More from the Twin Cities and Nearby (last update)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3778
2009/05/22 23:23:19 (permalink)

More from the Twin Cities and Nearby (last update)

I just got back from ten days in the lovely Minneapolis-St. Paul area and I have a few spots to tout.  I'm gonna have to do this one in steps though, so be patient.

When we go up to visit it's mostly family stuff, so for every meal out there were probably three or four at somebody's home.  Sadly Dale, none of these meals included either lutefisk or hotdish, but I did have the chance to sample my m-i-l's rhubarb cake, which is basically a yellow cake mix, chopped rhubarb, and a pint of whipping cream.  Pretty awesome, actually.  And we were unfortunately looking for touristy things on the Monday we were there, when the American Swedish Institute is closed (be forewarned, merry travelers).

The first place I have to talk about is probably the best single meal and led to an awfully good eating day thanks to our most excellent waitress.  We were coming into Minneapolis via Cedar Ave. Monday morning and just happened upon Stabby's Cafe at Cedar and 42nd and thought, what the hey:

Now, the menu reflects a lot of thought and personality: http://www.stabbyscafe.com/index_files/Page480.htm  I liked that they sent people looking for Juicy Lucy's to Matt's about eight blocks up.  I liked that they had both PBJs and straight-up Pop-Tarts available for kids who don't want anything else.  Most of all I liked the fact that they had biscuits and sausage gravy, so I ordered that.  But first I tried to talk the waitress into switching one of my biscuits out for one of these in the bake case:

Nothing doing, which turned out to be a happy thing.  Here's my biscuits and gravy:

The gravy on these is top-notch.  The Excellent Waitress said something to the effect of 'if you're from the South it might not be what you expect' and in reality it exceeded what I was expecting.   The gravy had a terrific peppery and piggy taste without being overly heavy or greasy at all, and I would put it in any top 5.   It was delicious.  Julie, who doesn't love eggs, went for the gingerbread pancakes and a side of corned beef hash (in the pic above).  Pancakes as served:

and as buttered and syruped a minute later:

These were also incredible.  I was eating the syruped side and Julie was eating them buttered only; the taste was so spot on.  This was the meal we miss the most after getting home.  I would recommend Stabby's wholeheartedly.

Since Excellent Waitress had been so much help with making recommendations for our order we started chatting about lunch places and the rest of our day.  Here's what I found out.  Stabby's had just opened the prior Thursday in a place that used to be a bakery; she and the owner were previously with the Uptown Bar & Grill.  We told her we were really just goofing around in the city that day and asked if she could recommend a lunch place (near the Walker, which if we'd seen the Walker's t-shirts we would have known was Closed Mondays).  Before I leave Stabby's I have to show you the bake case:

which also had whoopie pies, cookies, and a luscious pecan tart in it.  The playing cards are the way they price things.  Excellent Waitress sent us to two great locations after that.  The first was Lake Harriet, about ten blocks down 42nd, where there's a lovely formal garden, a peace garden, and a walkway all around the lake to the other side, where there's a band shell and boats for rent.  Thanks for that, Excellent Waitress.  From the garden I have to show you a sign for the official Roadfood plant:

After we figured out the Walker was closed, we went to lunch at Excellent Waitress' most heavily recommended spot, True Thai on Franklin Ave:

Here's a shot of the back dining room:

At True Thai we met up with Excellent Waitress, Jr.  (We must have hit the EW trifecta that day or something.  It was crazy.)  We pretty much knew we wanted spring rolls for an appetizer but let her make recommendations from their extensive menu http://truethairestaurant.com/menu-newitems.htm for our entrees.  We got the vegetarian spring rolls:

Hot, crispy and delicious, and whatever's in the bowl is highly drinkable.  Julie is a fan of the wide egg noodle dishes, so she got a pad see yew with shrimp:

And EW Jr. steered me toward a sweet green curry with chicken, which I ordered medium (there's mild, medium, hot and Thai hot for the crazy people):

I subbed out the bell pepper listed on the menu for green beans, and they worked nicely.  Those things that look like mushrooms are actually little Thai eggplant.  It turns out medium is just a hair hotter than just right for me, because even liberal use of the white rice it came with did not help enough to keep me from needing a sweet Thai tea.  Aaaaaaaah.  That was just right.

