Mocktails

Author
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5550
2008/01/23 16:26:16 (permalink)

Mocktails

I'd love to hear your favorite Virgin Drinks. Of course there's Shirley Temples, Roy Rogers and Arnold Palmers, and virgin cocktails that simply remove the alcohol (i.e virgin dacquiri or virgin margarita and the like), but recently, many bars are specializing in virgin drinks for the DD and also for people who want a drink late at night, but have had enough alcohol. Getting completely wasted is becoming not-so-becoming at many new clubs. So, I've noticed people switching it up, drinking an alcohol drink followed by a mocktail.

When I was a college RA, we had Mocktail Parties for the incoming freshmen where we bartended with about 20-25 different drinks on the menu - complete with DJ and plenty of food.

Here's one of my favorite drinks (also known as a cure for hangover):
Temperance Tantrum
3 oz. cranberry juice
2 oz. orange juice
squeeze of lemon
ginger ale.

One the rocks: fill highball with ice, then Cranberry, then oj, then ginger, then squeezed lemon. Garnish with lemon peel and fiery chili pepper.

Frozen:
Blend the juices with ice until smooth,
then top up with the ginger ale.
Garnish with a fiery chilli pepper and lemon peel.

5 Replies Related Threads

jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Mocktails 2008/01/23 20:39:00 (permalink)
    My parents had us addicted to kiddy cocktails and candy cigarettes at a young age. Pretty much now i stick to the N/A beers because i like the taste and a clear mind.
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Mocktails 2008/01/23 21:36:34 (permalink)
    When I was very young, we used to spend a week every summer with my great aunt on Nantucket, and once in a while we'd go for a weekend during the rest of the year. Every night before dinner, everyone would have a cocktail. All the kids got to have a Mickey Mouse - cranberry juice and ginger ale, but she made them feel like "grown up" drinks by adding a lemon slice, an orange slice and a maraschino cherry.

Now, I serve those to my family for holiday dinners.
    jeepguy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Mocktails 2008/01/24 18:51:21 (permalink)
    Ours were tonic water on the rocks with a twist and an olive. They tasted just like my dad's martini!
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4604
    RE: Mocktails 2008/01/25 03:08:55 (permalink)
    When I make my famous Bloody Marys for non-drinkers, I always put in the same amount of water as I would have vodka ... the difference in taste is imperceptible.

When I am out later than I planned, I have two bartender friends who after a wink from me, switch me to water martinis ... It is a technique that works for me very well.

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Mocktails 2008/01/25 08:37:23 (permalink)
    Virgin Piña Colada

Ingredients:
    2 ounces coconut cream
    1 1/2 ounces crushed pineapple
    1 ounce pineapple juice
    1/4 cup crushed ice
    1 orange slice
    1 maraschino cherry

Directions:
    Place all ingredients in a blender and blend at high setting until smooth -- about 30 seconds. Strain into highball or Collins glass and garnish with orange slice and cherry. NOTE: Crushed pineapple juice canned in its own juice is preferable for a less-sweet drink; use pineapple canned in syrup for a sweeter concoction.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1