't figure out what took me so long.

39 Replies Related Threads

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/08 18:51:06 (permalink)
    I'll supply the visuals. Here is Tahquamenon Falls...

We camped there last year. The UP has two very good state parks in Tahquamenon Falls at the east end and Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park at the west end. It is unusual but a pleasant surprise to find a brewpub in a state park. I had the Black Bear Stout so they must have been out.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/08 19:14:12 (permalink)
    I have traveled to the UP many times and in fact have been around Superior several times. I have had the white fish at the Ojibway hotel that overlooks the locks at the locks several times and have enjoyed their whitefish.

I have spent the night several times in Thunderbay, Ontario.

Beautiful great area.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    SassyGritsAL
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/09 10:27:40 (permalink)
    I visited the UP a few years ago for the first time, and found it absolutely beautiful. I'm from AL and I went in late March and there was still snow on the ground.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/09 11:53:23 (permalink)
    Welcome back to Michigan Jim... Glad you enjoyed the beauty of the UP. You JUST missed all the excitement up there.. Tahquamenon Falls park was closed either Friday or Saturday due to a massive fire: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070808/UPDATE/708080433
    Then a life ring was found from the Edmund Fitzgerald also: http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6899650
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/09 11:59:37 (permalink)
    I love this area. We've done the Lke Superior Circle tour a few times, beautiful country and great little small town eateries. We frequently stopped in places for smoked fish and some cheese to have for a roadside (better yet, Lake side) lunch in our travels.
    bakman_01570
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/09 12:06:20 (permalink)
    my in-laws used to live in Marquette on the UP. I remember going to this place called Baby Cakes for muffins. In addition, there was this other popular dish/pot pie called Pasty. I just found a web site about the history:
    http://www.hu.mtu.edu/vup/pasty/history.htm

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/09 14:17:29 (permalink)
    Bakman, Pastys are a signature staple in the UP.. They're slowly making their way to the lower peninsula due to the demand for them.. (Especially in the winter months)..
    bakman_01570
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/09 14:22:51 (permalink)
    well i've found them to be a unique and appetizing treat...think I had one with spinach
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/10 06:02:07 (permalink)
    If there are any Yoopers or regular visitors to the UP out there, I'd love help with this one.

I went last summer and spent some time on the UP's back roads [i.e. dirt, gravel, bumpy & SLOW!]. But made a discovery I wish I had taken advantage of... I had left the Big Spring [Kitch-iti-kipi] near Indian Lake and was heading north toward Munising and stopped at a local market. It *might* be called Silver Lake Store? I asked about the homemade jerky and they only sold in quite big portions but they gave me a taste. After I left I ate it and wished I had splurged on whatever the minimum was, it was awesome! I'd like to try to get it mail-order.

I'll try to link a photo of the place. I know it's obscure but if anyone can help I'd be psyched!!! I was on a back road I think, not yet on "NF-13" probably. Thanks.
    cecif
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/10 06:38:36 (permalink)
    [url='http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecif/1069730057/'][/url]

the link works but i'd rather post the photo here - i have read ALL the FAQs and still cannot figure it out. can someone [Davydd??] help please? i know it's not supposed to be that hard but i tried & tried and can't get it going. thanks! thanks guys.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/10 10:04:42 (permalink)
    planojim-
    Where did you eat the food you bought at Gustafsson's? Just a few miles down the road, I was able to find a picnic table overlooking the water. It made the meal much more memorable!

By the way, thanks for the nice report!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/10 10:33:41 (permalink)
    I'm a regular visitor to the UP. We drive to and from Midland, MI at least once a year and always take the UP way and have covered most of it. Last year we camped at both Tahquamenon Falls State Park and Porcupine Mountain Wilderness SP. In the past Munising and Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore. Best road food town? Grand Marais, MI - West Bay Diner or the Lake Superior Brew Pub.

ceciflinn, go to Photobucket.com, create a free account there, upload your pictures, edit them to a standard 640 x 480 if you haven't already done so before uploading (my recommendation) and then copy the IMG tag they provide and paste it in the message here. It's easy to do, easy to manage and they give you four different tags for different situations online. It is the IMG tag that works here and most message board forums.
    cecif
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/10 10:42:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

ceciflinn, go to Photobucket.com, create a free account there, upload your pictures, edit them to a standard 640 x 480 if you haven't already done so before uploading (my recommendation) and then copy the IMG tag they provide and paste it in the message here. It's easy to do, easy to manage and they give you four different tags for different situations online. It is the IMG tag that works here and most message board forums.

Davydd I swear I am a clued in person and I used flickr instead of photobucket but I couldn't get it to work! Sigh. Al promises to find me full instructions, I am mystified. I am no web programmer but usually learn fast!