We went back toward the Walker and strolled around the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden across the street.  I was most intrigued by this, which I have dubbed Lady Who's Not Speaking to Her Coat and Her Judgmental Lip Friend:

More later on!

post edited by Nancypalooza - 2009/05/25 18:03:42

51 Replies Related Threads

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/22 23:51:29 (permalink)
    Very nice start!  I've got a potential trip to The Cities coming up in the near future.  Although I've got some favorites there, established over many visits over many years, it's nice to have some new possibilities under my belt.

Stabby's Cafe, eh?  Wonder what the history behind that name might be.  Something dark, I hope...

Buddy
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 07:51:39 (permalink)
    Nancy, I can't wait for the rest of this report. That food looks great!
    Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 922
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 08:18:02 (permalink)

Well golly! I KNEW my 'Palooza senses were tingling!! should learn to trust those feelings when I get them....So glad you got to Lake Harriet, I grew up on 41st and Queen-right behind the park that's up the hill from the bandstand. did you get a chance to "visit" the public bathroom at the lake? It's from 1890 or so and has a "feeding" room with a round bench that faces a stone fireplace!! ya don't see that everyday....Big YAY on True Thai, I order HOT and then weep for the rest of the day! I've never even Heard of Stabby's and I live like 15 blocks away!! " />  Was it 4 year old friendly? I may have to drag the BOY over there for BISCUITS!!!     
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 08:42:53 (permalink)
    Nancy, as soon as you mentioned that there is no lutefisk in the report, I didn''t bother reading the rest.

Actually, the photos are excellent!  And let me get this straight.....  You drove past a place called Stabby's and thought that was a good place to eat?  Is their logo a knife with blood on the end?  It just strikes me as a strange name to draw people in.  But those biscuits & gravy would definitely draw me in.  And the Thai food looks wonderful, too.

So what do you think her coat did to deserve the silent treatment?  Love the name, btw.
    Looking forward to more!

post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/05/23 08:45:17
    Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 08:49:15 (permalink)
    My guess is that the coat is refusing to be put away...it's only MAY after all!!
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 502
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 09:13:11 (permalink)
    Nancy,

Great report, wonderful pictures, and nice names for the art.  The only part I feel cheated on is not seeing a report on a lutefisk omelet.  I shouldn't joke because I might find out there actually is such a dish.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7669
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 10:01:02 (permalink)
    Nancy,

You're forgiven for no hotdish, but I can never forgive you for forgoing Lutefisk!

Those pancakes at Stabby's look good , however I looked at their menu and no wild rice pancakes or omelettes something I look forward to next year when I re-visit the Twin Cities.

I'm hoping to time my trip next year to experience the American Swedish Institute's Smorgasbord Lunch. Judging by their website, it appears they have them on Sundays.

One thing though- Biscuits and Gravy??? In Minnesota??!!! " />

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 12:04:12 (permalink)
    Great pictures, and I am so pleased you enjoyed your choices...certainly got my stomach grumbling!!
    kkrhmom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 12:50:06 (permalink)
    Wow!!!  I love Thai food and those pictures looked super.  I wish I was closer.  Would love to try some of their food.  Thanks for the great pictures!! 
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 15:09:27 (permalink)
    kkrhmom--we really had a quandary.  It was one of those times I wish I had a ruminant's stomach like Cliff and these guys because there were easily three or four apps and that many entrees at least I wanted to try.  They do have a lunch buffet until 2 every day but we walked in at 1:50, as we are wont to do.

Dale--that's not so weird really when you remember that the Hormel plant is in Austin (I think).  You're still in Porkytown.  Listen, I want a full rundown of the American Swedish Institute--so many folks recommended that to us that now I'm deadly curious.

Buddy, agnes, annie--thanks!  There isn't a ton left but some good stuff nonetheless.

Cliff--my friend Michele thought their logo should be a cherub holding a bloody knife so I'm frightened that you think like she does.  :)  You're going to recognize a slight homage in the next bit--I ripped off a picture from you.

Dawn--my friends say they can smell the evil when I am nearby, so that must have been what you experienced.  I think that place would be totally toddler-friendly.  It really reminded me a lot of Auntie Em's in LA that I just visited.

