Mickey D going Angus

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 915
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/03 11:39:16 (permalink)
MiamiDon

In all it's glory:

Trust me....mine did not even resemble one of those. As mentioned, it was dry and boring.

AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1303
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/04 10:20:07 (permalink)
cameron074

AndreaB
I'm not paying $4 for a McDonald's burger.  I even make my own Big Macs at home now and think I've got the recipe down.
Andrea

Is the special sauce just thousand island dressing? I've never had a Big Mac so I don't know, but I think that's what I've heard.

That's what I use --- but you can also mix Mayo, French dressing, and pickle relish.
For $3.59 I'd rather make 'em at home.

As for these new Angus burgers, I won't try them unless we get one of the two for one coupons.

Andrea
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6349
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/04 10:58:01 (permalink)
tommyeats

Cosmos

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31686986/ns/business-food_inc/

$4.00 angus burgers coming to a neighborhood near you. Does it matter if its angus if it still has flavor additives?

what makes you say McDonald's has "flavor additives" in its beef?  McDonald's, like most chains, serve 100% beef patties, simply seasoned, in McDonald's case, with salt and pepper.

4 dollars isn't a lot of money.  i'll try one, and then go back to the other stuff that I grew up with and still crave.  the new items are developed seemingly to renew interest in the brand, but people go back for the signature items over the years.  

All beef simply means "comes from a cow" Fasdt food burgers usually add ground bone marrow to their meat...looks like corn meal(or breadcrumbs)  A legit filler...and it actually adds nutrition.
   Nonetheless...it's not 100% pure ground beef. Look at the edge of that patty...notice it doesn't look like your homemade. Had a friend who worked at a trash burger factory.....remember 100% all beef simply means 100% from a cow!!!!
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/04 12:13:43 (permalink)
Hey Lee - you obviously know something about the subject..Can't the same thing be said for Angus?  Isn't Angus  just a type of breed? That means that as long as you get any part of the meat or any grade opf the meat from that breed, it can be called Angus beef. As in an Angus Burger. 

Gradings are still the same..Prime, choice, good, utility, etc....Each of those animals, after slaughter, goes through the line and is graded just like another breed.  I mean, McDonald's is not grinding up prime Angus beef for their burgers are they?  It could be from a carcass graded "good" couldn't it?

I also seem to remember that there is an Angus Beef Growers Association and for years, back in the 70's, they have tried to separate themselves from the rest of the cattle farmers and make their brand the "go to brand" amongst consumers.  Like when you see an Angus beef, it's supposed to mean it is the best beef on the planet.

Maybe you know more about this?  Hey, anyone who knows about the addition of ground bone meal in a F/F gets my attention.  You know they also use that bone meal for fertilizer..Same thing with the blood; blood meal.  There is nothing wasted at the slaughter house..the animals hoof...Glue.  I've been to one.  An amazing experience.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6349
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/05 08:01:47 (permalink)
Baah Ben,
    Is bone meal and bone marrow the same? "Bone Marrow" is what they put in cheap burgers. I was told it stretched the meat, was still 100% beef, of course, and since marrow has lots of nutrients in it, is actually good for you A micky D burger is better for having it in!!. Sure, they could do the same with Angus beef, too.
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 732
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/05 17:13:27 (permalink)
I tried one of these for supper yesterday, and ate another one today at lunch.

Conclusion: your best bet is to get an Angus Burger with no condiments and either a bun designed for a quarter-pounder or a regular hamburger.  The sandwich, as it currently stands, has a bun that's too large; it absorbs too much of the meat flavor.  If you put an Angus Burger on a regular hamburger bun, you'll have something like a Texas Tenderloin, only with a hamburger.  It's much better that way,  Try it!

tommyeats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/06 16:01:46 (permalink)
leethebard

All beef simply means "comes from a cow" Fasdt food burgers usually add ground bone marrow to their meat...looks like corn meal(or breadcrumbs)  A legit filler...and it actually adds nutrition.
   Nonetheless...it's not 100% pure ground beef. Look at the edge of that patty...notice it doesn't look like your homemade. Had a friend who worked at a trash burger factory.....remember 100% all beef simply means 100% from a cow!!!!

i'd like to see a reference cited for this assertion.  

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1859
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/06 16:12:43 (permalink)
Angus is simply a cattle breed being hyped and pushed by heavy marketing. Every primal cut gets rated like every other breed.  Being Angus doesn't mean it's Prime, Choice, or Select, it can still be a lower commercial or even utility grades.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/06 16:16:38 (permalink)
I always thought McDonalds served 100% "bef"

tommyeats
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 277
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/06 16:28:42 (permalink)
WarToad

Angus is simply a cattle breed being hyped and pushed by heavy marketing. Every primal cut gets rated like every other breed.  Being Angus doesn't mean it's Prime, Choice, or Select, it can still be a lower commercial or even utility grades.

While I agree that the term "angus" is essentially pointless when it comes to the quality of beef, the Certified Angus Beef program has strict guidelines vis-a-vis grading, and you'll likely not find a carcass getting the CAB designation if it's in the Select or even low end of the Choice range.   In fact their aim is for the highest end of Choice at the low end, and Prime at the high end.

But yeah, "angus" is about as pointless as "kobe."
drpep
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 335
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/08/11 21:05:54 (permalink)
Had a coupon gave it a try, left the cheese stuff off. Not bad for a fast food burger. I've had burgers from local places that I could almost compare this to. Places that use frozen pattys from Sysco or whomever. I agree with above poster it needs a different bun.
 I'll stick to Mcdoubles unless I have a coupon.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/08/11 21:39:22 (permalink)
stopped at a MD's last week, I wanted to try one in a combo meal.
$6.99 ? are you kidding me? for that garbage?
I got 2 Mc Chickens for $2,12 inc. tax
thats all MD's is worth to me
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/08/12 06:55:25 (permalink)
I've tried them twice now. I usually give a new FF burger two chances.

