Minnesota - Where to Eat?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/19 14:25:54 (permalink)
As a just former Wisconsinite now displaced in NC, I am not sure what to think about Minnehaha food.  Like any great metro area, the Minneapolis/ St Paul area has some great ethnic places to eat.  But I also see a bunch of fake cosmopolitan wannabes that want to be the Hollywood of the Midwest. I mean come on..they live on a great big body of water with barges and have great ports/beaches and one of the nastiest climates in the Midwest.  Plus a college team named after a "tough" rodent.  Thats not to mention that their pro football team plays in a gym with an oger that blows a stupid horn because the fake pumped in crowd noise isn't loud enough.  Fake snobs is what I think of when I am there. But when it comes to local culture, that Letefisk stuff is just nasty.... And svedish meatballs??  Please! I have an ongoing rivalry with a large portion of my family which now lives just west of Minneapolis. When I call them on the phone, I revert to my Minnesota/ Fargo movie talk...and I don't want to hear any arguments from you people that live there....you do sound like this... I see it first hand when I go there and it crosses all financial barriers... How ya do'in Ollie?  Not bad Helga. How's the ice fishin' don't ya know? Whatch ya doin'? Yah der hey!  Eh?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7892
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/19 14:35:57 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead

As a just former Wisconsinite now displaced in NC, I am not sure what to think about Minnehaha food.  Like any great metro area, the Minneapolis/ St Paul area has some great ethnic places to eat.  But I also see a bunch of fake cosmopolitan wannabes that want to be the Hollywood of the Midwest. I mean come on..they live on a great big body of water with barges and have great ports/beaches and one of the nastiest climates in the Midwest.  Plus a college team named after a "tough" rodent.  Thats not to mention that their pro football team plays in a gym with an oger that blows a stupid horn because the fake pumped in crowd noise isn't loud enough.  Fake snobs is what I think of when I am there. But when it comes to local culture, that Letefisk stuff is just nasty.... And svedish meatballs??  Please! I have an ongoing rivalry with a large portion of my family which now lives just west of Minneapolis. When I call them on the phone, I revert to my Minnesota/ Fargo movie talk...and I don't want to hear any arguments from you people that live there....you do sound like this... I see it first hand when I go there and it crosses all financial barriers... How ya do'in Ollie?  Not bad Helga. How's the ice fishin' don't ya know? Whatch ya doin'? Yah der hey!  Eh?

Hey, hey, don't knock those "Svedish Meatballs" I luv em' !
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/19 15:59:52 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead

Davy,

Just giving you a hard time.  I do the same to my family that lives by you .  Unfortunately, UGHHHH!!,  many are now Viking fans!  Hope you are enjoying your new quarterback!  :-)  I like the area you live in.  I find certain cultures interesting where I live down here in NC ( Livermush, BBQ everything, fried everything, collard greens, fried chicken in every possible way etc )and am actually going to try to make country ham and biscuits as part of my dinner tonight.  Just out of curiosity, is Marc's Choo Choo Bar still around in Laredo Minnesota?  They had the best damn Chicken Wings I ever had in the 70's.  They had a very unique marination and then fried.  We used the do a caravan snowmobile run there from Mooney Lake in Plymouth(my uncle had a place he built there).  My cousin is the editor and owner of a major magazine in Wayazata that covers lake living.  I tease them all the time but they did it back to us Wisconsinites....but now I live in NC.  Is that Twins stadium going to have a retractable roof?  And where are the Vikings going?  The gophers have their new home.....albeit not that big or great in my opinion.  My brother was there and gave me the breakdown/opinions at the last Badger/Gopher game.  

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6394
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/19 16:29:49 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead,

The Choo Choo Bar in Loretto is still there. Their walleye sandwich is on my web site.

http://web.mac.com/davydd...alleye_Sandwiches.html

The Twins stadium will not have a retractable roof. Access to the stadium is by directly driving into town and parking at adjacent ramps with freeway entrances. Also the light rail extends to the field and a second light rail is planned from the southwest suburbs. A bike path that extends all the way out to my home 20 some miles away also goes directly to the field. The extensive downtown skyway system spills right out onto a big entrance plaza to the stadium. It's going to be a cozy sized stadium. It is shoe horned into a tight site so there will be no stand back and look at it view from the outside. However the view from homeplate looking out toward center/right field will be a spectacular close-up view of downtown.

http://minnesota.twins.ml...ballpark/seat_view.jsp

The Vikings may become a good candidate for Los Angeles. There is not much movement by anyone to publicly finance a stadium for them.

