Missing my cheeseburger subs

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
SNSPERFORMANCE
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2006/09/23 21:54:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ken8038

<<I'm in Keyport on the shore but willing to ride up to 30 mins for a good cheeseburger sub.>>

There's a deli called Slater's on Rt 36 eastbound in Leonardo, which is probably only about 10 minutes from Keyport. They make subs that a lot of people really like. Me, believe it or not, I think they put TOO MUCH meat on thier subs, which puts the meat/bread ratio way out of whack, but I'd still recommend the place, they use good quality bread and meats. Give it a try anyway, since it's so close. I do not know if they make cheeseburger subs. ---Ken

Yea I've heard of that place but havent checked it out yet. Heard you could make 2 sandwiches out of one with all the meat they give you.
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2006/09/23 22:37:12 (permalink)
I'm a bit tipsy and mizread the title of this thread. I thought it said "missing my cheese curd subs"...now that would be something. A side of marinara for dipping?
Bradoor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2006/10/26 08:24:11 (permalink)
CHEESE BURGER SUBS - I miss these with a passion. When I lived on the east coast cheeseburger subs were a weekly indulgence. Now I live in Kansas. They do not have cheese burger subs in Kansas or any of the surrounding States, as far as I can tell. I have been searching for 15 years. Maybe I need to open my own sub shop.

There are thousands of sub shops just none with cheeseburger subs…. CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE?
roadrash
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2006/10/27 12:00:37 (permalink)
I lived in the Baltimore area from birth till I was 36, and never once did I have a cheeseburger sub. Damn. That's one more thing I'll have to try to track down when I'm there in a couple of weeks.

As an aside, the best damn cheesesteaks in the Baltimore area are at the Real Thing in Towson on York Road.
Sneetch
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2006/10/27 13:20:57 (permalink)
...i agree, Slater's on rt. 36 is very good - i've had great breakfast sandwiches there, as well as crabcake subs...i bet they'll have the cheeseburger sub you're craving - close to the beach too...
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2006/10/27 20:43:17 (permalink)
Funny this thread was revived today.
I had another one just like the picture I posted awhile back..
Tonight!
Here is the picture of the one I had the last time, and the one I got tonight was even LARGER!
(I must get a new camera!)
Bradoor
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2006/10/30 09:32:26 (permalink)
That is cruel! That looks so good! I guess I need to schedule a trip back east! Soon!!!
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2006/10/30 10:26:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bradoor

CHEESE BURGER SUBS - I miss these with a passion. When I lived on the east coast cheeseburger subs were a weekly indulgence. Now I live in Kansas. They do not have cheese burger subs in Kansas or any of the surrounding States, as far as I can tell. I have been searching for 15 years. Maybe I need to open my own sub shop.

There are thousands of sub shops just none with cheeseburger subs…. CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE?

Isn't that the truth? I've been suggesting that Subway and some of the local sub chains offer hot dogs with all the fixin's they have. I love them Chicago Style (I skip the pickles, relish and peppers, but tomatoes, onions, and if the mustard's not French's yellow and they have CUCUMBERS, I'm in pork nirvana Many southern aquaintences like slaw dogs. I bet we've all had good chili dogs, too.

No takers. What a bust. I wish I had the capital to open my own place and offer hot dogs the way you like 'em.

It may not be a sub, but I bet you can find a place that offers burgers with all those fixin's on them. Just so it doesn't have a McDonald's bun and you can order two of them, go for that.
signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2006/11/03 18:17:50 (permalink)
Roadrash, you must have posted about liking the Real Thing a while back too, because it was in my memory and I know for much longer than just a week.

So today I had a cheesesteak sub from The Real Thing on York Road in Towson. It sucked, just like 99% of the other cheesesteak subs served in Baltimore. The cost for a 6" sub is $6 and for a 9" only $7. So value wise getting the 9", which I did, is a good buy. That's the last good thing I can say, except that the roll didn't have the usual foul taste of an H&S roll. It still ended up with the texture of wet cardboard and practically disinegrated from the grease, but it could have been an Ottenbergs, instead of an H&S. Usually I will ask the source of the rolls used, but because a Roadfooder had spoken highly of this place, I just ordered, and was dismayed at the end when I saw the type roll used.

Like every other place in Baltimore, the Real Thing chops the steak into oblivion, so that when you pick the thing up, hard to do since the roll is a wet mess, the little pellets of steak and onion fall out all over the place, not to mention that they get colder faster too.

