Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Author
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3300
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 22:01:23 (permalink)
Chubbie's is near my house and known for it's hub cap sized burger. Better to go down the street to Kewpee's for a much better great greasy cheeseburger and a home made root beer. If it's pizza you want, the best in Racine is Well's Bros and yes, it's as good as Zaffiro's! I never mention it, because it's well guarded secret and we keep it to ourselves.

CSD
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/29 22:36:23 (permalink)
I don't know if anyone has thought of it, but we should promote TV-camera friendly stops to the top of the list. 

Any ideas on this?  (I'd give Buddy at least a couple extra votes.)
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4213
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/11/30 00:10:55 (permalink)
I don't think "TV-camera friendly" places are a big concern.  It'll probably be a single hand held camera with a one man crew.  Those guys are used to getting into tight places all the time.  Now, if by "camera friendly" you mean aesthetically pleasing, I'm not sure I'm the best judge of that.

I wouldn't over think this one folks.  Let's just pick a handful of places that accurately reflect the Roadfood ideal that also happen to be places we'd like to visit and let the TV people do what they do.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/11/30 00:14:47
maureenm
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/01 15:16:21 (permalink)
OK still waiting on an answer to the photojournalist issue but I think we've got it nailed.  As it is a weekend, we would plan to meet the group at the first stop around 10:30, then go with you to a second stop.  Unfortunately we have to conduct interviews at the lunch stop and then part ways, but I'll be looking for pix from trip reprots to help round out our story for the news.  Please let me know the final itinerary as decided by The Contingent and we'll meet you and go from there.  Thanks again for all the responses and great ideas... Milwaukee is a great place to eat!  Maureen Mack, TMJ4
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/01 17:03:57 (permalink)
Thanks, Maureen.

No one has weighed in on Serbian vs. Chicken for the tour's end stop, so it looks like we should go ahead with ChuckL's itinerary.

What might the timing be like?

McBob's (10:00 or so?)
Old World Third (12:00 oe 12:30?)
National Ave w/ Lopez, Rice Palace (1:30/2:00?)
Lucky's/Parthenon (3:00/3:30/4:00?)
Champion Chicken (5:00/6:00/7:00?)

X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/01 17:59:16 (permalink)
Parthenon closes at 3.
I don't know when Lucky's closes.

McBob's, I thought, was 10.30, to make it easier for the Chicago faction.

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/01 18:08:17 (permalink)
q -

I don't think that itinerary works for TMJ's purposes.  The second stop should be a restaurant since Maureen will only be with the group for 2 stops.  Maybe make it a custard shop, one that is conducive to interviews.

Jim
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/01 18:43:04 (permalink)
Hmm. Perhaps we could rejigger the itinerary--

McBob's
custard place (Gilles?) or Champion Chicken
Lucky's/Parthenon
Old World Third (what time does everything close?)
Rice Palace
Champion Chicken or Lopez/Mekato's/custard

Champion Chicken is a sizeable place, so that's why I have it as an option for #2, but it would be better to have something lighter at that point and save Champion for last.

Ideas?
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/01 18:47:00 (permalink)
We could just as well make Lucky's/Parth our second stop:

McBob's
Lucky's/Parthenon
Old World Third
Rice Palace
[something lite on eating: Lopez or El Rey]
Champion Chicken

This itinerary could work well enough. Lucky's and Parthenon are in a strip mall where we can do interviews, etc. (outdoors)
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/02 17:54:19 (permalink)
q,

I think Champion Chicken makes the most sense geographically, we could get done with the NW side before moving on.

quijote -

but it would be better to have something lighter at that point and save Champion for last.

What'cha talkin' 'bout?  I'm going to have to ask for that wristband back.  You are just not living up to the high standard of WWbbD?.

I looked at the rest of the itinerary and Old World Third did not seem very near to the other stops.  Considering most everything is closed there on Sunday, how about a walking tour of Tosa or somewhere nearer everything else instead?
Julia I
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/02 18:32:47 (permalink)
I always wish that I could join in on the local outings. (Yes, Virginia, I often work on Christmas, weekends, third shifts, etc, etc.) But I take comfort in the fact that, although I will be working during this one, too, on weekends my coworkers and I always order out from Champion Chicken and have it delivered. Roadfood at work! It can't be all bad!
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3147
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 11:00:05 (permalink)
JRPfeff

q,

I think Champion Chicken makes the most sense geographically, we could get done with the NW side before moving on.

quijote -

but it would be better to have something lighter at that point and save Champion for last.

