Helpful ReplyMobile kitchen build info

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 17
Author
THE WILD DOG
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1465
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/11 11:15:35 (permalink)
I'm using all propane. so UL would be out. The steam equipment will be present, it's just going to be counter sunk.  it's all NSF.
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 421
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/11 13:43:29 (permalink)
THE WILD DOG

I'm actually looking for a few things, maybe ya'll can help me with links. One would be a propane tank holder for the tonge of my trailer, or metal box to store and lock it ( preferably), a metal plate to cover the trailer tonge. & this is probably the key component, i am installing my steam table to be level with the counter top & looking to put the adjustment knob on the base cabinet and would need to sink the knob, Anyone know where I can get a plate like that ? I started a thread about it back a ways but got no response on it. I also plan to flush my warm condiments as well into the counter tops and will be needing to purchase a metal box that i can insulate and install a burner under to heat water.  
ANY TAKERS ?

The plate is nothing more than diamond plate cut to the shape of the tongue OR cut in a square to give you more storage. Bolted to the tongue or bolted and welded depending on what metal is used. Tongue covers are nothing special that I have seen, they look nice and serve a great purpose though. Zoom in on a trailer pic with a trailer tongue shelf you will see what I mean.
THE WILD DOG
I'm using all propane. so UL would be out. The steam equipment will be present, it's just going to be counter sunk.  it's all NSF.

Plenty of UL propane stuff out there Wild..

chefbuba
Why not install saddle tanks?  Thats how all propane tanks are mounted on catering trucks..

Gonna search what they are now. Never heard of them. Thanks for the info.

Dr of BBQ
This was funny:
She already saw me hooking a fryer up to the dryer plug to test so why not lol.
Very funny.

Jack
One other thought if you can............... set up your electric system so that when it's available you can run off of a shore plug.

I planned to have that in addition to the generator power so that when it is available I can use the shore rather than the gen. You know what? I might actually be able to get pole power at one location... With pole power does it have to be 100% of the time? As in can I pull up, attach for the day and unhook and leave? Or do I have to be there fixed all the time?

post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/02/11 14:00:33
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/11 14:27:57 (permalink)
To both of you builders:The Wild Dog and That's My Dog,

First it’s great fun from this end to watch you guys work your tails off in order to fulfill your dreams, and I also enjoy helping when I can.

But I’m curious about a couple of things: why would one of you go almost all electric, and the other go almost all propane? I’d think the answer is mobility and I understand that, except it’s so much easier to do a little propane, and some electric. Don’t put all your eggs in one basket and be versatile in your location and menus.

I’m not trying to tell you what to do but just passing on some thoughts and ideas that you may or may not want to consider.

It took me 2 years to build my current trailer for several reasons, a lack of  money, equipment that wasn’t  available because of the lack of money, and then I had to redo some things that I did wrong the first time after I bought the wrong equipment, because I lacked the money to buy the right equipment. LMAO all true.

But I now have bought one piece of equipment at a time for my step van build and have 95% of everything I need, and some things I don’t need.

My step van plans are at this time to work this location, do events and possible some of the downtown late night bars from time to time. But the late night bar scene may require a generator which I have but I will most likely depend on it for only those jobs.

I have purchased 4 of these,used:  for my counter top. All are electric single bay drop in units and will hold a full size steam table pan 20.5" L x 12.75" W x 6" Deep holds 20 quarts. The item pictured is a double unit. but when one goes bad your in trouble.

I also bought one of these, its used:  and I already have 2 or 3 hand sinks in my garage.

But I wanted a bigger sink so I bought one of these new and until November of 2009 it could double as a hand sink in my county. They have since changed the rule but I will appeal that.

I also bought one of these, used  just because it was a steal

So depending on room available I'll use the bar sink or the full size kitchen sink.

I have been open for 3 years now and being sick this week has been the first time off I have had in those 3 years. I have always had access to power and propane, at my current location and at events.

My step van has a 100 gal propane tank underneath the frame, and a built in furnace but I have never run the furnace. The box is 18 feet long from the double back doors to the back edge of the engine compartment. I still have to buy a fresh water tank and a grey water tank, but I think this time I'll use aluminum tanks and have them made locally. I also need to have my SS counter tops built and I'm sure they will be expensive.

I would and it's just my opinion, stay away from 12 volt anything and never go all electric.