THANKS!
    p.s. I double-checked image size which is 500x375 so that's not the cause I presume...
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/10 12:10:59 (permalink)
    ceciflinn, do a quote of this message and see how I added the IMG tags to your http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1014/1069730057_d7333ccfec.jpg?v=0 referenced in your message. That's the url address you want to use from Flickr.

In Photobucket the Image tags are generated for you or you can add them manually. You can also click on "Reply to Topic" where there is the format bar and click on the "Insert Image" icon and then paste the url address between the tags.
    cecif
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/10 12:35:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

ceciflinn, do a quote of this message and see how I added the IMG tags ... referenced in your message. That's the url address you want to use from Flickr.

In Photobucket the Image tags are generated for you or you can add them manually. You can also click on "Reply to Topic" where there is the format bar and click on the "Insert Image" icon and then paste the url address between the tags.

I swear I did exactly that!!!!! Must've been missing an ] or something??? Hmmmmm. THANKS though!!!!!
    ccf
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6460
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/10 17:38:59 (permalink)
    UncleVic

It is amazing after all this time that the life ring was found.

Like they said in the article, "if that life ring could talk"

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/10 18:34:48 (permalink)
    I hear ya CK. Wonder what else may have broken lose, and floating around now.. This is a definite slice of UP history still coming to life.
    cecif
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/11 07:50:59 (permalink)
    That was interesting reading guys - thanks!

Sadly I looked at the wikipedia entry for Edmund Fitz, to remind myself of the facts, and whoever wrote the new bit about the life ring is a complete skeptic...

Anyone experience the wildfires??!!
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/11 11:32:15 (permalink)
    CeCi- I can't find the instructions anywhere... I don't know how they would have disappeared. It has been several years since I posted using the off-site stuff and I can't recall how the heck I did it... Sorry
    cecif
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/11 14:06:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

CeCi- I can't find the instructions anywhere... I don't know how they would have disappeared. It has been several years since I posted using the off-site stuff and I can't recall how the heck I did it... Sorry

Thanks Al, see above! Just to prove to myself I understood Davydd's instructions I did it again. Thought I had done the same thing originally - obviously not. All good now!

Hey apologies to all in this topic for not taking all this offline but now I have learnt the trick, I guess we could all edit the junk out of our posts? [Do RFers other?]

Cheers & thanks again!
    syrup
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/16 13:08:26 (permalink)
    When I went to college at Northern Michigan they served Cudighi in the caferteria. The UP has a sizeable Italian population.
    lennonlover2005
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/17 00:47:14 (permalink)
    This sad news is about a famous Michigan landmark that is closing...They aren't Yoopers though....I am going there since I never had a chance before now. It was reviewed by The Sterns and they went crazy for it.

The last hurrah!: Juilleret’s closing its doors after 112 years in Harbor Springs

After 32 years of ownership, James (right) and Martha Juilleret will be closing the doors to the 112-year-old, family-run Juilleret’s Family Restaurant in September. It has been owned and operated by the same family for four generations. (Kirsten Fredrickson/News-Review)

By Kirsten Fredrickson News-Review Staff Writer
    Story updated: Monday, August 6, 2007 11:54 AM EDT

HARBOR SPRINGS — Every summer as a child Joyce Smith returned to Bay View to enjoy swimming in Little Traverse Bay, listening to live music provided every Sunday and traveling to Harbor Springs for homemade ice cream at Juilleret’s Family Restaurant.

“Every year when we were up it was tradition for us to go to Juilleret’s,” Smith recalled as she enjoyed the restaurant’s signature Thunder Cloud — a homemade ice cream sundae topped with a cloud of marshmallow topping. “Then I brought my kids here and now my kids bring their kids.”

Just like the generations that have enjoyed the Harbor Springs restaurant, four generations of the Juilleret family have owned and operated the 112-year-old landmark eatery.

It began in 1895 when Joseph A. Juilleret opened a boat livery and ice cream shop. And it will end this September when Jim and Martha Juilleret close the doors on the restaurant for the last time.

“It’s something we’ve worked toward,” Martha said of the difficult decision to close. “We could easily be here at 80 (years old), but it gets too hard.”

Jim, 60, and Martha, 54, said they have both put their hearts and souls — not to mention 15 or more hours a day, six days a week — into the restaurant for the past 32 years.

“We just can’t imagine people lined up out the door, crazy busy, and not be here to help,” Martha said.

That’s why those who go to Juilleret’s to enjoy its renowned planked whitefish, burgers and homemade ice cream treats, made with homemade toppings, will often see the owners at all hours.

“If they come back for dinner (after having lunch), they can still wave at us,” Jim said, adding that he’s often there till midnight preparing homemade goodies for the next day.

Despite knowing it’s time for them to hang up their aprons, Jim and Martha said there are definitely aspects of Juilleret’s that they will miss.

