Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Minnesota - Where to Eat?

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 133
Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
Minnesota - Where to Eat? Fri, 06/19/09 11:57 AM (permalink)
Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat

Inspired by TJ Jackson's ongoing Cincinnati and NK chat why not have one for Minneapolis/St. Paul and Minnesota? I tip my hat to TJ for leading a great resource for Cincinnati. I've contributed numerous trip reports as have others and realize that if one wants a one stop place for information and recommendations it can be an exhaustive search. Also, when I look at the Minnesota restaurant listing in the Roadfood.com database (currently 14 as I write) the list appears dated and does not represent Minnesota all that well and what is happening in the Minnesota food scene.

What got me inspired to start this thread is the richness of the Minnesota food scene being discussed in food forums outside Roadfood.com that has not been touched on or barely discussed here. One in particular recently on a Chicago based forum just blew me away in awe. Why not here?
<message edited by Davydd on Fri, 08/6/10 3:36 PM>

Davydd

Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 11:58 AM (permalink)
    I'll kick off what I have contributed in the past here on Roadfood.com with my Lake Minnetonka thread (that I hadn't been keeping up), my Walleye sandwiches, and my northern Minnesota trip reports. Maybe we can move on from there and if others have message thread references go ahead and post them here for starters. Then let's share fresh bread and ideas. But let's keep it Minnesota.

Lake Minnetonka Minnesota
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=323877

Minnesota Fried Walleye Sandwich
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=161358

Minnesota Northern Exposure
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=310137

Minnesota's Lake Superior North Shore Tour
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=331967

Building the Brick Bread Oven in Grand Marais and the Gunflint Trail - A Culinary Odyssey
    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Building-the-Brick-Bread-Oven-in-Grand-Marais-and-the-Gunflint-Trail-A-Culinary-Odyssey-m517221.aspx

Davydd

Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 11:59 AM (permalink)
      First off, just to get it out of the way and satisfy my curiosity, is where is lutefisk regularly served in Minnesota restaurants?

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
        Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 12:31 PM (permalink)
        Actually, I'd like to hear about a good Thai-lutefisk fusion place...

Do places on Nicollet Mall count or are they too touristy?  We had a pretty good meal at the newspaper-themed place about a year and a half ago but I don't remember the details.

Brad

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
          Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 12:38 PM (permalink)
          I guess this is better than asking the moderators for a "Lutefisk" section - amongst the burgers, breakfasts, and snacks.

Good job, Davydd! 

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4484
            Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 12:48 PM (permalink)
            I hereby bless this thread in the name of the Mayor, the Sundancer, and all the other mods past and present.  May you go in peace to love and eat Roadfood.

rumaki

• Total Posts: 967
              Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 12:49 PM (permalink)
              Brad:  I think you're referring to The News  Room, http://www.thenewsroommpls.com/home.aspx
              I've never been to it.

Davydd

Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 1:19 PM (permalink)
                Brad,

Rumaki correctly identified it, the News Room. I once worked in that building so was well acquainted with it. The food is OK for lunch but would not be my choice for dinner given the many good places nearby. They have an interesting bar shaped like a ship's brow. That corner used to be the Times, another newspaper themed bar type restaurant before the block was torn down for the downtown Target store and office building.

Nicollet Mall and within a block of the Mall have a lot of good places. Across from the Newroom is the Irish pub, The Local that serves more Jameson than any other bar in America. They also serve the freshest Guinness that I have ever had in the states. Hell's Kitchen is just a block off the Mall. That's Michael Stern's last $20 place. A block away from the Newsroom is Vincent's - A Restaurant that serves a burger that was selected for the Food Network Magazine's 50 States, 50 Burgers list. So, I think it is a rich area for dining as there are many more places around. Friday and Saturday evening in the summer stands out for going down to the Mall as most all the restaurants have sidewalk dining and nearby Peavey Plaza has outdoor music entertainment.
                <message edited by Davydd on Fri, 06/19/09 1:20 PM>

buffetbuster

Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 1:21 PM (permalink)
                  davydd-
                  If I remember correctly, you are not a big fan of Convention Grill.  I have only been there once and really enjoyed it.   Fine burger, excellent hot fudge sundae and I had a beautiful blonde waitress, who actually stopped me in the street from driving away when I forgot my camera on the table.  What's not to love? 