Maybe give some thought to getting your doors open and do a few events to get some cash rolling in so you can then upgrade to the equipment you'd like to start with?

Just some thoughts

Jack

PS I feel a lot better today but what with the snow and all I'm not going back to work until Tuesday. LOL

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/11 14:36:56 (permalink)
That'sMyDawg

I planned to have that in addition to the generator power so that when it is available I can use the shore rather than the gen. You know what? I might actually be able to get pole power at one location... With pole power does it have to be 100% of the time? As in can I pull up, attach for the day and unhook and leave? Or do I have to be there fixed all the time?

You just need to run your electric down the pole to a power box with breakers and a female plug the you can plug into. If I leave the house today I'll go by and take a picture of my set up and post it for you. In the mean time I'm taking a nap. Geez getting lazy after a few days off. LMAO

Jack

That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/11 17:53:59 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

Side note: Any tips on how to clean old grease and grim?
there is a purple liquid at Sam's Club that works pretty well. I have tried everything and it is the best for real grime and grease in a restaurant.

Jack

Would this happen to be the stuff you are talking about?? Would you believe that some showed up free in the mail from Sams!!!

You just need to run your electric down the pole to a power box with breakers and a female plug the you can plug into. If I leave the house today I'll go by and take a picture of my set up and post it for you. In the mean time I'm taking a nap. Geez getting lazy after a few days off. LMAO

Jack

Ok, get some rest, I will look for your pic when ever you get time, no rush...

post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/02/11 17:55:37
THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/11 19:17:09 (permalink)
The reason that I am going 90/10 on the propane is b/c where I will be setting up and the locations I have scouted in general do NOT in anyway provide any power. They are industrial parks.

2. I don't have a shore line. :-)

3. I lack the funds to get everything until I get up and running. I figured I can fake it till I make it.

4. The only major thing that I am running on 12v is going to be my fridge. I have (2) 205 ah deep cycle marine ( golf cart ) batteries running the fridge and a few other very low voltage items. I am also inquiring about solar panel chargers as well, just to keep juice flowing ( but don't know enough on it yet to make a decision )

5. My grill & steam tables along with my water heater are the only things running propane. I'm being creative and using an old steam unit and sinking it into the counter to keep my cold stuff cold by filling with an ice/water mix with a drain tube to my waste unit.

6. If I had any access to electric at night or day i would be half tempted to use. I was gunning for one spot that used to have a very popular snow ball stand there and already had power ran down the pole but they refused to let anyone use the space since they just upgraded the entire shopping center, I even offered to model a 15' shed after the shopping center.

7. My plans are to use the trailer for awhile, I know I already have to upgrade to a bigger one. I plan on getting a cart or two as time goes on, possibly a small store front, Like a Rita's down the road. That's my ultimate goal is to own a deli/sub shop. I had an opportunity to buy one for 15k down and pay over 8 years monthly but didn't pull the trigger.

Thanks for reading my lil book :-)
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/12 19:08:36 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
That'sMyDawg

Dr of BBQ

there is a purple liquid at Sam's Club that works pretty well. I have tried everything and it is the best for real grime and grease in a restaurant.

Jack

Would this happen to be the stuff you are talking about?? Would you believe that some showed up free in the mail from Sams!!!

LMAO Well aren't you the lucky Dawg, that's the product. We use it on my stainless steel walls 50-50 with hot water. Then after they dry we spray the wall down with a good glass cleaner and polish it. Works very well.

You just need to run your electric down the pole to a power box with breakers and a female plug the you can plug into. This is not from the stand I'm still under the weather but slightly less than earlier this week. I found this after a 20 minute search online.

Every city has a differant set of rules than the next but here is the basic "Temp Power Pole" The line runs from the main utility pole down to near the top of this pole and then down to a meter base. Then down below that to a box of your choice which can include a set of breakers and plugs of 110 or 220.  If you know an electrical contractor or have a friend that is an electrician the job gets much easier. If your still not familur with a temp power pole just go anywhere new homes are being built they will each have a Temp Power Pole at some time to power the house. You could plug in your trailer-truck and open your doors in a heartbeat.

The wires at the top of this photo would go to the telephone (City Power Pole)  and below the meter would be a set of breakers. Where the flexable wire cover comes out is most likely a 110 out let. The other 110 outlet could be set up as a 60 amp 220 circuit that you'd need for a trailer or truck location. If you have a friend that works for the city power company or an electrical contractor get him to go shopping at Lowes with you. That way you'll get everything you need in one trip.  Set up the box and the pole before you set it in cement and then have your local power company come hook you up.

