The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36
ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4724
Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Thu, 12/19/13 7:50 PM (permalink)
Apparently McDonald's overestimated how well the "Mighty Wings" would sell and is now faced with getting rid of a whole lot of 'em.

http://finance.yahoo.com/...-pounds-155800642.html

I haven't tried them but if the price is drastically slashed I'll probably grab an order some day when I need a quick lunch.

Then again, McD's may choose a different, more tax-friendly method of disposal.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
    Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Thu, 12/19/13 8:26 PM (permalink)

Here are some of the reasons they flopped. 
    Price:  In McDonald's terms, Mighty Wings are a premium product. The wings come in packs of three for $3.69, five for $5.59, and 10 for $9.69. Thompson said the prices, which are similar to Buffalo Wild Wings, were  “not the most competitive.” Spice:  Thompson said the wings were too spicy for many customers' tastes. 

Point 1 - McDonalds is not a Premium destination.  The target customer wants fast, cheap.  Maybe simply a habit from childhood.  Never price premium.  Especially when a pub 2 blocks away does it  fresher, crispier, cheaper.

Poit 2 - The menu is safe.  Mild.  Simple.  Kid safe.  "Spicey" for them means a little black pepper.  Don't break the game plan.  Focus.

My teenagers had them several times.  
    Kid #1 roadfood review:  "I dunno.   I think the grocery store frozen ones are better."
    Kid #2 roadfood review: "They're not ever hot.  They need to nuke them more hotter." (Grammer hers.)
    If teenagers are saying non-brand frozen grocery store hot wings are better....   that says something.

Full Disclosure - I have 4 kids.  We go to Mcy-Ds.  I'm not dissing on them for the sake of dissing on them.  If kids, a prime Mcy-Ds target is unimpressed.. "that says something."

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
      Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Thu, 12/19/13 9:58 PM (permalink)
      expensive wings!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9552
        Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Thu, 12/19/13 11:32 PM (permalink)
        They'll be able to sell them to Burger King.
        BK copies everything they do.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
          Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Fri, 12/20/13 7:41 AM (permalink)
          Tried them once. 

Pretty good; actually meatier than most wings. 

But, at >$1/wing I'm not a buyer.

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Fri, 12/20/13 9:27 AM (permalink)
            MetroplexJim

Tried them once. 

Apparently, neither is anyone else.

MetroplexJim

Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Sat, 12/21/13 8:11 AM (permalink)
              eruby

MetroplexJim

Tried them once. 

McDonald's forgot its mission on this one:  edible food, served fast and (relatively) cheap, and predictably everywhere the same - from LA to NYC to Dallas to Paris to Rio.

If I'm being charged more than a buck a wing, Hooters and Buffalo Wild Wings are vastly more entertaining.

On my first visit to McD's I got 2 burgers, fries, and a shake for $0.61 (2@ $0.15 + $0.12 + $0.19).  That was value for what I got in 1963. 

Now, I get a McDouble, small fries, and a hot fudge sundae for $3.27.  The value remains today - fifty years later - if you stick to that which "made" them: their basic menu and clean restrooms! 
              <message edited by MetroplexJim on Sat, 12/21/13 8:12 AM>

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1932
                Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Sat, 12/21/13 9:22 AM (permalink)
                They were pricy, but the best breaded wings I've ever eaten.  Considering it's McDonald's, that's saying a lot.  I'll buy them whenever available at whatever price.
                <message edited by MellowRoast on Sat, 12/21/13 9:45 AM>

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2236
                  Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Sat, 12/21/13 12:45 PM (permalink)
                  wrong post
                  <message edited by pnwchef on Sat, 12/21/13 12:49 PM>

eruby

• Total Posts: 585
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Mon, 12/23/13 9:44 AM (permalink)
                    MetroplexJim

eruby

MetroplexJim

Tried them once. 

McDonald's forgot its mission on this one:  edible food, served fast and (relatively) cheap, and predictably everywhere the same - from LA to NYC to Dallas to Paris to Rio.

If I'm being charged more than a buck a wing, Hooters and Buffalo Wild Wings are vastly more entertaining.

On my first visit to McD's I got 2 burgers, fries, and a shake for $0.61 (2@ $0.15 + $0.12 + $0.19).  That was value for what I got in 1963. 

Now, I get a McDouble, small fries, and a hot fudge sundae for $3.27.  The value remains today - fifty years later - if you stick to that which "made" them: their basic menu and clean restrooms! 
                    Are those 3 items still on your dollar menu for a dollar?  In the Baltimore area, the McDouble and small fries are $1.19 each (or something like that) but I don't know the price of a sundae.

Even with tax, it would still be not much more than $4, which isn't a bad value in today's money.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                      Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Mon, 12/23/13 4:44 PM (permalink)
                      A breaded buffalo wing is a sin - the "you're going straight to H - E - double hockey sticks" type of sin, at that!

Breading on wings?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? 

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
                        Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Mon, 12/23/13 6:51 PM (permalink)
                        Scorereader

A breaded buffalo wing is a sin - the "you're going straight to H - E - double hockey sticks" type of sin, at that!

Breading on wings?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? 

The wings aren't being sold as buffalo wings. They're sold as spicy breaded wings, just as KFC and Famous Recipe offer spicy fried chicken. 