The "Bank" or the Minnesota Golden Gophers new stadium is designed for expansion so is not big. That's because they suffered through 26 years off-campus in the Metrodome and declining attendance. It is wait and see for the U of MN but one needs to remember prior to the Vikings coming to town they were a perennial national powerhouse. If the Vikings left the U of MN has the potential to return to those glory years because being number one in the fall again will be a overwhelming recruiting tool in a pretty good metro setting.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/19 16:44:29 (permalink)
gnat

Hi !  Altho have enjoyed the pix, the sarcasm & the 'abuse', still NO ONE has responded to original question about good food  in & around Cross Lake / Brainerd region.  Is there nothing special there ?  thanks...

gnat,

Culinary wise the Brainerd Lakes region is not noted. At least I haven't noticed any rave comments or must go places here or at other food forums. There was a recent thread covering Brainerd located here with some mentions of places...

http://www.roadfood.com/F...Minnesota-m545280.aspx

As I mentioned in this thread when I go to the area I stay at a private association on a lake and rarely leave. I don't think I ever ate a meal in a restaurant in the Brainerd Lakes region.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/19 22:15:23 (permalink)
Davydd

The Vikings may become a good candidate for Los Angeles. There is not much movement by anyone to publicly finance a stadium for them.

That would not surprise me.  They took the Lakers, why not the Vikings? 

NC Cheesehead, I hate to tell ya, I can't really tell the Sconnie accent too far apart from the Minnehaha one.

DetectDave
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/20 06:22:02 (permalink)
I too am a big fan of Dicks.  I come from St. Louis Mo for the Bloody Mary's and the super blood sludge breakfast. Gotta love the hollandaise sauce!
calandviv
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/20 12:10:47 (permalink)
I love The Big Ten in Stadium Village. It's on Washington across from the Radisson.  The whole menu looks good, but the first thing to try is one of their subs.  I always get the salami, my husband the "assorted".  Also, a half is plenty.  They're pretty simple, but excellent.

A friend raves about the walleye at Tavern on Grand in St Paul, but I've never been.
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/20 13:26:16 (permalink)
Nancypalooza

Davydd
y

NC Cheesehead, I hate to tell ya, I can't really tell the Sconnie accent too far apart from the Minnehaha one.

Nancy, I am afraid you are right.  More so though when you are in the Milwaukee area where I was born and raised.  When I lived near Madison, people didn't quite have that much of a pronounced accent to the extent that they do in Milwaukee.  Especially on Milwaukee's south side.  But now I'm down south here by you and they all look at me like I'm from another planet.  Interesting how regional people from different areas sound.  When in Boston, I asked for change once for a dollar bill and asked for 4 quarters.  He called them Kwatahs.  My friends from Boston rib each other about our regional accents but it's all in fun. 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/20 13:41:11 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead

Nancypalooza

Davydd
y

Nancy, I am afraid you are right.  More so though when you are in the Milwaukee area where I was born and raised.  When I lived near Madison, people didn't quite have that much of a pronounced accent to the extent that they do in Milwaukee.  Especially on Milwaukee's south side.  But now I'm down south here by you and they all look at me like I'm from another planet.  Interesting how regional people from different areas sound.  When in Boston, I asked for change once for a dollar bill and asked for 4 quarters.  He called them Kwatahs.  My friends from Boston rib each other about our regional accents but it's all in fun. 

I can tell the "Scahnsin" accent from the "Minnesoooda" accent. The Milwaukee accent specifically is much more obvious to tell apart because it has alot of the "Great Lakes" characteristics which Minnesota lacks (the hard vowels and broad a's) as well as the Minnesota characeteristics of the rounded "o's" and "long a's sounding like long e's" which the great lakes accent lacks. In other words the Milwaukee accent incorporates some of the "Chicago" characteristics which Northern Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota lack.
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/20 13:57:35 (permalink)
Davydd

NC Cheesehead,

The Choo Choo Bar in Loretto is still there. Their walleye sandwich is on my web site.

