Helpful ReplyMobile kitchen build info

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Author
THE WILD DOG
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1465
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/26 18:16:28 (permalink)
Got the water heater installed today, Haven't fired it up yet, but the hand wash sink rests on the case of the water heater. I don't see it to be an issue, but I will find out when I fire it up.

Anyone have any thoughts on any possible issues ?

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/26 22:20:51 (permalink)
Yes if the vent is as it looks going directly onto the PVC I'd be concerned that it will deform or melt the line.

But I'd try it and if it happens shield the PVC. Don't bother until it becomes a problem

THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/26 23:00:35 (permalink)
i was thinking the same thing Dr. it's just some rinky dinky plastic piece up there... I was thinking of going with a metal pipe for the part right by the drain pipe.

I don't know how much heat is going to be pumping out of there until I hook it up.    Hopefully I kick this sinus thing once and for all & I will be able to test it. Hard to see when you eyes are watering constantly from all the coughing and sneezing going on.

but other than that, i like the way it all came together. a little more room left over on the floor than I thought.  Stil having problems finding a large U-bracket to go over that drain base. You should see the looks on the ppl @ Lowes when I show them what I need to bolt down. LOL
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/27 00:19:47 (permalink)
"Stil having problems finding a large U-bracket to go over that drain base."

Try a muffler shop and ask for a hanger bracket. You only need half of the bracket but you'll pay for the entire bracket. You may have to draw them a picture to show them what your trying to do.

Look at this "U" bolt will that work?
http://www.boltdepot.com/u-bolts.aspx?wt.srch=1
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/03/27 00:25:44
THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/27 01:41:53 (permalink)
oh yeah, still having issues.  Not a bad call on the U bracket. Worst case I bolt it down from underneath...  That's exactly what I'm looking for, now I have to get one in my width. That thing is a beast... but it goes well with my leetle switch I installed for the water pump. That thing is microscopic.

Thanks DR !!!
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/27 07:32:50 (permalink)
THE WILD DOG

i was thinking the same thing Dr. it's just some rinky dinky plastic piece up there... I was thinking of going with a metal pipe for the part right by the drain pipe.

I don't know how much heat is going to be pumping out of there until I hook it up.    Hopefully I kick this sinus thing once and for all & I will be able to test it.  You should see the looks on the ppl @ Lowes when I show them what I need to bolt down. LOL

LOL the guys at Lowe's know Paranoia is a skill that leads to longevity. LMAO

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/27 07:43:44 (permalink)
THE WILD DOG

on the U bracket. Worst case I bolt it down from underneath...  That's exactly what I'm looking for, now I have to get one in my width. That thing is a beast..Thanks DR !!!

They make those in a lot of different sizes, even for 6 inch pipes. But on hooking it up from the bottom, remember sooner or later your going to have to take it apart for some fix or maintenance. So try to make everything as simple, clean, and assessable as  you can. Chances are you'll end up having to repair something 20 minutes before your supposed to start serving food at the biggest event you have done and your well dressed (part of the gig) and you don't want to look like a grease monkey all day in front of hundreds of customers.
THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/27 20:09:22 (permalink)
well got the water lines all set in, I will say this though, If I ever need to take the heater off, I'm going to have to cut the pipes and then couple them back together.

I attempted to fire it up today with minimal day light left. I can't hear if it's running over the sound of the water pump though. The water temp stayed the same and the little light didn't come on even with fresh batteries.

i will have to put the water temp knob up to it's highest setting and look for steam tomorrow. I'm hoping all goes well.  Anyone have any experience with these tankless jobs ?  Mine is an L5 Eccotemp.
KonaErnie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 356
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/27 20:30:53 (permalink)
Wild Dog....Did you purge the gas line. Try cycling it a few time to get rid of any air still in the piping. Also check your water pressure. According to their manual the unit requires a minimum of about 1 liter per minute and a minimum of about 30 PSI* Note, water pressure is at the lower end of operating parameters. You will need a sustained water pressure of approximately 40-60 PSI for adequate use. Good luck.
THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/28 03:06:27 (permalink)
how do I check water pressure ?  My basic set up is 16gallon tank filled being pushed thru the tubes by water pump. I only did it once or twice. I didn't hook up to the pipes, I hooked directly from propane tank to water heater with supplied hose.  I didn't realize the heat was all the way on low either.

