Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1031
2008/09/07 02:10:01 (permalink)

Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics]

Here is a pictorial for the curious.

Montgomery Inn is not BBQ in the sense that the meat is smoked. It is meat covered in BBQ sauce.

Montgomery Inn Boathouse {not the original location in Montgomery, OH} is located on the Ohio River. Great Views.

The inside of the restaurant is full of sports memorabilia.

It's cozy, when it's not packed {which it usually is}~

They give you a great bread basket, including some great salted rye~

On to the food. This is a combo plate of ribs, a pork chop, baked potato & onion straws~

Beef Brisket {smothered in MI BBQ sauce}, mac & cheese, & cornbread.

A wider view {with broccoli}~

The sides are great. The pork chop was pretty darn good. The BBQ sauce on the ribs & brisket cover up the lack of flavor {because it's boiled meat}.

But if you come to Cincinnati, you must come to the MI Boathouse for the views~

~ {and some guy cleaning the riverside} ~

And, Montgomery Inn also serves steak and seafood for those who do not wish to partake in boiled meat covered in an interesting BBQ sauce {secret ingredient ~ anchovies!!}. They also serve Saratoga chips with a side of the interesting BBQ sauce {sorry, no pics}.

It's not all bad. Just not smoked BBQ. Uniquely Cincinnati.

46 Replies Related Threads

Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2008/09/07 07:05:36 (permalink)
    They told me at the original location that they go through 50,000#/week of ribs.
    Also, you might try the revolving restaurant on the KY side of the river for some excellent pics. Your coverage of the Boathouse was outstanding!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6201
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2008/09/07 08:02:26 (permalink)
    Oh that porkchop dinner looked superb!!!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2008/09/07 08:09:23 (permalink)
    Never been here, but their BBQ sauce? The best bottled sauce I have ever had. Thin consistancy, yet incredibly flavorful. This is a very famous place. Friends from the "Queen City" brought me back their sauce and then send us their ribs. The ribs were very good, too. No, not really "Q" but very good ribs. Who cares if they taste good. Their's do.
    Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2008/09/11 10:33:26 (permalink)
    How were the prices? I thought the original location was over priced.

Baah Ben, their ribs were well prepared, but the suace did nothing for me.

Keith
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2008/09/11 16:59:14 (permalink)
    Looks good,soozycue-they get kudos from me for serving salted rye and onion straws.The view is wonderful, as is the " view " of the rest of the food!
    uncledaveyo
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2008/09/11 23:52:08 (permalink)
    Yum!
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2008/09/26 23:32:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Baah Ben

Never been here, but their BBQ sauce? The best bottled sauce I have ever had. Thin consistancy, yet incredibly flavorful. This is a very famous place. Friends from the "Queen City" brought me back their sauce and then send us their ribs. The ribs were very good, too. No, not really "Q" but very good ribs. Who cares if they taste good. Their's do.

Totally agree with you about their sauce. Excellent.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2008/09/27 00:03:27 (permalink)
    Earl... Glad you like the sauce, too. Sorry, Sfreader didn't. I just realized I have another bottle in my pantry!

Here's some of the things the label says:

"#1 in the USA..Montgomery Inn Barbeque Sauce"
    "Heat before serving"
    "New Bottle (plastic) - Same Great Taste"
    "Ted Gregory - The Rib King"
    "18 oz"
    "Sauce is specially blended to be heated"
    "#1 ingredient in our sauce is tomatoes"
    "Montgomery Inn Boathouse"
    "Arnold Palmer, Johnny Bench, Bill Clinton, George Bush, Gerald Ford, Ronald Regan"
    "Do not microwave this bottle"

This is a sauce that you do want to heat up. It makes a big difference.

www.montgomeryinn.com
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/01/23 22:22:05 (permalink)
    I ate at the original Montgomery Inn about 10 or 11 years ago, and I have to say that I was very unimpressed. I knew in advance that the ribs were not going to be true barbeque, but due to the Inn's lofty reputation in Cincinnati, I decided to approach the food with an open mind. The ribs themselves were pretty decent ( nice and meaty ), but that "famous" sauce was something else.... just plain bad. In the late ' 80s/early ' 90s, Bob Hope ( of all people! ) was doing radio commercials for that sauce that were heard on Cincy's WLW-AM, and with that kind of endorsement, I had high hopes for the stuff. Boy, what a letdown. I consider Montgomery Inn's sauce to be one of the three or four worst BBQ sauces I've ever had. Not a place that I care to return to.  
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/01/23 23:43:38 (permalink)
    they make a homemade bleu cheese dressing that is amazing!! best ive ever had!
    mr_melvis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/16 08:08:50 (permalink)
    Gotta tell ya - lived in the area over 25 years and this is probably the worst BBQ I've ever had.  We gave it several tries over the years, to make sure we had not hit them on a bad day, but we never eat there anymore.  To us, the sauce is nothing more than sweet catsup, and the meat was overcooked...

