The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Missing my cheeseburger subs

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 73
Author Message
SNSPERFORMANCE

  • Total Posts: 19
  • Joined: 9/17/2006
  • Location: Atlanta, GA
Missing my cheeseburger subs Sun, 09/17/06 9:59 PM (permalink)
I'm originally from Baltimore and moved to Central NJ 6 years ago. I loved to get cheeseburger subs from Baltimore, really just about anywhere. 2 beef patties, american cheese, fried onions, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a sub roll. Unfortunately since I've moved to NJ I havent been able to find a place that makes them. Any help in located a cheeseburger sub like the one describe above would be helpful.

I'm in Keyport on the shore but willing to ride up to 30 mins for a good cheeseburger sub.
 
#1
    signman

    • Total Posts: 1743
    • Joined: 10/23/2000
    • Location: Baltimore, MD
    RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Sun, 09/17/06 10:44 PM (permalink)
    The subs in Baltimore suck, because most of them are made on sub rolls from H&S Bakery which are absolutely foul tasting. When I want a good sub I go to the White House in Atlantic City, NJ. Drive a little more than your 30 minutes and you will be enjoying the best subs on the planet.
     
    #2
      ellen4641

      • Total Posts: 3531
      • Joined: 5/1/2004
      • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
      RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Mon, 09/18/06 12:21 AM (permalink)
      white house makes a great cheeseburger sub, and there are plenty of other places down here in AC area that make them as well....

      in your central jersey area, next time you are in the freehold area, try Sorrento's Subs...
      they are on Rt. 33 between rt. 9 and the GSP.... I've gotten excellent tuna subs there...
      they probably make your cheeseburger sub, as well....... (garden state parkway south , from your Keyport area, then take exit 100, and go west...

      welcome to jersey!
       
      #3
        SNSPERFORMANCE

        • Total Posts: 19
        • Joined: 9/17/2006
        • Location: Atlanta, GA
        RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Mon, 09/18/06 5:48 PM (permalink)
        Thanks guys. I was actually willing to drive into Newark but I wont drive all the way down to AC. lol

        Wheres the best cheesesteaks in the Central NJ area?
         
        #4
          ann peeples

          • Total Posts: 8317
          • Joined: 5/21/2006
          • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
          RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Mon, 09/18/06 7:37 PM (permalink)
          I am beginning to think we have boring food in Wisconsin...cheeseburger sub sounds great!!!!!
           
          #5
            xannie_01

            • Total Posts: 1481
            • Joined: 10/18/2005
            • Location: albuquerque, NM
            RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Mon, 09/18/06 7:47 PM (permalink)
            ann,
            cheese is never boring
             
            #6
              ann peeples

              • Total Posts: 8317
              • Joined: 5/21/2006
              • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
              RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Mon, 09/18/06 7:53 PM (permalink)
              But that is all we have, Xannie!!!And the hips to prove it......
               
              #7
                xannie_01

                • Total Posts: 1481
                • Joined: 10/18/2005
                • Location: albuquerque, NM
                RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Mon, 09/18/06 7:56 PM (permalink)
                i'll send you some hatch chiles
                that'll put some fire in the wire..
                i'm gonna need help..i'm becoming
                a chilehead.
                it's those dang endorphine rushes...
                 
                #8
                  rjb

                  • Total Posts: 451
                  • Joined: 12/15/2003
                  • Location: Bronxville, NY
                  RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Mon, 09/18/06 8:09 PM (permalink)
                  Yorkside Pizza in New Haven used to make a great cheeseburger grinder, aka sub. Probably still do. Basically same idea, but no mayo or fried onions, though both could probably be had.
                   
                  #9
                    SNSPERFORMANCE

                    • Total Posts: 19
                    • Joined: 9/17/2006
                    • Location: Atlanta, GA
                    RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Mon, 09/18/06 8:11 PM (permalink)
                    New Haven CT?
                     
