Mobile- Gulf Shores

Author
kennythecook
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2003/06/28 22:53:58 (permalink)

Mobile- Gulf Shores

Will be in the Mobile-Gulf Shores area July4-10. I've come up with several interesting ideas of places to eat,but wanted to hear from someone who has been there. My wife and I have two boys 6 & 7. Any help appreciated.

15 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/06/28 23:18:18 (permalink)
    Kenny
    Do a search on this site for that area..I recall some discussion of the area a few months ago, but don't recall what thread.
    AL
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/06/28 23:35:19 (permalink)
    Some one out there has to be heading to Gulf Shores Alabama this spring, and since I'm not able to get all the way to the Gulf, I gotta an excellant recommendation for those lucky snowbirds ...
    Wolf Bay Lodge
    9050 Pinewood Ave
    Elberta, AL
    251-987-5129

Located East of Foley, Alabama and south of Elberta, Alabama
    Fresh Gulf Seafood, Fried or Broiled to order and several steps above any of the places located on the main beach. Worth downloading a map
    and a drive to find this Roadfood Spot. Not Advertised anywhere, except for 2 or 3 small road signs in the town of Miflin, Alabama.
    But expect a reasonable wait for a table at dinner time on Friday night, always a crowded establishment during Lent

O.K. I cut & Pasted that response, it's under where to eat, several pages ago ...
    Foley, Al also has a Lambert's Cafe, Throwed Rolls, you'll enjoy it
    bingeCT
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/06/29 11:14:37 (permalink)
    Went there last August with kids and hubby; just loved it! For all-you-can-eat breakfast, try Hazel's. Our all-around favorite was Miss Carrie's Gumbo Pot -- terrific gumbo and New Orleans specialties; great seafood sandwiches. Breakfast & lunch only; good luck wading through the waitress' New Orleans accents!
    Best seafood value was Gulf Shores Steamer, good if you're watching your fat or carbs intake, too. (Not cheap, per se, but seafood was good and quantities were generous) There's also a restaurant whose name escapes me, that's on its own pier just east of the main beach, that had very good fried seafood, etc.
    Do not eat at Reds & Ribs, the food was terrible. Excellent barbecue at Smoky Mac's, which was in a dumpy little building, by itself, behind the amusement "park"/arcade. It may still be there, but when we were there, they were talking about moving in with the sports bar that's on the mainland connector, on the east side, right before the first bridge. (Sorry, that's the best I can do!) If you get rain, there's a nice movie complex that's open all day on the mainland connector.
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/06/29 17:24:31 (permalink)
    The Restaurant on the pier, east of Gulf Shores is "Sea n Suds" good for lunch http://www.ahospitalityguide.com/gsob/sea-n-suds.htm

Traveling with two younger boys, I gotta recommend Lambert's Cafe in Foley, Alabama.
    It's definately someplace they will appreciate. The Servers THROW yeast rolls to the customers across the dining room. As Long as you catch the rolls, you'll gain Huge style Points with the kids. Then the servers also serve portions of the meal semi-family style, rounding to each table with fried orka, fried potatoes, Sorghum for those yeast rolls (which are really good).
    Once you get comfortable with the wait staff bring items to your table, the pranks begin ...
    an Ice Tea picture, half filled, brought to your table and dumped towards your lap, when you discover it set in polyurethane ... a stock pot that they reach into with tongs, and remove
    the beanie baby SKUNK and place it along side you plate ... You might not want to give the kids any details about this place before you go there ...

