Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4593
2008/08/14 08:06:59 (permalink)

More on Good Airport Food ...

Flying Food

By Margaret Heffernan

Before subjecting yourself to airline food, check the airport. You might love what you find ...

http://www.valleyadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=3291

23 Replies Related Threads

jaylhorner
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 430
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/08/14 16:40:21 (permalink)
    A rare exception!
    catnhatnh
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/08/17 09:37:30 (permalink)
    For a nice take on airport food click on
    flying-food.com

The link will take you to an interactive US map with info and reviews of the food available at or within walking diatance of many airports. Each reviewed restaurant is rated from 1-5 stars. My place (Mustang Grille in Rochester NH) received 1 short review and 4 stars...

Most of the places rated are at small general aviation and smaller regional airports, but for a roadfood fan it opens a whole new window into a wealth of food info.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13477
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/08/19 04:18:49 (permalink)
    The Atlanta airport has really upgraded their food selection. They are almost complete with a remodel of every concourse and for the most part, what is offered is very good.

The restroom upgrade which was badly needed is also a very welcome item.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/08/19 22:17:02 (permalink)
    Is there a decent place for breakfast at LAX?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5049
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/08/23 16:56:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon

I don't think there is a decent, anything at LAX.
    C Turner Joy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/08/23 18:04:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Twinwillow

quote:

There is a Jody Maroni's. It doesn't suck. Though the counter crew is often surly.

As for breakfast, I don't know. Sorry.

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/08/24 20:42:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Twinwillow

quote:

I 2nd that comment! I've been to LAX plenty of times, and even worked there for a few years. There really is'nt anything remarkable.
    I worked for United Airlines, and in Terminal 6 and 7, there was'nt much; no good food courts like in Minneapolis and Detroit airports.
    You had the Burger King, Ruby's Diner, (not bad; part of a "beachy" Southern Cal. chain), and a few random sandwich/salad/scrambled egg type fast service places.

In Terminal 1 (where Southwest and US Air is), there is a California Pizza Kitchen take out place, if you're in a fix. They may still have those breakfast style pizzas there.

If you have time before you even get to the airport, you're better off stopping at one of the many burger/breakfast fast food (but made to order) type places, like the Mel'O Burger on Century Blvd (just a few miles west of LAX)
    I've had their burger a few times, and I believe they serve breakfast, as well... picnic type tables outside. Not a pretty place, but it's got character. Heuvos rancheros anyone?
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/11/11 13:15:56 (permalink)
    At the Palm Beach International Airport PBI two local restaurants have outlets in the terminal; Rooney's, an irish pub type and Nick's Tomato Pie; an italian upscale fast food. Both are good values with serving good food.
    jzwagar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/11/11 13:57:36 (permalink)
    There's a restaurant called Jimmy's in the Denver airport that makes me look forward to connecting through the Mile High City. It's a great place for breakfast with a variety of home-made breads, great breakfast potatoes, big portions and reasonable prices. Don't think I've ever had a non-breakfast meal there.
    Run2Eat
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 91
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/11/11 14:46:04 (permalink)
    My typical airport meal consists of olives and celery stalks. I’ll sometimes have 3 or 4 of these such meals in a row while waiting for boarding time.
    easy1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/11/11 14:58:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Flying Food

By Margaret Heffernan

Before subjecting yourself to airline food, check the airport. You might love what you find ...

http://www.valleyadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=3291

Reagan Nat'l - 5 Guys Burgers, awesome! I ordered a double with cheese, and large fries, that meal lasted me all the way to LAX with a stop in Denver!

LAX has a faux diner that has decent breakfast, not cheap, but they cook to order.

I was just in Jacksonville, FL and had a patty-melt at Sam Sneads Pub, it was really good!

Boston's Logan has a Jasper White Summer Shack in the Delta terminal, and a Legal Seafood in B and C terminals.

SF Airport has sourdough bread to fly home with, I always get two loaves for my family.

My favorite ever was a home-made BBQ beef sandwich from the lunch counter at the Kalamazoo airport, I think it cost me $4.00, and was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had.
    tracy20
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/11/11 15:18:25 (permalink)
    Our new airport here in Indianapolis will open tonight for the first time, and it is AWSOME! We will now have a Shapiro's Deli in the airport (which is a roadfood favorite) a St. Elmo's steakhouse will also be there along with a Nascar and Indy 500 themed sports bar. I can hardly wait to fly again so I can try all the great Indiana favorites under one rooF!
    FriedClamFanatic
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1623
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2008/11/12 05:41:52 (permalink)
    I just had to go through Miami airport bothways on a trip to Barbados (GREAT food, but expensive there)

The airport has nothing of interest inside of security - visually or culinary. If you have the time, go through security and in terminal E or D ( I forget) find the hotel at the airport and take the elevator to the 7th floor for tohe Top of the Port restaurant. The food there is good, not fantastic, but it is a welcomed change of pace from most airport eateries. The portions are large!

