Mobile coffee truck, confused on powering

Author
perknup
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/10/27 10:22:48 (permalink)

Mobile coffee truck, confused on powering

Hello all, I'm completing a build out of a espresso / smoothie truck from a converted mini bus, after looking around a ton I've confused myself on how to power the equipment. I searched here but could not find a definitive answer so here goes:

I will be running an 120v espresso machine, with a 2nd in reserve, a blendtec blender, som flojet water pumps, a shurflow water pump and small bosch 2.5g water heater. I already have a dual battery back from the old handicap lift and will be switching those out with Optima batteries, I can add more in parallel.  So I was considering running everything off 2 3000watt or a single 5000 watt Aims or Xantrex inverter and leaving the vehicle running while at sites. When doing fairs I was going to purchase an inverter with a transfer switch and rent a generator for those events. My concern with the generator is 1st where to mount it. I've seen the rear and front bumper mounts, no disrespect intended but they are sort of an eye sore and I'm concerned about hitting things with the extended bumpers. Also I've read alot about how load they are and getting trucks removed because of them. I've also considered mounting 2 Honda 2000's inside the truck but I'm concerned about how to refuel them and what happens if I run out of fuel in the middle of service, as opposed to an inverter which theoretically is endless.

So as you can see from that ramble, I'm very confused. Any and all help is graciously accepted. 

PerknUp Coffee

5 Replies Related Threads

BackAlleyBurger
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Mobile coffee truck, confused on powering 2011/10/27 20:40:57 (permalink)
    ok, first off...... get rid of the bosh water heater and go with an instant on propane unit...... you will never keep the truck running at idle trying to power 8k watts off the stock alternator, at the very least you will need to add probably a 160-200 amp secondary alternator to power that within reason, and i would right off the top of my head say your going to need 2 8d batteries at minimum to keep that much power running at idle.....also your fast idle circuit will need to be modified to run when you power this monster system up...

ok, i just re-read your post, with a 5k or 2 3k inverters, you wont need to go to the extreme i said, but still at minimum a 120 amp or so alt, and a triple 27 series battery bank, and they may still not be enough...... if you provide the total watts of everything i can do some figuring for ya and tell you better what you will actually need....

why so many water pumps ??...... one good 4 gpm 50psi pump should be sufficient....

i agree about bumper mounts, when mounting in the truck and worried about refueling, just make sure you have gennys that have fuel pumps and then plumb them into the vehicles gas tank (t fitting off gas line) or better yet, do like i did and plumb through the fuel pick up but only run the pick up tube for the genny down to the 1/4 tank level, this way you will never suck the tank dry and leave yourself stranded....

lets see...what else...oohh yea, at fairs you can hopefully tap into "event power" so a good ship to shore cord will come in handy, a 50 amp cord for the rare occasions you can use it, and a collection of pig tails to run 2 30's into your 50 cord, and back out of it..... split the breaker box up into 2 different "halves" and put redundant equipment on separate sides, this way you always have a "30 amp" side to run off of in case a single 30 is all you can tap into (this will require running "twin" outlets to every location so equipment can be plugged into the "other side" if needed......

im rambling on and hopefully didnt confuse you, lol, it was a long looooong day and i think im still high from the paint fumes
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10332
    Re:Mobile coffee truck, confused on powering 2011/10/27 21:14:52 (permalink)
    In some areas they do not allow generators inside the vehicle. Fumes & fire hazard, etc.
    Better check if it's permissable in your area.
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:Mobile coffee truck, confused on powering 2011/10/27 21:29:58 (permalink)
    well, its not like you just set it over in the corner.....
    you would have to build a suitable enclosure that was sealed from interior and well insulated for noise and heat, against an outside wall so you can install an access panel for maintenance and repairs from the outside, venting for fresh intake air, and exhaust plumbed through the floor and either tied into the trucks exhaust or its own secondary exhaust system fabbed up
    post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2011/10/27 21:31:15
    SR-71
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    Re:Mobile coffee truck, confused on powering 2011/10/27 22:57:03 (permalink)
    BackAlleyBurger
    you would have to build a suitable enclosure that was sealed from interior and well insulated for noise and heat, against an outside wall so you can install an access panel for maintenance and repairs from the outside, venting for fresh intake air, and exhaust plumbed through the floor and either tied into the trucks exhaust or its own secondary exhaust system fabbed up

I plan on doing this. And whatever generator I get will run on propane, either manufactured that way or converted.
    lornaschinske
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Mobile coffee truck, confused on powering 2011/10/28 14:25:15 (permalink)
    RE: Water Pumps... get a Shurflo 2088 classic. I have had several of these (very dependable and you can rebuild them). Currently running a circa 1980's and a 1990's pump in our RV (we live in it full-time) and the food cart.It's plenty of water pressure. You will need to make sure you have at least 40PSI water for a tankless water heater. Ours is running a Eccotemp L5 nicely. We will run an Eccotemp L12 and a Shurflo 2088 Classic in our bus conversion. It will provide water for  the kitchen sink, shower, dishwasher and washing machine. they come in various PSI to watch it. 40 to 45 psi is considered "household" water pressure.

RE: Refueling generator. You can buy an electric (12vDC) low flow fuel pump to pump from a auxillary ABS fuel tank to extend your run. We will have to do this due to where we will install the generator (when we buy it) on our bus. You should either build or buy a Genturi to hook to your generator to send the exhaust fumes up overhead. Lots of info in the 'net about building generator enclosures. Many RVer's do that. Lost 4 RVer's  recently due to a neighboring RVers generator fumes at a rally where everyone was boondocking in a field. A genturi (either DIY or bought) would have prevented that.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1