Midwest chain seafood

Author
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
2006/02/12 11:23:34 (permalink)

Midwest chain seafood

Who, of the chains, in the midwest, has the best seafood ? I don't like Long John Silver.

18 Replies Related Threads

Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/12 12:12:18 (permalink)
    Yes I know it's a given that you don't order seafood where it isn't fresh, or a Maryland crabcake outside of the Chesapeake region as you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Living on the East Coast it's easy for me to find good shellfish/seafood but when I travel (or when I used to live in the Midwest) there are a few good seafood restaraunts that serve fresh and decent seafood that you can find in the Midwest.

If you can find a Bonefish Grill location (owned by the Outback-Carrabba's group) they are good. Also try Shaws Crabhouse while in Chicago and there is another one in Schaumburg. Any of the McCormick & Schmicks serve fresh or try any of the Kruse & Muer restaraunts in the Rochester/Rochester Hills area in the Deroit area.

FYI Kruse & Muer is a separate entity than the Muer restaraunts Chain(Charley's Crab, Big Fish, and a couple of others) are owned by the Landry group (Joe's Crab, Landry Seafood, Pesce).
    Polish guy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/12 14:08:21 (permalink)
    I tried Bonefish, in Bradenton, Fl. was unhappy with it. Poor food, and service, and high price, for small amount given.
    Joe's I tried a few times, still unhappy with them.
    Do you know King Fish in Louisiville, Ky., what do you think of them? They were good, but in the past few years have been going down hill. I have been told that there is another in Louisville, area, but don't know where or the name. Do you?
    Does anyone know?
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/12 16:55:14 (permalink)
    Bonefish has good quality but a small portion...live w/ it and midwest seafood? Move left or right if you want good seafood.
    Polish guy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/12 19:04:00 (permalink)
    Bonefish is not in the midwest, and I don't mind paying for a small portion if it is good, but this was not, and the service was even poorer. Everything can be flown in today, so why can't we, in the midwest have good fresh seafood.
    Beer&Snausages
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/12 19:24:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Polish guy

Bonefish is not in the midwest, and I don't mind paying for a small portion if it is good, but this was not, and the service was even poorer. Everything can be flown in today, so why can't we, in the midwest have good fresh seafood.

Pg,
    In looking at their locations, there are a couple locations each in the following Midwestern states of MI, OH, IN, KY & TN.
    Polish guy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/13 08:09:09 (permalink)
    Where is this infromation at, do you have a web site for them?
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/13 08:26:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Polish guy

Where is this infromation at, do you have a web site for them?

I know there is a Bonefish Grill in the Algonquin Commons mall on Randall Road in Algonquin and I think there is one in Shaumburg. Also consider Bob Chinn's which is known for their huge crowds and there is a Chinn's in Lisle on Ogden Avenue.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13495
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/13 08:28:08 (permalink)
    My experience at the Bonefish was super. The entire family enjoyed their menu. Their portions may not be as much as you desire but they were plenty large enough for us.

They are owned by Outback who also owns Carabbas.

They have many different types of fish and in my opinion, their options of many sauces make the difference. They have so many options, it does make it a bit difficult to make a selection.

Just my opinion.

http://www.bonefishgrill.com/home.asp

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxvillle, TN
    V960
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/13 14:14:07 (permalink)
    Bonefish in Greenville, SC was good but not great. I eat lunch there quite often.

Regarding seafood in the midwest. We on the east coast don't get the best beef and the midwest doesn't get the best seafood. Fishmongers send the best stuff to the closest locations...Chicago doesn't fit that description. Not that the stuff is bad it just isn't the greatest. I worry about seafood in Charlotte...three hours from the coast. I like to buy it off the boat in Little River and watch it jump. That's fresh!!!!!
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/13 15:48:12 (permalink)
    I've seen people here say good things about Pappadeaux, you might check www.pappadeaux.com for their locations.

I'm landlocked in west TX but love seafood, so we used to go to Joe's Crab Shack, but they've changed their menu and at least the Lubbock, TX location no longer offer oysters on the half shell or soft shell crabs, so we just don't go. They do have good fish and chips, though. (Makes me miss Arthur Treacher's from my youth, though!)

