Montreal Bagels Rule the World!

Author
FoodDude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
2005/07/29 15:31:50 (permalink)

Montreal Bagels Rule the World!

I've often had a problem with bagels. I find them to be too puffy and bland for my liking.

But last week, I was in Montreal, Quebec for my vacation. And while sampling the city's various poutine and smoked meat (Schwartz's rule, BTW) I decided to try another one of Montreal's signature items, their bagels, only because I heard they were different from ordinary bagels.

Without much knowledge, I checked the web to see what was avaliable and what was closest. I ended up coming across St. Viateur Bagels, which was located along rue St. Viateur between St. Urbain and Parc. There are actually two shops along this stretch. the one closest to St. Urbain is a wholesale shop that makes and sells their bagels with nothing more than that. They recommended I head over to their second store which was across the street and closer to Parc. Not only do they make bagels as similar to the first store but they also offer individual packs of cream cheese to spread on. They sold three types as far as I know: plain, sesame seed, and poppy seed.

I ordered only one sesame seed with a pack of herb and spice cream cheese to go. They aren't as big as your traditional New York style bagel but they cooked them in wood burning ovens after they have been in a bath of a water-honey mixture.

One bite and I WAS IN LOVE! They have a slightly sweet taste from the honey bath they were in. They had a toasty smokey crunchy exterior and a warm soft interior that makes them so addictive when bitten into. They were so good I went back and ordered two more. The next day, I went back and ordered a half dozen of these babies and finished them off before noon. I had to leave early the next day and never got to order some more. I was officialy hooked.

I know some of you (especialy those living in New York) believe there is only one way to make a bagel. But trust me, if you find yourself going to Montreal try their bagels out. Not only will you not be dissapointed but you will be wondering what you've been having all these years.

4 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Montreal Bagels Rule the World! 2005/07/29 20:21:03 (permalink)
    Sorry, FoodDude--I don't think bagels are intended to be intrinsically sweet. Personally, I normally eat bagels only with cream cheese, lox (the real thing, not that cream cheese mixed with minescule fragments of salmon stuff one gets at chain bagel places), raw onion and, maybe, some capers. It's a piquant combo. I can't imagine the sweetness being a plus. I'll stick with New York bagels as my epitome, though I will indeed try one of those Canadian things if I'm ever in that hood.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Montreal Bagels Rule the World! 2005/07/29 20:45:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    I know some of you (especialy those living in New York) believe there is only one way to make a bagel. But trust me, if you find yourself going to Montreal try their bagels out. Not only will you not be dissapointed but you will be wondering what you've been having all these years.

The bagels are quite good, but also quite different from the average NY bagel. I just wasn't nuts about the sweetness factor, but then I never liked sweet flavors of bagels, such as cinnamon/raisin. I am, however, in agreement with you about Schwartz's smoked meat.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Montreal Bagels Rule the World! 2005/07/29 21:48:11 (permalink)
    Montreal bagels are great. I like them better than New York bagels.
    sizz
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Montreal Bagels Rule the World! 2005/07/29 23:49:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    FoodDude Posted - 07/29/2005 : 15:31:50
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But last week, I was in Montreal, Quebec for my vacation. And while sampling the city's various poutine and smoked meat (Schwartz's rule, BTW) I decided to try another one of Montreal's signature items, their bagels, only because I heard they were different from ordinary bagels.

Food Dude:
    Would you be so kind as to go on over to this Roadfood thread and post some of your Montreal food experiences.http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8522 Linda and I will be driving through Montreal on our vacation and spending a week + in Quebec before settling on the cost of Maine........... would love to get some "Roadfood joints" and local color of the vicinity. Thanks .....Frank
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1