Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 10
Author
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/27 23:52:16 (permalink)
I can do something on the 12/13 of December, but not 19/20. It looks like you've all started formulating some possibilities, so I don't feel a need to throw in any ideas.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4229
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/28 00:29:56 (permalink)
quijote, you are one sharp dude, especially when it comes to Roadfood dining.  If you've got some ideas for an itinerary, don't hold back!

Buddy

P.S. Just took a closer look at MFL's post and spotted Kopp's flavors of the day for the 13th.  Dang, that Peach Melba looks good!!!

B.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/28 07:14:00 (permalink)
I agree - Q, if you have any ideas - throw 'em in!

EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/28 07:40:20 (permalink)
I feel like the girl on the right every time I read this thread

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 02:43:45 (permalink)
X1

I agree - Q, if you have any ideas - throw 'em in!

I just didn't want to complicate things with more ideas when we're looking at a food tour just two weeks away.

Though some places aren't open Sundays, it seems that the ideas so far reflect certain categories and highlight a significant part of Milwaukee's ethnic heritage:

burgers/malt (Sobelman's, Solly's)
custard (Kopp's)
corned beef (McBob's)
Jewish-style & hoppel poppel (Benji's)
Serbian (Ilija's)
neighborhood sandwich-and-pie place (Lulu)
Old World Third St. (Spice House, etc.)
Italian heritage (Glorioso's, Zaffiro's)
African-American (Speed Queen)

I'm sure I forgot a few things here.... A lot of possibilities here, but maybe for geographic and culinary diversity, a tour from this list could start at McBob's (west side), hit Solly's or Benji's (North Shore), then go to Glorioso's or Old World Third (Eastside/Downtown), and wind down at Ilija's (Cudahy). If there's time afterward, I wouldn't mind trying Lulu's pies (Bayview), though I know others will want to go to Kopp's (probably the 76th St. location).

Has anyone learned what the tv station's angle will be on this? Many viewers (in the Milwaukee area) will already be familiar with a couple of these places (especially Kopp's), so I don't know if more should be done to explore less familiar places this time around (such as Ilija's)? Or will a tv rep just meet us at one of the stops, talk for a few minutes, then leave?

Also, the ideas so far pretty much emphasize Milwaukee's central/eastern European heritage. Nothing wrong with that, but perhaps we could sneak in a visit to Lopez Bakery or a taco truck or some other non-European place that may be open on Sunday?

quijote

post edited by quijote - 2009/11/29 02:59:40
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 02:59:22 (permalink)
quijote

...I don't know if more should be done to explore less familiar places this time around (such as Ilija's)?

Also, the ideas so far pretty much emphasize Milwaukee's central/eastern European heritage. Nothing wrong with that, but perhaps we could sneak in a visit to Lopez Bakery or a taco truck or some other non-European place that may be open on Sunday?

Quijote

See, that's why I encouraged you to post.  Your first thought above is dead on.  If we're representing Roadfood, maybe we want to avoid the already well known places and focus on the more obscure and/or esoteric; the places that reflect the Roadfood spirit.

Your second thought is equally valuable in that it suggests places that exemplify your first thought.

Golly gee whillikers q, why do we always have to force you to contribute???  And are you finally going to join us for this one or are you tied up in Paris (not the one in Texas, BTW) again?

You know I'm kiddin' around q!  Hope to see you on the 13th.

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 03:10:02 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad

I feel like the girl on the right every time I read this thread

ETR, no need to feel left out.  Here's the schedule and fares for Southwest's flights from Albuquerque to Mitchell Field in Milwaukee.  We'll even pick you up at the airport on our way up from Chicago.  Heck, I'll even buy you a Coke!  You can join Al the Mayor, buffetbuster, The Travelin' Man, and wanderingjew (sorry if I left anyone out) as honorary, long distance members of The Contingent.