http://web.mac.com/davydd...alleye_Sandwiches.html

The Twins stadium will not have a retractable roof. Access to the stadium is by directly driving into town and parking at adjacent ramps with freeway entrances. Also the light rail extends to the field and a second light rail is planned from the southwest suburbs. A bike path that extends all the way out to my home 20 some miles away also goes directly to the field. The extensive downtown skyway system spills right out onto a big entrance plaza to the stadium. It's going to be a cozy sized stadium. It is shoe horned into a tight site so there will be no stand back and look at it view from the outside. However the view from homeplate looking out toward center/right field will be a spectacular close-up view of downtown.

http://minnesota.twins.ml...ballpark/seat_view.jsp

The "Bank" or the Minnesota Golden Gophers new stadium is designed for expansion so is not big. That's because they suffered through 26 years off-campus in the Metrodome and declining attendance. It is wait and see for the U of MN but one needs to remember prior to the Vikings coming to town they were a perennial national powerhouse. If the Vikings left the U of MN has the potential to return to those glory years because being number one in the fall again will be a overwhelming recruiting tool in a pretty good metro setting.

Awesome to see the Choo Choo Bar is still there.  I remember as a kid eating in that train car that's attached to the restaurant.  I need to get up by you and pay it a visit.  I just remember those wings having a very unique taste I had never had before and have never had since.  That walleye sandwich looks great.  The walleye is one thing I miss about the midwest....that and perch, whitefish, and smoked salmon/trout from the great lakes.

I was hoping they (twins)were going to put a retractable roof like they did in Milwaukee.  It sure made openings days in Brew town during April that much more bearable due to the unpredictable weather that time of year.  They said it would help the Brewers late in the year as well but then again, the Brewers have not seen more than one round into the post season since it was built but that's a sore story for another day....They raised the local sales tax in Milwaukee to help finance that thing.  It's still a controversy in Milwaukee. 

I agree about the Gophers....they are always on the verge of becoming a power house these days and like any team in the big ten, you can never ever take any team lightly.  Just ask Ohio State that just took one on the chin from Purdue.  Hope the new stadium helps. It was smart to make it to expand.

I don't want the Vikings to leave Minnesota.  It's become a rivalry for the Packers.  I remember going to a game as a kid at the old Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington where I had the chance to see Fran play.  (Where that great Mall you helped build once stood!)  I also remember going to see the Minnesota "Kicks" pro soccer team that ultimately folded. I remember my uncle just complaining like crazy when they moved the Vikings downtown because now all the tailgaters had no place to go except a few prime rooftop spaces.   And my uncle was the owner of a restaurant food distribution business where he had an RV and quite a spread for tailgating. He loved to entertain clients that way.  Besides, if the Vikings left Minnesota, what else would us Packer fans have to bitch about?  (Well, besides you having Favre now, maybe the bears.)

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/25 14:17:48 (permalink)
Another Irish pub opens in the Twin Cities. Kieran Folliard, an Irishman and owner of the Liffey in St. Paul and Kieran's and the Local in Minneapolis opened another pub in St. Louis Park, a first tier western suburb of Minneapolis. The pub and restaurant is called Cooper reviving the name of a popular theatre that was nearby that closed in 1991.

The bar and furnishings were built in Ireland and shipped to the United States for assembly and installation. Nicely done. The food is standard pub fare and the most expensive item on the menu is $17. Fish and chips came with a choice of salmon, shrimp, cod or walleye. My wife chose the walleye. A friend had the half pound regular hamburger and I had the walleye sandwich. The walleye sandwich was OK but no where close to the best I've had in the Twin Cities.

NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/27 01:10:31 (permalink)
wanderingjew

NC Cheesehead

Nancypalooza

Davydd
y

I can tell the "Scahnsin" accent from the "Minnesoooda" accent. The Milwaukee accent specifically is much more obvious to tell apart because it has alot of the "Great Lakes" characteristics which Minnesota lacks (the hard vowels and broad a's) as well as the Minnesota characeteristics of the rounded "o's" and "long a's sounding like long e's" which the great lakes accent lacks. In other words the Milwaukee accent incorporates some of the "Chicago" characteristics which Northern Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota lack.

Yes you nailed this one right on.  Wanderingjew, you are either a linguistics instructor or you need to quit traveling around so much!