I think I spent about $225.00 including the meter base, both boxes, concrete, the 16 foot 6X6 inch pole and wire.

Jack

That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/13 09:39:04 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

Jack

LMAO Well aren't you the lucky Dawg, that's the product. We use it on my stainless steel walls 50-50 with hot water. Then after they dry we spray the wall down with a good glass cleaner and polish it. Works very well.

You just need to run your electric down the pole to a power box with breakers and a female plug the you can plug into. This is not from the stand I'm still under the weather but slightly less than earlier this week. I found this after a 20 minute search online.

Every city has a differant set of rules than the next but here is the basic "Temp Power Pole" The line runs from the main utility pole down to near the top of this pole and then down to a meter base. Then down below that to a box of your choice which can include a set of breakers and plugs of 110 or 220.  If you know an electrical contractor or have a friend that is an electrician the job gets much easier. If your still not familur with a temp power pole just go anywhere new homes are being built they will each have a Temp Power Pole at some time to power the house. You could plug in your trailer-truck and open your doors in a heartbeat.

The wires at the top of this photo would go to the telephone (City Power Pole)  and below the meter would be a set of breakers. Where the flexable wire cover comes out is most likely a 110 out let. The other 110 outlet could be set up as a 60 amp 220 circuit that you'd need for a trailer or truck location. If you have a friend that works for the city power company or an electrical contractor get him to go shopping at Lowes with you. That way you'll get everything you need in one trip.  Set up the box and the pole before you set it in cement and then have your local power company come hook you up.

I think I spent about $225.00 including the meter base, both boxes, concrete, the 16 foot 6X6 inch pole and wire.
Jack

I almost died when I checked the mail and saw the free sample package from Sams, I could not believe it would be the same stuff you were talking about but sure enough lol! Let me tell you, if I could do a commercial for that product I WOULD! It worked so well that I bought a gal jug of it after trying the sample out. See the results below. Now I know you can't fully appreciate how well this fryer cleaned up because I didn't think to take before pics but TRUST ME PLEASE there was so much caked on oil,grease,burnt crap, etc that it hardly looks like the same unit! The pictures don't do it justice believe me!

As for your electric info that is really cool! I actually have a place I could do that given the powers that be allow it but it is do able. Problem I see is that it would solve a lot of problems for me but as is I would still have a power short coming when I'm away from that pole. If I get some Lp items then I will be ok but I am talking about with what I have now. May be an easy fix because I am selling the electric items. I will do a mix as suggested and then I should be able to handle some power with a gen and the rest with lp. Will possible use pole and run everything when at the main location. Lastly on this, what prevents someone from hooking up to pole when your not there and sapping your juice?

Any feedback on this gen? Bigger than mine but probably need even bigger. Gotta learn that formula to calculate what I need. Much harder to do when you don't have readable tag info on some of your items.

post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/03/06 09:38:37
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/13 10:17:15 (permalink)
Yes ProForce is very good product and your fryer looks like a brand new unit. Your HD will love you if you can keep all your equipment looking like that.

You touched on a couple of things:
Lastly on this, what prevents someone from hooking up to pole when your not there and sapping your juice?

The box that you plug into will have a hasp on it so you can lock it.

On your generator idea a lot of events won't allow generators even though some are pretty quiet. There has been several threads that discuss generators here on RF do a search it seems the newer Honda's got good reviews, for performance and noise.

I think down the road your going to find electric hook ups are much more common that you realize. What are you planing for your unit? Where are you wanting to set it up? Are you trying to do an every day gig at one location, or moving every day to a new site? If your planing events they have both 220 and 110 hooks.

Answer those questions and lets see if Russ, Porkchop, Connie, and some of the others may chime in to offer a thought or two.

Jack
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/13 10:47:19 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

Yes ProForce is very good product and your fryer looks like a brand new unit. Your HD will love you if you can keep all your equipment looking like that.
You touched on a couple of things:
Lastly on this, what prevents someone from hooking up to pole when your not there and sapping your juice?
The box that you plug into will have a hasp on it so you can lock it.
On your generator idea a lot of events won't allow generators even though some are pretty quiet. There has been several threads that discuss generators here on RF do a search it seems the newer Honda's got good reviews, for performance and noise.
I think down the road your going to find electric hook ups are much more common that you realize. What are you planing for your unit? Where are you wanting to set it up? Are you trying to do an every day gig at one location, or moving every day to a new site? If your planing events they have both 220 and 110 hooks.

