Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Missouri Breakfast & Dinner

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 66
Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sat, 03/27/10 8:49 AM (permalink)
If I'm not mistaken I believe they call them crisps.

Shara

• Total Posts: 123
    Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sat, 03/27/10 8:57 AM (permalink)
    Up here in Maine everyone seems to love fries with salt and "vinny" (never heard it put that way anywhere else). We're in the midst of moving to western NC, and I was rather amazed to see stores selling the salt and vinegar chips everywhere we went there recently. Guess it's a smaller world than I thought...
    <message edited by Shara on Sat, 03/27/10 8:59 AM>

mhill95

• Total Posts: 189
      Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sat, 03/27/10 10:35 AM (permalink)
      Visit your local "Five Guys"
      They have bottles of malt vinegar, they serve no fish but do feature fresh cut fries.

mike

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3667
        Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sat, 03/27/10 11:37 AM (permalink)
        My dauther in law takes her little jug of pure maple syrup when she goes to Waffle House.........maybe you could carry a small bottle of malt vinegar with you  when going out for French fries.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Michael Hoffman

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sat, 03/27/10 11:48 AM (permalink)
          No, I was brought up to display good manners.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
            Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sat, 03/27/10 11:52 AM (permalink)
            MissKitty, you referred to American french fries that are similar in size and shape to chips in the UK, and I think that what you're describing are what, in the US, are called "steak fries". America's nationwide Red Robin burger chain ( sit-down restaurants, not fast food ) is known for theirs.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
              Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sat, 03/27/10 2:25 PM (permalink)
              Actually Bob, I think what she is describing is closer to the fries served at Al's, Smoque, and Gene and Jude's.  Fresh cut, skin on, blanched once and then deep fried a second time for crispness.

In fact, Miss Kitty, what you are describing as the UK difference between a chip and a French fry, in the US is simply the difference between a mediocre French fry and a great one.

Buddy

MissKitty

• Total Posts: 292
                Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sat, 03/27/10 4:33 PM (permalink)
                @Bill Voss - yep, Michael Hoffman is right, they are crisps Insanely enough, there were times when I would sprinkle malt vinegar on plain salted ones... I don't think this is a general habit though.

And yes, BuddyRoadhouse is pretty much correct with his correlation, although Uk chips are generally cut a bit thicker than even Gene and Jude's. Bob, what we have as steak fries here, unless you are lucky,  in many cafes, pubs etc are uniformly oblong larger versions of commercial french fries, straight from the freezer & not that exciting.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 2:28 AM (permalink)
                  Miss Kitty,

If I may ask, you refer to Gene & Jude's with some familiarity.  Do you know them strictly through exposure here on Roadfood; have you visited the US, or are you an ex-pat?

Just curious,

Buddy
                  <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Sun, 03/28/10 4:35 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                    Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 3:12 AM (permalink)
                    Out here in the Phoenix AZ area, 5 & Diner has received a mixed reaction. I think they're a franchise. A good # of them have closed including one close to my home. The food & service was fine. The one's that remain open seem to be doing OK. They don't do much advertising or couponing. Very low brand awareness. Their locations aren't the greatest. May be a Franchisee problem.
                    Edit: l looked them up and they are a franchised company, started in Phoenix in 1986. Sold to  LPM Holding Co. in 2008. The original buildings were patterned after the NJ  Stainless Steel Drop-In Diners. They've since changed that approach.
                    <message edited by Foodbme on Sun, 03/28/10 3:33 AM>

MissKitty

• Total Posts: 292
                      Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 6:21 AM (permalink)
                      @ Buddy : Nope, not an ex-pat. Yes, I have visited various parts of the US over the years although my  " familiarity " with Gene & Jude's is purely through Roadfood as I've not yet made it to Chicago. Any rl familiarity is more with southern US, more specificially NC, SC & GA, and also a little bit with NYC & NJ. Hope that helps. 