Buddy
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 08:34:01 (permalink)
X1 mentioned an aversion to dining ala trunk so I left off Lucky's Mini Mart (spanferkel and spit roasted young lamb, both sold by the pound) and the elote and carved mango push cart vendors in front of Pete's Produce and El Rey markets. With this taking place in Decemebr (?) that is probably a wise non choice. Lopez Bakery on National is doable as well as Mekatos and most SE Asian restaurants, true soul food places such as Mr. PerkinsHenry and Bobbie's Bungalow, Ja'Stacy or even the Jamacain themed Irie Palace as opposed to a BBQ joint such as Pat's Rib Place,  and Fortune Chinese, all choices unfamilar to WTMJ's core viewing audience which might be the hook Maureen is looking for. If this does take place on a Sunday, Packy's Irish Pub serves an authentic Irish breakfast with eggs, rashers of Irish bacon, grilled tomato, Irish sausage, baked beans and even black and white puddin'. Unlike most local "Irish" pubs, Patrick Campbell, the owner, is an Irish emigrant.
maureenm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 09:41:53 (permalink)
Sorry to fall off the grid... Thanksgiving followed by gastroenteritis for kids.  Ain't that the way it always goes? Anyway, some details-- would like to follow the Contingent to 2-3 spots, doing full interviews at one of those stops.  The story is more about the people of Roadfood-- and how they're helping keep some of the nation's lesser known, non-chains alive and well.  The best bet for us, unfortunately, is to shoot the story on a weekday, which I know is not good for many people.  If there is any way to get together on a weekday night we would have better luck, otherwise I'm trying to beg for a photojournalist on overtime (I don't mind weekends if you don't mind kids). I see a lot of people are tentatively planning for the 13th, though, so let me see what I can do.  Thank you all again for such a quick, organized response! Maureen
ChuckL50
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 11:10:02 (permalink)
I'm in for the 13th.  A week night would be difficult due to work schedule, but possible.

BTW, Sunday the 13th of December just happens to be the date for the annual Bear hunt in Chicago. I understand that there will be a group of folks from Green Bay in town for it.
stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 13:30:15 (permalink)
Weeknights leave me out as I work until 7.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 13:52:45 (permalink)
I could probably do a Thursday or Friday evening, but other weekdays won't work.

Maureen, if there is a way to do this on the 13th, it seems that would work best. It seems that a few of us can pull off a weeknight if need be, but only a weekend date will really reflect what the Coningent is all about and what we do as a group.
EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 13:54:00 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
ETR, no need to feel left out.  Here's the schedule and fares for Southwest's flights from Albuquerque to Mitchell Field in Milwaukee.  We'll even pick you up at the airport on our way up from Chicago.  Heck, I'll even buy you a Coke!  You can join Al the Mayor, buffetbuster, The Travelin' Man, and wanderingjew (sorry if I left anyone out) as honorary, long distance members of The Contingent.

Buddy

I only wish. Thank you very much for the invite though. I'm sure you all with do a fantastic job of chronicling it and making us even more jealous   ...but if somehow I could make it I'll definitely be getting that Coke from you.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 14:01:52 (permalink)

Golly gee whillikers q, why do we always have to force you to contribute???  And are you finally going to join us for this one or are you tied up in Paris (not the one in Texas, BTW) again?

You know I'm kiddin' around q!  Hope to see you on the 13th.

Buddy

Oh, I don't mind contributing, but more ideas than people had been mentioned, so it seemed that we had plenty to work with. If we can make sure the 13th works well for the Contingent and the camera crew alike, it looks like we have a deal. Otherwise, I'm hoping you and others from the Chicago side of the Contingent can make it up to Milwaukee for a few hours on a weeknight.

And I'm happy to report that my trips over the next few months will be quite domestic--Chicago and Connecticut in December, Florida in January, and Connecticut again in March. Paris was nice, but exhausting!

quijote

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 14:17:10 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers

X1 mentioned an aversion to dining ala trunk so I left off Lucky's Mini Mart (spanferkel and spit roasted young lamb, both sold by the pound) and the elote and carved mango push cart vendors in front of Pete's Produce and El Rey markets. With this taking place in Decemebr (?) that is probably a wise non choice. Lopez Bakery on National is doable as well as Mekatos and most SE Asian restaurants, true soul food places such as Mr. PerkinsHenry and Bobbie's Bungalow, Ja'Stacy or even the Jamacain themed Irie Palace as opposed to a BBQ joint such as Pat's Rib Place,  and Fortune Chinese, all choices unfamilar to WTMJ's core viewing audience which might be the hook Maureen is looking for. If this does take place on a Sunday, Packy's Irish Pub serves an authentic Irish breakfast with eggs, rashers of Irish bacon, grilled tomato, Irish sausage, baked beans and even black and white puddin'. Unlike most local "Irish" pubs, Patrick Campbell, the owner, is an Irish emigrant.