BT--I have a bad feeling it does exist.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.  :)
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 15:18:22 (permalink)
    Nancy,

Great start for a report. We left the Twin Cities before you got there and we are still on the road. Ignore wanderingjew's misconceptions. True Thai is probably better than he would find elsewhere and those ethnic foods are what is making the Twin Cities a food destination. But if wj truly needs wild rice in his omelets I suggest he go up to Grand Marais on the North Shore near the Canadian border and have breakfast at the Wild Onion. That's where I will be next week attending the North House Folk School outdoor brick oven building course.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 16:02:30 (permalink)
    Davydd

Nancy,

Ignore wanderingjew's misconceptions. True Thai is probably better than he would find elsewhere and those ethnic foods are what is making the Twin Cities a food destination.

What misconceptions. What did I say about Thai Food? Where did I say it on this thread? Come on now, Davydd, your instigating this and you know I have to go on a tirade now!

And now I'm hijacking Nancy's thread and everyone is saying, "oh here he goes again"

I'm sure Minnesota has excellent Thai Food. I can also assure you that Seattle and NYC have some of  the best Thai Food in the country and I'm certain that those who live there will vouch for that and I can vouch for that from first hand experience. I can also assure you that my "local" Thai joint, Sawaddee Restaurant in Providence can stand up to any Thai Restaurant I visited in NYC and Seattle and Minnesota too.

I have these "debates" with my coworkers who insist that Rhode Island (NYC and Boston) included have the best food/restaurants in the country- bar-none. They get extremely defensive when I try to argue that point.

Davydd, when I visit the Twin Cities I'm gonna visit those "touristy" restaurants in the non descript suburban locations  that probably most local's are probably not even familiar with and I'm also going to visit the restaurants that have the "jokes" listed on the menu- even though the jokes are actually available and can be  dished up and served when someone (a tourist of course) actually decides to order one and I'm gonna   eat all the Hot Dish and Scandinavian Food I can lay my hands on- and of course listen to those "accentless" Twin Cities folks who "sohnd just like the people on the nooooohs"...

And I just might head up to Grand Marais and take your advice, and I still want to meet you for a Walleye Sandwich at Tavern On Grand or Breakfast at Hells Kitchen next year

Actually I have much more to say but I figure I've said enough

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 16:25:24 (permalink)
    In defense of WJ, I dont see anything wrong with his post. He never once mentioned Thai food.My opinion is everything was pretty much said tongue in cheek. And by the way, WJ-if you make it to Milwaukee, I have a friend who is from Rhode Island and has found some great out of the way places for excellent Thai in our fair city.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 17:23:35 (permalink)
    Ann,

We're just tweaking. That's what we do in setting up the big meet up next year when the Twins baseball Target Field opens and wj will be coming to the Twin Cities.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 17:44:51 (permalink)
    Davydd

Ann,

We're just tweaking. That's what we do in setting up the big meet up next year when the Twins baseball Target Field opens and wj will be coming to the Twin Cities.

Exactly....I'm gonna get in a Juicy Lucy too next year!

Ann, if I can squeeze Milwaukee into my trip for next year (I'm gonna try) then we can check out that Thai Restaurant after I'm done gorging myself with Brats, Cheesecurds, Frozen Custard and Butter Burgers... BTW I've never had a butter burger before!

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 17:47:24 (permalink)
    Ok-tweaking is good.Sollys butter burgers are darn good.....as is everything else on your list to try.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 18:00:53 (permalink)
    Oh lord, I better post my next bits tonight.  Davydd, I followed your advice really closely and I'm so jealous--we scrapped a trip to GM just because we emailed the World's Best Donuts people and they didn't open until the weekend after we left. ;(
    will_work_4_bbq
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 20:31:44 (permalink)
    Fantastic report so far!  I love your commentary!  And the food pics are outstanding!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/23 22:53:56 (permalink)
    Okey doke, some more.  Keep in mind that I think the organization of this report will not be by when we ate there, but by distance from the Twin Cities, so we're still in Minneapolis proper.