My favorite is still Wolf Bay Lodge, the food is better than anywhere else, but it's
    a honky tonk, lots of good fresh hot food and cold beer. Which might not impress the kids like Lambert's
    http://www.throwedrolls.com/
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/06/29 19:47:52 (permalink)
    When returned home yesterday from week's trip to Mobile and through lower Alabama was surprised that the first Roadfood forum I discovered was this one re Mobile-Gulf Shores. I'm happy to report that the Dew Drop Inn (Roadfood Rest. Review) continues to feed Mobile folks its always great hot dogs (have found none better), and both the Dew Drop and The Tiny Diny (my 6/1/03 "Where Should I Eat in Ala." forum posting) continue to offer their delicious plate lunches & vegetables. However, I guess under the "everything is relative" category, I must say that I now rate their vegetables a notch below those which I recently so enjoyed at my first visit to Ed & Kay's Rest. in Benton, AR (my 6/1/03 "Vegetable Plates I've Known & Loved" forum posting). I was suprised to see that the Wintzell's Oyster House branch located on Airport Blvd. in western Mobile is still open after the horrible food & service I experienced there a year ago. Needless to say, I did not return to it and did not try The Brick Pit Barbecue in that tho good, its somehow never quite done for me what it does for most people.

I did not do my usual thing of hitting many seafood restaurants when in Mobile area this time in that I had better offers which I readily accepted - several out of this world home cooked seafood dinners! Based on past experience, tho, I would surely agree with the recommendations of Wolf Bay Lodge for seafood. Among the other many good seafood restaurants in the area I've always particularly enjoyed both the Mobile Bay Causeway and the Gulf Shores Original Oyster Houses. I second BingeCT's recommendation of Hazel's for breakfast, and am pleased to read pigface's review of Lambert's in Foley. I've not been there in some time, but the first several years it was open it never seemed nearly as good as the original Lambert's in Sikeston, MO, & several of us had our doubts as to its survival from the few patrons we ever saw there. Sounds like it must have gotten its act together. The kids would probably enjoy all "the action" there, though I always enjoyed lunch at The Gift Horse, a rather unusual, unique buffet right in downtown Foley much better than I did Lambert's, tho neither was the place to go for seafood. Tho not directly food related, I highly recommend detouring down through Fairhope and touring all through that wonderful town & then going on down by Point Clear and The Grand Hotel and into Foley and then on down to Gulf Shores rather than going straight down Hwy. 59 from I-10. Fairhope is one of the most interesting, beautiful, charming, different, & prosperous little towns you'll ever find and the total drive is beautiful. Should you all be in the area on your anniversary or any other such special occasion, Sunday brunch at The Grand Hotel with its great & extensive (and expensive) food offerings, champagne, orchestra, beautiful setting and view of Mobile Bay is the place for those "once a year special occasions", though certainly the antithesis of what we typically think of as "road food". If you all should get over to Pensacola, FL, during the day I highly recommend McGuire's Irish Pub (my 6/1/03 "Garbage Plate" posting under "Recipes & Cooking" forum) for lunch.

"Willie's Place" in downtown Brewton, AL, was recommended as a surprisingly good restaurant for seafood, particularly for a small inland town. Stopped there for lunch with idea of a shrimp or oyster po-boy or seafood luncheon plate, but when saw on menu their offering of a "Kentucky Special" sandwich and instantly recognized it as a "Hot Brown", decided that was what I had to have, not having been in Kentucky or southern Indiana in several years. Though some restaurants may offer them, I've never before seen a "Hot Brown" by any name offered by any AL, MS, LA, AR, or Memphis area TN restaurant. The waitress, busboy, & cashier knew nothing of the history of Kentucky "Hot Browns" but said the "Kentucky Special" was one of their most popular luncheon items. Their version of it was surprisingly good and close to an original "Hot Brown". It did have some subtle spice or seasoning flavor I could never recognize which was foreign to an original "Hot Brown"; not necessarily better or worse but just a bit different. Other than that, tho, I was amazed at their job of replicating the original. Brewton's "Hot Brown" was certainly the surprise of this trip. And Willie's Place, in a neat old downtown building, was appealing both physically and in its other menu offerings.

