Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics]

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4211
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/05/04 12:20:04 (permalink)
baughman, 20,000 "meh" votes seems light by my estimate.  You are right though, there are a few real 'Que joints opened up around Cincy.  Two of my favorites, discovered with Cincinnati Roadfooders jjjrfoodie and Tumbleweed, are Pit To Plate and BBQ Revue.  I've also heard good things from TJ Jackson about Jim Dandy's.

I visited City Barbecue (based out of Columbus) and, although certainly an improvement over Montgomery Inn, was unimpressed with the overall product.

Are there any other places you would recommend in the Cincinnati metro area?

Buddy

Pit To Plate
8021 Hamilton Ave.
Mt. Healthy  OH  45231
(513) 931-9100

Barbecue Revue
4725 Madison Rd.
Cincinnati  OH  45227
(513) 871-3500

Jim Dandy's
2343 E. Sharon Rd.
Cincinnati  OH  45241
(513) 571-4888
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/05/04 12:40:49 (permalink)
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4564
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/05/04 13:07:41 (permalink)
In my opinion, the very best BBQ in Cincinnati at the moment can be found at Boston Butz in Ross - for out-of-towners, this is at the extreme NW corner of what might still be considered "Greater Cincinnati" with a stretch (or three) of the limits.

Solidly at number 2 is Pit to Plate.

RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 172
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/05/04 19:50:55 (permalink)
A short while back I was in Ross for the first time in 40 years, I saw the pink pig out front and decided to stop there at Boston Butz. I can't say it is the best in the area (like I said, I've been gone for 40 years) but their pulled pork is very good. 'Q' joints don't usually impress me, I have a couple smokers at home and I know how good smoked 'Q' tastes. Theirs is as good as any that I have had in a restaurant.
www.bostonbutz.com

Montgomery Inn "BBQ sauce" could possibly be the worst I have ever tasted - but then, if we all had the same tastes, this would be an awfully boring world.
Bill 
post edited by Roadkill Bill - 2009/05/04 19:56:44
mr_melvis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/05/11 10:15:51 (permalink)
We live close to the "Butz" - for BBQ it's pretty good.  But I have to be honest, nothing tastes as good as what I do in my Smokin Tex smoker (pork shoulders, brisket, turkey, hamburgers, steaks, <Cold Smoke>: cheese, salsa, etc.).

mr_melvis
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/05/11 11:34:04 (permalink)
mr melvis,
There are few commercial 'Que joints in this world that can consistently and unerringly match the quality produced by an experienced home pit master.  I have no doubt that what comes out of the smoker in your backyard is superior in every way to the typical product that is put out at most greasehouses.

However, when you consider that most commercial pit masters are tending to literally dozens, if not hundreds of briskets, pork shoulders, chickens, ribs, and sausages all at the same time, while the home smoker looks after a tiny fraction of that amount, it is an unfair comparison at best.

Truly, I'm not trying to be snarky or to denigrate your 'Que in any way.  Certainly, if you've read any of my comments above, you know I'm not defending The Montgomery Inn.  I'm just sayin', what comes out of a commercial kitchen as opposed to what is made with the skilled hands of a home cook who is able to focus all of his or her attention on one item defies comparison.

I offer this comment not just in response to your post, but also to all those individuals in so many other threads where "The Best" is being discussed.  Whether it be burgers, 'Que, pasta sauces, salsa or lutefisk, their response is, "Nothing beats what comes out of my kitchen/porch/backyard/what have you."

Well, duh.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/05/11 11:36:28
mr_melvis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/05/27 15:33:46 (permalink)
Buddy:

No offense taken at all (but a small bit of snark WAS detected...)   ;-) 

In relaying that nothing (to me) tastes as good as what I put out, I was only judging against what commercial options are available to us in this area - not Que from "around the world".  I am more than positive that somewhere out in this great wide world of ours, there is BBQ that just makes mine look and taste like wet paper bags filled with feathers.  That's ok - it's not a competition with me, I just groove on food!  As far as the Montgomery Inn is concerned - someone earlier said they must be doing something right to be in business this long.  That is very true - somebody (*lots of somebodys*) evidently digs it.  I kind of look at it this way:  I am not a big fan of Ozzy Osbourne's music at all - but God love him, somebody is because he makes a ton of dough off of it - so more power to him (and The Montgomery Inn!).  I'll just keep listening to Motorhead and eating my Que...  ;-)

mr_melvis

BuddyRoadhouse

mr melvis,
There are few commercial 'Que joints in this world that can consistently and unerringly match the quality produced by an experienced home pit master.  I have no doubt that what comes out of the smoker in your backyard is superior in every way to the typical product that is put out at most greasehouses.