Its supposed to give clicks but i can only hear out of one ear right now from sinus infection. lol  I'm also being told that the propane tank i'm using is about 2 years old. I might swap it out as well with a freshie.

I'm gonna be annoyed if it doesn't work b/c all my lines are glued in place now. I will cycle it more tomorrow.
lornaschinske
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/28 10:07:18 (permalink)
THE WILD DOG How do I check water pressure ? 

Water pressure test gauge
THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/28 19:55:30 (permalink)
I cant find the link to the complete water fill kit that was on ebay. Someone posted it on here and now I can't find it... Grrrrr  lol     
THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/29 03:07:49 (permalink)
So I tested the plumbing yesterday & felt like a fool. I forgot to tape everything with threads... including the water heater which is already glued in place. Luckily I got the lines separated and was able to tape them and the rest of the threads.

Ran it cold today to test again after everything had set and everything looks good. Now all I gotta do it figure out the water heater and we're all set, I close it up and move on to the rest.

On my water tank, the only opening I have is the water line to the water pump, everything else is sealed. I'm wondering if I open one  of the top 3/8 holes for the air vent if that will give me some more pressure. I'm hoping it won't be a problem, I am going to fill the tank all the way up tomorrow and re test it. I only filled it just about a 2 inches over the pump line.  I'm not sure why i do that stuff... lol
AZdog
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 202
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/29 07:05:21 (permalink)
Just remember that your tankless heater is only going to give you a max of +45 degree raise in your water temperature.

I tried a stiebel eltron (I think I  put a picture of it up in one of your threads) one, but I had about 60 degree water in my holding tank, and the heater could only get it up to about 100-105 which didn't meet my HD requirement of 115 degree +.. Which means if you live in a cold part of the country, and I think MD is pretty cold, your ambient water temp is going to be pretty low; so expect only mildly warm water.

I ended up getting a 6 gallon tank water heater and that thing works like a champ.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/29 08:51:30 (permalink)
AZDog in minus 2 degree weather this winter and my water coming from a holding tank outside my trailer (with the tank water temp at just above freezing, my instant hot water tank heater, heats my water to the point it'll steam when we fill a sink. But the setting on the tank needs to be at Max Heat, and the water setting at low volume.

WildDog is there a chance your vapor locked, and or are you letting your instant hot water heater run for awhile? You should hear a click as the igniter fires and a whoosh as the gas lights.

Recheck everything.......... is your gas on (at the tank valve), purge your gas line, by having someone open it with it unhooked from the heater for a split second. But don't do this and fill your trailer with propane, just make sure you don't have some sort of restriction in your gas line, so have someone outside at your tank and you inside at the connection, tell them to turn it on just a little at a time and as soon as you hear, smell or feel gas yell to turn it off. It's not as dangerous as it sounds if you have a helper.

Finally you may have a defective unit, so you may have to call the seller or manufacturer.

Your unit won't fire without water running to it that's why the unit needs a certain amount of water pressure to operate. Is your pump putting out enough pressure to cause your heater to kick on?

You mentioned you can't hear anything over the pump noise so I assume your not using a water pressure holding tank right, just an electrical switch to cause the pump to run and turning the switch off to stop the pumping process? If so you need to check the preasure on the line coming out of your water pump. You can get a gauge as Lorna suggested or just fill a bucket and time it. You know a 3 gal container should fill in the number of minutes the pump manufacturer states on the pump.

And my only other thought is are your batteries in right? Not upside down? 
AZdog
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/29 14:34:28 (permalink)
Dr.  unfortunately my HD requires a water flow of no less than 2gpm - so using the .05 aerator to reduce the flow is not an option that I can use.

I have to be able to fill all 3 sinks 2/3 of the way full with 110 degree water - and at 11 gallons (2.3rd total) that would take over 20 minutes to fill them, which is obviously not too practical.

