Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6320
  • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
  • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
  • Status: offline
2005/09/26 21:41:35 (permalink)

Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich

The Walleye is Minnesota's state fish and the Fried Walleye sandwich is the represented sandwich for Minnesota in the "AMERICAN SANDWICH" book by Becky Mercuri. No bar or pub in Minnesota serving food dare not have the Walleye sandwich on its menu. It is typically prepared with a cracker or bread crumb batter, deep fried and served on a hoagie type bun with shredded lettuce and tartar sauce. I know Wisconsin shares in this delectable treat. Once you move south the main equivalent fare in bars, pubs and restaurants becomes something else like the pork tenderloin sandwich in Indiana.

My pursuits start close to home. The best I tasted so far was at the Narrows Saloon in Navarre (Orono), Minnesota located in the midst of Lake Minnetonka two miles away from my home. What I like about their "Habanero Crusted Walleye Sandwich" is their slightly jalapeno flavored tartar sauce. Now the pursuit is on to find the ultimate Walleye sandwich. This should be fun and a lot less difficult than finding a pork tenderloin sandwich in Minnesota.

So how far does a true fried Walleye sandwich range? I have to believe Michigan and northern Ohio share as well.
#1

133 Replies Related Threads

    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/26 22:17:10 (permalink)
    Some people actually fry walleye. That, of course, is their problem.
    #2
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    • Joined: 2002/08/20 22:32:00
    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/26 22:29:29 (permalink)

    The Culver's Chain serves Walleye sandwiches and dinners here in Southern Indiana (near Louisville). I've tried both and find that I prefer Catfish.
    #3
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6320
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/27 20:23:39 (permalink)
    Culvers was serving Walleye sandwiches earlier this past summer but quit recently. I was told it was only a special at the time.

    There is fresh local Walleye, Canadian Walleye and also imported Zander from Europe. Sometimes you don't really know what you are getting. Most commercial Walleye sold in the US is Canadian. Some better restaurants in Minnesota will serve fresh Minnesota Walleye in season.

    I wouldn't turn catfish down either. Both are good but you will rarely find catfish served in Minnesota. My all-time favorite catfish dinner was in Colfax, IN about midway between Indianapolis and Lafayette. I understand that restaurant is no longer in business.
    #4
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    • Joined: 2004/03/29 04:29:00
    • Location: chicago, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/27 20:52:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    Some people actually fry walleye. That, of course, is their problem.
    I've never seen it "not fried". Do you broil it or something? I work right by a little place that fries smelts "in season", catfish, walleye, perch and shrimp. They're also doing a fish "boil" for the upcoming Fall season daily. The place is Don's Dock in Des Plaines IL.
    #5
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/28 11:42:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jeepguy

    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    Some people actually fry walleye. That, of course, is their problem.
    I've never seen it "not fried". Do you broil it or something? I work right by a little place that fries smelts "in season", catfish, walleye, perch and shrimp. They're also doing a fish "boil" for the upcoming Fall season daily. The place is Don's Dock in Des Plaines IL.

    I saute, broil, bake, steam, grill, and even boil walleye. If you promise not to tell anyone, I'll admit to actually frying it at a fish-fry or two.
    #6
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    • Joined: 2005/08/04 13:09:00
    • Location: Crofton, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/28 16:15:41 (permalink)
    You're secret is safe with us


    (Although, the way DavyDD described the sandwich, I'm really to fly to MN! - Minneapolis, St. Paul Here I come !)

    Actually, what drove me to this thread was the mention of Walleye. Since moving away from the great lakes region, I haven't even seen walleye fish. Makes me pine for fishing on Ontario and Erie.



    #7
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6320
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/28 21:58:50 (permalink)
    Freshly caught freshwater fish is meant to be fried in a cast iron skillet. You can broil, bake, steam, boil or grill in your home or at a fancy restaurant but when you are at the lake cabin or out in the woods you fry.

    Also when you go to a bar or pub you buy fried food to go with those french fries or onion rings and beer. That's where you find the fried walleye sandwiches. It's road food. :)
    #8
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/28 22:06:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

    Freshly caught freshwater fish is meant to be fried in a cast iron skillet. You can broil, bake, steam, boil or grill in your home or at a fancy restaurant but when you are at the lake cabin or out in the woods you fry.