However, when you consider that most commercial pit masters are tending to literally dozens, if not hundreds of briskets, pork shoulders, chickens, ribs, and sausages all at the same time, while the home smoker looks after a tiny fraction of that amount, it is an unfair comparison at best.

Truly, I'm not trying to be snarky or to denigrate your 'Que in any way.  Certainly, if you've read any of my comments above, you know I'm not defending The Montgomery Inn.  I'm just sayin', what comes out of a commercial kitchen as opposed to what is made with the skilled hands of a home cook who is able to focus all of his or her attention on one item defies comparison.

I offer this comment not just in response to your post, but also to all those individuals in so many other threads where "The Best" is being discussed.  Whether it be burgers, 'Que, pasta sauces, salsa or lutefisk, their response is, "Nothing beats what comes out of my kitchen/porch/backyard/what have you."

Well, duh.

Buddy

Conlon
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/06/10 09:17:38 (permalink)
I'm having a meeting in Cincinnati in August and want to take a group of 30 out for dinner one night.  Where would you suggest I go? 

p.s. We're all tourists from Canada
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6360
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/06/10 10:39:33 (permalink)
Conlon

I'm having a meeting in Cincinnati in August and want to take a group of 30 out for dinner one night.  Where would you suggest I go? 

p.s. We're all tourists from Canada

Tourists or business? It kind of makes a difference. I used to travel a lot on business and I would classify the Montgomery Inn as an out of towner businessman's kind of comfort place. Middle of the road, can't go wrong, won't feel out of place and won't make ripples on the expense account. I would not consider it a tourist destination.
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/06/10 11:47:41 (permalink)
I have been there for many meetings also. I don't love there Ribs but they are definately good. Saratoga Chips with there Hot Mustard mixed 50/50 with BBQ sauce as a dip is excellent(This is a local trick). Steaks are pretty good also. Well run bar and service. Great View. Can be loud but they are set up for groups. You wont be amazed but you wont be dissappointed...Russ 
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2009/06/10 11:49:37
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/06/10 12:35:20 (permalink)
Conlon, take a look at TJ Jackson's Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky thread  for some good suggestions in the Queen City.

Buddy

P.S. To the moderators: Why this informative thread has not been made a sticky at the top of the "Trip Report" forum is a mystery to me.  It is a very useful source for anyone visiting Cincy.

Just a suggestion.

Buddy
Jennifer_4
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1509
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/06/10 13:17:07 (permalink)
After looking at their menu, can someone tell me why all the meats on their dinner sandwiches claim to be "slow smoked", but their ribs aren't?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/06/10 13:32:46 (permalink)
'Cause they're not.

Frankly, I'm not sure anything at Montgomery Inn is actually smoked in the traditional Barbecue manner, but that is between them, their conscience, and their customers.  This is definitely a case of caveat emptor, "Let the Buyer Beware".

Buddy
SteveB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/06/14 15:32:49 (permalink)
I live quite close to the original Montgomery Inn and dine there or get carry-out several times a year.  Their ribs are quite good.  Very meaty and nice flavor.  They are not BBQ though, so don't expect smoked pork.  I'm a bit of a bbq maven myself - prefer my own - but for best real smoked ribs in cincy, check out KT's in Reading. Most of the folks I eat with at the Inn get the Ribs/Duck combo and rave about the duck.

Their sauce is quite good, but a little sweet for my taste.  I cut it with a bit of apple cider vinager and add a little hot sauce and it is just about perfect.  Unlike many bottled sauces, it does not have artificial smoke flavor...I let my smoking do the talking.
mark1217
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/12/29 15:40:16 (permalink)
Hey Steve, how much pickapeppa sauce and cider vinegar do you add to the Mongomery Inn BBQ sauce?
sunshiner52
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2010/02/28 00:51:39 (permalink)
I have been to the BoatHouse Montgomery Inn but it was several years ago and I don't really remember the sauce. I am sure I got the chicken though since I am not a big fan of ribs.

What I can tell you though is that THE VERY BEST Ribs are from "Marks Feed Store" in Louisville, KY. These ribs are perfect so if you are in that area check them out. Also try their buttermilk crunch. ....if you have room for it.  It is buttermilk pie topped with soft serve ice cream with butterscotch sauce and nuts on top...oh my word...scrumptious....
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15244
Re:Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2010/03/02 21:22:43 (permalink)
Sunshine-  I am afraid I have to disagree with your evaluation of the Marks Feed Store BBQ. We have tried a couple of their stores...They are a local chain... and found that the food was only about a 5 on the scale of 10, and more importantly the service was not as good or as consistent as we have found at most FF Burger Joints. The gum-chewing help spent more time swapping stories with each other while our food waited to be delivered on more than one visit. No 'adult' management help were in view at either of the stores during busy lunch hours on three visits within the past year.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1