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2009/10/27 11:37:08 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead

wanderingjew

NC Cheesehead

Nancypalooza

Davydd
y

Yes you nailed this one right on.  Wanderingjew, you are either a linguistics instructor or you need to quit traveling around so much!

actually neither,

Part of it is my friend Julianne- originally from the Milwaukee suburbs and the perfect case study of the "Scahnsin" dialect, and the other was 3 years of listening to my North Dakota and Minnesota transplant coworkers when I lived in Seattle. I knew the "Fargo" accent before the movie even came out!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/01/19 08:52:10 (permalink)
A taste of Minnesota at the new Twins ballpark. Here is an article on foods that will be served at Target Field starting this spring. Walleye sandwiches, porkchop on a stick, wild rice soup, juicy lucy burgers and Murray's steak burgers will be some of the offerings.

http://www.startribune.co...:_Yyc:aUnciaec8O7EyUsl
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/01/19 11:36:13 (permalink)
I just came over here to see if anybody posted that article--our mouths are already watering.  So what's the holdup about the Dome Dog?  Just the name?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5141
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/01/19 12:41:02 (permalink)
"This will be my 11th opening day of Major League Baseball and my fourth club and I've never seen anything on a stick, except maybe a corn dog, anywhere else," said Pete Spike, general manager of food services at the Twins new outdoor ballpark in downtown Minneapolis.

I wonder if other ballparks don't serve things on sticks because in the hands of a drunken fan one could easily become a weapon or instrument of self-injury.  You just know someone's going to try to eat a pork chop on a stick and walk at the same time.

Imagine the body count if stick food was offered during a Yankees-Red Sox series!

Brad
post edited by Brad_Olson - 2010/01/19 12:42:07
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/01/19 12:58:11 (permalink)
Food on a stick is a Minnesota State Fair tradition and probably why the food company is picking up on that theme. Last count more than 50 items at the state fair were sold on a stick. That's far more than anywhere else I have experienced. I was at the California State Fair last fall and found just one single item on a stick - a corn dog.

Nancy, I don't know why they are still debating the Dome Dog other than maybe they would obviously no longer need to call it that at an outdoor field.

The food company is an out of state company but it does appear they've done their homework in trying to develop Minnesota specific foods. I'm sure wanderingjew will be disappointed. There was no mention of lutefisk in the article.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/01/19 14:05:35 (permalink)
/imagining trying to tie lutefisk to a stick
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/01/19 14:22:43 (permalink)
Davydd

Food on a stick is a Minnesota State Fair tradition and probably why the food company is picking up on that theme. Last count more than 50 items at the state fair were sold on a stick. That's far more than anywhere else I have experienced. I was at the California State Fair last fall and found just one single item on a stick - a corn dog.

Nancy, I don't know why they are still debating the Dome Dog other than maybe they would obviously no longer need to call it that at an outdoor field.

The food company is an out of state company but it does appear they've done their homework in trying to develop Minnesota specific foods. I'm sure wanderingjew will be disappointed. There was no mention of lutefisk in the article.

I'm just surprised that they won't include a taste of the majors theme and include those unique only in Southern California Specialties called "burgers" whent the Angels are in town, actually better yet, let's not call them burgers, lets just call them"In and Outs" for now on!
(theme of sarcasm throughout the entire response)
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/02/18 14:41:31 (permalink)
Curious about Walleye? The Minneapolis Star Tribune's Taste section this week ran an article about commercial walleye fishing in Minnesota. There is some though most all walleye commercially comes out of Canada. There is a firm in Redby, MN, Red Lake Fisheries that ships Minnesota walleye. Interesting read.

http://www.startribune.co...c:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/03/09 12:07:14 (permalink)
Since there is no longer going to be a dome at a Twins baseball game the Dome Dog will no longer be sold. That got everyone in a tizzy when it was announced that Hormel would no longer supply that favorite eat. Today they announced a new lineup of 4 new hot dogs by Schweigert. The all beef quarter-pound Twins Big Dog will replace the Dome Dog.

http://www.startribune.co...aUac8HEaDiaMDCinchO7DU
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/03/11 16:17:18 (permalink)
St. Patrick's Day is coming up so we checked out McGarry's Pub in Maple Plain, MN once again. I had the McGarry's Juicy Lucy which was different than most. It was ground lamb stuffed with goat cheese and topped with mushrooms.

