Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House

Author
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3314
2004/03/14 08:38:20 (permalink)

Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House

After years of driving into the Illinois suburbs for a decent pancake, Milwaukee finally gets an Original Pancake House. The restaurant is located in Brookfield at 16460 West Bluemound Road.

15 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/03/14 21:48:49 (permalink)
    We had one down in Austin for a couple of years. They closed years ago, and I was REALLY PO'd when they did, because I LOVED to eat there on my way to work. It was on Mesa, a couple of blocks north of Spicewood Springs.

I don't know if it's still there, but there was also one in Addison, TX, across the HWY from the Marriott.

Glad you got an outlet there, CDog. Great food.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/03/17 08:56:31 (permalink)
    Bushie, I've got some good news for you. This spring, a new Original Pancake House will be opeing in Austin at Scofield Farms Market, 1700 West Palmer Lane. Hope this makes your day.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/03/17 09:23:07 (permalink)
    D**n Right it does Cdog!!

Thanks for that! The new one will be just west of Pflugerville, even closer to my house.
    anselmo1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/03/17 12:14:56 (permalink)
    We have three Original Pancake House Restaurants in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY. The one in Williamsville on Sundays, people will wait an hour to get a table. People do not seem to mind since they know the food is outstanding.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/03/19 22:04:45 (permalink)
    Bushie, the one in Addison at the Village on the Parkway is still there. I just returned from Las Vegas and had breakfast at the OPH at Green Valley Ranch in Henderson. It was great as always. I always start with a big glass of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice for $3.50. At Caesars, they want $4.50 for just half a grapefruit.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/03/19 22:14:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Bushie, the one in Addison at the Village on the Parkway is still there. I just returned from Las Vegas and had breakfast at the OPH at Green Valley Ranch in Henderson. It was great as always. I always start with a big glass of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice for $3.50. At Caesars, they want $4.50 for just half a grapefruit.

You da man, Howard. I can't wait until they open on Parmer.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/03/21 18:14:21 (permalink)
    Last week when I started this post, I was as happy as the day I got my first bike. Today, I'm as sad as the day someone stole it. We had the opportunity to try the new OPH in Brookfield. From the moment we walked in, we could sense serious growing pains. We waited an hour for a table and waited another hour after we ordered. Tables to our right and left returned their food. Quality was no where near any OHP we've experienced. The saving grace was a free meal. We hope things improve in the future. Until then, we'll drive to Highland Park for our apple pancake.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/03/22 08:02:51 (permalink)
    Really sorry to hear that, CDog. I'm surprised. I'll just have to hope for the best down here.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/03/24 15:18:47 (permalink)
    Oh, I do remember the original pancake house. They had a really good selection of syrups . I think that they are alot better than IHOPs.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/05/04 11:51:16 (permalink)
    After years and years of enjoying the apple pancakes at the Original Pancake House in Chicago and at Walker Brothers in Wilmette and Highland Park, I think I've ordered my last one. They're just too eggy for me. I'm not a huge scrambled egg fan, and eating one of these is like eating six or seven scrambled eggs. (It just sort of dawned on me after all those years). I've half thought of asking the restaurant if they could make one special for me with half the egg content or perhaps no egg at all - just apples, cinammon and the cakey stuff. I wonder if that's too far-fetched.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/05/04 16:00:03 (permalink)
    The early Walker Bros. apple pancake took 45 minutes to prepare and wasn't as eggy and fluffy as the current. Today, they're served in minutes, so we know something has changed in the process. I still enjoy an apple pancake once ayear.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/05/05 17:07:34 (permalink)
    Chicagostylehotdog:

That's right. Back in the 70's when I first had apple pancakes at the one on Armitage and Clark in Chicago, I remember waiting endlessly for them to arrive at the table. Now it's ready in 10 or 15 minutes. They might be mass producing them now, or perhaps they use more egg and less apple so it cooks faster. Whatever the case, the amount of egg in the things really turns me off.
    misterzerox
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/06/13 08:33:40 (permalink)
    I haven't checked in here is a while but I'd like to respond to chicagostyle dog...I too recently had a bad experience with OHP! For as long as I can remember, the quality has been uniform throughout all their restaurants. This last time, I was at the Arlington Hts. location. The pancakes were noticably smaller! They normally fill the plate-I always had a problem with syrup because there was no room on the plate. This time, they were almost like silver dollars, maybe bigger. The omelets used to be fluffy too. Now I find they are rather overcooked, with a tough skin on the outside. And the sausage were old!!! Never had bad sausage there! These had that old porky I've-been-left-too-long-in-the-freezer taste. It was very disapointing. And I've known for years that they changed their coffee...long, long ago I asked the server what coffee they served because it was so strong and rich. I was told eight o' clock.I thought that was very odd, I didn't remember any other restaurants who used that brand. From that point on, I bought 8 o' clock colombian or french roast. In later years, the coffee didn't taste as good and I suddenly noticed the Superior name on everything-the coffee makers, carafes, sweet n low packets. Did I mention the CREAM seems to have changed as well? Not as thick, used to have the consistency of heavy cream, now it seems lighter, runnier.
    I hope this is not a change due to new management-I know how they all just love to cut costs.

For now, we've been going to Elly's. The pancakes aren't as tasty-(not orgasmic but almost as good if you put lots of butter on them) and they are only open for breakfast & lunch but the eggs are nice & fluffy.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/06/17 23:58:59 (permalink)
    Misterzerox, my vote goes to the Walker Bros. in Highland Park. Their pancakes are still the same size and just as tasty, bacon thick and crispy, omlets still fluffy, coffee is still great, and the cream is still the real deal with the floating fat globules. I avoid Arlington Heights & Lincolnshire. When you go to the HP OPH, ask to be seated in the bright, airy, glass dining room. It makes the dining experience more enjoyable, compared to eating in a dimly lit room seated at a dark, high back, wooden booth.
    Luvstoeat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Milwaukee gets an Original Pancake House 2004/07/22 16:49:26 (permalink)
    Chicagostyledog and all the others who spoke of Original Pancake House or Walker Brothers......You must be kidding!!! They are perhaps among the worst places to do any type of breakfast or for that matter any meal. Our last experience was in Glenview for dinner when in a totally deserted Walker Brothers we waited one hour for eggs! The second shock occured when the bill was presented and we realized that they are COMPLETELY nuts on their prices! There are so many other fine breakfast "joints" in the northern 'burbs, some of which do a fairly decent apple pancake "knockoff"! As far as I'm concerned OPH and/or Walkers just aren't worth it!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1