Hot!Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Midnights
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 225
2013/10/13 11:37:21 (permalink)

Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff)

I am starting a new food truck in Denver focused on custom ice cream. I've come up with and started testing my recipes while I'm building my truck. The build is going to require a lot of talking to the HD, as they in the process of revising their rules (so the rules aren't available to the public right now). I'll post pictures and other info as I go along.

57 Replies Related Threads

Sun Spot
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/10/14 21:32:18 (permalink)
    Read and comment (as appropriate) to get your message count up.  I think you need to post a certain number of messages to be able to post pictures.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing how it goes for you.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/10/14 22:37:46 (permalink)
    Yes, I did see that. There's nothing much to post right now anyway. I just have a collection of random parts in my garage that I picked up on CraigsList (water tanks, serving window, cash register, cooler, etc.). I looked at one truck yesterday, and tried to look at another today (I couldn't get to it because the road was shut down due to flood repair).
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/10/19 19:39:54 (permalink)
    I just picked up the truck today. It's a 1981 Grumman built on a Ford (with the 351 V8). The body is completely solid. The exhaust is full of holes and is at the shop getting replaced. I'll be doing a bunch of work on the engine when I get it back (it runs, but really needs new belts and hoses). I figure I have the winter to work on it so it's ready to go come spring.
    http: // denver.craigslist.org/cto/4052898767 . html

post edited by Midnights - 2013/10/27 22:55:05
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6387
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/10/19 20:10:18 (permalink)
    Midnights - What type of custom ice cream???  Soft Serve or hard pack??

lots of overflow or dense and creamy??
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/10/20 02:27:39 (permalink)
    Mostly soft serve, but also hard pack.
    The soft serve will be lower overrun (the amount of air) than normal. The mix will be more creamy than normal soft serve. No non-dairy, fake soft serve (although I do have a coconut flavor that is non-dairy, but it's real coconut, not that fakey soft serve stuff). The flavors will be custom, incorporating real fruit, nuts (powdered so I can run it through the machine), and other real flavors. I'll also have custom toppings (my next batch will be candied bacon crumbles and butter rum hot sauce).
    The hard pack will be super premium (high cream content, low overrun). While I will be using quality ingredients, I don't have a problem using food coloring for my Blue Moon and Tiger Blood.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/10/22 16:16:02 (permalink)
    As you might imagine, there are a lot of things on the truck that need to be replaced. For a work truck, it's fine to have it being held together with duct tape and baling wire. For a food truck, we need our trucks to be maintained to a higher standard. With that in mind, I have found the following website invaluable:
    http://www.stepvanparts.com/
    post edited by Midnights - 2013/11/13 21:57:18
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/10/25 01:05:31 (permalink)
    So, my regular mechanic can't fit it in his building, and it wouldn't go up on the lift if he could. I did find an RV/truck mechanic, but it's sitting in front of my house right now while I do minor stuff. I fixed the coolant hose leak and the leaky hose going into the fuel pump (so I won't end up with an empty tank again from just sitting there). The tires in the back aren't holding air ( a bolt is stuck in one and the other has a broken valve stem). I might have to get those replaced sooner than later. I had hoped to make it through the winter with those tires as I fix up the inside. Work continues. It's slow going, but I expected that. I figure I'll have it all ready to go by early spring.
    post edited by Midnights - 2013/11/01 18:33:35
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/10/27 21:54:44 (permalink)
    When I bought the truck, it did not have keys for the front doors. I found this company that will make a replacement if you just give them the number stamped on the core:
    https://www.ldvusa.com/do...DV-keys-order-form.pdf
    I got the driver's door to unlock with the key, but not the passenger's side. I think I will have to order a replacement core from stepvanparts.com
    I also worked on the broken heater core. The guy I bought the truck from had a replacement, but it isn't a direct replacement part. After tearing the old one apart, I found that the heater core that was in there wasn't OEM either. I think the jostling around in the housing might have been the reason for it breaking. The new one will bolt right to the firewall.
    I also fixed the oil dipstick. The handle had broken off, and they had welded a washer to it. I put a copper plumbing cap on it and used JB-Weld to hold it on there. Then I painted the end yellow.
    While I had the JB-Weld mixed, I put some in the crack in the hinge on the rear door.
    post edited by Midnights - 2013/11/13 21:59:17
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/10/29 00:53:21 (permalink)
    I found this handy online calculator to figure out the power usage of my truck, to see how big of a generator I'll need.
    http://cumminspowerdocs.com/CM-sizing/preview/
    I plan on mounting it on the back of my truck with a mount that hooks to the truck with tow hitch receivers, so the mount can be removed.
    I was thinking about this generator:
    http://www.generac.com/Po.ables/GPSeries/GP17500E/
    post edited by Midnights - 2013/11/13 21:59:56
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/10/29 12:02:01 (permalink)
    I found another site for parts:
    http://www.cateringtruckparts.com/main.sc
    post edited by Midnights - 2013/11/13 22:00:44
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/11/05 20:12:36 (permalink)
    My Facebook page is up:
    https://www.facebook.com/MidnightsFrozenTreats
    post edited by Midnights - 2013/11/13 21:56:35
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/11/13 21:48:51 (permalink)
    I made a mock up of the paint job.