                    #10
                      rjb

                      • Total Posts: 451
                      • Joined: 12/15/2003
                      • Location: Bronxville, NY
                      RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Tue, 09/19/06 8:22 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by SNSPERFORMANCE

                      New Haven CT?

                      Correct. On York Street near Elm Street. They also make terrific Greek -style pizza (baked in a shallow pan, not at all like the Chicago pan pizza). Same folks have been working there for over 25 years.
                       
                      #11
                        tamandmik

                        • Total Posts: 949
                        • Joined: 6/25/2003
                        • Location: Las Cruces, NM
                        RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Tue, 09/19/06 1:51 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by SNSPERFORMANCE

                        Thanks guys. I was actually willing to drive into Newark but I wont drive all the way down to AC. lol



                        I used to drive from Morristown, northwest of Newark, down to AC about 3-4 times a year for the White House Cheeseburger sub. IMHO, it is the single best sub on the planet. If you do make it there, don't forget the Sausage Parm sub as well, which is a close #2.

                        God, I miss the White House.
                         
                        #12
                          xannie_01

                          • Total Posts: 1481
                          • Joined: 10/18/2005
                          • Location: albuquerque, NM
                          RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Tue, 09/19/06 2:05 PM (permalink)
                          if you go to the white house, slip the guy making your sub a buck..it's worth it.
                           
                          #13
                            Brookerme

                            • Total Posts: 52
                            • Joined: 2/2/2004
                            • Location: West Hartford, CT
                            RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Tue, 09/19/06 3:19 PM (permalink)
                            My first experience with a cheeseburg grinder was from Lou's on Rt. 32 near the UConn campus. As you describe but with the addition of bacon. Long gone. My son has just relocated to Baltimore and is also looking for a decent grinder (OK sub) to match the Hartford ones that he is used to.
                             
                            #14
                              phlmaestro2000

                              • Total Posts: 109
                              • Joined: 8/3/2006
                              • Location: Philadelphia, PA
                              RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Tue, 09/19/06 4:30 PM (permalink)
                              The truck next to my office makes cheeseburger hoagies. It's a nice ocassional treat.
                               
                              #15
                                Oneiron339

                                • Total Posts: 2075
                                • Joined: 2/13/2002
                                • Location: Marietta, GA
                                RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Tue, 09/19/06 4:41 PM (permalink)
                                I miss those subs too, nothing like them in ATL.
                                 
                                #16
                                  SNSPERFORMANCE

                                  • Total Posts: 19
                                  • Joined: 9/17/2006
                                  • Location: Atlanta, GA
                                  RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Tue, 09/19/06 5:32 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Brookerme

                                  My first experience with a cheeseburg grinder was from Lou's on Rt. 32 near the UConn campus. As you describe but with the addition of bacon. Long gone. My son has just relocated to Baltimore and is also looking for a decent grinder (OK sub) to match the Hartford ones that he is used to.


                                  Alfeao's (sp) in Mondawmin Mall, 1st floor makes some really good subs.
                                   
                                  #17
                                    signman

                                    • Total Posts: 1743
                                    • Joined: 10/23/2000
                                    • Location: Baltimore, MD
                                    RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Tue, 09/19/06 10:22 PM (permalink)
                                    Whose bread do they use?
                                     
                                    #18
                                      SNSPERFORMANCE

                                      • Total Posts: 19
                                      • Joined: 9/17/2006
                                      • Location: Atlanta, GA
                                      RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Wed, 09/20/06 6:50 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by signman

                                      Whose bread do they use?


                                      I dont know but the burgers are so good I wasnt worrying about the bread.
                                       
                                      #19
                                        BigAl72

                                        • Total Posts: 44
                                        • Joined: 7/10/2006
                                        • Location: Astoria, NY
                                        RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Wed, 09/20/06 7:50 PM (permalink)
                                        Went to school in Baltimore, I'm still trying to lose the weight I gained from too many cheeseburger subs. My favorite sub place was Pappa Salli's in greenmount (sketchy area, only go during broad daylight, or call for delivery), they made the best cheesesteaks. I did like the bread, it was different from the standard bread you'd get in baltimore. I loved their cheesesteaks, but I think they did cheeseburger subs also. Another good place for subs is Angelo's in Hamden, the veal parm sub is particularly good, there. There are a couple places in southeast baltimore (canton, highlandtown) that are known for more authentic italian type subs (good hard rolls, etc.), but living near JHU, I never got a chance to check those places out.