MellowRoast

Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Tue, 12/24/13 12:39 AM (permalink)
                          They're not Buffalo wings, but they are breaded fried chicken wings.

MetroplexJim

Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Tue, 12/24/13 8:42 AM (permalink)
                            MellowRoast

... which are not particularily 'spicy'.  But, they do provide hot sauce on request. 

At that price they should throw in celery & carrot sticks and your choice of Ranch or Bleu Cheese!

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                              Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Tue, 12/24/13 8:51 AM (permalink)
                              They have what, six million pounds or so?  They need to put them at around 50 cents each.  I might buy 3 or 4, then.
                              <message edited by Adjudicator on Tue, 12/24/13 8:52 AM>

jman

Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Tue, 12/24/13 9:52 AM (permalink)
                                MetroplexJim

MellowRoast

... which are not particularily 'spicy'.  But, they do provide hot sauce on request. 

At that price they should throw in celery & carrot sticks and your choice of Ranch or Bleu Cheese!

They do offer a variety of dips including ranch.  And as far as celery & carrots, do other places selling fried chicken serve them with their chicken?  I've had the Mighty Wings twice and for me the only negative was they were a little pricey. I discovered that the price wasn't  all that out of line when I saw that Famous Recipe gets $3.75 for three wings and a biscuit. Granted, the wings at FR are full wings, but they're so scrawny there's not much more meat on them than a Mighty Wing.
                                <message edited by jman on Tue, 12/24/13 10:05 AM>

MellowRoast

Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Tue, 12/24/13 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                  For me the wings were perfectly seasoned, meaty, juicy and not greasy.  Don't want them to throw in anything but napkins,  I make my own homemade ranch and cut my own vegetables.   

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
                                    Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Thu, 01/9/14 1:14 AM (permalink)
                                    What are you all doing at McDonalds anyway??????A McWing?????

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                      Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Thu, 01/9/14 1:06 PM (permalink)
                                      I want a Big Mac  every once in awhile-perhaps twice a year. I would never, however, go there for wings.

jman

Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Thu, 01/9/14 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                        ann peeples

I want a Big Mac  every once in awhile-perhaps twice a year. I would never, however, go there for wings.

You'd be selling yourself short. As fried wings go, they are better than what you'd get in places specializing in fried chicken.  These aren't hot wings or other flavored wings that you would see in restaurants that advertise wings. They are well-seasoned large meaty wings that are breaded.

MellowRoast

Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Thu, 01/9/14 3:40 PM (permalink)
                                          Best wings of that style I've ever eaten, bar none.
                                          <message edited by MellowRoast on Thu, 01/9/14 4:33 PM>

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                            Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Thu, 01/9/14 9:42 PM (permalink)
                                            Well, if the price goes down, maybe I will give them a try......

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
                                              Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Fri, 01/10/14 1:15 AM (permalink)
                                              I loved them.

Started off buying 5 with the Buffalo Sauce.  I also love that sauce.

Found I could only eat 3 of them.  Very meaty.

My McDonald's doesn't have them anymore.

I'm hoping they bring them back ala the McRib.

I want them BAD!

MellowRoast

Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Fri, 01/10/14 4:48 AM (permalink)
                                                I'll 2nd that, Mar52.  They were so good, I was astonished it was a McDonald's product.  I didn't think the company was capable of it.  I want them back!
                                                <message edited by MellowRoast on Fri, 01/10/14 4:51 AM>

jman

Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Fri, 01/10/14 8:19 AM (permalink)
                                                  ann peeples

Well, if the price goes down, maybe I will give them a try......

Unless you think a biscuit is worth $.76, three Mighty Wings are still cheaper than three wings from Famous Recipe and I'll bet if you compare the weight of the Mighty Wing with those unbreaded dipped wings from other places, the prices may not be out of line.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7748
                                                    Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Sat, 01/11/14 12:10 AM (permalink)
                                                    There will be a Mighty Wings promotion around the time of the Super Bowl.

3/$2 I believe 10/$5. Don't remember what 5 will be...

They ain't Shamrock Shake. That's for sure...
                                                    <message edited by CCinNJ on Sat, 01/11/14 12:20 AM>

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                                                      • Location: Providence, RI
                                                      Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Mon, 02/24/14 4:01 PM (permalink)
                                                      Passed a Mcdonalds today advertising 5 wings/$3.  Not sure if they are trying to clear them out or if they've found some smaller wings.  Didn't stop, but could be tempted. 

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                                        • Location: Tallahassee, FL
                                                        Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Mon, 02/24/14 6:10 PM (permalink)
                                                        Locally it's still 10 for $9.99.  To expensive.  Popeye's better and cheaper.

Turtle66

• Total Posts: 107
                                                          • Location: Sacramento, CA
                                                          Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Mon, 02/24/14 9:46 PM (permalink)
                                                          Mcdonalds 

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
                                                            • Location: Marina del Rey, CA
                                                            Re:Mighty Wings soon to be mighty cheap? Mon, 02/24/14 11:31 PM (permalink)
                                                            Adjudicator....  have you tried McDonald's wings?

I love Popeyes, but if the choice for wings were between the two, McDonald's would win without question.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 36

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com