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/03/11 16:24:49 (permalink)
I'm running out of free space on my Photobucket account and am now experimenting with other sites. One is my Apple MobileMe Gallery that ties directly in with iPhoto on my Mac. The McGarry's Pub photos were the first. They came from a gallery of 136 (as of this typing) Twin Cities area food photos that can all be viewed here...

http://is.gd/afffV
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/08/06 16:28:52 (permalink)
It doesn't get any better than late July and August in Minnesota. The summers are usually perfect in not being too hot or too high of a dewpoint. Plus, the bugs disappear. So as not to lose out dockside eateries are the favored way to eat. I've been to four different places on Lake Minnetonka this summer and all are within a couple of miles from home. We used to boat to them but we sold our boat after getting an RV. We did kayak once to one but most we can just walk to.

The first is on the Lake Minnetonka Regional LRT Bike Trail that I often Nordic walk on. It is the Bayside Grille in Excelsior, MN. Excelsior is a small community of 2,400 people on Excelsior Bay. A little secret. If you know your history of Excelsior founded in 1853 you know that is really where Garrison Kiellor probably got his inspiration for Prairie Home Companion and Lake Wobegon.

This is the dockside wharf with the restored streetcar steamboat, The Minnehaha, docked in the background. The Minnehaha used to pick up streetcar passengers in Excelsior and ferry them around the lake to large hotels and Big Island where there was an amusement park. The boat was deliberately sunk in 1926 to dispose of it, was salvaged in the 1980s, restored and put back in service in 1996. Excelsior also has a rail streetcar that travels from a town museum to the Bayside Grille about 5 blocks.

Dockside food generally is bar type food and often a more limited menu than what you can order if you sit inside the adjacent restaurant. Lighter fare such as this Walleye Wrap is typical of the Bayside Grille.

Lord Fletcher's Old Lake Lodge is north of our house in Spring Park. Lord Fletcher's has an upscale entree restaurant, and indoor casual restaurant and a huge wharf. So you can pick and choose what you desire. On Monday during the summer they have a special called Manic Monday where they set up a grill on the wharf and sell full half-pound hamburgers for $4, cheeseburgers for $5 and Miller bottled beer for $1.75. Anything else you can order through a waitress but the burgers are had by going through a line, pay your money upfront, grab a color coded basket for cheeseburger or hamburger, get the burger from a server and then add your own condiments of lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle. The place is incredibly packed so when you get there you have to cruise the dock and wait for someone to finish. People watching is great. Boat watching is even better. There is a small island that creates a channel next to the dock that has slips. So boats constantly cruise around and around in a parade until a slip opens up. Reminds me of back to the 50s when cars used to cruise around and around at the drive-ins.

Lord Fletcher's dock

Here is a Lord Fletcher's Manic Monday cheeseburger.

The next place is back in Excelsior right next door to the Bayside Grille. The place is Maynard's. Maynard's is the closest to a TGIFridays kind of place to give it a description. Again, outside the menu is more limited to burgers, salads and sides. They serve the burgers in a basket similar to Lord Fletcher's but they have ample offerings of salads as well. This is their grilled chicken salad.

The last place visited recently is right in my hometown of Tonka Bay and even smaller community of 1,400 adjacent to Excelsior. We actually have three restaurants in Hazellewood Grill & Tap Room, Joey Nova's New York Style Pizzeria and Deli and The Caribbean. The Caribbean is part of a boat marina on Lake Minnetonka. It is hidden away in an eclectic residential area of million dollar homes on the lake and small former summer cottages now full-time residences intermixed together. The Caribbean was closed for several years but re-opened last year on weekends only during the summer boating season. This year they are open 7 days per week starting at 5 PM during the week and noon on weekends. The menu is pretty much limited to bar food that you can eat with your hands and is served in a basket. There is no silver ware. Again, the half-pound hamburger is the norm.

Sitting on the dock watching the boats come in. They will serve you on the boat. A boat boy is on duty to assist in tying up which is typical of all the establishments.

The dock is considerably smaller than the other places.

The menu is simple and comes on this placard.

The burger in the basket.

The Fish & Chips turned out to be a very generous serving.

This is not gourmet food by any means from any of these places. What you get is a great summer evening outdoors with great people and boat watching. In Minnesota you have a short window to take advantage of that. There are a few other places around the 14,000 acre, 114 miles of shoreline lake but these four I can walk to or kayak to with ease.

post edited by Davydd - 2010/08/06 16:34:33
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/08/17 21:04:53 (permalink)
The Twin Cities has several classic drive-ins. There is the Dari-ette in St. Paul, Wagner's in Brooklyn Park, The Galaxy in St. Louis Park (formerly a Wagner's), The Minnetonka Drive-in in Spring Park (Lake Minnetonka) and the Peppermint Twist in Delano, MN. Porky's in St. Paul is no longer a true drive-in if you are wondering.