                                        All that being said, I think the original poster will be able to find much better subs in NJ than in Baltimore.
                                         
                                        #20
                                          SNSPERFORMANCE

                                          • Total Posts: 19
                                          • Joined: 9/17/2006
                                          • Location: Atlanta, GA
                                          RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Wed, 09/20/06 8:45 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by BigAl72

                                          Went to school in Baltimore, I'm still trying to lose the weight I gained from too many cheeseburger subs. My favorite sub place was Pappa Salli's in greenmount (sketchy area, only go during broad daylight, or call for delivery), they made the best cheesesteaks. I did like the bread, it was different from the standard bread you'd get in baltimore. I loved their cheesesteaks, but I think they did cheeseburger subs also. Another good place for subs is Angelo's in Hamden, the veal parm sub is particularly good, there. There are a couple places in southeast baltimore (canton, highlandtown) that are known for more authentic italian type subs (good hard rolls, etc.), but living near JHU, I never got a chance to check those places out.

                                          All that being said, I think the original poster will be able to find much better subs in NJ than in Baltimore.


                                          I know where Greenmount is. I went to school at "City", the nation's 3rd oldest high school. Anyways I havent been able to find a cheeseburger sub in my area.
                                           
                                          #21
                                            sk bob

                                            • Total Posts: 1801
                                            • Joined: 12/29/2005
                                            • Location: South Daytona, FL
                                            RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Wed, 09/20/06 8:56 PM (permalink)
                                            Olympia Diner in Newington,CT makes a great cheeseburg grinder
                                             
                                            #22
                                              oltheimmer

                                              • Total Posts: 214
                                              • Joined: 6/25/2006
                                              • Location: Houston, TX
                                              RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Wed, 09/20/06 9:17 PM (permalink)
                                              I've been following this thread hoping someone would describe the bread and post a picture.

                                              Sounds a lot like a N'awlins hamburger poboy. I get mine without cheese and have never tried fried onions (don't even know if they're available). Typically dressed just with lots of mayo, shredded lettuce, pickle chips and tomatoes, on a crusty french roll.
                                               
                                              #23
                                                ellen4641

                                                • Total Posts: 3531
                                                • Joined: 5/1/2004
                                                • Location: Egg Harbor Township, NJ
                                                RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Wed, 09/20/06 9:34 PM (permalink)
                                                wow, this thread really took off!

                                                also check out Sub World on Rt. 9 in Beachwood, (just south of Toms River)

                                                It is just south of the Roy Rogers restaurant.
                                                I've had excellent tuna subs to take out there, and the place seems to do a brisk take out business. They've got their act together.

                                                So my answer to you regarding best subs in central jersey are
                                                #1) Sorrento's and Sub World (tie!)
                                                 
                                                #24
                                                  SNSPERFORMANCE

                                                  • Total Posts: 19
                                                  • Joined: 9/17/2006
                                                  • Location: Atlanta, GA
                                                  RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Wed, 09/20/06 10:54 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by ellen4641

                                                  wow, this thread really took off!

                                                  also check out Sub World on Rt. 9 in Beachwood, (just south of Toms River)

                                                  It is just south of the Roy Rogers restaurant.
                                                  I've had excellent tuna subs to take out there, and the place seems to do a brisk take out business. They've got their act together.

                                                  So my answer to you regarding best subs in central jersey are
                                                  #1) Sorrento's and Sub World (tie!)


