Miscellaneous Forum Idea

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
2009/12/28 14:43:11 (permalink)

Miscellaneous Forum Idea

Seeing as the Miscellaneous Forum is not visible on the main page could it replace the roadfood poll section? Just an idea and wondering what others thought...Russ
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2009/12/28 15:14:01

39 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4654
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2009/12/28 15:07:50 (permalink)
    3rd rail
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2009/12/28 15:32:30 (permalink)
    I am pretty sure the Miscellaneous Forum was pulled off the main page because of periodic numerous complaints that it covered topics not directly related to Roadfood, and therefore these complainers didn't want to have to be annoyed by even seeing these topics listed.  (Somewhat similar to the periodic numerous complaints, possibly by these same people, about having to see the Restaurant Professionals Forum topics listed on the main page.)
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5493
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 16:36:51 (permalink)
    6star, not quite. It was also the opinion of management, myself included, that the Misc. section didn't belong on the front page. It detracts from the core "business" of Roadfood.

MikeS.
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1567
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 16:39:37 (permalink)
    It interferes with the core business of hot dog carts.
    Russ Jackson
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 17:32:16 (permalink)
    MikeS.

6star, not quite. It was also the opinion of management, myself included, that the Misc. section didn't belong on the front page. It detracts from the core "business" of Roadfood.

MikeS.

Don't you think it is more relevant than the weekly poll question? Plus it stimulates new topics and would keep topic hijacking to a minimum. Instead of topics getting off track they would go to the Miscellaneous section. Just an idea...Russ

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 17:48:33 (permalink)
    Miscellaneous - Food Related
    Have a food themed Roadfood question or topic that doesn't fit any of the other categories? Post it here!

This sure seems like "the core" of Roadfood to me.........just as much as some of the Front page forums.
    post edited by Greymo - 2010/01/05 18:00:17
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2130
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 18:34:12 (permalink)
    The home page is the where you create the first impression.  Imagine what a first-time visitor would think if the front page had a bunch of forum posts like:

LOL!
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 18:40:28 (permalink)
    Stephen,  I am not talking about the off-subject forum.  I am tallking about the Miscellaneous - Food Related

LOL!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 18:47:47 (permalink)
    Greymo

Stephen,  I am not talking about the off-subject forum.  I am tallking about the Miscellaneous - Food Related

LOL!

Greymo

Are you referring to the forum with all those wonderful relevant Roadfood related topics like

-Name that little tune
    -Food Recalls
    and my "personal favorite"
    -Bay Corn?

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 19:30:42 (permalink)
    No Roadfood content.  Should not be on main page.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Miscellaneous Forum Idea 2010/01/05 19:47:50 (permalink)
    If I may be so bold...

...and as the most modest poster on this site, how about a new front page forum entitled
    "i95's Thoughts" and where, like Larry King's incoherent ramblings in his old USA Today column,
    I begin a new post each day generated by my stream of unconciousness, er...conciousness?

I stand at the ready and at your disposal. Thank you.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 21:30:07 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Greymo

LOL!

Greymo

Are you referring to the forum with all those wonderful relevant Roadfood related topics like

-Name that little tune
    -Food Recalls
    -Bay Corn?

Well,  I cannot give a good response......................too busy  laughing at something on the front page right now.......................something called   Port-a-Potty
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 21:47:52 (permalink)
    Greymo

wanderingjew

Greymo

LOL!

Greymo

-Name that little tune
    -Food Recalls
    -Bay Corn?

Well,  I cannot give a good response......................too busy  laughing at something on the front page right now.......................something called   Port-a-Potty

Now THAT would create a wonderful FIRST IMPRESSION, although I guess the relevancy is that if you eat too much ROADFOOD you might need one sooner rather than later

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 21:51:46 (permalink)
    do hot dog vendors have irritable  bowel syndrome?
    If this was the case all could be made right, what with the available
    port-a-potty.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    Re:Miscellaneous Forum Idea 2010/01/05 21:54:09 (permalink)
    i95

...and as the most modest poster on this site, how about a new front page forum entitled
    "i95's Thoughts" and where, like Larry King's incoherent ramblings in his old USA Today column,
    I begin a new post each day generated by my stream of unconciousness, er...conciousness?

I stand at the ready and at your disposal. Thank you.

I think we have the "incoherent rambling" thing pretty well covered.

6star
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 22:46:46 (permalink)
    wanderingjew, I started (and continue) posting current Food Recalls because I thought it was a vital and relevant topic for both Restaurant Professionals and Roadfood members who cook and eat to have a ready reference on here for what food products they currently needed to be careful of or avoid completely in order that they, their customers, their families and their friends didn't get sick (and even die).  I felt that in this small way I could make a constant positive contribution to this website, instead of just being the recipient of all the varied information posted here.  

It is very possible that this effort was and is a waste of my time, and that Food Recalls are not at all relevant to Roadfood as you mentioned above.  Since there have been some "thank you" postings on the Food Recalls thread (which you can read if you so desire), I have felt that my effort was appreciated, at least by some Roadfood members.  However, if this is not correct, I will be more than happy to delete the entire Food Recall topic and not worry any more about doing my share of contributions. 