Answer those questions and lets see if Russ, Porkchop, Connie, and some of the others may chime in to offer a thought or two.

Jack

. Not doing events, never wanted to, never planned to. Have read many threads on generators and getting in to events, know the routine. Not an issue for me but have not seen many threads on powerful gens, most focus on noise. Looking for power along with the low noise level and being reliable in the gen.
. Planning for my unit- To be a mobile fast food joint but with good food. Hot dowg carts menu plus fries, burgers, steak n cheese, chicken fingers along with a soup or two. Breakfast items in the am.
. Moving to new sites during the week but at main location most of the week. 
. Eventually as customer support demands it I will be same location, every day gig.

post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/02/13 10:50:33
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/13 11:17:41 (permalink)
Maybe a couple of dumb questions but how cold is it in Maryland during the winter?

If the weather is brutal during the winter can you do a drive thru like I do?In Springfield on a warm winter day I'd do $0.00 business if I weren't a drive thru.

Is it possible to put a power pole up in advance at 3 or 4 different sites so you can pull up and power up? But I guess if your doing a new location you'd never know if it was worth the effort and expense. Maybe rent a generator until you decide on a power pole? Just thinking out loud here. lol

I have considered doing something similar going to state office buildings one day per week on a regular schedule and we have two major hospitals that I could also do.

But I tried a state office building once and the vendor that had the contract inside the state office building called the HD, city police, and county police. When that didn't work becuase I was legal, finally conspired with some upper level management people that convinced most employees that they would be in deep do do if seen eating at my stand. And I had paid a bunch for a power pole to be put up, since it was State of Illinois Property I had to hire all union people to do it vs doing it myself.

Why not do some events? Gosh the money is excellent and it's such a rush what with people standing in line all day buying your food. And events let people taste your food that have never stopped before and some become new regular customers.

Just some thoughts.

Good Luck
Jack

That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/14 09:16:21 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

Maybe a couple of dumb questions but how cold is it in Maryland during the winter?

If the weather is brutal during the winter can you do a drive thru like I do?In Springfield on a warm winter day I'd do $0.00 business if I weren't a drive thru.

Is it possible to put a power pole up in advance at 3 or 4 different sites so you can pull up and power up? But I guess if your doing a new location you'd never know if it was worth the effort and expense. Maybe rent a generator until you decide on a power pole? Just thinking out loud here. lol

I have considered doing something similar going to state office buildings one day per week on a regular schedule and we have two major hospitals that I could also do.

But I tried a state office building once and the vendor that had the contract inside the state office building called the HD, city police, and county police. When that didn't work becuase I was legal, finally conspired with some upper level management people that convinced most employees that they would be in deep do do if seen eating at my stand. And I had paid a bunch for a power pole to be put up, since it was State of Illinois Property I had to hire all union people to do it vs doing it myself.

Why not do some events? Gosh the money is excellent and it's such a rush what with people standing in line all day buying your food. And events let people taste your food that have never stopped before and some become new regular customers.

Just some thoughts.

Good Luck
Jack

Most winters it is in the high 30's low 40's. Only get real snow every 5 to 10 years. (plow able/major accumulation, etc) Last one was in 2003. This current snowfall record 30" broke that record.

Drive through may be possible but I may set a little high to have cars be able to reach up. Still in the building portion now so still possible to make a different door location/position. It is do-able.

Yes is is possible to do a power pole in advance at more than one location for the pull up and power up. I would need a long term lease because I would not want to spend that money and next year they say they don't want me back. I would not do that at new locations but I could do that at established locations. I am planning on purchasing my own large generator but depending on cost and availability on renting big ones I may be able to do that. I found a 15,000 watts gen but gotta see if that's big enough for what I want. Once I am up and running I can unplug things and cycle what I use at the same time but initially the HD wants my generator to be able to power everything simultaneously so that's why I gotta find a few propane things unless I can find a big enough gen to handle everything at once at least while the inspection is going on. Was hoping the 15k gen was big enough because I have not seen any bigger yet  that were portable. Portable per HD. Still looking and working on it.

