Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1453
2009/07/01 17:00:07 (permalink)

Mickey D going Angus

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31686986/ns/business-food_inc/

$4.00 angus burgers coming to a neighborhood near you. Does it matter if its angus if it still has flavor additives?

53 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3752
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 17:53:28 (permalink)
    They will lose their shirts on this one!  No one goes  to  McDonalds  to spend   that much money for a burger.  Add the  price of fires and the  drink  and   why would one bother?                                                                                                                            
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3618
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 19:08:03 (permalink)
    Greymo

They will lose their shirts on this one!  No one goes  to  McDonalds  to spend   that much money for a burger.  Add the  price of fires and the  drink  and   why would one bother?                                                                                                                            

Have you seen their burger prices lately?  That's not that much more than a regular one.  Not including the value menu, of course.  I think it's $3.50-ish for a Big Mac.
    brittneal
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 19:49:19 (permalink)

I remember griping at paying $3.69 for a plain Big-Mac at full price.  A better burger would be worth near the same.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 19:52:14 (permalink)
    I do not even conceive in my wildest dream of going to Mickey D for anything.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 20:10:28 (permalink)
    after they get done killing it, it will taste just like their other burgers.
    you could give the FF chains Kobe beef & it will come out tasting like their usual butt steak
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 20:12:02 (permalink)
    Cosmos

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31686986/ns/business-food_inc/

$4.00 angus burgers coming to a neighborhood near you. Does it matter if its angus if it still has flavor additives?

what makes you say McDonald's has "flavor additives" in its beef?  McDonald's, like most chains, serve 100% beef patties, simply seasoned, in McDonald's case, with salt and pepper.

4 dollars isn't a lot of money.  i'll try one, and then go back to the other stuff that I grew up with and still crave.  the new items are developed seemingly to renew interest in the brand, but people go back for the signature items over the years.  
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 21:12:04 (permalink)
    Can't wait to hear the reports on this new product.  I'm sure they spent a ton of money preparing for this. 

I'd try one if they'd make it medium rare.....
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 21:19:30 (permalink)
    I wonder why they don't bring back their ten cent hamburgers.
    brittneal
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 21:38:59 (permalink)
    Remember when McD went Pizza back around 91?  They had just bought some big Columbus Oh Chain.  Pappa Johns I think.  The had a big push over the individual pan Pizza for awhile and-Poof...  bet that was a good tax year for them!

I new it was a Columbus chain that hit the bifgs.  It wasnt PJ's but Donnatos.  it looks like MD has the comapny on the block with intentions of retaing control Of the Chipotle interests!
    post edited by brittneal - 2009/07/02 04:28:12
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 21:43:05 (permalink)
    How have their McRibs held up?
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 22:11:10 (permalink)
    brittneal

Remember when McD went Pizza back around 91?  They had just bought some big Columbus Oh Chain.  Pappa Johns I think.  The had a big push over the individual pan Pizza for awhile and-Poof...  bet that was a good tax year for them!

i'm just curious, what are you implying when you say that you bet it was a "good tax year"?  

As far as products that come and go, surely it's no surprise to anyone that this is and has been the norm for chain restaurants for many years, and it's part of their business plan.  Surely.  
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3618
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/01 22:23:46 (permalink)
    tommyeats

As far as products that come and go, surely it's no surprise to anyone that this is and has been the norm for chain restaurants for many years, and it's part of their business plan.  Surely.  

Ah yes, but if some people didn't get in at least one post every 24 hours ranting about how awful (insert chain's name here) is, their lives would feel incomplete.
    brittneal
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 04:22:26 (permalink)

What I meant by Tax Year was just a jest.  i derserve a flag for bieng frivolous.  I cant speak for the logistics of the McD Pizza experiment except to say that I did live in a fair sized city while it was going on.  I was in Columbus, Oh.  I wont venture to guess about how much they invested or even how many McD's in that Metro Area were affected!  I will say that in the general area there must have been over 20 McD and as far as I remember from the ads everyone was equpped to sell them.  If you put all the affected stores nation wie(unless it was a regional promotinas the pizza co they gobbled was a columbus venture), and consider that after a very  short time McD's no longer even offered pizza at any place I recalled. Then we are talking of a major loss in investment vs revenue!  Hence  a tax write of.  it would be interesting to know how hard that hit them financcially.  Its never mentioned to my knowledge but has to be one of the biggest financial mistakes in a fast food history!
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 06:03:07 (permalink)
    I suspect the investment was a small portion of their overall R&D budget. Just another cost of doing business, as is this current venture.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 06:35:29 (permalink)
    brittneal

What I meant by Tax Year was just a jest.  i derserve a flag for bieng frivolous.  I cant speak for the logistics of the McD Pizza experiment except to say that I did live in a fair sized city while it was going on.  I was in Columbus, Oh.  I wont venture to guess about how much they invested or even how many McD's in that Metro Area were affected!  I will say that in the general area there must have been over 20 McD and as far as I remember from the ads everyone was equpped to sell them.  If you put all the affected stores nation wie(unless it was a regional promotinas the pizza co they gobbled was a columbus venture), and consider that after a very  short time McD's no longer even offered pizza at any place I recalled. Then we are talking of a major loss in investment vs revenue!  Hence  a tax write of.  it would be interesting to know how hard that hit them financcially.  Its never mentioned to my knowledge but has to be one of the biggest financial mistakes in a fast food history!

