Morrison's

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2003/12/03 13:00:24 (permalink)

Morrison's

Does anyone remember Morrison's cafeterias, a chain in the South? We used to eat there in the 70's. Do they still exist?

30 Replies Related Threads

scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/03 13:33:38 (permalink)
    I believe that Morrison's was bought out by the Piccadilly chain !!

We have some Piccadilly's and some K&W's cafeterias in Columbia SC.

Ashley Wilkes
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/03 13:36:31 (permalink)
    Yes, the Morrison Cafeteria chain was bought by Piccadilly Cafeterias several years ago. Morrison's had gotten really bad and I stopped eating there a long time ago.

Piccadilly began renaming the Morrison's to Piccadilly, but said it would do so over a period of time. So the Morrison name may still be around in some places, but it's just a matter of time before it's gone.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/03 15:51:26 (permalink)
    We went to Morrison's when we lived in Charlotte in the '70s. We will drop in on a Piccadilly down in Baton Rouge when we get down there and chow down on their crawfish etouffee.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/05 20:37:38 (permalink)
    That's too bad to hear -- Morrison's was a great place. My elderly and retired in-laws sure miss the one that used to be in Venice, FL!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/06 21:10:40 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if anyone remembers, because it came and went so quickly, but there was actually a Morrison's Cafeteria in the food court of the Moorestown Mall for a short time in the 90s...I don't think I ever went to it because I always gave in to Nathan's (which is still there), and now I regret it.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/06 21:43:05 (permalink)
    In November I posted the following comments to a forum on defunct restaurant chains:

Morrison's, a Knoxville, Tennessee company was purchased by Piccadilly Cafeterias Inc., a Baton Rouge company in the late 90s. In Lexington, Morrison's was a popular and busy cafeteria with a loyal base of regulars, including many retirees. Lots of people enjoyed meeting there when they were feeling hungry and wanting some southern cooking. I had supper at the one near me at least once a week for years, usually with a bunch of friends.

Morrison's prices here were always reasonable and they had good specials for those on limited income. One dinner special in 1996: choice of an entree, 2 vegetables, salad, bread, butter, and dessert for $5.25). You would choose one of 7 or 8 entrees and could replace the salad with another vegetable. Lexington had three Morrison's and the cooking was good. Their staff was friendly and servers soon learned your name. The restaurants were clean and pleasant and they sold good, fresh pies to take home at bargain prices.

Well, as is often the tale, Piccadilly brought their way of doing things, their menu, and over priced food. Very quickly their customer base shrank at all locations. I ate at Piccadilly's about 4 times before swearing off. I didn't like most of their food and sent fried grouper back twice. I remember walking by my former Morrison's in a mall near my home last spring. The dining room was practically empty at 6 PM on a Friday night. Picadilly closed that location a few days later. All the Piccadilly stores here are closed. They just simply blew it.

I lost an argument over being short-changed at my Picadilly, even after proving it. The English challenged cashier was a hopeless case and I gave up.

I really miss Morrison's; when someone mentions their name, we all admit to still feeling sad they're gone. Lexington currently has no public cafeteria.

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/06 23:34:28 (permalink)
    When I was in Mobile earlier this year for a BBQ contest, there was a Morrison's there and still open.

I should also point out that Picadilly just closed two of their three locations here in the St. Petersburg and Clearwater area. They were the units that were in malls. The only location they kept open is one in a small strip mall in St. Pete.

John
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/07 05:32:27 (permalink)
    In cafeteria's it is perfectly alright to carry your own tray. Management and staff would prefer you don't. The tray carriers distribute people envenly for the wait staff who may not necessarily carry trays.

Often the person carrying one's tray and removing its contents to a table is not the person offering subsequent service like delivering condiments and refills. Because of this, I sometimes felt uncomfortable tipping only one of the two.

So, one day, I asked an experienced server about proper tipping protocol in cafeterias. She said that "technically" (I remember her using the word), the customer should tip both. I'm a good tipper, but I didn't like this idea one bit.

I finally decided my tip belongs to the runner and I ask that individual for condiments before they depart. I also try to catch that individual for refills later on.