Sorry, by events I meant fairs. I will do local events and they allow gens. I don't like the fairs and their rules and such. Events I will do just not fairs.

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/14 11:26:01 (permalink)
By 15,000 watts you mean 15 KW if so that's a big generator. Heck that would almost run a house. I'd think if your splitting up some of your equipment as in some propane some electric that would do the job. Are you going to trailer it or build it on board? In fact how big (dimensions) is it?
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/14 11:46:36 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

By 15,000 watts you mean 15 KW if so that's a big generator. Heck that would almost run a house. I'd think if your splitting up some of your equipment as in some propane some electric that would do the job. Are you going to trailer it or build it on board? In fact how big (dimensions) is it?

38.5" H x 30.75" W x 48.5" D  
IT said watts, I did not see KW but I could be wrong. Here is the link to it. Maybe this gen will work or something similar?   I would just rather go with a bigger one and be covered then have a smaller one and need more.

I would either put it on a cheap small trailer ($200 bucks here)or If I can figure it out on paper I could keep my wheel chair lift that I have in the truck and use that to load it on and off. I was taking that lift out to have more room for my kitchen but I "may" be able to draw it out on paper and figure out a way to keep the lift in the truck. This would help with the lifting and off loading if I just want to tie the gen inside while moving about on the road. Plenty of room to do that. Just a push of a button and its loaded on and off if I keep the lift. Problem is the lift takes up some space in my truck. I would also have to make some sort of cover for the lift as it would be right where I would be working and I know the HD would have something to say about it. I would probably have to sand blast it and paint it to make it look nice or something. I don't think I would go through all that so I probably would stick to my original plan and get a cheap 2' trailer to tow the gen behind me.

That's the great thing about the planning stage, anything can be changed around.

Well guys, going to Denny's for lunch And breakfast (some want lunch/some want breakfast) will check in later....
post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/02/14 21:40:30
knifeguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/18 07:18:49 (permalink)
Chef Bubba;
Where did you get you windows? Are they "concession " windows?
Rich
chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 2052
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/18 11:38:54 (permalink)
Dont' know, I did not build it. But most likley they were ordered at Home Depot or another building supply. It is just a special order retrofit style window with tempered glass, which is required here, and also might be a requirement in your area too...

(the retrofit window has the "nailing flange" on the exterior of the window, which also acts as  the exterior trim of the window, and allows it to sit flush in an opening)
post edited by chefbuba - 2010/02/18 11:42:56
THE WILD DOG
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/18 12:07:08 (permalink)
That'sMyDawg

Dr of BBQ

38.5" H x 30.75" W x 48.5" D  
IT said watts, I did not see KW but I could be wrong. Here is the link to it. Maybe this gen will work or something similar?   I would just rather go with a bigger one and be covered then have a smaller one and need more.

I would either put it on a cheap small trailer ($200 bucks here)or If I can figure it out on paper I could keep my wheel chair lift that I have in the truck and use that to load it on and off. I was taking that lift out to have more room for my kitchen but I "may" be able to draw it out on paper and figure out a way to keep the lift in the truck. This would help with the lifting and off loading if I just want to tie the gen inside while moving about on the road. Plenty of room to do that. Just a push of a button and its loaded on and off if I keep the lift. Problem is the lift takes up some space in my truck. I would also have to make some sort of cover for the lift as it would be right where I would be working and I know the HD would have something to say about it. I would probably have to sand blast it and paint it to make it look nice or something. I don't think I would go through all that so I probably would stick to my original plan and get a cheap 2' trailer to tow the gen behind me.

That's the great thing about the planning stage, anything can be changed around.

Well guys, going to Denny's for lunch And breakfast (some want lunch/some want breakfast) will check in later....

HOLY HELL,  that's alot of wattage...  16gal fuel tank, My jeep is 17 & it takes about $40+ to fill it, and if you ran it for 10 hours a day, that's $40+ a day in gas alone.. WOW.