                                                  But do they make cheeseburger subs? I'll have to try them out I guess.
                                                   
                                                  #25
                                                    roossy90

                                                    • Total Posts: 6695
                                                    • Joined: 8/15/2005
                                                    • Location: columbus, oh
                                                    RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Thu, 09/21/06 3:04 AM (permalink)
                                                    Had one today as a matter of fact....
                                                    Not in Maryland, but in South Carolina......

                                                    Here is the link to my photos and mini review of the restaurant in Conway, South Carolina--just outside Myrtle Beach........

                                                    Enjoy..
                                                    It was so good...
                                                    http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15426
                                                     
                                                    #26
                                                      Oneiron339

                                                      • Total Posts: 2075
                                                      • Joined: 2/13/2002
                                                      • Location: Marietta, GA
                                                      RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Thu, 09/21/06 7:29 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by roossy90

                                                      Had one today as a matter of fact....
                                                      Not in Maryland, but in South Carolina......

                                                      Here is the link to my photos and mini review of the restaurant in Conway, South Carolina--just outside Myrtle Beach........

                                                      Enjoy..
                                                      It was so good...
                                                      http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15426

                                                      Man, that looked good. I'd go for the sauteed onions, though.
                                                       
                                                      #27
                                                        QFan

                                                        • Total Posts: 641
                                                        • Joined: 12/8/2004
                                                        • Location: Bonita Springs, FL
                                                        RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Thu, 09/21/06 9:52 AM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by SNSPERFORMANCE

                                                        I'm originally from Baltimore and moved to Central NJ 6 years ago. I loved to get cheeseburger subs from Baltimore, really just about anywhere. 2 beef patties, american cheese, fried onions, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a sub roll. Unfortunately since I've moved to NJ I havent been able to find a place that makes them. Any help in located a cheeseburger sub like the one describe above would be helpful.

                                                        I'm in Keyport on the shore but willing to ride up to 30 mins for a good cheeseburger sub.


                                                        However, one consolation for moving from Ball-meer to NJ is that you are now in White Castle land. I'd call that a hell of a good consolation!

                                                        QFan
                                                        Bonita Springs, FL
                                                         
                                                        #28
                                                          SNSPERFORMANCE

                                                          • Total Posts: 19
                                                          • Joined: 9/17/2006
                                                          • Location: Atlanta, GA
                                                          RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Thu, 09/21/06 6:55 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by QFan

                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by SNSPERFORMANCE

                                                          I'm originally from Baltimore and moved to Central NJ 6 years ago. I loved to get cheeseburger subs from Baltimore, really just about anywhere. 2 beef patties, american cheese, fried onions, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a sub roll. Unfortunately since I've moved to NJ I havent been able to find a place that makes them. Any help in located a cheeseburger sub like the one describe above would be helpful.

                                                          I'm in Keyport on the shore but willing to ride up to 30 mins for a good cheeseburger sub.


                                                          However, one consolation for moving from Ball-meer to NJ is that you are now in White Castle land. I'd call that a hell of a good consolation!

                                                          QFan
                                                          Bonita Springs, FL


                                                          Dude you have no idea. 1am after coming home from a Yankees game we went and racked up over $100 worth of food.
                                                           
                                                          #29
                                                            ken8038

                                                            • Total Posts: 1559
                                                            • Joined: 2/4/2004
                                                            • Location: scotch plains, NJ
                                                            RE: Missing my cheeseburger subs Thu, 09/21/06 8:42 PM (permalink)
                                                            <<I'm in Keyport on the shore but willing to ride up to 30 mins for a good cheeseburger sub.>>

                                                            There's a deli called Slater's on Rt 36 eastbound in Leonardo, which is probably only about 10 minutes from Keyport. They make subs that a lot of people really like. Me, believe it or not, I think they put TOO MUCH meat on thier subs, which puts the meat/bread ratio way out of whack, but I'd still recommend the place, they use good quality bread and meats. Give it a try anyway, since it's so close. I do not know if they make cheeseburger subs. ---Ken
                                                             
                                                            #30
                                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 73

                                                              Jump to:

                                                              Current active users

                                                              There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                                              • New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

                                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com