Both times were very disappointing....Standard "combo" pricing, six or seven bucks.

Like others have said, the burger was dry and didn't have much flavor at all for supposedly being "Angus" beef. Reminded me very much of the Arch Deluxe or the Big and Tasty....both very bad in my opinion also.

Won't be back for a third.....
collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 165
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/08/12 11:07:40 (permalink)
I'll stick with Hardee's or other places when it comes to this whole trend.  Leave the more premium burgers to people who know what they are doing.  McD's needs to stick to what it does best - cheap fast food, both in price and quality.
collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 165
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/08/18 09:28:07 (permalink)
I actually tried one of the mushroom-swiss Angus burgers last night.  Generally dry and very little flavor.  Better than most other items they serve, but that's not saying much.  As I originally thought, Hardee's burgers in this category blow McD's away by comparison.
jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/08/19 13:13:06 (permalink)
I agree with Pancho on this one ,I had the Deluxe last night and it was awful,It had a strange after taste and I had to take off the pickles,lettucce and onions.Nothing worked on this Burger.Hardees does a better job with their Burgers  and that ain't saying a lot.
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 307
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/08/19 20:23:03 (permalink)
well said jellybear
ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1512
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/08/19 22:30:03 (permalink)
I agree the angus burger had a funny taste and I didn't care for at all. My closest Mcd is trying something else new, I believe it's called "fast food served very slowly"
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/09/04 08:20:37 (permalink)
They distributed coupons with the newspaper here for free fries and a soda if one bought a 1/3-pounder.  I had the regular (or whatever it's called) that has lettuce, tomato, onions, and American cheese.

Everything was fine..... except for the burger.  I didn't like the taste.  It had what I think of as "oven cooked steak" taste, like it was cooked at too low a temperature to convert the proteins (or whatever it is that happens on a grill).  No doubt it is cooked in the same clam-shell cookers that McDonald's uses for all their other burgers, but is it so much larger than their other sizes (4 oz. & 1.6 oz.) that it doesn't come out the same.  Or maybe because there is so much more of it in proportion to the rest of the sandwich, that it is noticeable.  Mind you, I have often grabbed a Double Cheeseburger (or now a McDouble) in the drive-through for a quick bite to eat, and I am fine with them. 

In summary: Blech!
bartl
  • Total Posts : 1339
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/09/07 14:18:36 (permalink)
MiamiDon Mind you, I have often grabbed a Double Cheeseburger (or now a McDouble) in the drive-through for a quick bite to eat, and I am fine with them. 

McDouble is, at least in my area, the most "food for your buck" burger they have. If I want a cheap, filling lunch, it is one of my primary choices (unless a Subway is available, and I like the $2.50 6" of the day). But it is a bit different from the Double Cheeseburger, which is still sold. The difference is that a McDouble has one slice of cheese, while a double cheeseburger has 2 slices of cheese. If your McDonald's has both, look at the price difference, and decide if the extra slice is worth the extra price (I've seen gaps anywhere from 20 to 70 cents, with the median more towards 20; frankly, the only way I'd go with the Double Cheeseburger is if it were the same price or less, but that's my own preference).
Gyp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 160
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/09/08 04:39:12 (permalink)
Greymo

They will lose their shirts on this one!  No one goes  to  McDonalds  to spend   that much money for a burger.                                                                                                             

That includes me and I'm generally not at all frugal. I just can't pull the trigger when I'm in the drive thru, knowing that I can get four sandwiches from the dollar menu for the same price.
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/09/08 14:20:27 (permalink)
I had one yesterday. Like many others here, I noticed a "funny taste". Well, the burgers I prepare with Southern Bar-B-Que Sauce, Inc's sauce also have a funny taste, but in a good way. So, I pulled up the ingredients list off McDoanald's web site. These burgers all have what they call an "Angus Patty". Pure ground beef from Angus Cattle? Read this:

Angus Beef Patty:
100% Angus beef. Prepared with Grill Seasoning (salt, black pepper) and Angus Burger Seasoning: Salt, sugar, dextrose, onion powder, maltodextrin, natural butter flavor (dairy source), autolyzed yeast extract, spices, garlic powder, vegetable protein (hydrolyzed corn, soy and wheat), natural (animal, plant and botanical source) and artificial flavors, dried beef broth, sunflower oil, caramel color, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oil, gum arabic, soy sauce solids (wheat, soybean, salt, maltodextrin, caramel color), palm oil, worcestershire sauce powder [distilled vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, salt, caramel color, garlic powder, sugar, spices, tamarind, natural flavor (fruit source)], beef fat, annatto and turmeric (color), calcium silicate and soybean oil (prevent caking).
CONTAINS: MILK, SOY AND WHEAT.

Its kind of hard to tell if they add the Angus Burger Seasoning at the restaurant, or at the packing plant, added before the burger is frozen.
post edited by David_NYC - 2009/09/08 23:26:19
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2165
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/10/03 12:59:51 (permalink)
I passed a truck unloading food in front of a McDonalds. Some of the boxes contained frozen burgers. There were some boxes that said 100% pure beef. Other boxes said Angus Burgers. I believe the seasoning is added at the packing plant. If you don't like it, you can't ask the restaurant to prepare one for you without any seasoning at all. This appears to be like the nuggets and fish products, where much of the processing took place in a factory
Eatallday
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 76
Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/10/09 14:22:44 (permalink)
the picture makes it look like a fat restaurant burger, but it really just tastes like a slightly bigger quarter pounder, maybe slightly better.  what's with all the soy going in burgers.  i feel like burger king uses a lot of it.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1