I'm also curious as to what the Db's are on it, " low muffler" or whatever it said, isn't convincing enough for me, I'd have to hear it before I bought it. Price seems kinda off too for something that big. I could be wrong on that, but I think i'm kinda right. lol

lornaschinske
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/18 13:25:46 (permalink)

I think the generator referred to was a 1.5KW (1,500) not 15KW (15,000) which would be a stationary whole house unit.
When buying a genset, you need to keep the db rating in mind. Normal conversation is about 60db. the Low noises ones tend to stay under 58db.  Quiet Diesels can push the db rating.  I'll probably get some crap from posting this but here goes...

http://www.cabelas.com/p-...-product-reviews 

Found this from RV threads on generators.  At 68db's it's on the high end of acceptable noise levels for campgrounds and boondocking dispersed camping.  Several of of the folks who actually HAVE one say it's pretty quiet and minimally louder than some of their other genset that are 58db or lower.  And the price stomps Honda's prices for their EU's
post edited by lornaschinske - 2010/02/18 13:28:19
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/18 14:13:11 (permalink)
I have a full drive up window system like fast food restaurants use here is a picture of it. I want $750.00 for it. It originally cost well over 2 K. /www.ready-access.com/bo10.asp

Or call Humphrey's and order a flat service window but be prepared for the price sticker shock.
http://buysellfind.net/siding/humphrey/concession.htm

Or for another option on service windows call Challenger Door Company in Nappanee , IN. I posted their phone number in a previous post on concession windows. Do a search here on Roadfood. Everyone else I talked to wanted $800.00 and Challenger built me a simple slider 48 X 31 two pane with no screens for $164.00 including tax.
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/18 14:14:18
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/18 20:32:58 (permalink)
lornaschinske

I think the generator referred to was a 1.5KW (1,500) not 15KW (15,000) which would be a stationary whole house unit.
When buying a genset, you need to keep the db rating in mind. Normal conversation is about 60db. the Low noises ones tend to stay under 58db.  Quiet Diesels can push the db rating.  I'll probably get some crap from posting this but here goes...

http://www.cabelas.com/p-...-product-reviews 

Found this from RV threads on generators.  At 68db's it's on the high end of acceptable noise levels for campgrounds and boondocking dispersed camping.  Several of of the folks who actually HAVE one say it's pretty quiet and minimally louder than some of their other genset that are 58db or lower.  And the price stomps Honda's prices for their EU's

Called the company and they said it was 15,000 watt. They also confirmed that they had a 17.500 watt as well. So lets just set aside any possible loudness for the time being, that aside would the size of the power from the 17,500 watt be enough for what i want to do with any room to breath or am I maxed out and making it by the skin of my teeth? Or am I not making it at all? I would really like to avoid propane and run the unit off a gen so tell me if IYO is it do-able? If you don't like this gen please post what you do like.

HD says it has to be a single portable gen running what ever. Not two tied together but one unit. (unless lp is used)

KonaErnie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 356
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/18 21:35:08 (permalink)
Dawg....The 17.5 KW generator is rated at 63 amps max. Judging from your requirements on the previous page it looks like you won't be able to get by with this genset. Besides the biggest outlet listed on the generator is 50 amps and that is the one you would be hooking into. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you really should look at a temporary power pole at your location.
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/18 21:52:56 (permalink)
KonaErnie

Dawg....The 17.5 KW generator is rated at 63 amps max. Judging from your requirements on the previous page it looks like you won't be able to get by with this genset. Besides the biggest outlet listed on the generator is 50 amps and that is the one you would be hooking into. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you really should look at a temporary power pole at your location.

Hmmmmm, ok. Well let me do some adjustments to my list because I sold a few things and swapped a few. let me re do my list and amps and see what i can come up with. Temp pole is already on the middle of my mind. (moved up from the back recently lol)

Still working on it. Thanks for the feed back.

NEXT PAGE:

Those that can please chime in with wiring do's. I WILL have it done by a pro electric /licensed BUT I want to have some info to suggest as he gives me his .02.

Sooo,

X amounts of outlets (what ever number I want)
All GFI outlets
All outlets on own circuits
50 amp breaker box??
sure line (50amp?) or does it not work like that?

What else am I missing, wording wrongly, or adding that I should not assuming I want to run off a power pole some days and a generator others and when able to use power from a building. (oh yeah, does a power plug from a building plug into the shore to power the unit?)

I have cut and saved some info from threads here but seem to have saved all that apply.

Thank you in advance..
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/18 22:42:47 (permalink)
1st forget All GFI outlets  unless your HD demands it and I mean demands them....... they are BS and meant for switched items above or around a sink. And the distance from the sink keeps getting stretched by everyone, HD, electricans, and on and on.

2nd All outlets on own circuits....this is a very good idea.