What'cha talkin' 'bout?  I'm going to have to ask for that wristband back.  You are just not living up to the high standard of WWbbD?.

I looked at the rest of the itinerary and Old World Third did not seem very near to the other stops.  Considering most everything is closed there on Sunday, how about a walking tour of Tosa or somewhere nearer everything else instead?
The founders of The Spice House  and it's offshoot Penzey's, Biill and Margaret Penzey have a small spice store in Tosa at 1244 N. Glenview Ave. It would be great to visit them if they are open. I'd personally like to thank them for having such great children.

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5045
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 11:52:52 (permalink)
JRPfeff

I demand that the itinerary be McBob's first and Champion Chicken second.  After that y'all can do whatever the heck you want.

As of right now Kathy's not working the 13th so there's a good chance we might be part of at least the first 2 stops.  And if she is working the chance of me attending might be even better, given that the other option is staying home with the Horrid Teenagers.

For the penurious among us, Champion has these Sunday specials.  But ya gotta present the coupons to get the deals.

Brad
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 12:02:48 (permalink)
JRPfeff

Oh, JRPfeff, if there were an emoticon of a head hanging in shame, I would surely use it right now! You're right: we need to kick this thing into bb-overdrive. It's not like The Contingent gets together every week, so we need to seize the day.

By the way, I never did get one of those wristbands, so I hope you bring a few with you on this outing....

Given these tweaks and suggestions, perhaps we could do something like this:

McBob's (10:30)
Champion Chicken (12:00/12:30)
Lucky's/Parthenon (1:30/2:00)
The Spice House in Tosa (3:00/3:30)
[perhaps walk around downtown Tosa and look at pastries at Le Reve?]
[and/or go to Lopez Bakery or some other such place on National?]
Rice Palace (5:00/6:00)

I called the Spice House in Tosa and learned that they're open Sundays until 5:00 pm.

X1 says that Parthenon closes at 3:00 pm, so we should hit that first if we plan to go.

MFL or anyone else, do you know what Lucky's hours are on Sunday? Could you check or send me a phone number?

Members of The Contingent have been kind of silent here lately.... Does this seem to be headed in the right direction? Any tweaks and suggestions, particularly with regard to the second half of the tentative, floating itinerary?

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 12:06:46 (permalink)
Julia I

I always wish that I could join in on the local outings. (Yes, Virginia, I often work on Christmas, weekends, third shifts, etc, etc.) But I take comfort in the fact that, although I will be working during this one, too, on weekends my coworkers and I always order out from Champion Chicken and have it delivered. Roadfood at work! It can't be all bad!

Hi Julia, glad to hear another endorsement of Champion Chicken. As you can see, the itinerary for the 13th may be slowly evolving into something reasonably concrete, so if you can join us at some point along the tour, we'd be glad to see you.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 13:47:02 (permalink)
quijote
Members of The Contingent have been kind of silent here lately.... Does this seem to be headed in the right direction? Any tweaks and suggestions, particularly with regard to the second half of the tentative, floating itinerary?

I'm just sittin' back, waiting to see which slot the little ball settles into-red, black, even, odd...
quijote

I will say this though, McBob's corned beef hash followed immediately by a big ol' fried chicken dinner seems a bit much.  I understand Brad's sense of urgency, but have a little mercy.  On the other hand, while I would really, really, really like to be there, I can't absolutely guarantee our arrival at McBob's in time for breakfast.

Bottom line, plan your plan and we'll be there in as timely a manner as is possible.

Buddy
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 15:03:42 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

quijote

I'm just sittin' back, waiting to see which slot the little ball settles into-red, black, even, odd...
quijote

I will say this though, McBob's corned beef hash followed immediately by a big ol' fried chicken dinner seems a bit much.  I understand Brad's sense of urgency, but have a little mercy.  On the other hand, while I would really, really, really like to be there, I can't absolutely guarantee our arrival at McBob's in time for breakfast.

Bottom line, plan your plan and we'll be there in as timely a manner as is possible.