    I guess things are different where I fish. A shore lunch is for frying. No question about it. But, Canoe camping, cabin cooking, tent camp cooking -- I saute, grill, steam and boil. It's not a problem. I don't broil or bake, because I usually do not have an oven, other than my Coleman oven, and I save that for roasts and biscuits, and the like.
    #9
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    • Joined: 2004/06/10 22:39:00
    • Location: wellsburg, WV
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/29 04:31:01 (permalink)
    I love Walleye and more so fresh Lake Pearch and besides the fish that we catch fresh ourselves and fry up, i'll go with the Boardwalk at Put-In-Bay in Lake Erie as having a good walleye sandwich. We usually make the trip up once a year.

    http://www.the-boardwalk.com/restaurant.html
    #10
    CarolinaBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    • Joined: 2004/10/18 09:26:00
    • Location: Columbia, SC
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/29 09:04:13 (permalink)
    Walleye is wonderful, but almost impossible to find in South. I know that they are not caught in these parts, but is there some reason that they can't be sent commercially here for seafood markets? Went on business trip to Detroit a few months ago and had wonderful baked walleye at good downtown restaurant.
    #11
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    • Joined: 2000/07/01 08:52:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/29 10:56:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CarolinaBill

    Walleye is wonderful, but almost impossible to find in South. I know that they are not caught in these parts, but is there some reason that they can't be sent commercially here for seafood markets? Went on business trip to Detroit a few months ago and had wonderful baked walleye at good downtown restaurant.

    Perhaps not in the Carolinas, but they sure have big walleyes in places in the south such as Arkansas' Greer's Ferry Lake, where the world record lived before being caught at more than 25 pounds.
    #12
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6320
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/29 20:01:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tkitna

    I love Walleye and more so fresh Lake Pearch and besides the fish that we catch fresh ourselves and fry up, i'll go with the Boardwalk at Put-In-Bay in Lake Erie as having a good walleye sandwich. We usually make the trip up once a year.

    http://www.the-boardwalk.com/restaurant.html


    Good site complete with a Jimmy Buffett tune.
    #13
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6320
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/09/29 20:11:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

    Freshly caught freshwater fish is meant to be fried in a cast iron skillet. You can broil, bake, steam, boil or grill in your home or at a fancy restaurant but when you are at the lake cabin or out in the woods you fry.


    I guess things are different where I fish. A shore lunch is for frying. No question about it. But, Canoe camping, cabin cooking, tent camp cooking -- I saute, grill, steam and boil. It's not a problem. I don't broil or bake, because I usually do not have an oven, other than my Coleman oven, and I save that for roasts and biscuits, and the like.


    No question there are different ways to prepare. I actually had broiled Minnesota Walleye last Friday night for an entree dinner. But the pub sandwich is battered and fried and put mostly on a hoagie bun with the tarter sauce and shredded lettuce best served with greasy fries and a draft of Guinness (or Summit Pale Ale, Bells Two-Hearted Ale, Newcastle Brown Ale...)
    #14
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    • Joined: 2003/03/14 07:01:00
    • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/03 08:51:24 (permalink)

    Friday the lunch special at Popeye's in Lake Geneva Wis. was a very tasty and crusty fried walleye sandwich. We love this place and try to get there several times a year.

    http://popeyesonlakegeneva.com/
    #15
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6320
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/03 19:33:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s


    Friday the lunch special at Popeye's in Lake Geneva Wis. was a very tasty and crusty fried walleye sandwich. We love this place and try to get there several times a year.

    http://popeyesonlakegeneva.com/

    Nice menu but I guess the crusty fried walleye sandwich is relegated to specials only since it is not on their printed standard menu. I notice they do serve fried Canadian bluegill fillets. Now that is an unusual item.
    #16
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    • Joined: 2004/12/10 20:06:00
    • Location: Des Plaines, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/03 20:51:28 (permalink)
    Grand Ave. Tavern in St. Paul, MN. Best dang walleye I ever ate. They serve it either fried or broiled. Had it both ways. Broiled is good, fried is better. Nice little place, in a nice area. If you're in the Twin Cities and you want walleye, this is a must visit.
    #17
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6320
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/05 21:45:46 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

    Grand Ave. Tavern in St. Paul, MN. Best dang walleye I ever ate. They serve it either fried or broiled. Had it both ways. Broiled is good, fried is better. Nice little place, in a nice area. If you're in the Twin Cities and you want walleye, this is a must visit.

    I drove by there last weekend and wondered if they served pork tenderloin sandwiches. I'll have to give their walleye try.

