Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15

Author
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1560
2006/01/16 13:02:14 (permalink)

Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15

Went with the family to Milwaukee for an overnight at the Hilton downtown. It has a water park, so we thought it would be a fun place to have a getaway from the Chicago suburbs with the kids.

We stopped at Solly's Grille for starters. The burger meat itself is just OK and the butter dripping everywhere makes for a neat experience, but tastewise, I would take the burger that we had at Kopp's Custard over it any day of the week. We had a great hot fudge malt at Kopp's, the fries were excellent and their butter burger was great as mentioned.

The highlight of the trip, however, was Zaffiro's pizza. Zaffiro's is a little bar with about 10 tables and serves the best thin-crust pizza that I have had. The crust is crispy and ultra-thin, and the sausage and pepperoni were excellent. There were about 30 people waiting there on Saturday night. Not particularly greasy, and a very enjoyable pizza, and my kids thought so as well. The only problem is that because it is so thin, it cools considerably in transit (I brought it back to the hotel)- it would be at its best when eaten at the restaurant.

Also stopped at the Bay Bakery, listed on this site. Nothing too exciting. Bay Bakery, Solly's and Kopps are all within about 2 miles of each other. If you're in the area, take a drive down 32 south through Whitefish Bay and Shorewood to see some gorgeous homes along the lakefront of Lake Michigan.

14 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4205
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/16 14:33:14 (permalink)
    Sadly, I have to agree with you on Solly's. While I eagerly anticipated and, for the most part enjoyed the experience, the effect of that much butter on top of the burger resulted in a sensory and gastronomic overload. Unbelievably, I saw several people order two! Too much for me. Solly's is a cute little joint and worth stopping in on every once in a while. But I know of people who make it a weekly routine. Maybe they order the burger without the butter.

I'll also agree on Kopp's for burgers and Shorewood and Whitefish Bay for scenery. Glad you enjoyed your trip. Milwaukee is an little celebrated Roadfood gem.

BTW, If anyone is familiar with them, the two "Q" stores are going out of business. "Q" put out some pretty good 'Que (nuthin' to write home about if you're from Texas, but up in Wisconsin, not too shabby) in two pleasant and clean stores, one in Greenfield, the other in West Allis. Don't know all the details but, apparently one of the family members wasn't holding up his end of the bargain in running the places. Too bad.
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/16 14:53:30 (permalink)
    I've lived here for a long time & never even heard of Solly's til I found this website. *shrugs*

If you really want good BBQ in Milwaukee, go to Speed Queen.

http://www.foodspot.com/speedqueen/
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/16 21:00:40 (permalink)
    I found Q's Q pretty average. What I didn't think possible from a place that Scott ran, was very poor customer care. A co-worker came in with his diabetic brother and ordered a diet soda (mind you Milwaukee's a good sized city). "Don't have none, if you want one there's a liquor store down the block" . They left but not to go down the block
    Speed Queen mixed chopped pork is my special treat. It seems that ordering outside shoulder gives you only a slightly higher bill.
    Famous Dave's hot links suit me too.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/16 21:48:40 (permalink)
    No argument on Speed Queen. Good stuff.

"Q" was an average place in the grand scheme, but in the small pond that is Milwaukee (no offense, I love Milwaukee, but when it comes to 'Que, it ain't Kansas City or Texas or North Carolina or...), "Q" wasn't bad. I'm surprised about the diet soda incident. If that was a consistent attitude toward customers, it might explain why they're going down.

Also, saps, I've never heard of Zaffiro's. Where are they located?
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/16 22:00:57 (permalink)
    Here's a link to a description and a picture. I believe it was at 1724 N. Farwell in Milwaukee. Just a block off of Prospect near Brady street, about 1.5 miles from the Pfister Hotel

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1785&highlight=zaffiros
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3144
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/17 06:32:58 (permalink)
    Here's a link to an inane recent pizza "challenge".
    http://www.onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/pizzachallenge.html
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13479
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/17 06:48:40 (permalink)
    Solly's was neat and pretty but the burgers were way to buttery for me.