3rd 50 amp breaker box?? No do at least a100 AMP breaker box. You'll need more breakers than you think, and if your runing from a temp service you'll love the bigger box.

4th sure line (50amp?) or does it not work like that?

I'm guessing you mean shore line? If so that is just another way to get power to your breaker box.

You'd have a electrical feed coming off your generator to your 100 amp box thru a switch box.

At the switch box you'd also have an option to switch to your shore  line that would get electricity from another source (a pole). You wouldn't use both at the same time, you'd choose between the two, that's what the switch box is for. It doesn't have to be a big deal just a two way manual switch box.

It's a system that was developed for RV's so if they were in a Kmart parking lot they could run off of a generator or if they were at a campground they could get standard power from a pole or temp elec hookup.

4th Tomorrow look in your local phone book for a electrical company that works on commercial buildings, hopefully you'll have two or three. Call them and then go see them, tell the first one you visit what your doing. Ask them how big your entrance cable (shore line) needs to be? Ask them how big your generator needs to be? Make careful notes as you talk to them. In fact you should have all your questions listed before you even walk in their door. Don't go to question number two until you feel absolutely certian you fully understand the answer to question number one.
And continue on through your entire list of questions.

Now here is why I said hopefully you'll have several companies that are options to deal with: after you go to company one you'll feel you have a much better grasp of what you need and what it will cost.

So got to company number two and take all your questions and notes. Ask the same questions again in the same order and make more notes. You are getting a free education from the best in the business in your area, and doing 3 or 4 companies will allow you to get a great education  and find the company and price that you will feel comfortable with.

The most imporant points to remember are electricans are just like health department inspectors, or fire department safety inspectors, or people on this list, most will go overboard on what they tell you, you'll  need.

I'm not saying you should take short cuts, ignore good advice, or break the rules, nor am I telling you folks on this list don't know what their saying, I'm saying use your head and listen carefully so that you can make the best judgment call for your situation.

Edit to add this thought: Any good electrician can come by your place and temp wire any electrical device (grill, what ever) so it hooks up to your dryer outlet and tell you exactly what it draws (amps) at start up and over a twenty minute run time. That's important because electrical appliances pull much higher amperage at start up than normal running. Doing this will allow you to decide exactly what size generator you need. While doing this ask if starting different pieces of equipment at different times will change your power demands.  If a union electrician charges you to do this no big deal because you'll save money in costly mistakes down the road.
Jack

Ok now it's Busch Light Time

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/18 22:57:51
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/19 00:03:13 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

1st forget All GFI outlets  unless your HD demands it and I mean demands them....... they are BS and meant for switched items above or around a sink. And the distance from the sink keeps getting stretched by everyone, HD, electricans, and on and on.

2nd All outlets on own circuits....this is a very good idea.

3rd 50 amp breaker box?? No do at least a100 AMP breaker box. You'll need more breakers than you think, and if your runing from a temp service you'll love the bigger box.

4th sure line (50amp?) or does it not work like that?

I'm guessing you mean shore line? If so that is just another way to get power to your breaker box.

You'd have a electrical feed coming off your generator to your 100 amp box thru a switch box.

At the switch box you'd also have an option to switch to your shore  line that would get electricity from another source (a pole). You wouldn't use both at the same time, you'd choose between the two, that's what the switch box is for. It doesn't have to be a big deal just a two way manual switch box.

It's a system that was developed for RV's so if they were in a Kmart parking lot they could run off of a generator or if they were at a campground they could get standard power from a pole or temp elec hookup.

4th Tomorrow look in your local phone book for a electrical company that works on commercial buildings, hopefully you'll have two or three. Call them and then go see them, tell the first one you visit what your doing. Ask them how big your entrance cable (shore line) needs to be? Ask them how big your generator needs to be? Make careful notes as you talk to them. In fact you should have all your questions listed before you even walk in their door. Don't go to question number two until you feel absolutely certian you fully understand the answer to question number one.
And continue on through your entire list of questions.

Now here is why I said hopefully you'll have several companies that are options to deal with: after you go to company one you'll feel you have a much better grasp of what you need and what it will cost.

So got to company number two and take all your questions and notes. Ask the same questions again in the same order and make more notes. You are getting a free education from the best in the business in your area, and doing 3 or 4 companies will allow you to get a great education  and find the company and price that you will feel comfortable with.