There was a McD's in Vienna, Va that had the pizza for awhile, must have been one of the Beta stores. It was funny because there were at least 4 other McD's in a 5 mile radius that didn't have the pizza product.

I tried the pizza once, the pepperoni version, never tried it again....I don't remember it being all that awful, just not something I thought was worth trying again.

I always found it odd that this one particular store was the only McD's I had ever seen the pizza at...
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 07:10:59 (permalink)
    brittneal

a good indicator, for the casual observer, of a multi-national corporation's financials is its stock price...which was doing well during the great Columbus Ohio pizza fiasco of 1991.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 12:23:39 (permalink)
    They'd be better off putting, say, a "MiniMac" on the value menu and having just one beef patti, pickles, onions, lettuce and cheese and the Big Mac sauce and skip the bun that's in the middle. 

I'm not paying $4 for a McDonald's burger.  I even make my own Big Macs at home now and think I've got the recipe down.

Andrea
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 12:52:23 (permalink)
    Yes, but what you can make at home is not germaine.
    cameron074
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 12:53:36 (permalink)
    AndreaB
    I'm not paying $4 for a McDonald's burger.  I even make my own Big Macs at home now and think I've got the recipe down.
      Andrea

Is the special sauce just thousand island dressing? I've never had a Big Mac so I don't know, but I think that's what I've heard.
    brittneal
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 13:32:35 (permalink)

Ath least the clown in the box has the decency to call it "jack Sauce"!.  How many hell nos! can you add to "do you want Jack Sauce on that?"
    pjoe
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 13:37:12 (permalink)
    brittneal

I did a case study on McD's a few years back. Believe it or not, the Arch Deluxe was a bigger flop than the pizza. They spent an INSANE amount in hopes of making McDonald's more appealing to adults. Obviously, it didn't work and I doubt an angus burger will either. The whole angus craze is kinda ridiculous to begin with.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8666
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 15:51:27 (permalink)
    McRib is a preformed meat patty with some sauce on it....didnt do well here in Milwaukee. As far as angus burgers at Mickey Dees-wont do it.....
    post edited by annpeeples - 2009/07/02 15:52:48
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 16:18:56 (permalink)
    Pure curiosity made me try one today. I had the "Deluxe"....lettuce, tomato, cheese and onion. It was lousy....dry and rather tasteless, bun had a weird texture, mustard was terrible. Never again. I do like the sweet tea, though.
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 17:07:22 (permalink)
    I had one of these last night. The kiddiwinkles clamored for McDonalds (more for the playroom and the dinosaur toys than for anything else. They like Five Guys.) so I brought a book and read while they played.

The angus burger was bigger than your standard Big & Tasty (which I usually get). It had real red onion on it, and lettuce, and a huge slice of tomato. I had them hold the cheese. (Can't stand that icky "cheese" they use.)  The beef didn't taste much different, but it was certainly bigger and thicker.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 17:31:38 (permalink)
    AndreaB

They'd be better off putting, say, a "MiniMac" on the value menu and having just one beef patti, pickles, onions, lettuce and cheese and the Big Mac sauce and skip the bun that's in the middle. 

Andrea

Order a double cheesburger with lettuce and Mac sauce in addition to it's regular ingredients and you're good to go. Locally it's an extra 25 cents for the lettuce and Mac sauce, brings it to about $1.50.

AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 18:47:09 (permalink)
    Yah, John A you can do that too --- I just think these expensive burgers aren't going to go over well.  Many are on a budget these days and their eyes are on the value menu.

Andrea
    westley
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 21:24:57 (permalink)
    I tried the Deluxe Angus Burger for dinner tonight, and it was pretty good.  The meat patty is much more substantial and beefy tasting than any of their other burgers.  I upgraded the soda to a large and the combo was still only a little more than $6 -- so it wasn't outrageously expensive. 

Obviously it doesn't rival homemade.  However, I don't cook burgers at home, so I'm always looking for good alternatives at fast food places. 

This one was a step above McDonald's other burgers although not as good as Backyard Burgers or Hardee's Thickburgers (which vary in quality every time I go).
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8333
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/02 22:09:35 (permalink)
    I guess Los Angeles has been the test market.  We've had them for a year or more.

Huge dry burger.

They were mailing out coupons... buy one, get one free.

My mother loves her coupons so that's where we had to go.

I had the Mushroom Swiss and Mom had the Delux.  The lettuce and tomatoes on the Delux made it edible.

My dogs liked mine.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Mickey D going Angus 2009/07/03 08:58:50 (permalink)
    In all it's glory:

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1