Buddy

Yeah, the McBob's breakfast followed by Champion Chicken is a bit heavy, but that's one possible accommodation for the tv people. That's why I previously figured some of us might want to assemble at 10:00--we could have the breakfast a bit earlier, and wait for the tv people at 10:30 and hang out for any Chicagoans trickling in.

Problem is, if we want to do Lucky's/Parthenon, we have to do it second or third stop on the tour (Parth closes at 3 pm, don't know about Lucky's). The tv people will be coming along to our second stop, so Champion seemed more hospitable than the parking lot at Lucky's.

However, Champion does have a variety of coupons, and on Sundays we can get a family pack of various chicken pieces to divide amongst ourselves, so we don't really have to eat a big meal there. McBob's hash 'n' eggs followed by a pressure-broasted thigh and leg might work for most of us, though the WWbbD? exemplars can eat mashed potatoes, fries, and other sides as they wish.

But still, we have 10 days left 'til Tour Day, so we can keep considering options. I may be becoming a default organizer here, and I'm fine with that, but I'd rather build an itinerary out of consensus than by fiat. We just have to keep in mind more logistics than usual--not just eating patterns, geographical proximities, and openings/closings, but also the camera crew and interview factor.

post edited by quijote - 2009/12/03 15:05:23
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5045
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 15:42:53 (permalink)
But if ChampChick's going to be the TV spot we need to put on a good show, so I'm hoping McBob's doesn't have a policy against splitting orders.  We might have to appease them with a round or 2 of bloody marys...

Might not be a bad idea to bring along a cooler and some freezer packs for leftovers.

Brad
post edited by Brad_Olson - 2009/12/03 15:45:30
Big Ugly Mich
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1302
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 15:50:47 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad I feel like the girl on the right every time I read this thread

Their right, obviously.

Still don't know if the dog's invited or not. She's sort of a part of the Contingent, after all.

Still on for every day EXCEPT the 12th, and I still may be able to swing it but I'll have to leave early.

Has everyone taken leave of his/her senses except me? Dec 13th is the most hallowed day of the year for most of us, Packer-Bear Sunday! Let's make it then!
post edited by Big Ugly Mich - 2009/12/03 16:00:46
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 17:53:52 (permalink)
Has either team given either town anything to be especially proud of this year?  I, for one, will happily skip the game in favor of spending time with my friends.

Budd
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 19:09:48 (permalink)
Sorry that it's taken me so long to chime in, but Monday was moving day for me, and, thanks to some computer problems, I've been offline ( again ) until earlier today. The various proposed itineraries all sound good to me, so I'll just sit back and let y'all make the decisions on this outing. Whatever you guys decide will be fine with me. 
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6360
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 19:27:49 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Has either team given either town anything to be especially proud of this year?  I, for one, will happily skip the game in favor of spending time with my friends.

Budd

Yep, that's easy to say this year. Now me, I am a...  OK, OK, I'll stop right there.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 23:04:14 (permalink)
quijote

I called the Spice House in Tosa and learned that they're open Sundays until 5:00 pm.

X1 says that Parthenon closes at 3:00 pm, so we should hit that first if we plan to go.

MFL or anyone else, do you know what Lucky's hours are on Sunday? Could you check or send me a phone number?

That itinerary is looking good.  I really like Mike's idea of the Spice House in Tosa.  Besides Le Reve, some may want to check out Pizzeria Piccola, which is right around the corner.  This is Joe Bartolotta's interpretation of a Neapolitan-style pizzeria.

While on North Avenue, some of the out-of-towners may like to check out Sendiks Food Market or Rays Liquor.  We'll also be near the Penzeys mail order warehouse and retail store on Capitol Drive if anyone wants to stop there.

A few questions:  Where is Lucky's?  Is this the same Parthenon we went to on the last trip?  If so, why is it on the list again?
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 23:07:18 (permalink)
Big Ugly Mich

EatingTheRoad I feel like the girl on the right every time I read this thread

Their right, obviously.

Still don't know if the dog's invited or not. She's sort of a part of the Contingent, after all.

Still on for every day EXCEPT the 12th, and I still may be able to swing it but I'll have to leave early.

Has everyone taken leave of his/her senses except me? Dec 13th is the most hallowed day of the year for most of us, Packer-Bear Sunday! Let's make it then!