mr_melvis
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/16 08:35:39 (permalink)
    Any idea how many years the Montgomery Inn has been in business?  I know it's quite a few.  They must be doing something right.

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/16 09:28:18 (permalink)
    BaahBen,
    ~~Everyone has different tastes which is why Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors yet also they are on no lists for best ice cream in America. McDonalds is biggest "food seller" in the world but many people will never eat there. I went to the same Montgomery's Inn and I didn't much care for what I thought  were 24/7 Greek diner-style ribs. You are right in that they are very popular so it must be just my tastes that are askew. I loved the view but not the ribs, the sauce to me also tasted like sweet ketchup, and I never enjoy potatos cooked in aluminum foil. Different strokes for .......
    Beautiful job on the pictures soozycue.
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/16 09:51:02 (permalink)
    Ive said it before but they have the best bleu cheese dressing ive ever had on their salads and i thought it was pretty darn good considering its not the "real thing".
    btw they used to fly their ribs year after year out to Bob Hopes desert classic golf tourney!
    He was a huge fan and I even dined inthe Bob hope room upstairs all the way in the back. really nice views of newport on the levy and such!
    He lived to be 100 so it must have been the ribs!!!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10085
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/16 09:58:04 (permalink)
    I have eaten at the original location three times, but never the Boathouse.  I am squarely in the camp of not enjoying the ribs or the sauce, but I certainly understand the allure of this place.  That does not take away from my enjoyment of another fine report, soozycue520, so thank you and keep them coming!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18269
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/16 10:22:54 (permalink)
    They're opening a new Montgomery Inn in Columbus, this week, I believe. It will likely be successful. But, having had their ribs and their awful sauce I won't be a customer.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/16 12:29:41 (permalink)
    Three "likes" and six "don't likes" on the sauce.

Now I'm worried, as my cousin wants to take to one in Cincinnati.
    dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/16 13:07:28 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Three "likes" and six "don't likes" on the sauce.

Now I'm worried, as my cousin wants to take to one in Cincinnati.

you can always order a bottle and give it a shot! they ship anywhere! and you might be able to pick it up in some places!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/16 13:36:14 (permalink)
    Baah BenAny idea how many years the Montgomery Inn has been in business?  I know it's quite a few.  They must be doing something right.
    Yeah, marketing to suckers who don't know the difference between real 'Que and stuff they serve at Montgomery Inn.

Buddy

jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1181
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/17 11:43:08 (permalink)
    I can't abide the place. Boiled ribs, sweetie-sweet flat sauce. And whereas at other restaurants they serve livestock, at Monty Inn, you are the livestock -- packed in, fed fast, ushered out.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/17 14:15:01 (permalink)
    Nice to know that so many people share my opinion of Montgomery Inn's food, especially that sad excuse for BBQ sauce ( see, great minds DO think alike! )
    soozycue520
    • Total Posts : 1031
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/17 16:51:42 (permalink)
    I don't think I mentioned this, but the reason why I went, this particular time, is that my cousin, who is not from Cincy, had been told over & over that she had to try it.  I warned her that is wasn't "all that", and after trying it, she agreed.  Being a southern girl, she was not impressed with the ribs.  I ordered the brisket that day because it was a special, and I didn't know they would drown it in sauce.

I have been on other occasions {when someone else insists on it}, and I tend to order a filet.  It is good, albeit over-priced.  And I like their side dishes.  So, if someone insists that you go, you can still get a decent meal, while avoiding the pseudo BBQ.

The pork chop is also very good, and they do not sauce it {sauce comes on the side}.  It is mentioned here that the blue cheese dressing is good.  MI's salads are much better than they used to be {i.e. not just iceberg & carrots}, and their house dressing was a walnut & gorgonzola vingrette that was excellent.

If I get to choose, MI is not the place I would pick, but if I have to go, I can make due.