Kennythecook, hope you and the family have a great Mobile - Gulf Shores vacation soon. If you can get the boys off the beach & out of the water, they (as well as you) would probably enjoy the Battleship Alabama Park & exhibits on Mobile Bay Causeway and the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola, while all of you, but the Mrs. particularly, might enjoy Bellingrath Gardens at Theodore and the huge shopping center just south of Foley. Have a hugely successful vacation. Liketoeat
    kennythecook
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/06/29 21:15:43 (permalink)
    Thanks to one and all. I've been known to overplan our vacations, but we aren't rich and have to make every moment count. I hate to be in a place and wonder where a good place to eat might be or what is there to do here. Everything Liketoeat suggested is someplace I was already tentatively scheduling (even Bellingrath). Last year in Savannah we checked into our hotel and walked two blocks to The Lady and Sons. The next day we hit Mrs. Wilkes and two days later hit The Crab Shack. Its sure great to have an idea of where you want to go when you get there. Any other suggestions? I got no help at all from Fodors.
    rosmith
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/06/29 23:58:31 (permalink)
    In Gulf Shores, our favorites in order are: Sea and Suds (on the beach), Coconut Willies, and The Original Oyster House. We have also eaten at Mikee's a few years ago and it was good then.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/07/06 12:56:45 (permalink)
    In Mobile you should also try the Catalina. Family run and hasn't changed in years, although they did change locations a few years ago. These people really know what to do with the flour and deep fat.
    schoonie52
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/07/07 16:53:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pigface

Some one out there has to be heading to Gulf Shores Alabama this spring, and since I'm not able to get all the way to the Gulf, I gotta an excellant recommendation for those lucky snowbirds ...
    Wolf Bay Lodge
    9050 Pinewood Ave
    Elberta, AL
    251-987-5129

Located East of Foley, Alabama and south of Elberta, Alabama
    Fresh Gulf Seafood, Fried or Broiled to order and several steps above any of the places located on the main beach. Worth downloading a map
    and a drive to find this Roadfood Spot. Not Advertised anywhere, except for 2 or 3 small road signs in the town of Miflin, Alabama.
    But expect a reasonable wait for a table at dinner time on Friday night, always a crowded establishment during Lent

O.K. I cut & Pasted that response, it's under where to eat, several pages ago ...
    Foley, Al also has a Lambert's Cafe, Throwed Rolls, you'll enjoy it
    " />
    Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/07/07 17:05:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Liketoeat

When returned home yesterday from week's trip to Mobile and through lower Alabama was surprised that the first Roadfood forum I discovered was this one re Mobile-Gulf Shores. I'm happy to report that the Dew Drop Inn (Roadfood Rest. Review) continues to feed Mobile folks its always great hot dogs (have found none better), and both the Dew Drop and The Tiny Diny (my 6/1/03 "Where Should I Eat in Ala." forum posting) continue to offer their delicious plate lunches & vegetables. However, I guess under the "everything is relative" category, I must say that I now rate their vegetables a notch below those which I recently so enjoyed at my first visit to Ed & Kay's Rest. in Benton, AR (my 6/1/03 "Vegetable Plates I've Known & Loved" forum posting). I was suprised to see that the Wintzell's Oyster House branch located on Airport Blvd. in western Mobile is still open after the horrible food & service I experienced there a year ago. Needless to say, I did not return to it and did not try The Brick Pit Barbecue in that tho good, its somehow never quite done for me what it does for most people.