We hope to see you on the 13th! Keep checking back for details. Are you coming by way of Amtrak?

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 23:09:10 (permalink)
nocarolina

Sorry that it's taken me so long to chime in, but Monday was moving day for me, and, thanks to some computer problems, I've been offline ( again ) until earlier today. The various proposed itineraries all sound good to me, so I'll just sit back and let y'all make the decisions on this outing. Whatever you guys decide will be fine with me. 

You moved? Where are you now? Somewhere else in Chicagoland?

quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/03 23:25:59 (permalink)
JRPfeff

quijote

That itinerary is looking good.  I really like Mike's idea of the Spice House in Tosa.  Besides Le Reve, some may want to check out Pizzeria Piccola, which is right around the corner.  This is Joe Bartolotta's interpretation of a Neapolitan-style pizzeria.

While on North Avenue, some of the out-of-towners may like to check out Sendiks Food Market or Rays Liquor.  We'll also be near the Penzeys mail order warehouse and retail store on Capitol Drive if anyone wants to stop there.

Good ideas. That time block will be a bit more relaxed and flexible, so we can split into a couple of small groups if warranted. I've never been to Pizzeria Piccola but have heard good things; I'd like to try it. But I will also have to go into Le Reve and say hello to my good friends in the patisserie section. I may have to ransom a few to take home, too.

A few questions:  Where is Lucky's?  Is this the same Parthenon we went to on the last trip?  If so, why is it on the list again?

That's the same Parthenon. I think it's on the list this time because Lucky's is on the list, and just a few doors up. But if Lucky's isn't open on Sundays (or if it closes before we can get there in the early afternoon) maybe we can spend more time around Tosa.

We could also try going to West Allis Cheese and Sausage (6832 W. Becher) instead (Mike e-mailed me this idea, and I love it), but it closes at 2:00 pm on Sundays, so we'd have to be running early. 

It's occurred to me that a couple of The Contingent members are probably in New Orleans by now, so they're probably being distracted by mudbugs and oysters and stuff. It looks like we have a good outline of an itinerary to work with for now, and we can probably finesse the post-Spice House part as we get closer to the 13th.

I also like the Spice House idea, and I didn't even know there was one in Tosa. Yet another benefit of hanging out with people who know the scene.

post edited by quijote - 2009/12/03 23:32:26
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/04 01:45:45 (permalink)
Who's in New Orleans now?  We got back about a month ago, the MilwFoodlovers were there about a week before us, and I thought X1 and ChuckL50 were going down between Christmas and New Year's.  So who else is making the pilgrimage this year?

Now that would be a Contingent tour-NOLA!  Can you imagine our crew roaming the French Quarter, swarming en masse at Central Grocery?  We'd take over that town!

Buddy
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/04 03:59:31 (permalink)
Yep, Q, I have uprooted myself and left the less-than-hospitable confines of Lansing for a smaller but much nicer apartment in Tinley Park, the gem of Chicago's south suburbs. I'm just sorry that I didn't make the move a year ago; I could have spared myself a great deal of misery if I had ( an especially rough case of the bad neighbor blues. )
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/04 06:52:49 (permalink)
nocarolina, I hope you enjoy your new digs. Maybe you'll discover some new Roadfood-worthy places for us!

Buddy, X1 and ChuckL are in NOLA now; I don't know if MFL or other Contingent members are with them. They may also have a January trip planned for all I know. I haven't been to NOLA yet, but keep hoping to find an opportunity to get me there. One of these days.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Milwaukee Roadfooders on TV 2009/12/04 07:23:05 (permalink)
Q - you have a standing invite to join me whenever I visit NOLA.
And yes, both ChuckL50 and I are here, right now. Chuck until Monday, me until Tuesday.

Buddy - Roadfood.com will be in NOLA again this year, in early Feb, because they enjoyed it so much last year. I'm really considering a quick weekend trip down there for that.

I, too, am letting the dust settle. Anything is fine.
We don't have to do Parthenon again - I thought the TV crew would be with us the whole way, so I wanted to showcase some of our ethnic places. Hence the suggestion of Lucky's, Parthenon, and National Ave. Since they will only be with us for the first 2 stops, we can change the itinerary to whatever we want after that, because, although it matters to us, it won't matter to them, as they won't be there.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1