But hey, if your HD doesn't have these type of stipulations - then it's a suitable option.
post edited by AZdog - 2010/03/29 14:38:17
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/29 17:44:20 (permalink)
AZdog Dr.  unfortunately my HD requires a water flow of no less than 2gpm - so using the .05 aerator to reduce the flow is not an option that I can use.

I have to be able to fill all 3 sinks 2/3 of the way full with 110 degree water - and at 11 gallons (2.3rd total) that would take over 20 minutes to fill them, which is obviously not too practical.

But hey, if your HD doesn't have these type of stipulations - then it's a suitable option.

I have no clue as to what the above means? But when I wrote "in minus 2 degree weather this winter and my water coming from a holding tank outside my trailer (with the tank water temp at just above freezing, my instant hot water tank heater, heats my water to the point it'll steam when we fill a sink. But the setting on the tank-less heater needs to be at Max Heat, and the water setting at low volume" that is not going to reduce your hot water flow to under two gallons per minute and I never mentioned an aerator? I'm lost here, but it doesn't matter you have a regular water heater now.

THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/29 21:06:24 (permalink)
Just a shelf I installed yesterday,

3rd & final counter top I installed today. scratched the right sidewall a bit, but I can touch it up or cover it up. lol

Working on a shelving piece on the right side of the 2nd picture. You can see it a lil.   while waiting for the rain to stop so I can work on the heater. I turned on the water today to wet something & heard the clicking noise, Def didn't hear that before, So I will hook up a fresh bottle to it this week and go from there with it.
Tnmedic
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 161
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/29 22:53:50 (permalink)
I have the exact same water heater on my cart. It works great and will heat the water up very hot and quick. I have never had any trouble out of mine. It didn't seem like it took very long to purge the system but my tank is right next to it. When it lights you will know it and there is some heat that comes out of the top. I'm not sure if it would do anything to the pipe or not. I would think that you could just wrap it with the reflective insulation type material and it would be enough to shield it. I have something similar between my steam table and cooler with no problems. It holds ice all day with very little melting.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/30 01:11:55 (permalink)
Well Wild Dog it looks great good job.
Tankless
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/30 14:38:50 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

If you stop the video on the right hand side of this page

at 29 sec you can see the basic pipes including gas line. They are using a double line out but it's normally just a one line in and one line out standard hook up. I used stainless steel hose water lines in and out and black iron on my gas line. The water lines threads are standard water hose type. It's a walk in the park.

This is not my system and even though I'm not a plumber I could do a better job than this guy did. LOL

I think the way to plumb anything is to make it as simple as possible. And figure sooner or later your going to have to replace some part so make it easy to get to all of it.

The chances that you are going to have to work on it increase because your pulling a trailer or driving a truck and most plumbers work on stationary homes or offices, and they don't have the vibration that your system is going through.

SO SO SO Use stainless steel hose and run from your preasure tank to the inlet side of your tankless water heater and from the pressure tank to the cold water side of your faucets.

Run stainless steel hose from the outlet on your tankless unit to all your hot water faucets, and make this run AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE, so you don't lose a bunch of heat in the process.

Run your gas in and exhaust out.

The picture above is the property of West Coast Plumbing & Sewer. It is Copyrighted. Please delete this picture because you posted it without our permission or it will become a legal matter.

Thank you
West Coast Plumbing and Sewer
THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/30 15:41:11 (permalink)
Tankless

Dr of BBQ

If you stop the video on the right hand side of this page

at 29 sec you can see the basic pipes including gas line. They are using a double line out but it's normally just a one line in and one line out standard hook up. I used stainless steel hose water lines in and out and black iron on my gas line. The water lines threads are standard water hose type. It's a walk in the park.

This is not my system and even though I'm not a plumber I could do a better job than this guy did. LOL

I think the way to plumb anything is to make it as simple as possible. And figure sooner or later your going to have to replace some part so make it easy to get to all of it.

The chances that you are going to have to work on it increase because your pulling a trailer or driving a truck and most plumbers work on stationary homes or offices, and they don't have the vibration that your system is going through.