I got a second chance to go back to the Walker (incidentally, that Joseph Beuys?  what a card!) a couple days after Stabby's, so we wandered back downtown, and back onto Franklin St.  First I have to say that I really love big Midwestern cities (Indianapolis is another good example) because they are laid out like farm country--big grids, main thoroughfares, no disappearing/reappearing street names or such East Coast nonsense.  I read the recent Chicago, Minneapolis, etc. thread really closely (http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Road-trip-Chicago-Minneapolis-Madison-Milwaukee-m508090.aspx) and between Cedar, Hennepin and Franklin I saw about half the places mentioned in that thread.  I love navigating a place like that, because I'm just technology-averse enough to not get a GPS or whatever with my car.

Okay, so on Wednesday we settled on Maria's Cafe for lunch.  Maria's is in a stretch of Franklin that hosts a number of social and health services agencies for Native Americans--several public buildings have a particularly lovely painted floral motif on them.  There are also a lot of nearby halal markets--one in particular listed camel meat among its offerings.  So it's very diverse and cool, and I just have to noodge Dale.  I don't think in any of the United States you can get more regionally appropriate than Native American (okay, Maria is Colombian).  Maria's is part of a complex called the Traders' Market; this is the side near the parking lot:

The menu http://www.mariascafe.com/ has lunch and breakfast available simultaneously so I had some choosing to do.  I went with the huevos pericos:

which were delicious, and that homemade salsa is a fiery mouthful.  I think the tortilla might have been fresh too.  Julie took the chicken club:

which was also quite good.  Her only complaint was that the potatoes were on the menu as 'American fries' so she was assuming they were fries.  These are very similar to the potatoes from the Pantry Cafe in Los Angeles except they don't have that serious grill crust and they kind of suffer for it.  A little too much moosh.  The guy at the next table got one of these so we had to have one too:

That is the famous corn pancake--I should have gotten a shot after I cut it.  It's a hoecake studded with little corn kernels, very similar to a cornbread made with creamed corn but much moister.  With some butter and syrup, it's awesome.  I was filling up fast.

A couple nights later, a group of us went to dinner and graciously let me pick from my list.  Since Davydd spoke so highly of the Juicy Lucy at Casper & Runyon's the Nook in St. Paul, that's where we went.  It was a Friday night so we had a little bit of wait, about thirty or forty minutes, but well worth it.  The cute front door:

This is in a neighborhood near Hamline University; the address is Hamline and Randolph (also horribly easy to get to).  I saw this above the wait board:

And I knew I was in for some culinary fun.  I've only had one Juicy Lucy before (a very good one at My Sister's Place in Grand Marais) and Davydd's high praise had me raring to go.  I don't see a site for them, but the menu is fairly uncomplicated: about fifteen burger variations and the same number of chicken/other sandwiches, a few steaks and a Friday night fish fry special.  About four or five of the burgers are Juicy Lucy variations.  Julie got the original:

along with onion rings that she promptly declared better than the burger--and she's a longtime fry girl.  For her to love onion rings, they are Good.  I got the Paul Molitor variation, with pepper jack cheese inside instead of the usual American (I wimped out on chips because I knew I was gonna have space issues):

And inside the Paul Molitor you can see the little cheesy cavern:

The thing I loved most about this burger was that it tasted like a pimento cheeseburger turned inside out.  I threw down on that burger--every bite gone.  It was scrumptious.  Let's see, what else was good.  Another of our companions had the Triple B--standing for bacon, bourbon (flavoring on the bacon I think) and . . barbecue?  I'm not sure, but she loved it.  (I didn't subject hers to pictures.)  One of our number did not like the fact that the Juicy Lucys come pink in the middle--the menu states very clearly that they can only be cooked to medium, I'm assuming to not eviscerate the cheese.  They also have really excellent draft root beer and will make a cherry Coke if you ask.

Okay kids, I've just got a couple more places to talk about that I will get to tomorrow.  Thanks for staying tuned!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/24 08:12:14 (permalink)
    More ethnic food. One thing the Twin Cities is doing, and I think because of the competition, is that restaurants are serving ethnic foods but with strong regional interpretations using organic and locally grown and harvested foods as a centerpiece to the menu. It is a very chef driven competition going on. Ngon Bistro, if you made it there, is a prime example of that.

