Monthly supplies and expenses for a restaurant?

Author
mpatel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2014/05/28 07:15:20 (permalink)

Monthly supplies and expenses for a restaurant?

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, and have recently been looking into starting a consulting business for restaurants to help them find cheaper suppliers for their foods and products.

However, I have no experience in the industry, and before I devote myself fully to this, I was looking to find out just how "wasteful" i should expect the average restaurant to be.

For example, would there be many restaurants out there who could save 5% or even 10% on food/material costs by locating a cheaper supplier? Or are the industry price deviations much smaller? i.e. maybe supplier prices vary by a much smaller margin, like 1-2%.

Obviously large chains and franchises will (usually) be highly efficient, and I don't expect to get their business, but I'm looking more at how efficient the average "small" restaurant owner would be.

The amount i can save my clients will directly relate to the amount of money i can make, and I don't want to enter an industry where the impact I could have is minimal.

Im looking forward to feedback from those more knowledgeable than me. Thanks!

-Matt

7 Replies Related Threads

jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1365
    Re:Monthly supplies and expenses for a restaurant? 2014/05/28 10:02:05 (permalink)
    Is that you Jethro?  I thought you wanted to be a brain surgeon.
    mpatel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Monthly supplies and expenses for a restaurant? 2014/05/28 10:24:34 (permalink)
    jman

Is that you Jethro?  I thought you wanted to be a brain surgeon.

I'm afraid I don't understand the nature of the reference.
    It seems to be from the Beverly Hillbillies.

Are you suggesting that the issue I mentioned is more complex than I understand, and that I'm oversimplifying matters?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10348
    Re:Monthly supplies and expenses for a restaurant? 2014/05/28 12:09:20 (permalink)
    Why are you getting into a business as a consultant that you know nothing about????? Consultants are supposed to know about the clients business.
    That's like a NASCAR driver telling a Jockey how to ride a horse!
    I'm a business consultant and the first thing a potential client asks me is "What is your experience in my type of business?".
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Monthly supplies and expenses for a restaurant? 2014/05/28 15:24:51 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Why are you getting into a business as a consultant that you know nothing about????? Consultants are supposed to know about the clients business.
    That's like a NASCAR driver telling a Jockey how to ride a horse!
    I'm a business consultant and the first thing a potential client asks me is "What is your experience in my type of business?".

This. So much this.
    If you want to see what a consultant can do, look into Jon Taffer in the bar industry. The consulting part of the job (as in the entire point of the job) comes from his experience. He started running bars in 1978. He started consulting after many years of working in the industry, so he has a lot of first-hand knowledge.
    It sounds like you are trying to put the stable before the driveway before the road before the driver before the wheels before the cart before the horse. I wouldn't pay you a dime, and would very likely be very vocal to my colleagues warning them about such a "consultant." I would HIGHLY suggest you don't go through with your business plan. Not only will you not make much money, but you might actually be opening yourself up to lawsuits if you present yourself as a consultant in an industry you know absolutely nothing about.
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Monthly supplies and expenses for a restaurant? 2014/05/28 15:25:22 (permalink)
    mpatel

Hi,

I'm new to the forums, and have recently been looking into starting a consulting business for restaurants to help them find cheaper suppliers for their foods and products.

However, I have no experience in the industry, and before I devote myself fully to this, I was looking to find out just how "wasteful" i should expect the average restaurant to be.

For example, would there be many restaurants out there who could save 5% or even 10% on food/material costs by locating a cheaper supplier? Or are the industry price deviations much smaller? i.e. maybe supplier prices vary by a much smaller margin, like 1-2%.

Obviously large chains and franchises will (usually) be highly efficient, and I don't expect to get their business, but I'm looking more at how efficient the average "small" restaurant owner would be.

The amount i can save my clients will directly relate to the amount of money i can make, and I don't want to enter an industry where the impact I could have is minimal.

Im looking forward to feedback from those more knowledgeable than me. Thanks!

-Matt

bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    Re:Monthly supplies and expenses for a restaurant? 2014/05/30 15:28:26 (permalink)
    mpatel I'm new to the forums, and have recently been looking into starting a consulting business for restaurants to help them find cheaper suppliers for their foods and products.

Rather than just put you down for using the word "consultant", I'm going to get more specific. You have not really described the nature of your intended business. If your intent is to have individual restaurant owners come to you with a list of their suppliers and prices, and for you to find suppliers that will give a quality that the restaurant owner likes for a better price, then you had better be VERY familiar with the industry, because you will have to do more than just list prices; you have to be prepared to negotiate with suppliers on the restaurant owner's behalf, and have a good knowledge of food quality. If your target market is more like those who buy their supplies from the big box stores, then you have the convenience factor to figure in as well.

Bart
    Flank Steak
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Monthly supplies and expenses for a restaurant? 2014/08/18 03:21:25 (permalink)
    what is that a joke? you you want to consult about something you do not know about?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1