If I take my own tray to a table, I tip the server who waits on me from that point on.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/07 09:18:26 (permalink)
    My mom used to drag me to Morrison's when I was a kid. We had one inside the shopping mall. The food was so-so, but I learned to love the cafeteria life. I remember I always ordered the fried shrimp and strawberry pie, which I thought were the best things on the menu. Mom always ordered sole almandine.
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/07 10:20:02 (permalink)
    I knew that Picadilly bought Morrison's out but I was under the impression that Morrison's HQ was in Mobile. Whichever the case, I have very fond memories of eating at Morrison's many Sundays after church when growing up in Montgomery, Alabama. We were exactly rolling in money when I was a kid and eating out was a big deal. I remember especially well trout amondine (made with speckled trout), broiled fish, and thin slices of turkey over dressing. When I went away to college Morrison's in Tuscaloosa was on University Blvd. and provided a healthy doss of vegetables to counteract the normal college student meals. Sorry to see Morrison's pass from the scene.
    M&M
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/07 10:22:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by M&M

I knew that Picadilly bought Morrison's out but I was under the impression that Morrison's HQ was in Mobile. Whichever the case, I have very fond memories of eating at Morrison's many Sundays after church when growing up in Montgomery, Alabama. We were not exactly rolling in money when I was a kid and eating out was a big deal. I remember especially well trout amondine (made with speckled trout), broiled fish, and thin slices of turkey over dressing. When I went away to college Morrison's in Tuscaloosa was on University Blvd. and provided a healthy doss of vegetables to counteract the normal college student meals. Sorry to see Morrison's pass from the scene.

Oops, left out an important modifier. That is we were NOT exactly rollingin money . . . .
    mrjimi
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/07 11:33:14 (permalink)
    When I was a kid back un the fifties,(boy that's a long time ago),I knew we made it south,( Florida from New York) when we were in the land of Morrison's, Stuckey's and South of the Border in Dillon,SC.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Morrison's 2003/12/07 18:54:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by M&M

quote:
    Originally posted by M&M

I knew that Picadilly bought Morrison's out but I was under the impression that Morrison's HQ was in Mobile. Whichever the case, I have very fond memories of eating at Morrison's many Sundays after church when growing up in Montgomery, Alabama. We were not exactly rolling in money when I was a kid and eating out was a big deal. I remember especially well trout amondine (made with speckled trout), broiled fish, and thin slices of turkey over dressing. When I went away to college Morrison's in Tuscaloosa was on University Blvd. and provided a healthy doss of vegetables to counteract the normal college student meals. Sorry to see Morrison's pass from the scene.

Oops, left out an important modifier. That is we were NOT exactly rollingin money . . . .

I have never liked cafeterias..........I can never make up my mind and as a result, end up with nothing on my tray. But I will remember Morrisons for one thing and that is their sweet potato pie......I never had tasted sweet potato pie until I went to a Morrison's and I just loved it. Sadly, the recipe that they have online as being Morrison's sweet potato pie does not taste anything like the pie I remember.
    colt45
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Morrison's 2004/06/05 21:19:42 (permalink)
    Morrison's was a great cafeteria, but growing up in Louisiana Picadilly has always been my favorite.
    Cafeteria Food to me is one of the most wonderful eating experiences I have ever had, both as a kid & now as an old man ( 53).
    Sure I've eaten at the Palm, Morton's, Ruth Chris, etc. etc., but I always love a great meal at Picadilly.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Morrison's 2004/06/07 12:47:42 (permalink)
    When I was a kid in the late-70's and early 80's, my parents took me to the Morrisons' locations in Bowling Green, Ky., and Carbondale, Ill. I imagine both are long gone.

On the other hand, I noticed that the A&W root beer restaurant where I had a terrible hamburger on a family vacation in Loveland, Colo., in 1980, is still open! (I wanted a root beer float, but my dad, a stickler for proper eating at lunches, insisted that I order the burger.)
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Morrison's 2004/06/07 12:56:17 (permalink)
    Here in Gainesville we have two Picadilly locations, one is in a mall the other not. I actually like their food and the staff is always friendly. I can never make my mind up between the liver and onions or a couple of slices off of the large, usually rare roast of beef. I get both..
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Morrison's 2004/06/07 13:43:42 (permalink)
    We used to have a Morrisons in our local Mall. It was the ideal place to go eat after Sunday worship service. It closed several years ago.
    I went to several Picadillys while traveling but I was never that impressed with them.
    shanklemsw
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Morrison's 2004/06/12 08:14:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mrjimi

When I was a kid back un the fifties,(boy that's a long time ago),I knew we made it south,( Florida from New York) when we were in the land of Morrison's, Stuckey's and South of the Border in Dillon,SC.