I did not do my usual thing of hitting many seafood restaurants when in Mobile area this time in that I had better offers which I readily accepted - several out of this world home cooked seafood dinners! Based on past experience, tho, I would surely agree with the recommendations of Wolf Bay Lodge for seafood. Among the other many good seafood restaurants in the area I've always particularly enjoyed both the Mobile Bay Causeway and the Gulf Shores Original Oyster Houses. I second BingeCT's recommendation of Hazel's for breakfast, and am pleased to read pigface's review of Lambert's in Foley. I've not been there in some time, but the first several years it was open it never seemed nearly as good as the original Lambert's in Sikeston, MO, & several of us had our doubts as to its survival from the few patrons we ever saw there. Sounds like it must have gotten its act together. The kids would probably enjoy all "the action" there, though I always enjoyed lunch at The Gift Horse, a rather unusual, unique buffet right in downtown Foley much better than I did Lambert's, tho neither was the place to go for seafood. Tho not directly food related, I highly recommend detouring down through Fairhope and touring all through that wonderful town & then going on down by Point Clear and The Grand Hotel and into Foley and then on down to Gulf Shores rather than going straight down Hwy. 59 from I-10. Fairhope is one of the most interesting, beautiful, charming, different, & prosperous little towns you'll ever find and the total drive is beautiful. Should you all be in the area on your anniversary or any other such special occasion, Sunday brunch at The Grand Hotel with its great & extensive (and expensive) food offerings, champagne, orchestra, beautiful setting and view of Mobile Bay is the place for those "once a year special occasions", though certainly the antithesis of what we typically think of as "road food". If you all should get over to Pensacola, FL, during the day I highly recommend McGuire's Irish Pub (my 6/1/03 "Garbage Plate" posting under "Recipes & Cooking" forum) for lunch.

"Willie's Place" in downtown Brewton, AL, was recommended as a surprisingly good restaurant for seafood, particularly for a small inland town. Stopped there for lunch with idea of a shrimp or oyster po-boy or seafood luncheon plate, but when saw on menu their offering of a "Kentucky Special" sandwich and instantly recognized it as a "Hot Brown", decided that was what I had to have, not having been in Kentucky or southern Indiana in several years. Though some restaurants may offer them, I've never before seen a "Hot Brown" by any name offered by any AL, MS, LA, AR, or Memphis area TN restaurant. The waitress, busboy, & cashier knew nothing of the history of Kentucky "Hot Browns" but said the "Kentucky Special" was one of their most popular luncheon items. Their version of it was surprisingly good and close to an original "Hot Brown". It did have some subtle spice or seasoning flavor I could never recognize which was foreign to an original "Hot Brown"; not necessarily better or worse but just a bit different. Other than that, tho, I was amazed at their job of replicating the original. Brewton's "Hot Brown" was certainly the surprise of this trip. And Willie's Place, in a neat old downtown building, was appealing both physically and in its other menu offerings.

