Mississippi Belle in Indianapolis?

Author
rumaki
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1014
2012/04/22 15:53:13 (permalink)

Mississippi Belle in Indianapolis?

Found one passing reference (favorable) on this site to Mississippi Belle in Indianapolis. 

The online reviews from other sources praise the restaurant's pan-fried chicken.

Anybody been there?

I could conceivably go there for lunch next Saturday.  Already have a reservation at Hollyhock Hill on Sunday.

3 Replies Related Threads

Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    Re:Mississippi Belle in Indianapolis? 2012/04/22 17:20:20 (permalink)
    Haven't eaten there myself, but it gets good reviews from everyone. If you want soul food in Indianapolis you also have the Kountry Kitchen restaurant. Everyone I've run across have said the food was great. One of these days I'll make it to the Belle. I've driven past it numerous times over the years, but have never been in eating mode when I've been in the area.

Do remember, if you make it, that they're cash only, as far as I know.
    post edited by Root-Beer Man - 2012/04/22 17:23:01
    rumaki
    Re:Mississippi Belle in Indianapolis? 2012/04/23 13:04:57 (permalink)
    Thanks. My brother and I plan to have lunch there this Saturday, and I will report back!
    rumaki
    Re:Mississippi Belle in Indianapolis? 2012/05/01 18:12:03 (permalink)
    Quick update on our trip to Mississippi Belle this past Saturday.  It was great!

We got there about 11:20 a.m., and there were two other parties already eating.  The lunch menu is a little more limited than the dinner menu, but there was still plenty of choice.  My brother ordered the meat loaf, mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans. I had white meat pan-fried chicken (breast and wing), mashed sweet potatoes, and collard greens.

Service is quick, and the waitress brings your food to you on  rolling cart.

Lunch comes with two pieces (per diner) of hot water corn bread, served atop some sliced raw onions.  (You can order tomatoes or more corn bread for an extra fee.)  Drinks are included with dinner, but charged as an extra at lunch. We both ordered the home-brewed sweet tea, which was very good, "Southern," and very sweet.  We ordered the large size, and the waitress refilled our glasses.

The fried chicken was quite good -- tasty, well-fried, with some limited spice.  It wasn't my favorite fried chicken on this trip -- the honors for that go to Hollyhock Hill, where I had Sunday lunch the next day.  But it was very good.

The sweet potatoes were SWEET, but tasty. The collard greens were delicious, and still had a bit of bite to them.

My brother enjoyed his meat loaf. I tasted the mashed potatoes and the green beans, and they were all very good, too.

The highlight, for me, was the hot water corn bread.  Really good.  Really, really good.  I could have eaten more, but I refrained.

As we were finishing up, two cops walked in for lunch. They sat at the table next to us and gave us their opinion on the best dishes there.  They were clearly regulars.

We did not have room for dessert, so I can't report on that.

The prices were very reasonable, though I think  the best value would be the family-style all-you-can-eat meals on Sundays.  That said, there was plenty of food for lunch.

The atmosphere was warm and the waitress welcoming.

I'd go back.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1