You never sausage a place! At Pedro's you're always a wiener!
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Morrison's 2004/06/12 14:16:41 (permalink)
    up until the very end,Morrison's in Tampa(now a piccadilly) always had good fried chicken and mac and cheese.......now that it is piccadilly, I have only eaten there once and it was OK.....I personally do not like caf's as after my three years in the Army(many moons ago) I vowed never to stand in line or eat from a tray ever again, an almost impossible resolution to keep
    jjen0926
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Morrison's 2004/06/29 08:43:25 (permalink)
    They used to drop all the senior citizens at the Morrisons in Florence, SC when they were going into town for their dentures! We used to laugh at them "gumming their food" at Morrisons.
    As for Pedro - that was the only billboards that had a Vega attached to it!
    clemspal
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Morrison's 2004/07/09 22:58:56 (permalink)
    morrison's were a staple of life in the south , at least from the early 60's . i grew up eating with relatives at the old place in downtown savannah , right on one of the squares . it wasn't a trip to morrison's without a slice of custard pie . there was also a nice "store" in downtown orlando . i'd give a LOT of money to sit down at a morrison's with those old-timers ..........
    PCC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    RE: Morrison's 2004/07/10 00:58:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clemspal

morrison's were a staple of life in the south , at least from the early 60's . i grew up eating with relatives at the old place in downtown savannah , right on one of the squares . it wasn't a trip to morrison's without a slice of custard pie . there was also a nice "store" in downtown orlando . i'd give a LOT of money to sit down at a morrison's with those old-timers ..........

That brought back memories. I used to eat at Morrison's in Lexington, KY, with my mother. I'd give anything to be able to relive one of those times.
    burddog
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Morrison's 2004/07/19 00:06:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by M&M

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by M&M

I have never liked cafeterias..........I can never make up my mind and as a result, end up with nothing on my tray. But I will remember Morrisons for one thing and that is their sweet potato pie......I never had tasted sweet potato pie until I went to a Morrison's and I just loved it. Sadly, the recipe that they have online as being Morrison's sweet potato pie does not taste anything like the pie I remember.
    rmcielwain
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 613
    RE: Morrison's 2004/07/26 21:57:12 (permalink)

I used to go to the Morrison's in Dothan, AL (this was "downstairs"
    in the mall) with my grandparents a lot: liked the fish almondine.
    They used to have one in the Panama City Mall; Picadilly took it
    over, and then about a year and a half ago, Barnhill's Country Buffet
    took its place (which I agree with, since I celebrated my birthday
    there!)
    twodales
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Morrison's 2004/07/26 22:46:37 (permalink)
    When we used to go to Florida for vacation in the 60's-70's we would eat dinner at Morrison's a few times. Everyone could get what they wanted and it was a little like home cooking.

The last time I went was on a business trip to Atlanta in the late 80's. Went with a friend to a local mall. I got quite a "buzz" from going there and I remember well the two choices in ice tea that were brought around to our table with great regularity: sweetened or not.

Thanks for the memories...
    madcat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Morrison's 2004/07/29 10:20:24 (permalink)
    Hey, I just ate at picadilly square restaurant in the oglethorpe mall here in savannah,GA. and they got a big black and white photo of a Morrisons cafeteria in birmingham,AL. foods still lousy but cheap.
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Morrison's 2004/07/29 11:04:37 (permalink)
    Two dales, Anywhere that you eat in the South, they wait staff always bring around the 2 choices of iced tea, sweet or unsweet.
    This is still a practice at almost any restaurant that you go to
    quote:
    Originally posted by twodales

When we used to go to Florida for vacation in the 60's-70's we would eat dinner at Morrison's a few times. Everyone could get what they wanted and it was a little like home cooking.

The last time I went was on a business trip to Atlanta in the late 80's. Went with a friend to a local mall. I got quite a "buzz" from going there and I remember well the two choices in ice tea that were brought around to our table with great regularity: sweetened or not.

Thanks for the memories...
    queenb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Morrison's 2004/07/31 09:26:08 (permalink)
    I remember a huge freestanding Morrison's restaurant that was somewhere near the Atlanta Airport in the 60's, when I was a little kid.It was much fancier than the ones I remember later. My grandparents and parents would take us up there (we lived about 20 miles away) after church a few times a year, and I remember the serving line that was not only long inside but went all the way out the door. This particular Morrison's had these great big fake Greek or Roman statues, and a big globe sculpture, as well as fake columns against the walls. I don't really remember much about the food except my Dad would always get fried shrimp,a really big plate of it. I was always overwhelmed by the variety of food myself! Does anyone else remember this one?
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Morrison's 2004/07/31 12:12:06 (permalink)
    I ate at a Morrison's in Columbia South Carolina once- the meat the three veggie thing. It was OK, better than Shoney's or Maurice's which were the only choices back then.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1