The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Moore's BBQ in Kenly NC?

mainlinedine

• Total Posts: 3
Moore's BBQ in Kenly NC? Mon, 07/12/10 11:29 AM (permalink)
Anyone know what happened to Moore's Barbecue in Kenly NC? I stopped there yesterday and was disappointed to find out that it is now known as Stormin Norman's Barbecue. Some of the Moore's signage is still up so this must have been a recent change.

Sadly, the food is not nearly as good. Moore's was one of my favorite 'cue joints, not only b/c it was just off 95 but b/c the the pulled pork was outstanding. The new place serves decent pork, but the sides are terrible and the sandwiches are puny.

In addition the owners are extremely religious and insist on flaunting this fact everywhere you look (or listen), which I find extremely obnoxious. Believe what you want to believe, but let me eat in peace...

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6100
    Re:Moore's BBQ in Kenly NC? Mon, 07/12/10 12:01 PM (permalink)
    Tell them what they're serving is holy crap!

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3666
      Re:Moore's BBQ in Kenly NC? Mon, 07/12/10 12:13 PM (permalink)
      Moores has gone out of business.  It is too bad as they served wonderful food  and the employees  were so nice.

Pocosin

• Total Posts: 19
        Re:Moore's BBQ in Kenly NC? Thu, 07/15/10 11:23 AM (permalink)
        Moore's moved to a new location on 301, very close to I-95, a few years ago.  It's in an old Burger King.  It sounds like you went to the old location.

In any case, their barbecue isn't very good and isn't cooked traditionally, and is vastly overrated by tourists who aren't familiar with real eastern NC barbecue. 
        <message edited by Pocosin on Thu, 07/15/10 11:24 AM>

Greymo

Re:Moore's BBQ in Kenly NC? Thu, 07/15/10 11:52 AM (permalink)
          Moores is out of business.  I believe they sold out to someone who has named the place "Stormin Norman" and barbeque is sold there.  I also understand that the new owners had a  truck stop  restaurant at that location at one time and then left.

In my opinion, and that of many others,  Moore's Barbeque was terrifc.  They had a smoke shed behind their bulilding  We have been there many times and we   saw very few tourists.  They were mainly locals.  I am sure that they had more tourists for customers once they moved so close to 1-95, but their food remained just as wonderful.

Pocosin

Re:Moore's BBQ in Kenly NC? Thu, 07/15/10 1:16 PM (permalink)
            Greymo

Moores is out of business.  I believe they sold out to someone who has named the place "Stormin Norman" and barbeque is sold there.  I also understand that the new owners had a  truck stop  restaurant at that location at one time and then left.

In my opinion, and that of many others,  Moore's Barbeque was terrifc.  They had a smoke shed behind their bulilding  We have been there many times and we   saw very few tourists.  They were mainly locals.  I am sure that they had more tourists for customers once they moved so close to 1-95, but their food remained just as wonderful.

Moore's may have had a real pit at their old location, but they most definitely did not after they moved.  I'm sure you saw plenty of locals in there.  My point was that it has an undeserved reputation online because it is convenient for people from out of the area, who generally have a very low level of knowledge about eastern NC barbecue.  If Moore's hadn't been a stone's throw from the Kenly exit, it would have been just another sorry, generic eastern NC bbq place that no one on sites like this would know about.  All of the good places are well off I-95, and most people don't take the time to detour to them.  Roadfood often caters to this crowd with some truly awful recommendations.  They've got Shaw's in Williamston listed as worth planning an entire day around.  LOL. 

Moore's served up the same generic gas-cooked barbecue that you can get at a million other places in eastern NC.  The only thing special about it was its proximity to the interstate.
            <message edited by Pocosin on Thu, 07/15/10 1:18 PM>

Greymo

Re:Moore's BBQ in Kenly NC? Thu, 07/15/10 2:13 PM (permalink)
              Pocosin

.  .  Roadfood often caters to this crowd with some truly awful recommendations. 

So please tell us your choices for GOOD  East Carolina BBQ.

Pocosin

Re:Moore's BBQ in Kenly NC? Thu, 07/15/10 3:42 PM (permalink)
                Greymo

Pocosin

.  .  Roadfood often caters to this crowd with some truly awful recommendations. 

So please tell us your choices for GOOD  East Carolina BBQ.

You can't go wrong with the NC Barbecue Society's Historic Trail:

All of these places cook with either wood or charcoal.  The only eastern style place that cooks with wood that isn't on that list is Blackbeard's, in Conetoe, which is excellent and has great, traditional sides as well as barbecue.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com