Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped

Author
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 379
2013/12/16 11:43:35 (permalink)

Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped

Wow. Here's a case where a little common sense from a manager could have gone a long way. Unfortunately, the common sense was lacking and now Morton's is paying a price in bad publicity, in spades. This little group of reviews, (all from people who were in the offended party) is going viral all over the internet. I am thinking that someone's career dissipation light is going into overdrive. This is not the kind of publicity any eatery wants or needs.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/m...khouse-nashville 

13 Replies Related Threads

brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1109
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/16 11:52:25 (permalink)
    Am I missing something here? What is/was the big deal about someone wearing a hat? 
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5069
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/16 11:59:48 (permalink)
    A cancer patient put on a small wool cap to help keep warm.  Morton's apparently has a "no hats" policy that was in this particular instance a bit over-enforced.

However, based on the given locations of some of the reviewers I suspect there may be a little bit of piling on by people who have no involvement with the situation or this specific restaurant.
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/12/16 12:01:13
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/16 12:03:06 (permalink)
    Interesting story. Obviously the manager needs to have a different job, something where she does not have to relate to other human beings. Plus, I've never heard that a wool cap is a prohibited item. I'm assuming Morton's will do the right thing for these people as well as maybe make a visible donation to the American Cancer Society. A little compassion would not have been a difficult thing for the manager. 
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4088
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/16 12:10:14 (permalink)
    Interesting.

Morton's is owned by Landry.

The Landry Restaurant Group is HQ'd in Texas.

In Texas many gentlemen wear their grey felt 'dress hats' while dining.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/16 12:33:53 (permalink)
    A Nashville TV station is following the story.  It'll be interesting to see what shakes out.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2629
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/16 13:25:58 (permalink)
    These days you can't win. If Morton's shows discretion in allowing a hat in this case, they could be accused of profiling the next time they refuse to seat someone with a hat.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15274
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/16 19:22:57 (permalink)
    We endured one experience at the Louisville Morton's and would NEVER consider going again.  The arrogance of the staff was far beyond 'Rude'. This was not limited to our server(s), but the Hostess and the Manager all went out of their way to treat us like the poor country 'Beverly Hill-billy' customer they wanted to get out of their classy establishment ASAP.  We more than exceded the dress requirements and did not violate any behavior code...but requesting soft drinks insteead of the wine-steward seemed to put us in the 'ignorant rube' catagory by ALL of the staff.

I believe that Morton's Uses the Snobish Attitude and Arrogance as part of their staff training program to build the image of the 'Upper-End Establishment'.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/16 21:17:38 (permalink)
    Al, I've gotten that attitude at almost every Ruth's Chris we've ever been to. (The only one that has been normal is the local franchise, inside Mohegan Sun Pocono Downs.) I think it is a function of the high end chain syndrome. I've taken to confronting it directly: "Excuse me, have we offended you?" But really we just stopped going to expensive chain steakhouses.

The last time was in Atlantic City. I'd hit some big wins and we took my in-laws to R'sC, where we refused the bottled water and I think someone ordered a steak well done. I forget what I said to that waiter to let him know he didn't get away with anything, but I remember how I got even: my brother in law the engineer offered to pick up the tip, and I let him. I think he left a twenty on $200+.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/17 18:24:55 (permalink)
    Looks like Morton's is trying to make up for their bad behaviour. They gave $2K to St. Judes in the name of the offended customer and apologised. Still can't see many of the people in that party being return customers. I know I wouldn't. You get one chance to impress customers and Morton's blew it big time. Wonder if the manager still has a job?

http://www.wsmv.com/story...cer-told-to-remove-hat
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4012
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/17 18:59:50 (permalink)
    Root-Beer Man

Looks like Morton's is trying to make up for their bad behaviour. They gave $2K to St. Judes in the name of the offended customer and apologised. Still can't see many of the people in that party being return customers. I know I wouldn't. You get one chance to impress customers and Morton's blew it big time. Wonder if the manager still has a job?

http://www.wsmv.com/story...cer-told-to-remove-hat

Ok, so I read the article and have a few comments. First, Morton's definitely did the right thing by contributing the $2K to St. Jude's, issuing an apology to the offended customer and offering to hold a cancer fundraiser with him. The blame has to be entirely the staff----especially the manager who couldn't have been more wrong. If Morton's doesn't outright fire her, then they need to give some "thinking and compassion" training to their staff. Having lost my daughter to cancer, I think that waitress and especially the manager need to spend some time assisting in a cancer ward. maybe then they would understand what it's like. 
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 399
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/17 20:15:30 (permalink)
    Americans anymore seem to have a complete lack of common sense when it comes to so many things, and this, IMHO, is just another example of an employee that did not have the common sense to evaluate the situation and make a common sense decision about the correct approach.  No additional training of people can cover every possible situation, somewhere along the line you have to rely on what you have been brought up with....and in so many cases today that is totally lacking in American culture.
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1109
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/18 08:46:06 (permalink)
    This manager probably suffers from something called the Dunning-Kruger syndrome (yes, it's real) and basically it just means you're too stupid to know you're stupid.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Morton's Steakhouse In Nashville Gets Yelped 2013/12/18 10:09:24 (permalink)
    It's easy to beat up on the manager on duty because she was the person who ultimately made the call, but sometimes behavior like this starts at the top with the general manager.  Without knowing how much flexibility the floor managers at this location are given it's possible the entire staff needs some attitude adjustment.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1