We went to the Peppermint Twist this week to treat our 7 year old granddaughter to a bygone era and something better than McDonalds even though she got her chicken nuggets.

The building with a walk up ordering window

The drive-in parking where you order from your car

Looking back at the Peppermint Twist from the extensive picnic/playground area

The posted order menu at the drive-in parking with speaker phones

Representative examples of their outstanding onion rings, breaded pork tenderloin sandwich and famous peppermint twist shake

It is worth the drive to Delano on US Highway 12 at the Hennepin County and Wright County border especially in these dog days of summer when the weather is perfect to eat in your car with the windows down or more comfortably at a picnic table. It seems to me modern cars with drastically curved windows just are as convenient for holding those classic aluminum trays. It used to be a lot simpler back in the 50s with squarer windows and bench seats.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/08/24 14:10:15 (permalink)
If you are wondering, wanderingjew is exploring the upper Midwest including Minnesota right now so will have an interesting upcoming report. I met wanderingjew at Lord Fletcher's Old Lake Lodge on Lake Minnetonka for a beer last week. We did not partake any food since he had an ambitious schedule already set out. I know a walleye sandwich was one item on his list and I think maybe we missed an opportunity. I went back the next day with my family visiting from the Washington DC area and had perhaps one of the better walleye sandwiches in a while.

Lord Fletcher's Old Lake Lodge walleye sandwich

They also served walleye as a wrap

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/08/27 13:40:27 (permalink)
The Minnesota State Fair is underway for 12 days ending Labor Day. My favorite food stand is Giggles Campfire Grill at the north end in an area called North Woods where they put on shows like logging competitions.

They have a distinct north woods menu probably unlike anything you will find elsewhere.

Yesterday we had the Boat Load of Sunnies, sunfish (panfish) filets lightly battered and deep-fried with a lingonberry dipping sauce.

We also had the Walleye Fries, deep-fried Canadian Walleye strips served with an herb and lemon tartar sauce.

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/08/28 10:54:17 (permalink)
If you are looking for a deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich at the Minnesota State Fair there are a couple of places. The Jurassic Stand across from the Pet Barn at the very north end of the fair has one. This year I tried the one at Spamville, the Spam booth. They serve Spamburgers but I passed on them to pursue my hobby. I was afraid the pork tenderloin might have been a processed product like spam but it wasn't. It was a true breaded pork loin. They showed it to me before they fried it.

The Spamville booth across from the Education Building

The deep-fried breaded pork tenderloin sandwich

The building behind the booth houses Spamville selling Spam products, museum and Spam souvenirs. Spam is a Minnesota product.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat 2010/08/31 18:18:53 (permalink)
We made an encore visit to the Minnesota State Fair Monday. It was Senior Day and we got in cheap. It was also a convenient way to meet up with my brother in town from El Paso, TX/Chelem, Mexico. So I had more dining opportunities this year.

We started early at Giggles Campfire Grill again for their breakfast served from 7 to 10. We split this boat load of Chicken Fried Bacon. The dipping sauce was a cinnamon flavored sauce.

And we split this Heartland Sandwich that was BBQ pulled pork, American cheese and fried egg on a toasted hamburger bun.

The rest of the foods were eaten by someone else but I got the photos.

Deep-fried Pickles

Mouth Trap Deep-fried Cheese Curds in the Food Building

Big Fat Bacon. Deep-fried honey glazed bacon on a stick.

The classic Pronto Pup, a corn dog equivalent started at the fair in 1947. There are several booths throughout the grounds. This one is shown with a Summit Octoberfest Ale at the outdoor Ball Park Cafe.

The fair also serves Chicago Style Hot Dogs in the Food Court. There is another stand that sells Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches but given the sensitivity of Philadelphian area natives I avoided the place.

I started another thread for Scandinavian specific items for wanderingjew's benefit. I might add, but did not have it, that Giggles Campfire Grill serves a Foot Long Walleye Sandwich.
post edited by Davydd - 2010/08/31 18:20:53
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1