These are all good ideas. If we try for a west-to-east-to-south tour beginning with McBob's and ending with Ilija's, perhaps one or two of the more centrally located places on your list (such as Mr. Perkins/Ja'Stacy and then Lopez/Mekato's) would make a good "middle" stop.

Perhaps a possible route would be: (1) McBob's; (2) Mr. Perkin's or Ja'Stacy or Henry and Bobbie's or Irie; (3) Lopez Bakery or Mekato's or Glorioso's; (4) Ilija's Place.

quijote

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 15:00:35 (permalink)
I'm digging MFL's suggestions, and think q's itinerary would work well if all those places are open on Sundays.  Maybe even a time killer in the middle at The Mitchell Botanic Gardens?  It's indoors, free parking, inexpensive entry fee, it's warm on a cold day, and it's just up the street from Leon's should we need to bolster our strength after walking amongst the palms and cacti.

In response to maureenm's concerns, I understand your constraints in terms of a weekend camera crew, but if the story is about a group of Chicagoans and Milwaukeeans getting together to share your town's culinary delights, I think you're going to need to make it on a Sunday.  In fact, based on the responses I'm reading, you might have a hard time putting together a quorum of just Milwaukee Contingent members if you do it on a weeknight.  Besides, hitting 2-3 spots in a night, all after work hours is just not realistic.

Maureen, if you can make this happen, these Chicagoans are in for the 13th.

Buddy

P.S. Maureen, I'm in this business (floor director for the WGN 5:00 and 9:00pm newscasts) and I know these camera guys.  Just tell 'em they'll be working on a food story and they'll be lining up to work on a Sunday.

B.
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/11/29 15:05:34
ChuckL50
Hamburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 18:37:18 (permalink)
Milwaukee is blessed with more restaurants than most of us realize. Combining all of these suggestions sounds like a week long trip.

Might I suggest the following itinerary, including some "non-eating" stops that will give us and WTMJ a pretty good cross section of Roadfood.com eat and greets as done by The Contingent.

Start out with breakfast at McBobs.
Then a walk about Old World Third St. including the Spice House and Usingers.
Then a stop at Lopez Bakery.
A quick run up National Av gets us to the Rice Palace for a light lunch and some Ban Mi.
A stop at Lucky's or Parthenon. We don't have to eat ala trunk, there's plenty to pick up for another day.
And then for dinner, a place MFL and I have both said "Has to be a Roadfood stop" Champion Chicken. And, just so you know, Champion does custard.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 18:46:53 (permalink)
Sounds like a solid plan!

I know it's more than the 3/4 I suggested, but with non-eating stops, it's do-able.

And I've been wanting Champion Chicken since you guys went there and raved about it! And custard other than Kopp's and/or Leon's? Woah.

We should find out hours these places are open. I remember Parthenon closing at 3. When does Lucky's close - and are they open on Sundays? I recall that they are....

Rice Palace is a good suggestion - plenty of room, good food, and yes - Bahn Mi to go! Also, it's lesser known than some other places (as is Champion Chicken, Lucky's and Parthenon), so I think that fits into the "focus on small, local places" theme. Everyone knows Kopp's and places like that.

What time were you thinking of starting, ChuckL50? If we do McBob's for breakfast, they stop serving it at 11 AM sharp.

ChuckL50
Hamburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 19:01:13 (permalink)
Can't find a web site for Lucky's to check out the hours. I'll have to call them.
I think starting at McBobs by 10:30 should be ok. I know it's tough for the Chicago folks to make it much earlier on a Sunday.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 19:32:53 (permalink)
ChuckL50

Milwaukee is blessed with more restaurants than most of us realize. Combining all of these suggestions sounds like a week long trip.

Might I suggest the following itinerary, including some "non-eating" stops that will give us and WTMJ a pretty good cross section of Roadfood.com eat and greets as done by The Contingent.

Start out with breakfast at McBobs.
Then a walk about Old World Third St. including the Spice House and Usingers.
Then a stop at Lopez Bakery.
A quick run up National Av gets us to the Rice Palace for a light lunch and some Ban Mi.
A stop at Lucky's or Parthenon. We don't have to eat ala trunk, there's plenty to pick up for another day.
And then for dinner, a place MFL and I have both said "Has to be a Roadfood stop" Champion Chicken. And, just so you know, Champion does custard.