Davydd

Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 1:32 PM (permalink)
                    Oh, I'm a fan the Convention Grill. I've gone there numerous times. It is a tad noisy in that you can hardly carry on a conversation. For a burger, they are good, but they are not near the best anymore. At one time they were tops in my mind and this is why I made the comment about the Roadfood.com list being rather dated. To me they now represent the best of what was the trendy yuppie 70s. I used to live very close by (26 years ago) and went there regularly.

There's some serious burger stuff going on in the Twin Cities. Maybe we'll get to that here.

Tedsrfs

• Total Posts: 14
                      Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 4:06 PM (permalink)
                      Good subject.  I see what you mean about Mn restaurant listings,  too few, and way more choices that should be offered.   Newbie on this forum but long time reader. 
                      Not to dwell on this subject too much, and hope it's triple wrapped in newspaper and buried in the far corner of the garden soon,  if you're really serious about lutefisk,  try any lutheran church from approx Nov 1- up to christmas.   Start in the yellow pages and x- check their church bulletins on-line. Reservations are almost always required, they sell out and nobody admits going.   I see the "Norwegian Glee Club of Mpls" offered a lutefisk dinner as recent as March 2009.  Yes,  I never heard of them either, not sure they're all sons of norway, or even lutheran.   The best lutefisk dinners I ever ate were held at St Olaf college in Northfield,  where Betty White was from when she was on the Golden Girls.  That woman's still got legs.    And so did all those folks trying to elbow their way to the front of the line.   If, and If you could get tickets to the college's holiday concerts,  this was a good place to go for dinner before.  I always only had svedish meatballs and potato sausages, and you were served all kinds of scandinavian trimmings alongside.  I can't say there's much lutefisk fusion, you'd be better off trying walleye, much better tasting, whatever culture is combined. 

Tedsrfs

• Total Posts: 14
                        Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 4:09 PM (permalink)
                        The most recent place I had lunch is the Black Forest Inn, mid south Mpls,  26th St. at Nicollet Ave South,.  Havent been in years, and now I wonder why not.  This could the greater part of a year to get thru their menu.  I had a deutsch burger,  hamburger, mushrooms, gravy ( like stroganoff, minus the sour cream)  with a melted cheese instead on home-made spaetzle,  half order was more than plenty.    http://www.blackforestinnmpls.com/ 
                        The next 3 places I want to try are:   Our Kitchen,  a small house set in a formerly residential neighborhood,  36th and Bryant Ave South.  Been there forever, so it must be zoned ok. Minimum seating, perhaps a dozen chairs and a counter to watch the cook fry hash browns and sausages and make pancakes that are supposed to be the size of a dinner plate.  
                        Sandy's Tavern,  66th St. and Penn Ave South.  I must have a thing for small places lately.    Burgers, no jucy lucys, looks like the olive burger is their specialty.     http://www.sandystavern.com/
                        Sea Salt.  Located in the old park pavilion by Minnehaha Falls, South Mpls.    Supposed to be remodeled, expanded this year.  Haven't heard if waiting lines are any shorter this summer.  Doesn't matter,  It's a good way to picnic without packing the picnic  basket.  http://seasalteatery.wordpress.com/ 

Bobs

• Total Posts: 244
                          Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 5:24 PM (permalink)
                          Davygg- Great information and pictures as usual. I always rely on you for recommendations when we visit our son and family in Victoria. The four year old granddaughter especially likes the pizza at Punch's as we all do. Great places to eat and your descriptions are right on. My offer still stands to treat you to West TN barbecue if you get down this way.

Davydd

Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 5:47 PM (permalink)
                            Tedsrfs,

First, welcome to Roadfood.com. No, I am not serious about lutefisk but I know a Rhode Islander that is just dying to get out here and try it. That and hotdish.

When I had my architectural office in the Uptown area in Minneapolis across the street from the Sons of Norway I joined for one year even though I am not Norwegian. It was just because their happy hour bar was about a third the price of the Rainbow. That was back about 1981 and I did attend their holiday White dinner that year. If I ever had lutefisk that had to be the time but I don't remember for sure.

