Mini Hot Dog tour

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
kapeso
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Mini Hot Dog tour 2003/12/15 21:46:24 (permalink)
You're welcome. Let me know what you think of Jim's Lunch and Hudocks.
quote:
Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Kapeso, I'm definitely going to tell Bill about the places you mentioned! He's working some nights in Vineland, which isn't far from Millvile - and he works with a few people from Salem and also may be working part-time at the branch of his employer in that town as well! So I'm printing your post out most def.

I see you live in Berlin; we just ate at Victory Lane for the first time two nights ago and liked it!

Thanks again for those locations!

kapeso
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Mini Hot Dog tour 2003/12/15 22:15:56 (permalink)
I don't have a clue. Next time I'm there, I'll check on the brand.
Regarding J & G's I know it's not in the south - that's why I said it was worth the trip.

On another hot dog topic, I was up in North Jersey twice in the last two weeks - a very rare occurance of late. I visited The Windmill in Freehold, The Galloping Hill Inn, Union, Jimmy Buff's In Irvington and Rutt's Hut. Of the four, I was disappointed to some extent by two of them.

Rutt's was the biggest disappointment - their dog is now a puppy - half the size of the dogs they have been serving since I first ate there over 40 years ago. Their onion rings,however, were as good as ever.

The Galloping Hill Inn also seems to have a slightly smaller dog and it no longer has the crunch of a natural casing.

Jimmy Buff's was greasy but very tasty and the Windmill was up to it's usual standard.

When did Rutt's and Galloping Hill change their dogs. Rutt's seems to be just size but the Galloping Hill in seems like a different dog. If you can shed some light on these dogs, please do so.
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

Kapeso,
Do you know what brand of dogs are served at Hudocks and Jim's? I know that J&G uses the Grote & Weigel griddle frank that many of the Texas Weiner places such as Red Tower, Texas Weiner l & ll, and Manny's use. Also, J&G is more central Jersey than south.
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: Mini Hot Dog tour 2004/01/01 19:50:13 (permalink)
Kapeso,
Sorry I'm just getting to you now; I had subscribed to this topic, but was never notified of your post. Rutt's Hut has been using their current dog for at least 6 or 7 years since I've been going there; probably longer. It is the Thumann's dog specially made for deep frying. Other places use this dog, and it is made in different sizes. Hiram's in Fort Lee uses this dog, but in a bigger size. Rutt's may have changed the size some years back. When they originally opened in the 1920's, Rutt's used a dog from a local butcher. This man was on his death bed, but refused to divulge the recipe for his dogs. Rutt's then began using Thumann's, and has been using them since, but may have changed sizes, as you stated.

As for the Galloping Hill Inn, they changed owners in 1987. Prior to the change, they used a dog from Gaiser's, a local German butcher. Pork and beef in the German style with a natural casing. Slightly spicier than other German franks. They are still available at Gaiser's for those who prefer this dog. The current owner switched dogs when he took over in 1987. He uses a frank produced by Grote & Weigel from Bloomfield, Ct. It is 60% beef 40% pork and different than the other hot dogs made by this company. They will sell them to any restaurant, but the Galloping Hill Inn is the only one that orders this particular dog. It is not skinless, but has an artificial collagen casing. I have tasted both dogs side by side and they are equal in terms of quality. There is big debate among long time customers over which dog is better; the older one or the current one. Most people don't know the source of either since both owners tried to keep it a secret. As I said, both are of equal quality, but if pressed, I would say I like the current dog by Grote & Weigel a little better.

Jimmy Buff's is greasy, but good. Charlies Famous in Kenilworth is much better in my opinion. So is Tommy's in Elizabeth. The Windmill is a good dog, but a little bland for my taste. You can print $1.00 coupons off of their site.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1