I love the Nook. It is a good 30 miles from my house but we'll go again when our former neighbors return from New Zealand in late July. The husband of the pair is a Cretin Derham Hall alumni. That is if BuddyRoadhouse doesn't drag me over there sooner. I always say the Nook is the neighborhood bar every neighborhood wished they had.

Nancy, I don't know if I would have let World's Best Donuts keep me away from Grand Marais. They are OK but far from the world's best. OK, maybe the weather. I understand it was 38 in Grand Marais when the Twin Cities hit 97 degrees last week.  Grand Marais has more good eating than almost any town of its size. It is a tourist destination but is not tourists kitschy and almost all the restaurants are independents. I have five days there next week and a chance to hit most places. I've already reported on many of them here.
    post edited by Davydd - 2009/05/24 08:14:10
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/24 09:26:15 (permalink)
    Davydd

I love the Nook. It is a good 30 miles from my house but we'll go again when our former neighbors return from New Zealand in late July...That is if BuddyRoadhouse doesn't drag me over there sooner. I always say the Nook is the neighborhood bar every neighborhood wished they had.

Davydd,

While I share your enthusiasm for The Nook, I might just bring you to The 5-8 Club.  As an overall experience, including ambience, character, and food quality, The Nook is a clear winner.  If we're judging based on food quality alone, the Jucy Lucy in particular, The 5-8 Club, might just have a slight edge.  I'd be happy with either one, of course.  Heck,  I wouldn't mind a return trip to The Lion's Tap!

There was a tentative plan for us to be in Minneapolis this coming week, May 27th-30th, but our distributor dropped the ball in setting up firm commitments for us at Lund's and Byerly's.  We may still show up, but I'm thinking a trip later in the summer might work out better.

One way or another, whenever we show up there, you can bet we'll join you somewhere for at least one Twin Cities-centric meal!

See you soon,

Buddy
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/24 14:41:08 (permalink)
    Great report and some good-looking food, Nancy.  I love the statues, and your interpretation!

My mom used to make something like those corn pancakes.  I'd forgotten all about them.

Can you tell me more about the huevos pericos?
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/24 14:51:58 (permalink)
    I, too would like to know what is in the huevos pericos...I love the burgers at the Nook-my Mom only made cheese stuffed burgers-never on top.I would love to go there!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/24 17:15:58 (permalink)
    If I recall correctly, it's onions, scallions, chopped tomatoes and some kind of pepper cooked into the eggs, and then cheddar on top, with the idea of rolling them into a burrito with the salsa.  They were awesome.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/25 18:02:42 (permalink)
    Okay, now we start to move out of the Cities themselves, and our first stop is in lovely Farmington:

This is my oldest nephew's favorite place to go, possibly in the world.  If you gave him the choice of Disney World, Disneyland, wherever Spider-Man lives, and the Farmington Bakery, he's taking the bakery hands down.  It's a good thing they're only open until 2 every day, that's all I'm saying.  We made about three trips to this little place during our visit, only two of which were photographed.  It's really hard to decide here.  Do I get an adorable bear claw, an apple fritter, or a cinnamon roll?

Over on the other side, there are cupcakes, a really awesome soccer ball cake, Napoleons, brownies, cream horns . .

I don't know what this is but it's making me nervous and my palms sweaty just looking at it:

We tried to listen to the folks coming in--a steady stream all three times--but each day the prized object du jour was different.  One day it was the peanut donut--the lady who seemed in charge suggested that they get there earlier.  One day it was the apple fritter.  So we mixed it up.  Our first box:

contained, from the left, a cinnamon sugar cake donut, a sugar cake, a powdered sugar cake all nestling the apple turnover, and to the right the item that became my favorite, the orange blossom.  The orange blossom is apparently the not-made-in-hell version of those Pillsbury things in the whack-it can in the refrigerator section of the grocery store.  This one is crispy, and the icing interlaced in it is surprisingly tangy.  Delicious.  Our second trip gave us this:

(Cliff, that's your ripoff picture--I admired one much like it a couple months back.)  Here you see another sugar cake, a cake with chocolate frosting, and an 'old fashioned' (their crispy sour cream-batter donut), all holding up the ponderous weight of a blueberry flake turnover.  The old fashioned was the standout in this bag for me, although the blueberry was still good two days later.