Oh how we forget the Black Forest. That's another place I have not been to for a while and I have been reading a lot of good comment about it lately especially their baked goods. When I worked near the Minneapolis Institute of Art we used to frequent the Black Forest and the Artist Quarter for lunch. Black Forest would be part of Eat Street the nickname for lower Nicollet Avenue from the Mall down to where it was cut off from Lake Street. That's an area that has a plethora of independent restaurants rarely mentioned here.

Our Kitchen sounds interesting. Let me know if Sandy's Tavern serves a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. That's my specialty pursuit.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2375
                              Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 6:16 PM (permalink)
                              Davydd - Is the MSP location of Brett Favre's Steakhouse included on your list?

jrp
                              <message edited by JRPfeff on Fri, 06/19/09 10:11 PM>

Davydd

Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 6:45 PM (permalink)
                                jrp,

I don't think it has opened yet. Something to do with health inspection and pork shoulders.

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                                  Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                  I haven't had any food experiences outside of the Twin Cities. We never made it up to Duluth or Gran Marais. I hope to get up there someday.
                                  In Minneapolis we always had to eat at least one breakfast at Hell's Kitchen. We also had to eat several meals on Eat Street with our favorites being Quang, Jasmine Deli, and Pho Tau Bay for Vietnamese. We had a really good meal at Black Forest some years back. The spaetzle lentil salad was wonderful. 

The best Ethiopian I've ever had in my life was at Fasika in St. Paul. The TC has a huge East African community with a great selection of restaurants.

We also liked to go to Northeast and eat at a number of places on Central. Great inexpensive ethnic food of all kinds.

Davydd

Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 8:29 PM (permalink)
                                    According to my TV guide Diners, Dives and Drive-ins is repeating an episode tonight at 9:30 Eastern 8:30 Central time on Minneapolis "stuffed burgers" known locally as the Jucy Lucy.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7399
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 8:48 PM (permalink)
                                      Davydd

Tedsrfs,

First, welcome to Roadfood.com. No, I am not serious about lutefisk but I know a Rhode Islander that is just dying to get out here and try it. That and hotdish.

When I had my architectural office in the Uptown area in Minneapolis across the street from the Sons of Norway I joined for one year even though I am not Norwegian. It was just because their happy hour bar was about a third the price of the Rainbow. That was back about 1981 and I did attend their holiday White dinner that year. If I ever had lutefisk that had to be the time but I don't remember for sure.

Oh how we forget the Black Forest. That's another place I have not been to for a while and I have been reading a lot of good comment about it lately especially their baked goods. When I worked near the Minneapolis Institute of Art we used to frequent the Black Forest and the Artist Quarter for lunch. Black Forest would be part of Eat Street the nickname for lower Nicollet Avenue from the Mall down to where it was cut off from Lake Street. That's an area that has a plethora of independent restaurants rarely mentioned here.

Our Kitchen sounds interesting. Let me know if Sandy's Tavern serves a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. That's my specialty pursuit.

Hotdish, yes!
                                      Lutefiisk? No!

Only one thing I can truly ad to this thread

The late great Crabtree's Kitchen....

Oh, if only you knew how much you are missed!

May you rest in peace!

Davydd

Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 9:11 PM (permalink)
                                        wj,

We just use lutefisk as bait to lure you in. Fishing is big in Minnesota, you know.

This will also lure wj in. This is a progress photo as of today of the new Minnesota Twins ballpark, Target Field. Interestingly, it looks as if they are putting down a green roof on the Target Center in the lower left. That wasn't even there 3 days ago. That's where the Minnesota Timberwolves NBA basketball team plays. The parking garage in the lower right is where I parked for 17 years when I worked downtown.

<message edited by Davydd on Fri, 06/19/09 9:28 PM>

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
                                          Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 9:38 PM (permalink)
                                          I spent part of my evening after walking down Folly Beach with the MN relatives sitting on the condo coffee table with the three year olds pretending to catch walleye using the rubber snakes they got yesterday at the Edisto Island Serpentarium.  I wonder how many Sota-South Cack combo folks there are, besides me and KG?

We were at the Sea Salt in Minnehaha Falls Park--looked really cozy, and the menu was all seafood takeaway-type dishes.  We weren't hungry at the time, so we didn't get anything, but I'd be curious to try it.  There was also a big bakery/sandwich type place about a block or two from Maria's Cafe that I can't remember the name of that looked good.  Anybody been there?