So I'll reiterate for anyone interested. The only place in the Baltimore area whose subs are worthwhile is Pizza Johns on Back River Neck Road in Essex. Other than that, you have to drive to Philly or Atlantic City.
GCD1962
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 66
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2006/11/08 22:58:18 (permalink)
Cheeseburger subs and other types are great at a place called Angelina's in Great Barrington, Mass. Huge in size, good tasting, and reasonably priced. A great bargain in today's overpriced world of sandwiches
SNSPERFORMANCE
Junior Burger
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2007/12/28 17:48:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by signman

Roadrash, you must have posted about liking the Real Thing a while back too, because it was in my memory and I know for much longer than just a week.

So today I had a cheesesteak sub from The Real Thing on York Road in Towson. It sucked, just like 99% of the other cheesesteak subs served in Baltimore. So I'll reiterate for anyone interested. The only place in the Baltimore area whose subs are worthwhile is Pizza Johns on Back River Neck Road in Essex. Other than that, you have to drive to Philly or Atlantic City.

I like the cheesesteaks and cheeseburger subs from Alfeos in Mondawmin Mall. You have to go INTO the city to get good food in Baltimore.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18704
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2007/12/28 20:44:39 (permalink)
I don't understand this cheeseburger sub stuff, but if you can't buy one, why not just cook a couple of hamburger patties topped with cheese and put them on a sub bun?
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2007/12/28 22:52:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I don't understand this cheeseburger sub stuff, but if you can't buy one, why not just cook a couple of hamburger patties topped with cheese and put them on a sub bun?

I'm with you on this, Michael. Ditto on hot dogs, breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeat/maid-rites/tavern sandwiches, etc.. It's sure a helluvalot easier and cheaper to make your own than to travel all over trying to find something that's so basic. jmho, pb
saps
  • Total Posts : 1565
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2007/12/28 23:15:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

I'm with you on this, Michael. Ditto on hot dogs, breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeat/maid-rites/tavern sandwiches, etc.. It's sure a helluvalot easier and cheaper to make your own than to travel all over trying to find something that's so basic. jmho, pb
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2007/12/28 23:20:04 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

I don't know about all those that you mentioned. If I was on the road and had the opportunity to try something that appealed to me that was specific to a region or small area I'd probably like to try it. However, while I'd drive up to Connecticut for an appiza from Frank Pepe's, I sure wouldn't drive to wherever breaded pork tenderloin sandwichs are big just to taste one. And I wouldn't travel for a hot buttered lobster roll, as much as I love them, because I can easily make my own. But I somehow doubt that a cheeseburger sub is something specific to a particular area, as I recall a chain I never visited that was here in central Ohio for a while that advertised them.
salindgren
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2007/12/29 00:04:39 (permalink)
Yeah, I go along with Hoffman, the picture does not appeal so much to me, and I could probably do one at home, with really good bread. Is it just the shape that makes it a "sub"? I left the east when I was ten. I would think that MY cheeseburger sub would probably have the two patties, provolone, maybe a little chopped salami, thinly sliced red onion, a little chopped black olive, with sliced pepperoncini, maybe crudely chopped red leaf lettuce, a little Dijon mustard, and a light Italian dressing on the lettuce. Maybe I'm confused, when I hear "sub" I start thinking Italian. I don't see anyone on this thread talking about west coast cheeseburger subs.

In another vein, on the west coast I loved the Naugles cheeseburger with lettuce and Ortega chiles.

-Scott Lindgren
SNSPERFORMANCE
Junior Burger
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2007/12/29 10:19:52 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Sure you can make your own but it wont taste the same. Thats the whole point of eating out. I'm a pseudo-chef. I have a Wolf range with griddle and a Wolf deep-fryer and can make many dishes that I get when I eat out but I still eat out because the places make it taste better, not by much but just enough to where I'd rather pay and save me the headache of doing the dishes.