Oh wait, we added to this bag.  Julie had to run back in when she realized they had these:

This was a really nice, moist cheese danish.  She did not like the relative moistness of their cake donuts, but I thought of it more as a strength than a weakness.  All in all their stuff is very good, and in some specific cases--the orange blossom, their chocolate frosting, the apple turnover--results in donut bliss.  You've seen donut bliss before, haven't you?  It looks a little bit like this:

Oh, and their prices are awesome too.  On the last trip, the unphotographed one, I came away with I think fifteen pieces in the large box, two cupcakes and a large coffee, and I think my charge was $11.

We took a couple of short hikes in Nerstrand Big Woods State Park, nestled amongst farms in the area around Northfield.  Northfield is a college town--home to Carleton and St. Olaf Colleges--and has an adorable small riverfront downtown bustling with shops and restaurants.  One of the shop owners suggested a place I wouldn't have looked at twice for ice cream, the Hogan Bros. Acoustic Cafe.  It's a large space serving sandwiches and soups, with a stage in the back, and they have a small ice cream freezer to the left of the register.  The person who recommended it said something about good flavors, and we're glad we took their recommendation.  These are the Toasted Almond and Raspberry Dream cones:

The Toasted Almond was a nice muddy chocolate full of nuts and the Raspberry Dream (there's another word in front of it and for the life of me I can't remember) was delicious.  The nephew got Brownie Batter, a sticky, chewy chocolate that tastes exactly like its name.  We split a cookie between us as well.  Let's get the nephew's opinion:

Let's see, where else did I go.  I had a meal at the Thunder Bar in Good Thunder (about 100 miles out of the Cities), and unfortunately I can't recommend it to you.  The burgers were overcooked to the point of being chewy, I'm not sure how long ago the walleye was caught.  It might have been an off night.  We did, however, enjoy an appetizer called a trash basket:

That's onion rings, fried cauliflower florets, fried mushrooms, tater tots and fried cheese curds all in one bowl of Crestor goodness.  The cauliflower was terrific, as were the onion rings and cheese curds.  And it's served with a bowl of hot processed cheese dip.  Quite delicious.

Now, this next entry is straight-up cheating, because I actually ate here last August, but we're in the geographical area so I'm going to hop-on to my own trip report.  I want to tell you guys about the Dam Store in Rapidan, MN:

It's exactly what it sounds like.  It's a little luncheonette/general store/bait shop situated right in front of a concrete dam, with a small playground out front.  When we were there, there was some kind of hullaballoo going on about closing a campground, and I'm not sure how that turned out.  But we were there for burgers and pie.  It's a pretty small place with a dining room in back that feels tacked on.  Here's their menu board:

But you can pretty much leave it to their burgers, shakes and pie.  A cheeseburger (love that slab of grilled onion) and a vanilla shake:

and their sour cream raisin pie (sorry about the bit of fuzzy):

Their fries are just OK--you know, food service fries--and sodas (wait, I mean pop) are served in cans.  But their burgers are yummy, fresh off the grill and delicious, and their shakes and pies are homemade and you can tell.  Next time I visit I want to talk them into making me a pie-shake.

Hope you enjoyed reading about this stuff as much as I enjoyed eating it!
    agnesrob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1790
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/25 18:09:23 (permalink)
    Nancy, wonderful report! Thanks for posting it.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/25 19:34:23 (permalink)
    Wow-I just had a huge feast and these last pictures made my stomach growl...great report, Nancy
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/25 19:47:18 (permalink)
    Fuzzy or not, that sour cream raisin pie looks fantastic-

By the way I've noticed an obsession with Tater Tots in the Northland- seriously- I'm not talking about hot dish- it seems alot of restaurants  have tater tots on the menu- something I really don't see in the rest of the country.

Ahi Mpls.
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:More from the Twin Cities and Nearby 2009/05/26 08:34:55 (permalink)
      Oh! that  "Donut and child reunion" pic. is so sweet I'm gonna cry...   and that's an Excellent Big-boy carseat, my son pointed it out to me!!   Fab trip Ma'am, thanks for sharing.    and WJ,  TOTS ROCK!! 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1