I also went to the Denver Food Safety course today. One more hoop jumped through.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/11/14 10:52:19 (permalink)
    Since I won't be the only one manning the truck when we go to big events, the truck needed a passenger's seat. This was what was there to start.

This is what I did. I bought a marine folding chair and a seatbelt. I reused the bracket, which still took a fair amount of ingenuity.

When I got the chair, it became obvious that in order to mount it so the passenger wouldn't bang her back on the heater assembly, I'd have to mount the seat pretty far forward. This presented two problems: 1) it would then be held on the bracket by only two screws 2) it would stick out too far into the main passageway into the truck. I solved these problems by mounting the seat on a heavy-duty shelf slide. Now it can fold up and slide out of the way when not in use.

Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/11/15 17:43:32 (permalink)
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/11/24 15:49:13 (permalink)
    I got the web hosting (through GoDaddy) straightened out and am now working on the website.
    http://www.midnightsfrozentreats.com/
    The WordPress theme is Restraunteur.
    http://wpthemes.co.nz/restaurateur/
    I went with this calender because it's simple to use and allows me to put events into categories:
    http://wordpress.org/plugins/calendar/
    kapowtruck
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/11/24 20:54:51 (permalink)
    Looking good dude!
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/12/16 00:58:00 (permalink)
    I've solidified the winter menu recipes, so I can hit the road even before the weather warms up.
    Winter Menu
    • Hot Chocolate………………………………….X.XX
      (Double Chocolate, Raspberry, Mint, Caramel, Pumpkin Spice)
    • Hot Chocolate Float…………………………..X.XX
    • Giant Rice Krispies Treats:
      • Minty Monkey (Mint Rice Krispies with a Chocolate Mint topping)
      • Sparkle Pony (Fruity Pebbles with a White Chocolate & Grape Kool-Aid topping)
      • Michilimackinac {mish-li-mack-in-aw – Ojibwa for Great Turtle} (Peanut Butter & Cocoa Krispies with a Caramel & Pecans topping)

Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/12/17 23:59:41 (permalink)
    Michillimackinac = mish-ill-ah-mac-in-ack or Mackinac = Mack-in-aw 
    Midnights

I've solidified the winter menu recipes, so I can hit the road even before the weather warms up.
    Winter Menu
    • Hot Chocolate………………………………….X.XX
    • Hot Chocolate Float…………………………..X.XX
    • Giant Rice Krispies Treats:
      • Minty Monkey (Mint Rice Krispies with a Chocolate Mint topping)
      • Sparkle Pony (Fruity Pebbles with a White Chocolate & Grape Kool-Aid topping)
      • Michilimackinac {mish-li-mack-in-aw – Ojibwa for Great Turtle} (Peanut Butter & Cocoa Krispies with a Caramel & Pecans topping)

post edited by Tristan225 - 2013/12/18 00:03:11
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/12/18 02:40:22 (permalink)
    Tristan225

