Midwest from North to Southwest

Author
spadoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
2003/10/30 17:02:42 (permalink)

Midwest from North to Southwest

OK, It's about time in another 1/2 month to take the RV and head South for part of the Winter months. A friend wants to go with me this year and tag along for the ride. I've made this trip many times and have a few places in mind, but you folks know too many great places and I aim to try and stop at a few and eat my way from Minnesota to Southwestern New Mexico.

I plan on travelling through the heartland on State and federal Highways, not so much on any interstate roads. We'll be looking for places that serve breakfast for sure, and want to eat dinner without a lot of fancy clothes.(but we'll shave and not be shoeless or anything)

So, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas panhandle, New Mexico(I'm already going to Maria's in Santa Fe)

We're leaving around the 16th of November and we will be in no hurry. Thanks!

6 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7894
    RE: Midwest from North to Southwest 2003/10/30 18:37:37 (permalink)
    Hi Spadoman,

These are some of the places Ive been to. In Durant Iowa go to the White Way restaurant for a thick Iowa Chop with Mushroom Gravy, Gigantic Salad Bar and Sour Cream Raisin Pie. In Newton KS, about 20 miles north of Wichita go the Bread Basket a Mennonite restaurant for Bierocks and homemade soups and bread. In Oklahoma City, Leo's BBQ is a must for the Best BBQ Beef Brisket around. Finally the big texan steakhouse in Amarillo TX. There was a Texas style sausage dish (can't remember the name of it)that was out of this world!
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Midwest from North to Southwest 2003/11/04 10:13:40 (permalink)
    Hey, thanks for the tip. Newton looks like it might be a place where I could be at some mealtime.
    It looks like I'll be going right down through the middle of kansas.
    Anybody got any places in Nebraska?
    In New Mexico, I'll finally get to Bobcat Bites.
    How about Southern New Mexico? South of Albuquerque. Anybody have a place to stop?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7894
    RE: Midwest from North to Southwest 2003/11/04 10:29:18 (permalink)
    No problem, I believe the breadbasket is only open for lunch. You might also want to try the M and J restaurant in Albuquerque NM for the best Carne Adovada Burrito around. They too are only open for lunch.
    Paulie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Midwest from North to Southwest 2003/11/04 10:47:37 (permalink)
    I'll begin this with the caveat that it's been ten years since I was here, BUT, if you are anywhere in the vicinity I would suggest a visit to Council Grove, Kansas and a meal, preferably dinner, at the Hays House. If I remember correctly it claims to be the oldest restaurant west of the Mississippi. Old west atmosphere and menu, including skillet fried chicken, beef brisket, etc. and homemade desserts. Council Grove was an important town on the Santa Fe Trail and has lots of related sites, so the town itself is worth a linger, and the drive through the surrounding Flint Hills is scenic. If you're looking for a hotel, the historic Cottage House around the corner is pleasant and reasonable.

Maybe someone who's been here more recently can either confirm or correct any of the above.
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Midwest from North to Southwest 2003/11/04 11:50:01 (permalink)
    If you stop at the White Way in Durant, Iowa I suggest having dessert at the Wilton Candy Kitchen in Wilton. Delicious home made ice cream. Try a banana split. It is only open until 5:30 PM. You don't have to go back on the interstate to get there from Durant. Just head west straight out of town and you'll get there in 5 minutes. (There is only one road out of town.)
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Midwest from North to Southwest 2003/11/04 12:22:08 (permalink)
    If in Western Iowa around a meal time, I recommend the Dutch Windmill in Elk Horn Iowa.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1