Mojo Pork Ribs

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/09/26 02:38:52 (permalink)

Mojo Pork Ribs

I picked up a rack of pork ribs three days ago on sale and just figured on doing them in the oven and finsh under the broiler for Friday. I've had a bottle of Bullseye Carolina sauce that I bought on sale with a coupon that's been beckoning from the pantry for a while and figured it would be a fast and easy meal.  It didn't work out that way with other priorities and my beloved has been jonesing for Pizza Hut today, so I had to do something with the ribs. I thought I'd get adventurous and try doing them sort of like a restaurant style Lechon Asado which I've never done before with ribs using mostly off the shelf condiments. The results surprised all of us.

First off, I seasoned the ribs last night with a liberal amount of cumin powder,garlic powder, and latin Sazon Completa after rinsing and patting them down. I didn't remove the membrane and never do. This afternoon I put them in a 2 gallon zip lock bag and poured in about a half of bottle of mojo marinade and about 1/2 cup of extra sour orange juice and let them marinate for about 6 hours. During that time I was debating whether to put them in the rotisserie or do them in the oven. My guess was the citrus/acid was going to make them chewier so I decided to go with a 1/2 rack pan and rack with foil and let the steam do it's thing. Racked the ribs and poured the rest of the marinade in the foiled pan and placed a sheet of foil over and folded in the edges and put them in a 300 degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours where you see the ribs retracting a bit from the ends. Keeping the oven rack at the middle, 5 minutes under the broiler for first brown then I came to the problem of just finishing the ribs as they were. Just for the H of it, I brushed the sauce on the bottom after flipping them with the Carolina sauce and then broiled 5 minutes and then flipped them right side and did about 7 minutes with the topside sauced until carmalized nicely brown.

Weird combination of mojo and sweet, mustardy BBQ sauce. Once finished under the broiler and carmalized, the taste actually melds into a neat segue of flavor that everyone agreed works very well. What didn't taste good was the raw sauce on the side. These ribs can stand alone with the taste as is. This no doubt can be improved on, but there's something right going on here that I want to try again. I don't consider this BBQ so I'm posting in the recipe section.

5 Replies Related Threads

agnesrob
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:Mojo Pork Ribs 2010/09/26 06:25:56 (permalink)
    Whatever you call it, Dawn. I'd sure eat them!
    Reaper
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    Re:Mojo Pork Ribs 2010/09/26 16:29:14 (permalink)
    You cannot go wrong with pork and MOJO. Sounds awesome
    Reaper
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mojo Pork Ribs 2010/09/26 16:34:00 (permalink)
    Dawn, one thing I don't think aluminum foil and MOJO with the added sour orange go together because it is so acidic
    DawnT
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Mojo Pork Ribs 2010/09/26 17:24:41 (permalink)
    Reaper, I've been doing a pork shoulder or leg on a foiled pan and tented with a sheet of foil for nearly 40 years with no problems and the way most cooks down here do it. I primarly cook Cuban and sour orange/salt/garlic/pepper/oregano/cumin is the primary marinade or paste to many of my meat and poultry dishes.  I don't marinate in foil, just in bake in the oven. While you're technically correct and it should be reactive in theory, I have never seen any degradation and only a little discoloration to the foil where it touches the top of the fat cap on a leg or shoulder after many hours of baking. I often do my BBQ ribs like this in a pan with some water on the bottom and sealed with foil over the top prior to finishing under the broiler. In that case, the tomato bbq sauce will indeed cause some pitting and pinholes in the thinner top foil. It doesn't seem to be the case with the mojo.
    Reaper
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Mojo Pork Ribs 2010/09/26 17:51:27 (permalink)
    Dawn, I lived in Florida for 30 years and I have decided that South Florida Cuban food is one of my favorites running neck and neck with Tex Mex.

What Mojo does to pork is indescribable, the flavors were meant for each other.

I want to make a MOJO sausage have not had the time to experiment.

Mitch
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1