This is a good option. McBob's seems to be floating at the top of the list so far:

http://www.foodspot.com/Clients/WI/Milwaukee/McBobsPubandGrill/default.aspx?accid=21587

MFL's earlier post indicated that Usinger's is closed on Sundays, so perhaps we could visit the Spice House and the Wisconsin Cheese Mart (if it's open). Or perhaps skip Old World Third (it's fairly well known anyway) and proceed to Lopez and Lucky's, etc.

The Rice Palace would be a nice stop, especially if their bakery (GaoYoua's Bakery) is open:

http://www.ricepalaceasiancuisine.com/index.html

Champion Chicken is really good and also has the advantage of being inexpensive, so I can easily do that. It's also fairly close to McBob's, the starting point. But perhaps there are people in the Contingent who really want to end the evening with a burek? It would be good to hear others weigh in on the options.

http://www.championchicken.com/

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/43/470993/restaurant/Milwaukee/Ilijas-Place-Cudahy

quijote
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 19:33:58 (permalink)
BTW - I do NOT have "an aversion" to dining a la trunk in general.
I have an aversion to dining a la trunk in mid-December in Wisconsin.

X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 19:39:33 (permalink)
The reason I like the Champion Chicken option is because, to me, it really fits in to the "Roadfood" theme.
Ilija's is great and not well known (and I will go there if everyone clamors for it), but once CC was suggested, it seemed (to me) to be a much better option, and more fitting.

If Rice Palace is open, so is GaoYoua's. They may have the lights off, but if you wander in from the restaurant, they'll turn them on and let you peruse the offerings. I speak from experience. :)

I forgot that Usinger's is closed - Cheese Mart, if open, seems a great alternative. I've got Xmas shopping to do, and that and Spice House will do nicely for a few items in that regard.

PS - just out of curiosity - I want to do this tour anyway, even if Maureen can't find a news crew on a weekend. Will everyone be willing, anyway, or is this just TV time appeal?

ChuckL50
Hamburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 20:05:41 (permalink)
Ilija's is one of my favorite places in Milwaukee, so I'll go anytime.  Too bad about Usinger's being closed though.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 20:46:07 (permalink)
Being on TV is no particular lure for us; in fact Mrs. Roadhouse would prefer not to be on camera should all this happen.  We would make the trip one way or another.  Might even get up early enough to make the stop at McBob's!

Buddy
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 20:55:39 (permalink)
I'm there, and BBM should be on the 13 and 20th (she works on Saturdays) when I tell her how important this is, but I have one VERY important question:

Should we bring the dog?
 You can see how badly she wants to come!

Also, how about Chubby's and Frank's, even though they're not in Milwaukee proper.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 20:59:31 (permalink)
The dog would be locked up in a cold car for the majority of the day.
I'm not saying no, I'm just pointing that out.

What's Chubby's and Frank's?

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 21:09:22 (permalink)
Here's a better Ilija's Place link http://www.ilijasplace.com/

While I've had McBob's corned beef a number of times, I've never tried their corned beef hash. I confess that I'm haunted by Buffetbuster's description and acompaning picture of his breakfast stop there.

~All I have to say is WOW! Words fail me just how good this corned beef hash was. It was lean, but not too lean. You can see the corned beef comes in big, well-spiced chunks. And there were also charred crusty parts, which reminded of the burnt ends you find in a good Kansas City barbecue joint. Absolutely spectacular! This was the best corned beef hash I have ever had and even though I wasn't all that hungry from my previous meal, I quickly devoured the whole thing. And to think, I almost walked out without trying it!

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 21:12:24 (permalink)
AHI MPLS WHEN!? WHERE!? This is too cool, please keep this thread going with more info... I may have to break my vow about NEVER getting on a Greyhound Bus! 
No you won't. Just enter MSP for Minneapolis-St. Paul, and MKE for Milwaukee, and let one of us know when you get there. Of course, if you're wearing a Favre jersey, you're on your own!
http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 21:38:22 (permalink)
X1
..........................What's Chubby's and Frank's?

I'm guessing he's thinking of those two Roadfood treasures of Chubbie's Pizzeria in Racine (619 High St, Racine, WI‎ - (262) 637-1488‎) and Frank's Diner in Kenosha (508 58th St. - (262) 657-1017)‎   http://www.franksdinerkenosha.com/
Am I right?
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 21:43:48 (permalink)
Both are just a little out of the way.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1