I can make some really good cheesesteaks but that doesnt stop me from running down to Philly every once in a while.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2007/12/29 11:45:55 (permalink)
I figure that if I can't make a sub, regardless of what kind, better than a sub shop I'll skip eating them.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2007/12/31 09:58:48 (permalink)
make the burger pattie the same shape as the sub roll,but a little bigger to allow for shrinkage.just use a long spatula to flip it (once of course). makes a neater sub than 2 patties.
SunshinePitt
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2008/01/27 17:59:22 (permalink)
I am in the military and have not lived in the land of Cheeseburger subs for 10 years. I dream about them at night. I have been trying for years to make one at home, but it was never the same. Not until i discovered the secret....after you make one, wrap it in wax paper and tin foil. Put it in a paper bag and make your wife drive it around the neighborhood before she delivers it to your front door. I am not sure how, but it makes them taste just like they did back in Maryland
SNSPERFORMANCE
Junior Burger
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2008/01/27 19:55:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SunshinePitt

I am in the military and have not lived in the land of Cheeseburger subs for 10 years. I dream about them at night. I have been trying for years to make one at home, but it was never the same. Not until i discovered the secret....after you make one, wrap it in wax paper and tin foil. Put it in a paper bag and make your wife drive it around the neighborhood before she delivers it to your front door. I am not sure how, but it makes them taste just like they did back in Maryland

I might have to try this.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2008/01/27 20:21:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SNSPERFORMANCE

quote:
Originally posted by SunshinePitt

I might have to try this.

There might be something to this. It's certainly true when it comes a muffuletta. pb
bucktooth
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2008/01/29 11:01:14 (permalink)
There was a place in Maryland back in the 80's called Blue Ridge Country Store, made a cheeseburger sub, wide 12" sub roll, 3 4.oz fresh burgers, perfectly grilled to order, toasted the roll, your choice of LTMO, fried or raw, hot pepper relish, must, ket, dill pickel slices. Lord they were great. Theu also made a whole cold cut sub that weighed over 2 lbs. when loaded. I weigh 195 lbs. when loaded!
Martini
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2008/12/14 19:58:16 (permalink)
I am from Cortland, NY, a small upstate NY college town and I live on the cheeseburger subs that King Sub makes!

These things are just about the best sandwich in the world. I get mine with mayo, lettuce, onion, tomato only. I skip everything else but they will load it up if you want it. The best part is you can order a double cheeseburger sub and it still cost less than ten bucks for a 16" sub!

The key part about this sandwich is that the owner slices the lettuce on the meat slicer so it comes out very thin and fine. This way it taste lite and flavorful and not all heavy and soggy.

It is really a well made sandwich!

I will post a picture on the next chance I get.

Ev1L
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2008/12/19 17:23:33 (permalink)
My first cheeseburger subs were from the chain D'Angelos (I know, I know---I was young and plead the 5th beyond that). I then tried making them at home with fresh ingredients and the rest is history.

We get alot of good fresh breads in CT. I was born and raised in Jersey and there are some rolls you get down there that just can not be replicated. My aunt used to go to this one bakery in paterson and they had the best hard rolls. I told her she was not allowed into CT unless she had a dozen rolls with her. Worked every time :D
Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2008/12/20 10:32:37 (permalink)
There is a place called Sketti Eddies on Cold Spring in Alonsoville.  They make really good subs, although I'm not sure if they do a cheeseburger.   Anyway, they have great rolls with a little bit of chew.  They are clearly not the H & S rolls.

I just checked and they do sell Cheeseburger subs.   oh and the place is spelled S'ghetti Eddie's

Here is the link

http://www.sghettieddies.com/index.php
post edited by Robearjr - 2008/12/20 10:37:19
signman
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2008/12/20 10:38:04 (permalink)

Right around the corner from me and I know and like the owner, but the Italian is pitiful.  Cheesesteak passable but prices are high.
Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2008/12/20 10:42:10 (permalink)
Granted the prices are high, but I think you would agree the rolls are better than most if not all that you would find in baltimore.

I also love the fact they offer broccoli rabe as sub fixing.
signman
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2008/12/21 01:00:12 (permalink)
Robearjr

Granted the prices are high, but I think you would agree the rolls are better than most if not all that you would find in baltimore.

I also love the fact they offer broccoli rabe as sub fixing.

Agreed.  Any roll that is not H&S is OK with me.

Any idea what they're opening where Sam's Bagels used to be?
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs 2008/12/21 10:03:37 (permalink)
I ordered a cheeseburger sub at a place here in Wilkes-Barre... what came was loosemeat with velveeta and fried onions. I don't know where the bun came from. It was inedible.

post edited by Mosca - 2008/12/21 10:06:07
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1