One caveat.....we got there at about 11:30. It was a nice quiet tranquil place to have a drink and lunch before our next flight. About 12:05, the place starts to fill up with folks that work at the airport - obviously it is a ritual- communal tables, the wait-person automatically brings take-out containers to them and separate checks abound. You get to eat surrounded by gun toting Custom officers and pretty bi-lingual reservation clerks. By 12:20. the place is packed!
    By 1:15, it all starts to quiet down again. (all those locals eating there was probably a good sign........most had the specials, and most had a plastic take-home box delivered -don't know if you could get them back through security)

However, the view is nice, the food good, and it makes for a nice respite in an airport that is otherwise the dregs. Miami really needs to think about their airport.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2011/03/05 23:00:09 (permalink)
    Good article in Usairways magazine listing the(so Called)15 Best airport Bites.  

I usually try to avoid airport food, but whenever I fly through Charlotte, I always make room for Brookwood Farms BBQ(Carolina BBQ).  I love it!  And that's the only place I have tried out of the Top 15.

But, I just flew from Providence, and the oyster bar there is second to none.
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1270
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2011/03/06 14:16:06 (permalink)
    There is a little known (and not there all the time) place used by cab drivers at New Jersey's Newark Airport (note I have not been there in a couple of years; information may have changed). Next to Terminal A, there's a parking lot used by buses and taxis. The signs are No Parking, but that is in contrast with the "No Standing" signs throughout the rest of the airport. And there is a little lunch truck with great, fresh made burgers and fries (I don't know about the rest of the food; all I've had are the burgers and fries). Even if you're picking up someone, you put your car near the wagon, and either send a passenger to get food, or take your chances and get it yourself (in many trips, I have not seen a single car with the owner present get a ticket). Also, if you're picking up someone, it's a great place to wait for the passenger to arrive. Otherwise, if you're at Terminal A, you just walk out and get some inexpensive, fresh, good food.

Bart
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2011/03/06 15:15:08 (permalink)
    At MIA in concourse-D there is a Counter Burger.  That's the upscale burger chain that Ellen4641 raved about.

There also is a La Carreta, the family-dining cuban restaurant chain owned by the people who own Versailles on Calle Ocho in Little Havana.

Also, there are a few Cafe Versaille coffee shops, also by the above-mentioned group.  Espresso, pastries, empanadas, pastelitos, "World Famous" ham/chicken croquettes, coffee & breakfast items.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2011/03/30 16:45:00 (permalink)
    joerogo

Good article in Usairways magazine listing the(so Called)15 Best airport Bites.  

I usually try to avoid airport food, but whenever I fly through Charlotte, I always make room for Brookwood Farms BBQ(Carolina BBQ).  I love it!  

Agreed and just posted about such here.  
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3905
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2011/03/31 02:08:14 (permalink)
    If I remember correctly, when I last flew through Charlotte several years ago I did have time to grab a delicious pulled pork sandwich at the airport. That must have been the place!
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2011/03/31 09:21:49 (permalink)
    The March issue of USAir magazine has listing of 50 decent places to eat at 50 different airports.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4512
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2011/03/31 10:36:54 (permalink)

I hear rumor that the best airport food in the world is in Portland, OR.  Is this true?  Anyone been there, Mr. Chips, Ralph Voss?

Here is the link and the full article from Usairways Magazine march edition.

Link 15 Best Airport Bites

April White

JFK
    John F. Kennedy International Airport, New York City 
    Deep Blue Sushi
    Yellowtail sashimi, Kobe beef tataki roll, miso-glazed seabass, and duck meatballs with foie gras — in an airport? Noted chef Michael Schulson breaks all the rules of jetway restaurants with his of-the-moment menu, cool blue decor, and a leisurely pace best for long layovers. For those with a less forgiving itinerary, there’s sushi-to-go at Deep Blue on the Fly. Find this fare in Terminal 5.

IAD
    Dulles International Airport, Washington, D.C.
    Vino Volo
    Raise a glass to Vino Volo for catering to the wine-loving traveler with a notable wine list, a light menu, and a quiet escape amid the chaos of the concourse. Look for the wine bar on Concourses B and C. Not flying through Dulles? The successful concept has expanded to a dozen U.S. airports. 
    vinovolo.com

CLT
    Charlotte Douglas International Airport
    Brookwood Farms BBQ
    This is the kind of barbecue that evokes images of a seasoned pit master carefully tending ribs slow-cooking over smoldering charcoal — even amid the bustle of an airport food court. Find this great BBQ in the Atrium. brookwoodfarms.com

LGA
    LaGuardia Airport, New York City
    Custom Burgers by Pat LaFrieda 
    NYC butcher Pat LaFrieda brings the gourmet burger craze to LaGuardia, providing his signature ground beef blend for these affordable griddle-cooked patties. Bonus: the crisp fried pickles served up like french fries. Chow down in Terminal D.

MIA
    Miami International Airport
    La Carreta
    Known for its generous portions and lively dining room, La Carreta is a taste of Little Havana in Miami’s Concourse D. If the ever-present cafeteria line is as long as the one at security, order a pressed Cuban sandwich from the to-go counter.  lacarreta.com

ORD
    Chicago O’Hare International Airport
    Tortas Frontera
    The reason we’re planning a lunchtime layover at O’Hare: the warm, crisp Mexican tortas and fresh lime margaritas from celebrated Chicago chef Rick Bayless’s new Tortas Frontera. Give this hotspot a try in Terminal 1.

