Micro breweries

Author
GotBaddog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
2011/12/06 13:36:18 (permalink)

Micro breweries

I travel a lot. Most of it is around the US and I have a thing for local brews, so when it is time for lunch [sometimes dinner] if there is a micro brewery around I make it a point to stop at their brew pub for a flight/sampler plate of their beers. For the most part, I have been very happy.

So, my question is, what micro-breweries/brew pubs are local to you that I should put on my list of places to stop by?

17 Replies Related Threads

mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7770
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/06 14:00:05 (permalink)
    The only place locally that I've tried is a chain so I'm not sure if it's a micro-brew or not.  It's in your neighborhood:

The Yardhouse.  I've had a sample of several beers there.

My favorite was in the early '80s in Portland.  Widmer in the downtown area.  So good that you can now buy it in your local markets.

kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/06 14:16:19 (permalink)
    GotBaddog

I travel a lot. Most of it is around the US and I have a thing for local brews, so when it is time for lunch [sometimes dinner] if there is a micro brewery around I make it a point to stop at their brew pub for a flight/sampler plate of their beers. For the most part, I have been very happy.

So, my question is, what micro-breweries/brew pubs are local to you that I should put on my list of places to stop by?

While these are neither brew pubs or micro breweries, if you are in the Atlanta area, hit a Taco Mac. Great food, and an absolutely astonishing beer selection. Another, while there are only three in the Atlanta are, are Summits Wayside Taverns. Best bar food in Atlanta, and as good of a beer selection as Taco Mac.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6326
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/06 18:13:33 (permalink)
    You could spend a year in Colorado and not get to all of them.

Here a three fairly brand new ones.

Castle Danger Brewery on Minnesota's North Shore.

Fulton Beer in Minneapolis. There is a new move for microbreweries in the Twin Cities due to changes in laws that are allowing on premise sales. This is one of the first and there are more planned including one in my hometown, Excelsior.

Old Bisbee Brewing Company in Bisbee, Arizona is a recent startup. Great place to stop and quaff a brew at their small open air bar right on premise.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/06 18:25:21 (permalink)
    Some of the best ones east of the Rocky Mountains you'll find in either Vermont or Maine....

Maine

Allagash Brewing Portland ME
    Sebago Brewing Scarborough ME
    Shipyard Brewing- Portland ME
    Geary's Brewing- Portland ME
    Gritty Mc Duff's Portland ME

Vermont

Long Trail Brewing  Bridgewater Corners VT
    Magic Hat Brewing  South Burlington VT
    Three Needs Taproom Burlington VT
    Vermont Brewing Burlington VT
    Otter Creek Brewing  Middlebury VT 

GotBaddog
    Junior Burger
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/06 19:09:48 (permalink)
    mar52

The only place locally that I've tried is a chain so I'm not sure if it's a micro-brew or not.  It's in your neighborhood:

The Yardhouse.  I've had a sample of several beers there.

I have been to a couple I think. Down around Long Beach area. I think I enjoyed the outdoor seating as much as the beer.

kevincad

While these are neither brew pubs or micro breweries, if you are in the Atlanta area, hit a Taco Mac. Great food, and an absolutely astonishing beer selection. Another, while there are only three in the Atlanta are, are Summits Wayside Taverns. Best bar food in Atlanta, and as good of a beer selection as Taco Mac.

I have been to the ATL a couple times in the past few years, will remember. Thanks
    GotBaddog
    Junior Burger
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/06 19:15:09 (permalink)
    Davydd

on Minnesota's North Shore.

in Minneapolis. There is a new move for microbreweries in the Twin Cities due to changes in laws that are allowing on premise sales. This is one of the first and there are more planned including one in my hometown, Excelsior.

in Bisbee, Arizona is a recent startup. Great place to stop and quaff a brew at their small open air bar right on premise.

Have you been to Main Street Brewery in Cortez? Amazing food and beer and brew their own root beer as well.

I have been to a few nice ones in Flagstaff but not sure I know where Bisbee is.  Oak Creek Brewing Company in Sedona was nice. Friendly people too.
    GotBaddog
    Junior Burger
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/06 19:16:48 (permalink)
    Sorry, I don't seem to have figured out your multi quote feature

wanderingjew

Some of the best ones east of the Rocky Mountains you'll find in either Vermont or Maine....