Michael Hoffman

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 7:58 AM (permalink)
                        Foodbme

Out here in the Phoenix AZ area, 5 & Diner has received a mixed reaction. I think they're a franchise. A good # of them have closed including one close to my home. The food & service was fine. The one's that remain open seem to be doing OK. They don't do much advertising or couponing. Very low brand awareness. Their locations aren't the greatest. May be a Franchisee problem.
                        Edit: l looked them up and they are a franchised company, started in Phoenix in 1986. Sold to  LPM Holding Co. in 2008. The original buildings were patterned after the NJ  Stainless Steel Drop-In Diners. They've since changed that approach.

I'll be darned. I had no idea it was a franchise. The one I went to is a stainless steel building. And Phoenix, eh? I'll have to tell my daughter about it. She lives in Scottsdale.

Foodbme

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 2:21 PM (permalink)
                          Michael Hoffman

Foodbme

I'll be darned. I had no idea it was a franchise. The one I went to is a stainless steel building. And Phoenix, eh? I'll have to tell my daughter about it. She lives in Scottsdale.

Some are Company owned, some franchised. I suspect the one you went to is franchised. There's one in Scottsdale on the South side of Indian Bend Rd, right off the 101. Near the Pavilions Shopping Center---I'm sure she'll know where that is! http://www.5anddiner.com/

Give me a shout next time you come out and I'll take you to some Diners, Drive-In's & Dives!! 

Michael Hoffman

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 3:18 PM (permalink)
                            Oh, heck, I never go out there. Too hot for me. But thanks for the offer.

Foodbme

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 3:35 PM (permalink)
                              Michael Hoffman

You just need to come out in the beautiful months, March, April, May or Oct, Nov, Dec.
                              It's a a beautiful day today. Sun shining, Highs in the upper 70's, Humidity at 11%!

I put my top down, put an "Oldies" CD on, Cruise around the 55+, Double-wide Trailer Parks pickin' up Old Widowed Chicks! 

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                MissKitty,

You need to get yourself to Chicago sometime.  Give us a heads up warning and I'll bet we could put together a pretty good group to show you around!

Buddy

Michael Hoffman

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 4:41 PM (permalink)
                                  Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

You just need to come out in the beautiful months, March, April, May or Oct, Nov, Dec.
                                  It's a a beautiful day today. Sun shining, Highs in the upper 70's, Humidity at 11%!

I put my top down, put an "Oldies" CD on, Cruise around the 55+, Double-wide Trailer Parks pickin' up Old Widowed Chicks! 

Any time the temperature climbs to 40 I consider it a heat wave. Over 40 and it's unbearably hot.

DocChuck

• Total Posts: 88
                                    Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 6:41 PM (permalink)
                                    So tell me, Foodbme, what do you think about life in Tucson?  My wife's company has just acquired the state-wide contract for providing medical services in Arizona's correctional facilities.

She is always open to accepting a transfer if the area is up to our living standards.  And, of course, we are quite enamored with MOST of the state of Arizona.  I spent a lot of time there as a youngster.

Perhaps you could provide some helpful input that I could pass on to my (much younger than I --- LOL!) adventurous wife.

Thanks in advance.

Foodbme

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 7:13 PM (permalink)
                                      DocChuck

So tell me, Foodbme, what do you think about life in Tucson?  My wife's company has just acquired the state-wide contract for providing medical services in Arizona's correctional facilities.

She is always open to accepting a transfer if the area is up to our living standards.  And, of course, we are quite enamored with MOST of the state of Arizona.  I spent a lot of time there as a youngster.

Perhaps you could provide some helpful input that I could pass on to my (much younger than I --- LOL!) adventurous wife.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what your "Living Standards" are but I assume you both are in the Medical Profession. Noticing that you list Colombia MD & Houston as places you've lived, I'm not sure if Tucson would meet your standards.