SFO
    San Francisco International Airport
    Anchor Brewing Company
    Because you can’t leave without another pint of the city’s hometown beer, there’s Anchor Brewing Company’s airport outpost, pouring their small-batch brews until your final boarding call. Taste for yourself in Terminal 3. anchorbrewing.com

ATL
    Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport
    One Flew South
    This fine eatery touts itself as “the first upscale dining experience at the world’s busiest airport.” And that would be correct. One Flew South whisks you away from the crowds into a serene space. If your schedule allows you to concentrate on the menu rather than the clock, indulge in pecan-dusted scallops, thyme-roasted pork belly, and a classy cocktail. There are to-go options if you aren’t lucky enough to have a long layover. Look for One Flew South in Concourse E. oneflewsouthatl.com

SEA
    Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
    Dish D’Lish
    Seattle chef Kathy Casey knows just what you’re craving en route: fresh and tasty sandwiches and salads. At Dish D’Lish’s airport locations, travelers on the run should know that everything can be packaged to go. Find this fresh fare in both the Central Terminal and the Ticketing Level in the Main Terminal. kathycasey.com

PHL
    Philadelphia International Airport
    Chickie’s & Pete’s
    At the airport outposts of this well-loved Philly sports bar, do as the natives do: Order up a lager and Chickie’s & Pete’s famous Old Bay–dusted “crab fries.” Or opt for a classic Philly cheese-steak. And if there’s a game on, feel free to boo the TV. Look for these great tastes in Terminals C, E, and A-West. chickiesandpetes.com

AUS
    Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
    The Salt Lick
    The best souvenir of Austin? Sausage, ribs, and brisket from the city’s classic barbecue restaurant. Now you can enjoy it in the West Concourse. saltlickbbq.com

LAX
    Los Angeles International Airport
    Pink’s 
    For more than 70 years, Pink’s hot dog stand has been an L.A. institution. The International Terminal may not have the same charm as the fabulously retro original in Hollywood, but it does have those deliciously messy chili cheese dogs.pinkshollywood.com

BOS
    Boston Logan International Airport
    Legal’s Test Kitchen 
    You can enjoy excellent seafood sandwiches to go, but it doesn’t take much longer to settle into the dining room for a creamy cup of Legal’s Test Kitchen’s well-loved clam chowder. A wireless credit-card terminal lets you settle up quickly and catch your flight. Look for Legal’s in Terminal A. 
    legalseafoods.com

CVG
    Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport
    Gold Star Chili
    This chili is a Cincinnati staple — and it’s really good. Order a bowl three-way (with spaghetti and cheddar), four-way (add onions or beans), or five-way (all of the above). You’ll find this hearty meal in Terminal 3. goldstarchili.com

PHX
    Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
    El Bravo
    The El Bravo in Phoenix’s Sunnyslope neighborhood is a must for any visitor, but its famed tamales are also available at the Phoenix airport in Terminal 4. It’s not unusual to spot someone packing a carry-on with a dozen tamales. One taste and you’ll do the same.

post edited by joerogo - 2011/03/31 10:38:30
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2359
    RE: More on Good Airport Food ... 2011/03/31 11:10:39 (permalink)
    Joe, I don't fly out of Portland, always Seattle for me. Did you try some of the places at Seatac when you visited last year ???? We always stop at Anthony's for Fish & chip and chowder, sometimes Cioppino. I was in Saltlake City airport last year, they had Wolfgang Pucks place there, they did a great job with the pizza and salads...........I think most places are doing a great job, not our fathers airport foods of the past.................PNWC
    Williamsburger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 395
    Re:More on Good Airport Food ... 2012/02/01 10:31:20 (permalink)
    Found this article on this subject. May or may not be roadfood.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203806504577179211936089798.html?mod=wsj_share_tweet_bot
    bartl
    • Total Posts : 1270
    Re:More on Good Airport Food ... 2012/02/05 15:51:00 (permalink)
    I drove for a limo service part time in the New York City area several years ago. If you are picking up someone in the airport, here are the best bets for good and not too expensive (especially if their fight is delayed, and you don't want to have to pay the ridiculous parking fees):

1) Newark Airport: Hands down, if it's there when you get it, there's a great lunch wagon outside of Terminal A, in the bus stop area. And, although you can't park there, it's the about the only area of the airport which is not "no standing", and the cops won't bother you if you are getting food. Best bet: the burgers.

2) La Guardia Airport: Leave the airport, go to the local diners. Plenty of parking on the streets.

3) Kennedy: That's problematic. There are a few places where you can sit in the car and wait, but not places where you can get food unless you're parked. And the terminals are so far apart from each other that you are kind of stuck where you are. But if you happen to be at Terminal 4 (the international one), you can pretend you are a TSA agent and eat at the Subway there, where they honor the advertised specials (such as $5 footlongs).

Bart
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1