I am just happy that you, as well as some other Roadfood members, are wealthy enough to be able to constantly travel from coast to coast even in current economic times, so you can post trip reports on hundreds of Roadfood locations.  Even in my most active travel days (when I had, at most, five weeks paid vacation), I always had to try to get the "biggest bang for my buck", camping instead of staying in hotels, driving instead of flying and renting a car, and searching out the best food deals wherever I was.  Over a period of about 40 years, I visited all 50 U.S. states, all provinces of Canada, almost all Mexican states, most of Belize and a small part of Guatemala.  And I enjoyed every minute of it.  I wish you the best in all your travels.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 23:02:32 (permalink)
    6star

wanderingjew, I started (and continue) posting current Food Recalls because I thought it was a vital and relevant topic for both Restaurant Professionals and Roadfood members who cook and eat to have a ready reference on here for what food products they currently needed to be careful of or avoid completely in order that they, their customers, their families and their friends didn't get sick (and even die).  I felt that in this small way I could make a constant positive contribution to this website, instead of just being the recipient of all the varied information posted here.  

You have done, and hopefully will continue to do what you set out to do. 
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 23:11:50 (permalink)
    Thank you, Tony.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 23:13:54 (permalink)
    Thank you, Tony.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/05 23:26:23 (permalink)
    Thank you, Tony     And thank you , 6star!
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    Re:Miscellaneous Forum Idea 2010/01/06 00:25:45 (permalink)
    Russ Jackson

Seeing as the Miscellaneous Forum is not visible on the main page could it replace the roadfood poll section? Just an idea and wondering what others thought...Russ

I LOVE the idea, Russ !! 

Since there's room for that "Port a Potty" topic to be on the front page , there's gotta be a way to find room for the
    MISC. FOOD forum....!!

i95
    Re:Miscellaneous Forum Idea 2010/01/06 07:45:34 (permalink)
    OK. Enough. Noting the overwhelming response for the new "i95's Thoughts" forum, allow me to begin here:

"Speaking of port-a-potties, can we all agree that the 
    manufacturers of such incorporate a fold-down table on
    the inside of the doors (like that built-in to the back of
    airplane seats) so that those of us who simply want to
    sit a spell can also enjoy our chili dogs lunch?

Oh, and why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round.
    The jar is round. They should call it round tine."

Oh, and thanks, Tony.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4568
    Re:Miscellaneous Forum Idea 2010/01/06 08:03:21 (permalink)
    That Tonys not so Bad afterall!

Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Miscellaneous Forum Idea 2010/01/06 08:07:59 (permalink)

i95 - That rambling wasn't nearly as incoherent  as I thought it would be.... Well said, sir.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/06 08:32:53 (permalink)
    6star

It is very possible that this effort was and is a waste of my time, and that Food Recalls are not at all relevant to Roadfood as you mentioned above.  Since there have been some "thank you" postings on the Food Recalls thread (which you can read if you so desire), I have felt that my effort was appreciated, at least by some Roadfood members.  However, if this is not correct, I will be more than happy to delete the entire Food Recall topic and not worry any more about doing my share of contributions. 

I am just happy that you, as well as some other Roadfood members, are wealthy enough to be able to constantly travel from coast to coast even in current economic times, so you can post trip reports on hundreds of Roadfood locations.  Even in my most active travel days (when I had, at most, five weeks paid vacation), I always had to try to get the "biggest bang for my buck", camping instead of staying in hotels, driving instead of flying and renting a car, and searching out the best food deals wherever I was.  Over a period of about 40 years, I visited all 50 U.S. states, all provinces of Canada, almost all Mexican states, most of Belize and a small part of Guatemala.  And I enjoyed every minute of it.  I wish you the best in all your travels.

6Star

I never said you weren't providing a constant positive contribution because you are, and think that the miscellaneous food forum is fine for your thread. I'm certain that the restaurant professionals would be notified by their suppliers if there were any food recalls, however as far as consumers are concerned, I can understand your thread being a "front page topic" if the website was called "supermarket food" or "grocery store food"  another reason why I think the miscellaneous food forum is fine where it is.

As far as ME being wealthy, I can assure you I'm far from it. If my "6 figure a year friends" consider themselves to be "middle class" then that makes me "dirt poor"

Russ Jackson
    Re:Miscellaneous forum idea 2010/01/06 08:49:04 (permalink)
    If the Miscellaneous Forum was policed by the Moderator and off topic threads were put into the Miscellaneous - Off Topic & "Lighter Fare" section the problem would be solved. What is Bay Corn? Nice office Tony...Russ
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Miscellaneous Forum Idea 2010/01/06 09:42:40 (permalink)
    i95 

Oh, and why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round.
    The jar is round. They should call it round tine."

Oh, and thanks, Tony.

Do you have any thoughts on airline food that you'd like to share?
    i95
    Re:Miscellaneous Forum Idea 2010/01/06 10:12:27 (permalink)
    Dreadful airline food? It tends to reek havoc with my stomach.

Thanks, though, for asking, Tony from Moderator Hollow.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:Miscellaneous Forum Idea 2010/01/06 14:27:54 (permalink)
    maybe we could package all of this wise goodness into a new special Roadfood Brain Trust forum?
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1