The most imporant points to remember are electricans are just like health department inspectors, or fire department safety inspectors, or people on this list, most will go overboard on what they tell you, you'll  need.

I'm not saying you should take short cuts, ignore good advice, or break the rules, nor am I telling you folks on this list don't know what their saying, I'm saying use your head and listen carefully so that you can make the best judgment call for your situation.

Edit to add this thought: Any good electrician can come by your place and temp wire any electrical device (grill, what ever) so it hooks up to your dryer outlet and tell you exactly what it draws (amps) at start up and over a twenty minute run time. That's important because electrical appliances pull much higher amperage at start up than normal running. Doing this will allow you to decide exactly what size generator you need. While doing this ask if starting different pieces of equipment at different times will change your power demands.  If a union electrician charges you to do this no big deal because you'll save money in costly mistakes down the road.
Jack

Ok now it's Busch Light Time

Thanks for the feedback!

• Yes I did mean shore line. Did not have time to go through and edit.
  • HD did not request GFI outlets, I just thought it was standard to use them.
  • Copied your info to add to my list of to do and will run it by the electric guys as you suggest. One thing, if I am using a plug from a building (extension cord type deal) to power my unit one day rather than my generator or a pole, does that plug into the Shore line to power my unit at the time or do I get a plug added to the outside of my unit for the power cord from the building to plug into? It may plug into shore line but just double checking.
Lastly- I'm not sure but recall reading people speaking of some kind of pigtail deal so that at an event and they have the wrong service or something? You know what I mean? Something about arriving and finding they have different service that will work with what I have and having to pigtail something to make it work? I want to mention as many ideas as i can think of if possible so they have a full scope of what I may have to do in a given situation.

Thanks so much

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/19 08:44:48 (permalink)
Your shore plug can have two male ends so you can plug it into your trailer and the other end into your power source.

Or you can just run it straight out of your switch box and when the switch is throw in one direction it is in use and in the other direction it's just off. Hope you understand that?

Pigtails are so that your plug going to the events power outlet matches. Just a 2 or 3 foot long power cord which can be plugged into your male cord end and into the events female end.

I usually ask before signing up what kind of plug I'll need. And I send them a picture of mine and ask that they check with whom ever handles the electrrical hook ups.

Jack
knifeguy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/19 13:52:47 (permalink)
Chef Buba;
Thanks for the info on the window. I think I'll head over to Home Depot to check out their windows. I saw a trailer with some Household windows in it and they didn't look too bad. Would have looked better with a little more attention to the finish work. Pretty sloppy work.
I think the tempered glass is key in a moving unit.
Thanks Again
Rich
KonaErnie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 356
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/19 14:51:13 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

Your shore plug can have two male ends so you can plug it into your trailer and the other end into your power source.

For safety reasons, always have your shore cable with one male end and one female end. Install a male recepticle on the trailer and always plug the female end of the cable into the trailer first. 
chefbuba
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/19 20:54:27 (permalink)
knifeguy

Chef Buba;
Thanks for the info on the window. I think I'll head over to Home Depot to check out their windows. I saw a trailer with some Household windows in it and they didn't look too bad. Would have looked better with a little more attention to the finish work. Pretty sloppy work.
I think the tempered glass is key in a moving unit.
Thanks Again
Rich

KG.....If I remember my camera, and hav e time tomorrow, I'll get a few pics of how the window is installed and sits in the opening.
chefbuba
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/19 21:06:13 (permalink)
TMD.... I'll try to get some pics of my power pole and cable setup tomorrow... Showing the adapter, (drops 50A plug to 30 A... I use this when I run om generator. Also the type of outlet and plug that was used on my trailer is a 50A marine type water tight twist lock...
That'sMyDawg
Cheeseburger
Re:Mobile kitchen build info 2010/02/19 21:30:48 (permalink)
chefbuba

TMD.... I'll try to get some pics of my power pole and cable setup tomorrow... Showing the adapter, (drops 50A plug to 30 A... I use this when I run om generator. Also the type of outlet and plug that was used on my trailer is a 50A marine type water tight twist lock...

KonaErnie

Dr of BBQ

For safety reasons, always have your shore cable with one male end and one female end. Install a male recepticle on the trailer and always plug the female end of the cable into the trailer first. 

Ok thanks.....
post edited by That'sMyDawg - 2010/02/19 21:32:12
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 17
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1