Davydd

Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 9:44 PM (permalink)
                                            Davydd

According to my TV guide Diners, Dives and Drive-ins is repeating an episode tonight at 9:30 Eastern 8:30 Central time on Minneapolis "stuffed burgers" known locally as the Jucy Lucy.

DD&D on the Food Network featured Casper and Runyon's The Nook in St. Paul, MN tonight and showed the Juicy Nookie version of the Jucy Lucy. Adam, on Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel featured both Matt's Bar and the 5-8 Club versions of the Jucy Lucy this year. So the three main contenders have been on the food shows now. What makes the Nook burgers special for a neighborhood bar is the buns they use are baked fresh daily just down the street at a bakery. I noticed too they cut their fries fresh daily and soak them overnight in water and vinegar to make them more crispy. I thought that was interesnting.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                              Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 9:49 PM (permalink)
                                              The thread title says Minnesota. You got me here under false pretenses, davydd. (The only place I've ever eaten in MPLS is the airport. There's a Surf Taco place there that was pretty interesting. Otherwise I stick to my trail mix, frozen fruit & dry cereal from my purse.)

I have spent more hours than I care to admit in Rochester, MN over the last 4 years.

Victoria's downtown is the best. You can order a couple of appetizers & call that dinner for under $20. Of course, there is always the Raspberry Creme Brulee to bump it up a little more.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=521069&high=

I want to warn everyone who is a night owl, this city pretty much takes in the sidewalks @ 9pm. If you wait too long after your flight in to have something to eat, you will be outta luck.

There is a really good pizza place out by the Hampton called Mr Pizza. There was also a place out there called The Ranch, but they have since closed.

It's my goal to try Pannekoeken at least once before my time there is up. We do not have Dutch food here.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                                                Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 10:05 PM (permalink)
                                                stricken_detective

I want to warn everyone who is a night owl, this city pretty much takes in the sidewalks @ 9pm. If you wait too long after your flight in to have something to eat, you will be outta luck.

When we were there back in September '07 we stayed a few blocks from the AbominationDome and around 10pm Friday night we took a walk around a few blocks.  I couldn't believe how deserted the streets were.

Brad

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2375
                                                  • Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                  Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Fri, 06/19/09 10:38 PM (permalink)
                                                  May we cross the St. Croix?

Whenever I was in Hudson, my boss would take me to lunch at Dick's Bar.  Any place that can advertise itself as the oldest operating bar in Wisconsin is worth a stop.  The  dive-bar atmosphere and terrific burgers are other reasons to eat there.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                    Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Sat, 06/20/09 12:51 AM (permalink)
                                                    Great idea for a thread. Hope to visit the new ballpark in the next couple of years.

MiamiDon

Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Sat, 06/20/09 7:45 AM (permalink)
                                                      Davydd

What's the name of the episode?  (I have them all on DVD)

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                        Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Sat, 06/20/09 9:32 AM (permalink)
                                                        stricken_detective

The thread title says Minnesota. You got me here under false pretenses, davydd.

No false pretenses. It is Minnesota and Minneapolis/St. Paul. Half the people in Minnesota live in the Twin Cities and it seems quite a few spill out and head north up to da Lake. Half a million people go to the Mayo Clinic every year and 40 million go to the Mall of America. The Mayo Clinic just announced they are expanding into the Mall of America. Even Hudson, WI is considered part of the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area. Might as well cover the whole state and not try to split hairs.

Davydd

• Location: Tonka Bay, MN
                                                          Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Sat, 06/20/09 9:41 AM (permalink)
                                                          MiamiDon

Davydd

What's the name of the episode?  (I have them all on DVD)

Burgers, Rings and Fries

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
                                                            • Location: Minneapolis, MN
                                                            Re:Minnesota - Where to Eat? An Ongoing All Encompassing Chat Sat, 06/20/09 11:19 PM (permalink)

NOT to start a riot re: the regional-ness but for a very very nice patio and some damn fine greek food-wine  " It's greek to me "  (link,PLEASE! )  on Lake and Lyndale has never dissapointed, it's been my go to patio since they opened and it's ALWAYS had the best flaming saganaki cheese in town!!  

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 133

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com