Gizmolito
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/13 15:56:58 (permalink)
    The Oceanaire Seafood Room has two locations in the midwest-Indianapolis and Minneapolis- in addition to restaurants in other regions. The one in Indy is great for us on special occasions. This is from a Indianapolis Star review:

"If the dining room of one of Downtown's newest restaurants seems familiar, it should. The space was once the menswear department at L.S. Ayres. Those giant columns still span two floors from the tongue-and- groove Brazilian cherry floor, past the dark wood walls to the ceiling. The lights are dimmer than you'll find in many
    restaurants, with lots of blue light accents that almost give the impression of being at sea.

"Seafood lovers have found a home here. There's a stainless steel oyster bar packed with treasures from the ocean. First-time visitors who just want to test Oceanaire's waters can order some New England clam chowder (or Indiana butternut squash soup with fried sage leaves for $4 cup or $6 bowl) or a few of the dozen or so varieties of oysters that are flown in daily with the rest of the catch.

"The menu changes daily and offers a number of familiar fish, such as yellowfin Ahi tuna and sea bass. Other fish offerings, such as the Hawaiian top loin opah, the Balinese opaka paka or the Australian bluenose, may not be as well-known. The wait staff is knowledgeable and can help you through these waves."

http://www.theoceanaire.com/home.html
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15275
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/13 21:43:53 (permalink)

A bit more "down-scale" in the seafood/fastfood business is "Captain D's". I must admit we hit them every now and then. In my humble opinion they are head and shoulders above LJS. They are not in the same league as the KingFish and Bonefish reastaurants, but then their prices aren't either. They are a fast food stand. But the menu offers the usual fried stuff and some salads and broiled dishes also. I can get a plate of fish and shrimp with Hush Puppies, fries and slaw and a drink for about the same price as a Burger meal at Culvers or dinner at Popeyes.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13495
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/14 13:52:37 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayor, I agree. Long John Silvers has really super gone down the hill. Their fish is like the things that you get in the frozen food section, square and compressed.

Captain D's works for us and I like their huspuppies, fries and slaw.

I believe I have visited the fish place in Louisville several years ago but I cannot recall the exact name. There were several of them. I guess they are not there any more.

Captain D's which is a huge chain has just come out with a new menu including shrimp scampi plus several other variations. I will give you all my opinion. I pick up some of Captain D's for wife after her chemo. She does not feel like going out so much anymore.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    V960
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/15 10:31:43 (permalink)
    Captain D's seem to be very good or so-so depending on the manager. We had one in Charlotte that had some of the best gumbo I've ever had. Manager became area manager and gumbo became garbage.

SunDanger...I know that is wrong, but it feels so much better. Try giving your wife Ume Boshi...whole, paste whatever. Settles the stomach and is a huge input of Vit. C. Japanese pickled plums and they helped my father through his chemo. Some days he ate only plain white rice and the plums. Kinda funny since he spent three years in Japan in the occupation forces.
    Polish guy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/16 11:39:13 (permalink)
    Does anyone know of King Fish, in and around Louisville, Ky.
    In the past few years, they have been going down hill, but back in the time, they were great.
    What do you think of them?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15275
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/16 12:47:44 (permalink)

Thats the third time you have asked the question about KingFish in 5 days. Enough of the repeat postings.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/16 14:14:32 (permalink)
    I often tease about the availabilitie of fresh seafood here, shrimp right off the boat or pulled from the river in a cast net and the variaty of fish available is incredible and seafood restaurants abound.... AND YET... I often hit Capt D's! ok it's not broiled seabass with papaya chutney or swordfish with pomme frites but the breaded filets make a good finger food (great for eatin while drivin)and the hush puppies hold their own even against the local BBQ shacks homemade...
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4583
    RE: Midwest chain seafood 2006/02/16 14:38:17 (permalink)
    and cheap - locally Mon & Tues they do a 2 pc special with two sides, and that's cheaper still
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1