Maine

Vermont

Sad to say, but New England is one place I have yet to go. Now it seems I have a good reason to. Thanks

* I just noticed the Portland was ME not OR. I have a cousin in the second one that says there are a ton of nice ones there too.

post edited by GotBaddog - 2011/12/06 19:18:26
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7686
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/06 20:15:29 (permalink)
    GotBaddog

Sorry, I don't seem to have figured out your multi quote feature

wanderingjew

Maine

Vermont

Sad to say, but New England is one place I have yet to go. Now it seems I have a good reason to. Thanks

* I just noticed the Portland was ME not OR. I have a cousin in the second one that says there are a ton of nice ones there too.

Absolutely,

Microbrews in the Pacific Northwest can't be beat. The best in the country as far as I'm concerned.  I lived in Seattle for three years back in the early 90's and can certainly vouch for Microbrews in Portland Oregon, however I've been living here in New England since 2000 so I've become much more familiar with craft brews in this neck of the woods.
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/07 09:06:02 (permalink)
    I'll second Wanderingjew's list for Vermont.  Indeed, Vermont has a shockingly large number of breweries for a state with 700,000 population.  I'll also add a favorite to his list: Jasper Murdock's Alehouse in Norwich, VT.

Also: Flying Goose in New London, NH (15 minutes from my house).
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/07 11:00:11 (permalink)
    GotBaddog

Davydd

on Minnesota's North Shore.

in Minneapolis. There is a new move for microbreweries in the Twin Cities due to changes in laws that are allowing on premise sales. This is one of the first and there are more planned including one in my hometown, Excelsior.

in Bisbee, Arizona is a recent startup. Great place to stop and quaff a brew at their small open air bar right on premise.

Have you been to Main Street Brewery in Cortez? Amazing food and beer and brew their own root beer as well.

I have been to a few nice ones in Flagstaff but not sure I know where Bisbee is.  Oak Creek Brewing Company in Sedona was nice. Friendly people too.

I've been to Oak Creek Brewing in Sedona. I bought some local Flagstaff beers but haven't visited any brewery there. Bisbee is way down in southeast Arizona. Neat town. Worth a visit.
    GotBaddog
    Junior Burger
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/07 13:02:51 (permalink)
    Oh, I see it over by Sierra Vista. I have not been there since February 1987. Yeah, there is a reason I remember that. ;)
    ScreamingChicken
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4978
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/07 15:08:19 (permalink)
    Davydd

I bought some local Flagstaff beers but haven't visited any brewery there.

For a minute there I thought you wrote you bought some local Falstaff beers...
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4587
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/07 17:38:40 (permalink)
    Caldera Brewing Ashland Oregon Canning Craft Beer -Caldera Tap House
     Southern Oregon Brewing Company, Medford Oregon
     Wild River Brewing
    3 of our Southern Oregon local brews.  Caldera is also distributed. They formerly worked at Rogue when it was still here, before the flood.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/07 21:22:40 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

Davydd

I bought some local Flagstaff beers but haven't visited any brewery there.

For a minute there I thought you wrote you bought some local Falstaff beers...

Not in a long time.
    rmaleh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/07 21:36:27 (permalink)
    if you find yourself on the Eastern Shore of Maryland don't miss EVO Brewing (just north of Salisbury, MD in Delmar, DE or Burley Oak in Berlin, MD (just outside Ocean City, MD).  In Georgetown, DE there is 16 mile.  These three form a triangle and are an easy day drive to hit all three.  None of them have food, just beer and if you are lucky a few pretzels. 

A powerhouse in the area, but I'm not a fan, is Dogfish Head.  I will share their brewery tour is interesting and their pours/taste post tour are generous.  I just don't like their beer, too hoppy for me.  The brewery is in Milton, DE and the restaurant is in Rehobeth, DE.

Have fun!
    zippypinhead
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/13 20:59:53 (permalink)
    If you ever travel to northeast Ohio, there's a couple in the Cleveland area
    www dot FatheadsCleveland dot com has some decent brews and silly giant sandwiches.
    www dot TheBrewKettle dot com has on-site brew your own, on site ferment your own wine and on site distilling. They have their own brews and brews from around the country on tap.
    Also has passable barbeque (for Ohio) & the best smoked wings I've had anywhere.

*-I guess that I haven't posted enough to be allowed to post up a URL....
    post edited by zippypinhead - 2011/12/13 21:03:40
    cavandre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1620
    Re:Micro breweries 2011/12/14 08:35:12 (permalink)
    If you are travelling on I-95 in FL, Charlie & Jake's Brewery Grille is about 3 miles from Exit 191. They always have 3 or 4 of the house brewed beers on tap that vary by season, along with good pub grub & pretty good (by FL standards) bar-b-q.

http://www.cjbrewery.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1