I wanted to post this because there is a lot of discussion about MI, and i thought people would be interested.  And, with all this discussion here, others who might visit can make up their own minds whether to visit MI or not.
    post edited by soozycue520 - 2009/04/17 16:56:33
    caver
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/18 23:22:47 (permalink)
    Ate there earlier this year, I would not bother going there again.  The ribs were not good at all, and I don't remember the sides or anything else being other than run of the mill at best.

I left rather disappointed.
    SteveB
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/27 12:00:09 (permalink)
    I am a BBQ maven (I'll put up my pork and brisket to anyones) and a cincinnati resident, so here is my take on the Inn.

They are a decent restaraunt with some excellent items...just don't expetc BBQ.  Their baby backs ribs are meaty and tender and have a decent rub.  They are boiled/steamed and then finished on a grill.  I order them with sauce on the side and enjoy them but, again, they are not smoked bbq...they are a whole different product.  My buddies really recommend the Inn's duck and typically order the duck/ribs combo.  My kids like their onion straws.  The boathouse has nice view...good place to take visitors.  The Inn has gotten quite expensive these days, but everyone else has too.

Their sauce is pretty good, if you like a "northern style sweet sauce".  I doctor it up a bit - add a little cider vinager to cut the sweetness and a little Jamaican Pick-a-Peppa sauce for heat and complexity.  After doctoring, it really is better than any sauce I have come up with on my own.

If you want the best real ribs in cinti, check out KT's in Reading.  It is a small take-out place and their ribs are world class.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/27 12:16:54 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Baah BenAny idea how many years the Montgomery Inn has been in business?  I know it's quite a few.  They must be doing something right.
    Yeah, marketing to suckers who don't know the difference between real 'Que and stuff they serve at Montgomery Inn.

Buddy

It's funny to read this now.  I BBQ'd some pork ribs the other day, planning to try the Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce (which I had previously ordered, after reading Danny Botz' suggestion).  Whilst rummaging through the BBQ sauce larder, I came upon a couple of bottles of your Roadhouse BBQ sauce.  I ended up not opening the MI sauce!  BTW, the Hot Sweet & Tangy was too hot and spicy for the spousal unit.

soozyque520:  Thank you for posting the Montgomery Inn Boathouse report and the great photos.
    post edited by MiamiDon - 2009/04/27 12:19:19
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/04/27 13:09:33 (permalink)
    Don,
    I hope someone got some enjoyment out of our Hot, Sweet, & Tangy Bar-B-Que Sauce.  I'm sorry it was too hot for Mrs. Miami, but when we created it, we decided if we're going to call that version our "Hot" sauce, we'd better live up to that expectation.  Not too hot, mind you, but we didn't want anyone challenging our claims to heat either.

We do have four versions of our sauces, the "Original Recipe" being the mildest.  Mixing and matching the varieties will yield you excellent results as well.  My current favorite mix is about a one to one ratio of the "Original Recipe", a sweet smoky sauce, mixed with our "Southern Sunset" a tangier vinegar based sauce that pays homage to classic southern style sauces.  The combination of the sweet with the tangy and the little bit of heat in the southern sauce provides a perfect balance for me.

Thanks for using our products.  Hope they met with your satisfaction.

Buddy
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/05/02 15:29:25 (permalink)
    I tried some of the Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce today.  Wow.  It really does taste like ketchup.  Now mind you, I like ketchup.  I make some very good BBQ sauces based on ketchup, but I add enough other things that they don't remind one of ketcup, in consistency, color or taste.

So now I have four bottles of odd ketchup.  Maybe I'll just use them instead of ketchup, on burgers and fries! 
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/05/02 16:45:36 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

I tried some of the Montgomery Inn BBQ sauce today.  Wow.  It really does taste like ketchup.  Now mind you, I like ketchup.  I make some very good BBQ sauces based on ketchup, but I add enough other things that they don't remind one of ketcup, in consistency, color or taste.

So now I have four bottles of odd ketchup.  Maybe I'll just use them instead of ketchup, on burgers and fries! 

May I suggest hot dogs?
    baughman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Montgomery Inn/ Cincinnati - BBQ? [pics] 2009/05/04 10:35:04 (permalink)
    Montgomery Inn was here before any real Barbq came into town. So I tend to give CIncinnatians a break on it. I will get the chicken if i go. I wont touch the ribs tho.
      At least a few good Barbq joints are starting to open up now around town, which is good.
      So I guess I am 20,000ing the report that Montgomery Inn is meh.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1