Mobile Vendor Permits in NYC

Author
Taco Bus
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2006/07/21 15:13:54 (permalink)

Mobile Vendor Permits in NYC

My partner and I are excstatic about the idea of operating a Mobile Vending Truck here in Manhattan. We've got a great concept, our financing is locked in, and we're raring to get started. Only problem is, the New York Department of Consumer Affairs says there not issueing any more permits, period. They won't even put us on the waiting list.

Is this the final word? Do we just forget the whole idea or are there other options available? Is there any second-hand market for permits? Any way to purchase a permit from a retiring operation?

Thanks in advance for you help and advice!

3 Replies Related Threads

festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Mobile Vendor Permits in NYC 2006/07/21 18:09:38 (permalink)
    From what I understand ,many of the vendors you see in NYC,are not the actual vending permit holders,they rent or lease the permit from the original holder.I've heard that veterans are given priority for NYC permits,but how to access permit holders is something you have to find out.If it does not work out,remember people have to eat everywhere,and the cost of doing business in NYC is very high,so it might be a blessing in disguise and you might find a great spot right over the bridge in NJ.I know the city seems like a great opportunity,but the competition with established food places is fierce,and they are everywhere you turn in the city,and look at the mobile food vendors you do see in the city,not too many look too well off financially.I'm sure some do ok,but the majority look like they are barely getting by.I'm not trying to discourage you,just broaden your horizons,as far as possibilities where you can set up,and be successful.Best of luck in whatever you decide,and remember when one door closes two more open if you keep looking!
    Taco Bus
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Mobile Vendor Permits in NYC 2006/07/24 18:17:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for your help! After digging around some, it turns out you are 100% correct. While the city won't be issueing more permits any time soon, there are people who already own permits and lease them to new operators.

FlattedFifth
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Mobile Vendor Permits in NYC 2006/07/24 20:22:25 (permalink)
    I may be able to help you with this. I am emailing you now. If you don't receive it please contact me.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1