    Last night I had grilled Cajun Catfish at Rick's Boatyard in Indianapolis. Catfish is good but fresh walleye, I mean really fresh, is great.
    #18
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    • Joined: 2004/12/10 20:06:00
    • Location: Des Plaines, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/05 21:52:13 (permalink)
    Davydd-I know this is the "Sandwich" forum, and Grand Avenue Tavern does have a walleye sandwich, but get the walleye dinner instead. Two filets done perfectly and a couple of sides. This is a full meal that will leave you very satisfied.
    #19
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7666
    • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/05 21:55:45 (permalink)
    here is the website
    www.tavernongrand.com
    #20
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6320
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/06 21:21:42 (permalink)
    The Tavern on Grand has a knockout walleye menu. It looks like it is now a must place to try. It may take a few visits to try all the varieties. Thanks guys for the information.
    #21
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6320
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/08 16:53:38 (permalink)
    Today I had a crab cake roll sandwich on a hoagie at Coastal Flats in Fairfax, VA. I must say it was mighty good. Ain't gonna get that in Minnesota.
    #22
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6320
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/31 13:40:25 (permalink)
    Curious about the fried Walleye sandwich? Here is a picture of one from the Choo Choo Bar & Restaurant in Loretto, MN. It came without tartar sauce.

    #23
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    • Joined: 2004/03/29 04:29:00
    • Location: chicago, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/10/31 15:14:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s


    Friday the lunch special at Popeye's in Lake Geneva Wis. was a very tasty and crusty fried walleye sandwich. We love this place and try to get there several times a year.

    http://popeyesonlakegeneva.com/

    Nice menu but I guess the crusty fried walleye sandwich is relegated to specials only since it is not on their printed standard menu. I notice they do serve fried Canadian bluegill fillets. Now that is an unusual item.
    In the summer expect super long waits and absolutely no parking. I've a few times and the prices are insane! Food pretty good but in a chain-like way.
    #24
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    • Joined: 2003/03/14 07:01:00
    • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2005/11/01 08:40:28 (permalink)
    Jeepguy, I discovered a little secret a few weeks ago when we went to Popeye's on a beautiful fall Saturday, there is a parking lot behind the pit behind the building, it's controled by a big guy that you have to swear that you are going to Popeye's for a meal, you can then go in the back door and be seated immediately! I was pretty surprised by how much their prices went up too but I must say I had one of the best burgers I have had in a very long time. No walleye for specials this month, they were on an Octoberfest theme.
    #25
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6320
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/13 22:17:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

    Grand Ave. Tavern in St. Paul, MN. Best dang walleye I ever ate. They serve it either fried or broiled. Had it both ways. Broiled is good, fried is better. Nice little place, in a nice area. If you're in the Twin Cities and you want walleye, this is a must visit.

    OK, it is time for a tasty update. I did stop in at the Tavern on Grand in St. Paul, MN and sampled their deep fried walleye sandwich. You can also get it grilled. You can also get an entree dinner of walleye and you can also get a walleye appetizer. In other words, they got walleye and it is dang good. It could be the best. Here it is. Enjoy.

    #26
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    • Joined: 2004/12/10 20:06:00
    • Location: Des Plaines, IL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/13 23:13:37 (permalink)
    Ah, sweet vindication. Almost as sweet as a walleye sandwich at Tavern on Grand. Thanks for the update Davyd, glad you enjoyed your dinner.

    Buddy
    #27
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13473
    • Joined: 2001/07/18 14:10:00
    • Location: Knoxville, TN,
    • Status: online
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/14 07:56:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BuddyRoadhouse

    Ah, sweet vindication. Almost as sweet as a walleye sandwich at Tavern on Grand. Thanks for the update Davyd, glad you enjoyed your dinner.

    Buddy


    I have been to this restaurant in St. Paul many times and I have always enjoyed it.

    It is super when others validate what I have always thought.

    Next time you are there, try the Twin City Grill inside the Mall of America.

    Paul E. Smith
    Knoxvillle, TN
    #28
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7666
    • Joined: 2001/01/18 18:49:00
    • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/14 08:56:38 (permalink)
    Tavern on Grand was outstanding. I was there back in 1999 and I remember I enjoyed my sandwich with a cup of turkey wild rice soup and a Pint of Leinenkugel. Every stop which I made on that trip which Included Kaffe Stuga's Scandinavian Buffet at the Radisson Hotel in Bloomington, Crabtree's Kitchen in Marine St Croix which is sadly gone and The Anderson House in Wabasha were all superb!
    #29
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6320
    • Joined: 2005/04/24 12:15:00
    • Location: Tonka Bay, MN
    • Status: offline
    RE: Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich 2006/01/14 19:46:12 (permalink)
    Paul,

    I am very familiar with the Twin City Grill and the Mall of America. I spent three years of my life as an architect helping create that huge mall. The next time I go down there I will check out the Twin City Grill again.
    #30
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1