The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Mooyah!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
Mooyah! Tue, 08/27/13 12:14 PM (permalink)
Founded only six years ago, the Dallas-based burger chain, Mooyah, has been metastasizing like crazy; they now have over 50 stores in 12 states and are opening soon in Bahrain, Kuwait, Dubai, and Qatar!  

Save for one little thing I would find their success praiseworthy.  The "little thing" is that, like "McDowell's" in the Eddie Murphy movie "Coming to America", their initial "business plan" was a total "rip-off". 

In 2007, before Five Guys got around to expanding into Texas, Mooyah's opened their first store in Plano.  Flat out, it was a Five Guys with a different sign - right down to the store layout, service line, color scheme, menu, fries, bulletin board, and 'free' peanuts-in-the-shell; even their web-site was identical!  The only "differentiation" I could detect was the fact that they served milkshakes. 

I wrote Five Guys about this and they evidently got their lawyers after them, but even now, six years later, you'd swear you were in a peanut-less, milkshake-serving Five Guys.

This guy certainly isn't fooled:

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
    Re:Mooyah! Tue, 08/27/13 12:31 PM (permalink)
    Mr. McDowell!

Mr. Evans on Good Times...

Not gettin' hassled....not gettin' hustled. Keepin' ya head above water....makin' a wave when ya can...
    <message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 08/27/13 12:40 PM>

SeamusD

• Total Posts: 942
      Re:Mooyah! Wed, 08/28/13 10:49 AM (permalink)
      "See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick."

CCinNJ

Re:Mooyah! Wed, 08/28/13 1:03 PM (permalink)
        I'm sure the Five Guys legal team considered or initiated some action in regards to Trademark and/or Trade Dress infringement.

If Mooyah is still operating in the same manner...they (most likely) were smart enough to frame within the lines of what they could do to execute a business vision that reflects characteristics of another very popular business...without breaking any laws. They seem to have done plenty right in their own right in terms of popularity of food/business...beyond that.

It's up to Five Guys to do their CYA or these things happen.

That's business. Love & affection for Five Guys doesn't mean a thing as far as Mooyah.
        <message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 08/28/13 1:08 PM>

MetroplexJim

Re:Mooyah! Wed, 08/28/13 3:34 PM (permalink)
          Back when they started in 2007 I read the initial news story/review in the DMN in which the founders of Mooyah claimed that they were trying to bring some elements of In-n-Out to Dallas - fresh ground beef, yada, yada - but made no mention of Five Guys.

When I visited both their store and web-site I was astounded by the exact duplication of Five Guys:  right down to the menu style & items, pricing, fries style & service, red & white tile, free peanuts, malt vinegar, stacks of cans and potato sacks in the dining area, bulletin board, posted reviews, etc. 

The owners were on-site and I asked them why they hadn't named the place "Five Gals" or "Five Cowboys".  Both of them got red in the face and pretended never to have heard of this "Five Guys"!   But in an area as large and as transient as Dallas I don't know how long they thought they could be so blatant.

In any case, these days the peanuts are gone, the bulletin board has been replaced by a "writing wall", the bags and foil are printed, and they have bottles of A-1 and Lea & Perrins available along with the malt vinegar. 

I wish the Guys would "steal" the A-1 and L&P "idea"!

CCinNJ

Re:Mooyah! Fri, 08/30/13 10:31 AM (permalink)
            If I recall correctly Subway used a very similar pattern (sans chalk) on their walls back in the day (the 80s)...

MetroplexJim

Re:Mooyah! Fri, 08/30/13 10:51 AM (permalink)
              And, I do not see any red & white tile on the walls, either!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com