SO SO SO Use stainless steel hose and run from your preasure tank to the inlet side of your tankless water heater and from the pressure tank to the cold water side of your faucets.

Run stainless steel hose from the outlet on your tankless unit to all your hot water faucets, and make this run AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE, so you don't lose a bunch of heat in the process.

Run your gas in and exhaust out.

The picture above is the property of West Coast Plumbing & Sewer. It is Copyrighted. Please delete this picture because you posted it without our permission or it will become a legal matter.

Thank you
West Coast Plumbing and Sewer

I wouldn't be too proud of a plumbing job like this WCP&S

FYI: all pictures listed on this website are for educational purposes, no one is claiming fame to your plumbing job. so relax. If you took a moment to actually read the post, maybe you would have understood that.

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/30 15:58:22 (permalink)
Your right and no one stole or used a picture it was a link, to a web video from Utube.
AZdog
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/31 04:34:11 (permalink)
Wild - looking forward to reading how the heater turned out for you and if you're able to get your water temp >110?  Your trailer is coming along very nicely and is impressive.  That whole sink thing would of drove me up the wall - looks like an octopus, lol.  Grats.

I got my car stereo/mp3 player finally hooked-up and ready to go.  Bought some enclosed 4" box speakers for it - there's no bass but having some music in there is pretty nice. Definitely recommend it for your 12v set-up.

post edited by AZdog - 2010/03/31 04:41:13
THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/31 17:55:47 (permalink)
finished up the right had server side today, installed a door next to the shelving unit I built to keep the rolls from flying all over the place. Behind the door I plan on putting one marine battery, and my radio & LED wiring. I can't wait to clean it up and see what the clean finished project looks like. I will supply more pics later for sure.  Thank you to all who have helped me get this far... It is beyond appreciated!!!

THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/31 17:59:14 (permalink)
AZdog

Wild - looking forward to reading how the heater turned out for you and if you're able to get your water temp >110?  Your trailer is coming along very nicely and is impressive.  That whole sink thing would of drove me up the wall - looks like an octopus, lol.  Grats.

I got my car stereo/mp3 player finally hooked-up and ready to go.  Bought some enclosed 4" box speakers for it - there's no bass but having some music in there is pretty nice. Definitely recommend it for your 12v set-up.

I was thinking of putting some all weather speakers on the outside and some on the inside as well so that we can all rock out, and loop a cd with some commercials in it too...

Do you have any pics of your stereo set up I can look at ?  I'm also doing some street glow for the underneath as well. Since my trailer is black, I'm thinking of going with a purple LED or blue.
THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/03/31 19:41:24 (permalink)
here are some more pics of the finished product. I have to put the shelves in and the finish the gas lines, but the build is completed.  OMG i'm wiped out today.

THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/04/01 13:14:26 (permalink)
possible plumbing issue ...

Ok, I'm using 1/2 cpvc pipe to run everything from my water tank, pump, heater, to sinks. Should I have used 3/4 pipe instead ?  I'm getting water, but it's not coming out fast, it's coming out but when I turn the hot water on, the heater kicks in and the water slows down, then kicks in real good for a minute then it dries up and sputters and then it runs cold.

Could this be due to the 1/2 pipe ? The temps are there for a quick minute then it sputters out.   HELP HELP HELP     
KonaErnie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 356
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/04/01 13:25:10 (permalink)
WD...Sounds like your pump isn't putting out enough pressure. Check the inlet pressure to the water heater. You may need to go with a different pump.
THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/04/01 13:28:31 (permalink)
my pump is a 3.7 GPM shur flo waterwolf. I don't think it's the pump.  I got alot of bends in my pipes, I'm trying to figure out how to eliminate one main bend that goes from my tank down to the floor to the pump. my fresh water tank sits on top of my waste tank. I might have to pull apart my base and widen it by 2 inches to put them side by side.  I'm hoping that's not the case, but I'm gonna wait and see what reply's and advice I get.
post edited by THE WILD DOG - 2010/04/01 13:36:28
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1