Michillimackinac = mish-ill-ah-mac-in-ack or Mackinac = Mack-in-aw 

Some people pronounce the second "i", some don't (it gets blended into the next syllable when most people say it). In linguistics, we call this tendency "elision". Or more specifically, "syncope", as it's the muting or elimination of an unstressed vowel sound.
    Only Fudgies pronounce the last syllable as "ack".
    You can hear it pronounced here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1gqlknukA
    Being born and raised in northern Michigan (my family has lived in various parts of Michigan for roughly 800 years), this is the pronunciation that I grew up with.
    post edited by Midnights - 2013/12/18 12:10:55
    Tristan225
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 352
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2013/12/19 01:17:16 (permalink)
    Pretty sure i had heard the fort pronounced as "nak" before. Been going up there for 50 years (I remember visiting before everything was removed, it sucks now). 800 years, wow your family is really into genealogy. Of coarse if you are from the UP who knows how you pronounce stuff.  
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2014/01/02 21:51:45 (permalink)
    This truck mounted their generator very similarly to what I plan on doing.
    http://raleighpublicrecor...2011/07/food-truck.jpg
    http://klausies.com/photo...ry/klausiespizzatruck/
    The cables are needed because I'm worried that such a large about weight (closing in on 500lbs after I put a box on it) will bend the back of the frame where the tow hitch mounts.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2014/01/06 21:27:47 (permalink)
    Today I scored a Caravell 335-935 freezer for $90.

Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2014/02/06 18:14:47 (permalink)
    I did some work on my freezer so it would suit my needs a little better. First I made a freezer blanket so I won't have to pay as much to keep it cold overnight.

The top is grey fleece. The bottom is a silver, light pleather (dance costume weight). It has two layers of standard polyester quilt batting inside as insulation.
    Then I made a "cold plate".

It's just two layers of blue ice freezer packs. By using the two sizes, I was able to get them to fit almost perfectly.
    post edited by Midnights - 2014/02/18 17:30:24
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2014/02/18 17:40:04 (permalink)
    I heard back from the health dept. on some questions. They will allow painted wood in the truck (so, I can do that for my shelving and cabinets). Speaking of cabinets, shelves, and other such equipment, this is a great place to go if you're in the Denver area:
    http://budswarehouse.org/
    The health dept. allows Formica for food prep, but the more I thought about it, the more I think I'll just go with stainless steel for my countertops. They are fine with the textured FRP (I was worried I would have to get the completely smooth FRP online, which would both increase the expense and the hassle). They actually really liked the check valve idea instead of the air gap (which I wasn't too keen on).
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_2...2Bvalve&facetInfo=

I picked up a bunch of parts from old RVs/campers that will make it easier to rig up my water in a way that both meets code and fits with standard hook-ups. That reminds me, they will also let me use garden hose style hose for both freshwater inlet and grey water disposal (as long as they are kept separate and as long as the connectors on the truck aren't the same size; freshwater hose is the white type rated for potable water).

Earlier today, I went to a used restaurant equipment place. I might have found the rest of my equipment. Then I'll just have to get to building. I've been holding off because some of the build will be dependent on the dimensions of the equipment.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2014/02/19 13:17:46 (permalink)
    After messing around with free blueprint and interior design programs, I found them more hassle than they were worth for my simple planning out of my truck layout. I started using the old fashioned graph paper method last night. I make the rectangle the appropriate size for the back of the truck, drew out my equipment and cut those pieces so I could position them in different configurations.
    Then today I was looking at virtual graph paper (as that seemed like it would be easier). The first one looked promising, but it wouldn't let me reposition stuff. Then I found some directions about how to use Excel as gridpaper. I think it's an easy solution to my problem.
    http://www.mrexcel.com/tip071.shtml
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2014/02/21 00:45:15 (permalink)
    I stopped by Restaurant Equipment Denver today. The guys were very helpful. I have my soft serve ice cream machines and my beverage cooler/refrigerator. If you're in the Denver area and need great restaurant equipment at rock-bottom prices, I recommend them. I have a bunch of other things I'll need in the next step of the build and I know I'll be going back there for them.
    http://www.usedrestaurantequipmentdenver.com/
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2014/02/21 19:17:22 (permalink)
    I did end up getting the Generac 17500.
    http://www.norwall.com/pr...0E-Electric-Start.html
    After calculating my electrical needs, this was the only portable generator that could handle the load (soft serve machines need 240v and require a lot of watts). I wanted a portable generator as I will be mounting it on the back of my truck.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2014/02/23 14:09:25 (permalink)
    I did the layout for the truck. The freshwater tank and water heater will go underneath the sinks and the shelf next to it.

kapowtruck
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Midnight's Frozen Treats - Denver, CO (w/ build stuff) 2014/02/23 23:33:45 (permalink)
    Looking good!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1