My best meal in Milwaukee was Jakes. Not pretty to look at but the the pastrami was out of sight. Not in the best part of town but I guarantee that you will like the sandwich.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/19 23:54:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Famous Dave's hot links suit me too.
    I got food poisoning at Famous Dave's.

If anyone is going to Zaffiro's, Prospect & Farwell are both one-way streets. Be careful.

As for Pizza Man, they got too expensive. I like Pizza Shuttle, myself, also on Farwell.
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/20 11:39:04 (permalink)
    On a recent trip to Milwaukee I really enjoyed a dinner at the African Hut. I'd never had african food and wondered how appropriate it would be on a cold snowy night in Wisconsin, but it was highly recommended so we went. It is mostly stews and they worked great. I had the Senegalese Beef Yassa and my wife had the Mandingo Warrior Platter, which is a sampler of any 3 stews. All of them were very good. The owner/chef from Nigeria was wandering around the floor visiting with the guests and making sure everything went well. The service was excellent and a bargin for the prices. http://www.africanpresentations.com/html/aboutus.html
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/20 14:39:27 (permalink)
    I probably shouldn't do this, but I'm going to let everyone in on my secret source for Milwaukee dining (other than Roadfood.com, of course). It's a little book called Milwaukee's Best Cheap Eats by Cari Taylor-Carlson, ISBN# 0-9629452-5-0. First printing was in 2000 so it might be out of print. If you can find a used copy somewhere it is an outstanding source for dining in that city. Ms. Taylor-Carlson recommends about 150 of Milwaukee's best restaurants with entrees under $15. We have been using this book since the day we bought it and have NEVER been steered wrong (aside from the few times a restaurant had gone out of business since the book's publication).

If you live in, or pay regular visits to Milwaukee, this book is a must have!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13479
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/20 14:48:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jim Ross

On a recent trip to Milwaukee I really enjoyed a dinner at the African Hut. I'd never had african food and wondered how appropriate it would be on a cold snowy night in Wisconsin, but it was highly recommended so we went. It is mostly stews and they worked great. I had the Senegalese Beef Yassa and my wife had the Mandingo Warrior Platter, which is a sampler of any 3 stews. All of them were very good. The owner/chef from Nigeria was wandering around the floor visiting with the guests and making sure everything went well. The service was excellent and a bargin for the prices. http://www.africanpresentations.com/html/aboutus.html

I have been there. It was a little difficult to find but the food was very good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tjr
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/21 00:47:22 (permalink)
    Ditto on the best eats book, my brother-in-law has it and it's pretty good if a bit dated.

On a recent visit to ol' Mil, besides Kopps of course we went to Kahuna's in Delafield or Pewaukee, hard to tell the difference these days. Hard to categorize Kahuna's, I guess you'd say carribean maybe. Not bad and apparently locally owned. Anyhow the highlight there was the duck tenders appetizer, never saw that one before.

The place I'd like to hit again and haven't in a few years is Mama Mia's for the lasagna.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3297
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/21 08:46:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tjr

The place I'd like to hit again and haven't in a few years is Mama Mia's for the lasagna.

Ahhhh.....Mama Mia's lasagna, 90% cheese with 10% pasta baked and served in a bowl. The burned crusty cheese on the sides of the bowl is a delicacy. They also have the world's greatest garlic bread.

CSD
    tjr
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 136
    RE: Milwaukee Trip report 1/14-1/15 2006/01/23 01:56:25 (permalink)
    Yup, CSD, that sounds like their recipe, maybe with 1% tomato sauce. Except it used to come in a square corningware casserole dish so we wound up taking about 3/4 of the dishful home, maybe the portions are a bit smaller now. And had to put a newspaper or towel on the car seat to keep the grease in check.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1