Personally, I've never been impressed with Tucson. To me, it looks like a town that grew out of control. I'm sure there are some nice, upscale neighborhoods there but I've never been able to find them. The Univ. of AZ  has a very good Medical School there as you probably know. There's an area called Ono Valley north of town that is nice. Mostly professionals living there. If I were thinking about moving to AZ and had a choice of where to live, I would definitely take The Phoenix area over Tucson. Phoenix has more to offer, The Arts, Cultural Activities & Events, Professional Sports, Dining & Entertainment, Education if you have Children (Very Good Private Schools.) Wider Variety of Housing, etc. AND, It's closer to Sedona!

Foodbme

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 7:24 PM (permalink)
                                        Michael Hoffman

Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

Any time the temperature climbs to 40 I consider it a heat wave. Over 40 and it's unbearably hot.

Then come out in Jan & Feb. We have a climate for everyone! And if you want Snow, Drive up to Flagfstaff! (Elev 6000 ft!)
                                        Flagstaff, Arizona has gotten more snow this winter than Anchorage, Alaska, and Buffalo, N.Y., combined!   

Michael Hoffman

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Sun, 03/28/10 8:39 PM (permalink)
                                          Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

Then come out in Jan & Feb. We have a climate for everyone! And if you want Snow, Drive up to Flagfstaff! (Elev 6000 ft!)
                                          Flagstaff, Arizona has gotten more snow this winter than Anchorage, Alaska, and Buffalo, N.Y., combined!   

I was in Artizona once. I don't have to go there for the snow.

DocChuck

• Location: Columbia, MD. and Houston, TX.
                                            Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Mon, 03/29/10 5:51 AM (permalink)
                                            Foodbme

DocChuck

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure what your "Living Standards" are but I assume you both are in the Medical Profession. Noticing that you list Colombia MD & Houston as places you've lived, I'm not sure if Tucson would meet your standards.

Personally, I've never been impressed with Tucson. To me, it looks like a town that grew out of control. I'm sure there are some nice, upscale neighborhoods there but I've never been able to find them. The Univ. of AZ  has a very good Medical School there as you probably know. There's an area called Ono Valley north of town that is nice. Mostly professionals living there. If I were thinking about moving to AZ and had a choice of where to live, I would definitely take The Phoenix area over Tucson. Phoenix has more to offer, The Arts, Cultural Activities & Events, Professional Sports, Dining & Entertainment, Education if you have Children (Very Good Private Schools.) Wider Variety of Housing, etc. AND, It's closer to Sedona!

Thanks for the info, we appreciate it.  My wife is the medical professional, I am retired (Ph.D. in Psychology).  No children, but "The Arts, Cultural Activities & Events, Professional Sports, Dining & Entertainment" are VERY important to us, as well as outdoor sports (fly fishing and downhill skiing).  My wife is 15 years younger than I and is still very active -- LOL.

The reason I mentioned Tucson was that her company may open a Regional office there from which to administer their Arizona contract.  I don't think the location pick has been finalized.

Thanks, again.

oopsme

• Total Posts: 18
                                              Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Mon, 03/29/10 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                              I had some of the best chicken wings I ever had at a place called Chicken Bones in St Robert Mo.

DocChuck

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Mon, 03/29/10 2:29 PM (permalink)
                                                Speaking of "Missouri Breakfast and Dinner", my wife and I recently visited Hannibal, Missouri (some of her relatives are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and have offices in the World Headquarters there).  I make no secret that I am an agnostic, but I was totally impressed with my personal guided tour of the RLDS World Headquarters (see many photos of the tour on my website, if interested).

But, the point is, we stayed at the Garth Woodside Mansion in Hannibal in the Dowager House, and I must tell you that it was an experience that I will never forget.  The breakfasts and dinners were simply magnificent .

While she was visiting relatives, I visited Mark Twain and Jesse James (at least their homes and the museum which contains so many artifacts relating to these two heroes of mine).

If you love the State of Missouri, as we do,  please do yourself a favor and plan a few days visiting Hannibal, Missouri.  You will NOT regret the decision.  