Jim, after all, has been working at the family business since he was 10 years old. That’s back when they were making their own french fries from potatoes and hamburgers from locally provided beef.

“It was like a community,” Jim said of those who worked alongside him as he was growing up. “It was fantastic. It was like a big fraternity or sorority.”

Not much has changed. The employees, many local high school students whose own parents once worked at Juilleret’s, are still like one big family. Even the customers, many who have brought generations of their own family to eat there, have become like family.

“I’ll miss the customers, the people we work with,” Jim said with a sad smile.

Bay View resident Paddie Zetterberg said she, too, will miss the family atmosphere she’s enjoyed at Juilleret’s since her first trip in 1956.

“It’s just heartbreaking,” she said of the restaurant closing. “My children were hooked on it. Now my grandkids are here and they’re hooked on it. Juilleret’s is an addiction.”

That love for Juilleret’s, which Jim and Martha have discovered is shared by local residents and visitors alike, has caused a celebration this final summer in Juilleret’s history.

“We were just going to go quietly out. But we were told that you just don’t go quietly out of a 112-year-old restaurant,” Jim said.

So staff members have been decked out in “The Last Hurrah!” and “Last Staff Standing” T-shirts. And guests have been stopping by to get one last bite of food or simply a look at the place. There’s even been inquires about getting a piece of history, such as ceiling tiles or even the jukebox, when it closes.

“Everyone would like a little part of it,” Jim said. “We’re just taking our time and deciding what to do.”

Kirsten Fredrickson can be reached at 439-9398, or kfredrickson@petoskeynews.com.
    cecif
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/17 13:50:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lennonlover2005

This sad news is about a famous Michigan landmark that is closing...They aren't Yoopers though....I am going there since I never had a chance before now. It was reviewed by The Sterns and they went crazy for it.

The last hurrah!: Juilleret’s closing its doors after 112 years in Harbor Springs

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    But it's so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank gawd I made it there last summer [on the way to the UP]...
    So sad.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/21 21:00:14 (permalink)
    I posted the story of the Edmund Fitzgerald life ring being found... Turns out the story is a NO GO..
    http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?s=6953374

Edmund Fitzgerald life ring not real

Updated: Aug 19, 2007 10:40 PM

GRAND RAPIDS - That life ring from the Edmund Fitzgerald found a few weeks ago? Well, it's not.

The Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum confirmed the ring is not the real thing, even though they originally believed it to be.

The ring is believed to have been stolen from a cottage in Eagle River a few years ago, and it was those cottage owners who painted the words "Edmund Fitzgerald" on it.

Joe Rasch, who with his daughters found the ring while on vacation earlier this month, said he's disappointed and he'll probably hang it in his shed.
    cecif
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/22 06:23:44 (permalink)
    Yeah, bummer. I read the links you sent and then went reading more about the wreck etc... and the wikipedia article totally dissed the possibility it was real, but that was before it had been checked... kinda sad. Oh well. At least you gave me a great history lesson about the wreck - I didn't remember most of it, I was pretty young.

UPnorthgirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/27 17:01:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ceciflinn

If there are any Yoopers or regular visitors to the UP out there, I'd love help with this one.

I went last summer and spent some time on the UP's back roads [i.e. dirt, gravel, bumpy & SLOW!]. But made a discovery I wish I had taken advantage of... I had left the Big Spring [Kitch-iti-kipi] near Indian Lake and was heading north toward Munising and stopped at a local market. It *might* be called Silver Lake Store? I asked about the homemade jerky and they only sold in quite big portions but they gave me a taste. After I left I ate it and wished I had splurged on whatever the minimum was, it was awesome! I'd like to try to get it mail-order.

I'll try to link a photo of the place. I know it's obscure but if anyone can help I'd be psyched!!! I was on a back road I think, not yet on "NF-13" probably. Thanks.

UPnorthgirl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/27 17:10:26 (permalink)
    I think that this could be the Thunder Lake Store.. It is right about where the blacktop ends and the road then becomes dirt. They also serve great pizza.

quote:
    Originally posted by ceciflinn

Text
    cecif
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/27 19:15:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UPnorthgirl

I think that this could be the Thunder Lake Store.. It is right about where the blacktop ends and the road then becomes dirt. They also serve great pizza.

Oooh oooh oooh! Welcome to RF, UPnorthgirl!!!!
    I think you might be right!!

Any chance you might be able to post their phone number?!

I loved the U.P. btw, I have a really good friend (in CA) from Manistique and he talked me into going and told me where to go.
    cecif
    RE: Michigan's Upper Peninsula 2007/08/27 19:25:48 (permalink)
    WAIT! STOP THE PRESS! It *is* Thunder Lake Store!!!!
    I googled 'em and they have a website! And it has their photo - which matches!
    YAY UPnorthgirl! YOU ROCK!
    ccf
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1