Mini trip in NYC (with pics)

Author
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2392
2008/01/19 06:32:26 (permalink)

Mini trip in NYC (with pics)

I met a friend in Times Square today to sign up for ushering at a local theater. A great way to see Broadway shows for free! I had been planning on hitting two "roadfood" places today before I left the apartment. After we parted, I went for lunch to Shorty's at 576 9th Ave. (bet. 41st and 42nd Sts.). It's the former Tony Luke's that I had written about here on Roadfood last year. Sorry, I'm not sure how to link up that piece. Anyway, It's been about 6 months since I went and I thought I'd give it another go and hoped that it would be worthy of a review for the site. Sadly, I cannot say that. The pics and narrative will explain:
My chicken cutlet "shorty" with broccoli rabe and sharp provolone. ($5.50) they offer half sandwiches now called "shorty" and I think it's a good way to sample a couple of different ones if, like me, you can't down two whole ones in a sitting. I realized today that I just can't satnd the smell of sharp provolone. I didn't grow up with it and have only tried it a few times before. I thought I'd come around to liking it, but it's just too funky for me. I know what I think it smells like and it's not very appealing. The cutlet was moist and had an ok coating that peeled off when I went to lift the rabe/provie for a better pic of what was underneath. The rabe didn't seem to have much flavor, but that could have been due to the cheese. Overall, an ok sandwich that I might have liked more sans cheese.

My plain roast pork "shorty". ($5.00) disappointing. This is the sandwich that this place first rode into NYC on. When this was Tony Luke's and just a humble sandwich shop, the pork was juicy and dripping from the jus it had just come out of and had a nice peppery background flavor, both of which were missing from this sandwich today. Another strike was the bread. Their menu says they bake bread fresh every hour. This bread however was definitely different from the classic roll they used in the past with the bump on the end. No bump here and it was crusty and chewy, but not in a good way. It seemed as though this bread was the kind that was shipped in or perhaps par baked and then finished on site. Just a guess.

A shot outside Shorty's on 9th Ave.

A partial shot of Shorty's menu. The rest has the Italian Hoagie, salads, soups, fries, mozzarella triangles and add-on for the sandwiches.

Overall, there is a lot of great food in NYC and I don't think that this is one of those places so I won't be returning. Man, I miss that great roast pork already!!

My next stop has been one on my list for a while, Rice to Riches in the Nolita (read: North of Little Italy)neighborhood of Manhattan. Located at 37 Spring St. (bet. Mott & Mulberry Sts.) Ph # 212-274-0008. I'm not sure how long they've been around, but I've lived in the city almost 5 years now and I've eaten there since I came here. Oh, this stuff is REALLY good!
The everyday flavors.

An outside shot of a funky looking dessert shop.

Doesn't matter so much to me if they're American, so long as they're being paid a decent wage.

Pudding lovers unite!

Well said!

What size would you like?

They also have interesting seasonal flavors which I haven't tried yet. Like sands through the hourglass, so are the puddings of my life...A really great thing they do for the customers is give samples if you ask. Not big mind you, just a tiny spoonful to get an idea of what you might want to buy, but a nice gesture nonetheless. I always sample! I wasn't mad about the rum raisin. Eveything was good about it except the liquor taste in it. Not overpowering, but not for me either. I'll take my booze in a glass, not in my food. They do offer different toppings like the roasted apples for an extra charge.

I've also tried the hazelnut flavored one and didn't think it worked as a rice pudding. Reminded me of Nutella.

The peanut butter was right on the money. Like bacon, peanut butter improves everything! The chocolate chip was divine!

I highly recommend the chessecake rice pudding, very rich.

The lemon poppy was very good, but I was unsure of the poppy seeds in a pudding. Hmmm...more tasting will be needed to render a final verdict! My all-time favorite though is the mascarpone with cherries. The sweet cherries offset the rich creaminess of the cheese and I can't get enough of it.

I finally chose the Epic size so I could get two flavors. I picked Chocolate Chip Flirt and Man-Made Mascarpone (with cherries). This shot is obviously after I sampled some. In my haste to taste, I forgot to bring some of the cherries to the top for their close-up. The glory shot before I tried it.

They come in some pretty nifty containers with Jetsons-like "spoons". We've got about 5 or 6 of these in the cupboard to use when serving party snacks. Handy.

I have to give Rice to Riches a HUGE thumbs up for the tasty puddings and their great approach to enjoying it guilt-free!

10 Replies Related Threads

jimsock9
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 285
    RE: Mini trip in NYC (with pics) 2008/01/19 06:50:10 (permalink)
    Really good report, billyboy.

There's one for the spelling error thread, too!

"If it BREATHS it eats rice pudding" (8th picture down)

(Not very true since I don't like rice pudding!)
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Mini trip in NYC (with pics) 2008/01/19 07:23:35 (permalink)
    Nice Billy. That Chicken Cutlet looked good to me but I've been eating sharp provolone for more than 50 years.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Mini trip in NYC (with pics) 2008/01/19 07:57:10 (permalink)
    What an interesting shop (Rice to Riches). NYC sure has changed in 40 years.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Mini trip in NYC (with pics) 2008/01/19 08:32:34 (permalink)
    Some combination-----CheeseSteak and Cocktails------never tried that
    ----tried everything else with cocktails, so------hic, why not !!!!
    Here's lookin' at you kid !!!!!!!

And rice pudding with a sense of humor. Good pudding and a few laughs,
    or at least smiles. I love rice pudding (don't care if Jimsock likes it
    or not, BTW shouldn't that be gymsock).

NYC is the real Mecca for roadfood. Everyone working there has to eat
    lunch and there are a zillion "roadfood" type joints im Manhattan. Name
    your poison and you can walk a block or two and find it.
    jimsock9
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 285
    RE: Mini trip in NYC (with pics) 2008/01/19 08:50:23 (permalink)
    I guess if my name was "Gym" it should be.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4593
    RE: Mini trip in NYC (with pics) 2008/01/19 09:09:16 (permalink)
    Thanks.
    BigAl72
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Mini trip in NYC (with pics) 2008/01/19 16:04:01 (permalink)
    yeah, the sharp provolone at Shorty's is too strong for my taste. I stick with regular provolone from now on.
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2392
    RE: Mini trip in NYC (with pics) 2008/01/19 21:13:03 (permalink)
    Yeah, I noticed that too. One of my jobs is as a legal proofreader and I'm constantly cringing when I see things like that.
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimsock9

Really good report, billyboy.

There's one for the spelling error thread, too!

"If it BREATHS it eats rice pudding" (8th picture down)

(Not very true since I don't like rice pudding!)
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Mini trip in NYC (with pics) 2008/10/07 09:55:47 (permalink)
    Anyone know what happened to Tony Luke's in Manhattan? Why did it fail? I heard their sandwiches were terrific...
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Mini trip in NYC (with pics) 2008/10/07 09:59:57 (permalink)
    I believe the sharper the provalone, the better the quality and the higher the price.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1