Foodbme

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Mon, 03/29/10 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                                  DocChuck

Foodbme

DocChuck

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I've never been impressed with Tucson. To me, it looks like a town that grew out of control. I'm sure there are some nice, upscale neighborhoods there but I've never been able to find them. The Univ. of AZ  has a very good Medical School there as you probably know. There's an area called Oro Valley north of town that is nice. Mostly professionals living there. If I were thinking about moving to AZ and had a choice of where to live, I would definitely take The Phoenix area over Tucson. Phoenix has more to offer, The Arts, Cultural Activities & Events, Professional Sports, Dining & Entertainment, Education if you have Children (Very Good Private Schools.) Wider Variety of Housing, etc. AND, It's closer to Sedona!

Thanks for the info, we appreciate it.  My wife is the medical professional, I am retired (Ph.D. in Psychology).  No children, but "The Arts, Cultural Activities & Events, Professional Sports, Dining & Entertainment" are VERY important to us, as well as outdoor sports (fly fishing and downhill skiing).  My wife is 15 years younger than I and is still very active -- LOL.

The reason I mentioned Tucson was that her company may open a Regional office there from which to administer their Arizona contract.  I don't think the location pick has been finalized.

Thanks, again.

Don't take me wrong. With Tucson being a College town, there are "The Arts, Cultural Activities & Events, College Sports, Dining & Entertainment" available there. It's just that there is more of it in Phoenix. There is a Ski Area right outside Tucson on Mt. Lemmon, http://www.skithelemmon.com/index.html There's also a Major Observatory up there
                                                  To the Northwest and for longer weekends, there is Snow Bowl in Flagstaff,  http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/ and Sunrise in the Northeast White Mountains.  http://www.sunriseskipark.com/

There's a bunch of Streams available for Fly fishing in AZ. http://www.azflyfishing.net/proshop/home.php

There are quite a few Wineries to the Southeast of Tucson.  http://www.arizonavinesandwines.com/wineries.html
                                                  The town of Tubac between Tucson and Nogales is quite an Artists Community. It's like Sedona was 50 years ago. http://www.tubacaz.com/
                                                  There are some great resorts & spas around the area including the original Canyon Ranch. http://www.canyonranchtucson.com/

The Sterns have spent a lot of time in Tucson and there are quite a few restaurants written up on here. On the main Roadfood web site page, in the upper right corner, there's a place to look up restaurants. Go there.

That should keep you busy for the afternoon!

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                    Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Tue, 03/30/10 12:30 AM (permalink)
                                                    Trudy, Sam and I took a couple vacations to Tucson and ate nothing but roadfood. We also met up with former regular poster BT and had a wonderful time. Tucson is one of the two or three greatest roadfood cities in the United States.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                      Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Tue, 03/30/10 12:32 AM (permalink)
                                                      Michael Hoffman

Geico had a very funny commercial where the gecko used a memento dollar bill to purchase a package of crisps.

Michael Hoffman

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Tue, 03/30/10 8:54 AM (permalink)
                                                        mr chips

Michael Hoffman

Geico had a very funny commercial where the gecko used a memento dollar bill to purchase a package of crisps.

You're right. I forgot about that commercial.

DocChuck

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Tue, 03/30/10 9:06 AM (permalink)
                                                          GREAT research, Foodbme, and I thank you.  After reading the various links it appears that it will be rather difficult for me to refuse moving to Arizona if my wife accepts their (her company's) offer, which she is presently negotiating with the St. Louis office.

I appreciate the time you spent tracking down the appropriate info 

DocChuck

Re:Missouri Breakfast & Dinner Tue, 03/30/10 4:37 PM (permalink)
                                                            YES, I also remember that silly commercial.  However, it did not impress me as 'funny.'  But then, I have a rather dry sense of humor.
                                                            <message edited by DocChuck on Wed, 03/31/10 8:47 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 66

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com