Kennythecook, hope you and the family have a great Mobile - Gulf Shores vacation soon. If you can get the boys off the beach & out of the water, they (as well as you) would probably enjoy the Battleship Alabama Park & exhibits on Mobile Bay Causeway and the Naval Aviation Museum at NAS Pensacola, while all of you, but the Mrs. particularly, might enjoy Bellingrath Gardens at Theodore and the huge shopping center just south of Foley. Have a hugely successful vacation. Liketoeat
    Hey, LTE is the Kentucky Brown the same as the renowned Mr. Brown of brisket smoking?
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/07/07 20:04:18 (permalink)
    oneiron939 - Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with Mr. Brown of brisket smoking fame (but sounds interesting). Who, where, & what is he? My referene to a Kentucky Brown or Hot Brown is to the famous opened faced sandwich served in Kentucky and some parts of southern Indiana. For complete info on the subject, under the "Sandwiches" Forum see the postings under the topic "Kentucky Brown" and particularly see the relevant postings under the topic "Open Faced Hot (you name it) Sandwich". I think they are delicious. Liketoeat
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/07/07 20:08:24 (permalink)
    Oneiron339 - My apologies for getting your name wrong in the posting immediately above. LTE
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/07/14 15:32:12 (permalink)
    Kenny, hope you and the family had good trip to Mobile-Gulf Shores area. Hope all the rain that area had a bit back didn't mess up the family vacation too badly. Let us know of your trip and particularly of your eating adventures. Liketoeat
    kennythecook
    Junior Burger
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/07/14 18:07:16 (permalink)
    Just got back. Forgot to mention two days in Pensacola (Gulf Breeze) in my original message. Our vacations are usually comprised of one part touring, one part beach and pool, and one part eating and we had a great time in all areas. Eating enjoyment, is strictly a matter of individual preference and depends heavily on the mood of the eater, the cook , and the server, not to mention the weather or your kids. Having said that in Mobile we enjoyed the Brick Pit but missed the Dew Drop Inn because it wasnt' open at the times we went to eat there. We also really liked the Original Oyster House on Battleship Parkway. Trying to grab a quick bite before going to the 4th of July concert and fireworks led us to one of the worst McDonalds ( I don't like McDonalds at all but with two happy meal toy crazy boys I have to eat there at least once every three months) I have ever seen on Gov. street. The tables had been cleaned about the last time the grease was changed and that was longer ago than anybody had worked there as they had no clue about their products or registers. Oh well. Gulf Shores brought us good meals at Sea and Suds and Hazle's and a surprisingly good meal at a chain BBQ (waiting for pictures to develop) Sonny's outside of Foley. Their Feast for Four included generous portions of chicken, ribs, pork and beef not to mention at least a quart of slaw and baked beans. This came in at under $30. BJ's Seafood was allright, nothing to go back for especially for the price and Doc's Gulf Shores was a mistake. At Pensacola not having researched the area and being hungry, a bad combination, and wanting to bypass MCD we tried Oriental at Golden China. All buffet and no cars is another bad combination, dimly lit poorly serviced, we waited for some fresh product which kept body and soul together to wait for the next meal. Asking advice brought us to The Creamery in a shopping center next to Bruno's for dinner. Clean, well lit, good service and strange menu of regular and German food. This place was great. The next day we got to Mrs. Hopkins in Pensacola which though hard to find was well worth the wait. The fried chicken was wonderful and the vegetables were some good southern food. The last meal of the trip at Flounders in Pensacola Beach was the highlight of the trip. The chowder, the seafood, the presentation were all a notch or two or three above any we had had up to that time.
    Bear in mind these are my opinions only and are subject to different influences than the next diner. We never could fit looking for Wolf Bay into our schedule and we have a Lamberts a scant 75 miles away in Ozark Mo. that we frequent,(not that it matters it was so overrun with business every time we went by that even if we'd wanted we would never had have time to go)
    We got to see the USS Alabama, Mobile fireworks, Ft. Conde, Museum of Mobile, Exploreum, Oakleigh, Bellingrath, Bayou de Batre, the ferry ride, Fairhope, the beach, Pensacola Village, Naval Air Museum, Pensacola Beach, the Blue Angels and ... surely I'm forgettin something . We had a great time and enjoyed this part of the country immensely. The people were friendly (except for the receptionist at the Orange Beach Walk-In Medical facility; sun poisoning) the weather moderate, and the food great. Thanks for helping me plan this vacation. Kennythecook

Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Mobile- Gulf Shores 2003/07/14 18:52:16 (permalink)
    Hi, Kenny. Enjoyed tremendously reading of your Mobile-Gulf Shores-Pensacola vacation and glad you all had overall a great time; at least it sounds that way. Hope most of all that the kids had a good vacation. Happy for all of you. Sounds like you all really did a lot, and your descriptions are so good that I can basically just follow you all around that area in my mind. Your eats experiences sound basically right on as I recall for the places with which I'm familiar. Sorry about your Mobile McDonalds & beach sun poisoning experiences. It's been a long time since I was at Flounders, but in past know it was good, which is not surprising, considering its owned by folks who also own McGuire's Irish Pub. Just got back from your general area, I suppose, as was this week up in Mountain Home, AR, to Ava, MO, area. Enjoyed seeing that part of country, and although trout isn't my favorite fish (much prefer catfish, bream, crappie, or salt water fish), I did enjoy the Rainbow Trout & Game Ranch and its restaurant at Rockbridge, MO. For trout, it was good and the setting of the restaurant and ranch are lovely. That is "cheating fishing" though. With that many trout in that such clear water there is no way not to catch one. I told friends if you didn't get a bite you could just reach down and grab one. They laughed and said that staying & fishing at that resort (all for pay) was rich city folks idea of "roughing it". Again, glad you all had good vacation. Liketoeat
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1