Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City

Author
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
  • Joined: 2006/08/15 18:07:00
  • Location: Des Moines, IA
  • Status: offline
2008/02/25 23:07:58 (permalink)

Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City

I finally made it to the Milwaukee Weiner House in Sioux City and it was everything I hoped it would be. You walk in and the place looks like it might be stuck in a 1970s time warp. There's a polite but indifferent counterman who takes your order (two chili dogs with onions and mustard) and then puts them together quicker than you can fish out your wallet.

The Milwaukee Weiner House uses natural casing hot dogs from Cimpl's in nearby Yankton and they are perfect. They have that toothsome snap when you bite into them and that satisfying burst of juicy flavor. The buns are steamed goodness. I tried like crazy to identify the prevalent spice in the chili, and I know that when I figure it out it's going to be one of those slap-myself-in-the-forehead moments. I just didn't have my cooking cap on the day I ate here. Sigh. I am going to have to go back again and again until I figure it out.

Another thing to remember: although this looks like a typical restaurant, know before the counterman goes to fetch your drink that they have a fine selection of crappy beer at the Weiner House. I really wished I had seen the PBR before ordering my Diet Pepsi because it would have made the day perfect.

By the way, the whole meal came to about $5.
#1

11 Replies Related Threads

    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    • Joined: 2002/05/09 13:42:00
    • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City 2008/02/25 23:35:29 (permalink)
    jwagnedsm-
    I ate at the Milwaukee Weiner House last May and loved the place. They had just opened up for the day and I was the only customer in there, so I had plenty of time to chat with the owner. If I remember correctly, the owners are two brothers, so I can't be sure which one I was talking to.


    Here are two beautiful weiners, ready to eat.....


    But the single best Roadfood feature about this place is the plaque dedicated to a retired mustard stick.


    Good stuff!
    #2
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    • Joined: 2003/10/14 14:56:00
    • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City 2008/02/25 23:35:32 (permalink)
    So I have to ask, how where the dogs cooked? (Steamed, grilled or dirty water)?
    But I like the way you described the place.. My local favorite stand is like a 1940's flashback when you step in. Good luck on figuring out the chili.. I spend sleepless nights at times trying to do the same thing.
    #3
    jwagnerdsm
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    • Joined: 2006/08/15 18:07:00
    • Location: Des Moines, IA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City 2008/02/25 23:37:46 (permalink)
    They are grilled. You walk in and it's the first thing you see. All the dogs are lined up like little Roman soldiers. The place opens at 6 a.m. and closes at 5 p.m., by the way, so no excuse to not make it there if you are passing through town.
    #4
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10328
    • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
    • Location: Gilbert, AZ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City 2008/02/25 23:50:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jwagnerdsm

    They are grilled. You walk in and it's the first thing you see. All the dogs are lined up like little Roman soldiers. The place opens at 6 a.m. and closes at 5 p.m., by the way, so no excuse to not make it there if you are passing through town.


    The only way I'd eat a dog at 6AM is if I was on my way home from an all-nighter. "Chili Dogs wit Onions, Breakfast of Champions!"
    #5
    jwagnerdsm
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    • Joined: 2006/08/15 18:07:00
    • Location: Des Moines, IA
    • Status: offline
    RE: Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City 2008/02/25 23:53:07 (permalink)
    There are several packing plants in the area that I think run all night and so I would guess that is some of their clientele. But I would never turn one of these babies down, regardless the hour.
    #6
    ScreenBear
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1505
    • Joined: 2005/09/18 09:58:00
    • Location: Westfield, NJ
    • Status: offline
    RE: Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City 2008/02/25 23:57:51 (permalink)
    Some day, when I'm in the mood, I'll tell the story about how, when I was little, and the family was headed to Canada from New Jersey, I spotted a hot dog vendor at about 6 a.m., setting up for the day. I proceeded to wail that I wanted a hot dog. Some day, I will tell that story.

    The Bear
    #7
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    • Joined: 2005/12/22 15:43:00
    • Location: Colorado Springs
    • Status: offline
    RE: Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City 2008/02/26 09:31:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jwagnerdsm


    The Milwaukee Weiner House uses natural casing hot dogs from Cimpl's in nearby Yankton and they are perfect. They have that toothsome snap when you bite into them and that satisfying burst of juicy flavor. The buns are steamed goodness.

    I get to Sioux City once in a while for business. I first tried the MWH on the recommendation of a friend 3 years ago and thought it was ok. They natural casing hot dogs you describe certainly weren't what I was given, just a standard 8 to 1 skinless dog like the picture BB posted.

    I ordered 2 with onion, relish, and mustard and was told the don't carry relish. Oh well, had my 2 dogs a bag of chips and a coke for 6 bucks and went back to work a little disappointed.
    #8
    Rob Haggar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Joined: 2008/06/11 15:12:00
    • Location: Madison, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City 2008/06/11 15:24:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jwagnerdsm

    I finally made it to the Milwaukee Weiner House in Sioux City and it was everything I hoped it would be. You walk in and the place looks like it might be stuck in a 1970s time warp. There's a polite but indifferent counterman who takes your order (two chili dogs with onions and mustard) and then puts them together quicker than you can fish out your wallet.

    The Milwaukee Weiner House uses natural casing hot dogs from Cimpl's in nearby Yankton and they are perfect. They have that toothsome snap when you bite into them and that satisfying burst of juicy flavor. The buns are steamed goodness. I tried like crazy to identify the prevalent spice in the chili, and I know that when I figure it out it's going to be one of those slap-myself-in-the-forehead moments. I just didn't have my cooking cap on the day I ate here. Sigh. I am going to have to go back again and again until I figure it out.

    Another thing to remember: although this looks like a typical restaurant, know before the counterman goes to fetch your drink that they have a fine selection of crappy beer at the Weiner House. I really wished I had seen the PBR before ordering my Diet Pepsi because it would have made the day perfect.

    By the way, the whole meal came to about $5.
    #9
    Rob Haggar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Joined: 2008/06/11 15:12:00
    • Location: Madison, WI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City 2008/06/11 15:25:50 (permalink)
    Has anyone any idea of the ingredients in the Milwaukee Weiner House chili. I live a couple states away and can't make it.
    #10
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    • Joined: 2007/03/09 12:15:00
    • Location: shelton, CT
    • Status: offline
    RE: Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City 2008/06/11 16:03:43 (permalink)
    To me the dog to bun ratio looks way out of balance, but that's just me, they also look like skinless OM's.
    #11
    ThrashATL
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 75
    • Joined: 2005/09/28 18:57:00
    • Location: Dakota Dunes, SD
    • Status: offline
    RE: Milwaukee Weiner House -- Sioux City 2008/10/20 17:19:59 (permalink)
    With the owners of the MWH being Greek, you might want to think oh, let's say... CINNAMON as a secret spice in the chili. Hint hint...

    MWH is ok but I prefer Coney Island hot dogs run by the Margeas family in Sioux City.
    #12
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1