Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 912
2007/03/30 16:43:13 (permalink)

Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ...

... maybe it was because the countermen all looked like ex-boxers turned bouncers ... or maybe because of da naybahood ... or because the place is rumored to be owned by the mob and is known for the occasional "sit down" in the back room ... or that all of the clientele looks like extras from the movie "A Bronx Tale" ...
What is the most "dangerous" pizza place you've ever seen ... or heard of?

38 Replies Related Threads

jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/30 17:15:32 (permalink)
    Just about any place in the North End of Boston, from what I've heard.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/30 19:30:04 (permalink)
    Rick F. could tell everyone a story or two here...
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/30 19:48:45 (permalink)
    All of the ones in Providence.

The Pizza Places back in the NYC are harmless- trust me on that one.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/30 21:50:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

Yeah, but. . . Well, I think maybe it wouldn't be a good idea. For one thing, I could be mistaken; and for the other, if I weren't mistaken, then telling it would be a really bad idea. But I'd love to hear other stories, and there are a few funny ones associated with the places I've worked.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/30 22:51:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

Except fer all those slimy & greasy OVERCOOKED veggies, I presume.

[|)][|)][|)][|)]
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/30 23:13:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:

Yeah, but. . . Well, I think maybe it wouldn't be a good idea. For one thing, I could be mistaken; and for the other, if I weren't mistaken, then telling it would be a really bad idea. But I'd love to hear other stories, and there are a few funny ones associated with the places I've worked.

Fugetaboutit...
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/30 23:25:35 (permalink)
    Selkirk Pizza Hut- Ate the food AND lived to tell about it.
    festivalfood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/30 23:49:45 (permalink)
    Hands down,my pizza place that I owned in Newark! It was in a business district,but the projects were a block away,and once the office buildings closed ,you closed and got out of town too.It was just like in the old westerns when the outlaws were coming to town and everybody locked their doors,and shut their shutters. I had a big guy who worked for me who cut cheese,and made the dough in the back,and came up front when there was trouble(best $8 hour I ever spent!).my office was in the back,with a heavy duty steel door,and a two way mirror facing the dining room and front line,and I had a 38 revolver in a holster screwed into the inside of the desk next to my leg.Thankfully I never had to use it,but let it be known I would in a heartbeat.I bought the place for a good price,but owning a place in an area like that is a grind,and wears you down.I never had any real trouble,just minor scuffles,but Newark is one of the most dangerous cities in the country.I also used to let this little boy help out after school,cute kid,like Webster on tv,sad he had to grow up in that area.I would give him money and send him home with food to his family,who was a poor single mother with 6 kids.One day this big tatooed up thug comes in ,right out of a gangster rap video looking for me.I came up front to see what he wanted,and he was the little boys oldest brother who just got out of prison,and wanted to thank me for helping out his family,and promised me no one would mess with me or my place .He was actually a pretty nice guy ,but a badass with a dangerous reputation in the area.So with some ghetto networking,firearms,and divine intervention I survived my year in the hood!.I know they are cleaning up Newark now,but when I had my place about 9 years ago it was pretty bad.The day I sold that place was one of the happiest days of my life!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/31 07:40:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jvsmom

That's just not true at all. I've benn going to the North End for over 50 years and I must say it's very very family friendly.

I urge you to walk into Galleria Rustucia Umberto on Hanover St. and tell me that is the case. I can also attest that this is also to be said about any of the other fine establishments in that area.
    The North End of Boston also enjoys the lowest crime rate in the city, always has.
    Please don't throw darts at this fine area because of what you Might have heard! Chow Jim
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/31 14:41:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:

That's just not true at all. I've benn going to the North End for over 50 years and I must say it's very very family friendly.

I urge you to walk into Galleria Rustucia Umberto on Hanover St. and tell me that is the case. I can also attest that this is also to be said about any of the other fine establishments in that area.
    The North End of Boston also enjoys the lowest crime rate in the city, always has.
    Please don't throw darts at this fine area because of what you Might have heard! Chow Jim

Ah! but, those could be the sort of places I'm asking about.
    "Dangerous" might refer to the area as noted in Festivalfoods excellent post ... or it could be the kinda place that might be characterized as "safe" because of the dangerous characters there (so ... safe unless you're a wiseguy) ... The type of place where troublemakers don't (to quote Frankie Pentangeli) "do violence in their grandmother's neighborhood" because of the consequences.

Roma Cafe in Detroit's Eastern Market warehouse district could be described as a "safe" place you can bring the family ... but I sure wouldn't recommend causing trouble there ... as a person could end up in a refrigerator truck hanging around with sides of beef heading for Toledo.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/31 15:10:32 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Except fer all those slimy & greasy OVERCOOKED veggies, I presume.

[|)][|)][|)][|)]

Well those pizza joints that serve up those slimy & greasy OVERCOOKED veggies are considered by the majority of folks to be some of the finest in the country as opposed to the Pizza joints serving up raw, crunchy veggies on cardboard discs loaded with ketchup and fake cheese which are served by outcasts from

jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/31 16:01:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

quote:

I have walked those streets myself, plenty of times, several times with kids in tow. I have spent many lunch hours there. I have also known several people in my time who grew up there themselves or had relatives who did. A lot of those places are family-owned, mom and pop type places. I don't deny that. But several of them have "back rooms" like the ones Sonny refers to. I've had them pointed out to me. And I hear that after a certain hour on certain nights, it's a whole different world.

And quite frankly, if that's not the case, I'd rather not know. I kind of like the mystique.

I also understand that most of the restaurants in Chinatown have those "connections" as well.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/31 16:48:33 (permalink)
    I've never noticed back rooms in the North End, but I'll take your word for it. I have heard some pretty amazing stories about late nights at Santarpios in East Boston, but that may be urban legend.

In Federal Hill, Providence and some surrounding areas, however, the "back room" is the front room, and the sidewalk, and the street. And they don't take to tourists snooping, around, capisce? That old gentleman smoking a cigar in his double-parked Caddie in front of the store you want to go into isn't waiting for his Mother to pick up her groceries.

I've told the story elsewhere, but when I was a kid there was a mob hit at one of the popular lunch places on the Hill. They left the bullet holes in the window for many years, despite protests from civic improvement organizations, just to let people know where they are.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/03/31 16:56:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

I've never noticed back rooms in the North End, but I'll take your word for it. I have heard some pretty amazing stories about late nights at Santarpios in East Boston, but that may be urban legend.

In Federal Hill, Providence and some surrounding areas, however, the "back room" is the front room, and the sidewalk, and the street. And they don't take to tourists snooping, around, capisce? That old gentleman smoking a cigar in his double-parked Caddie in front of the store you want to go into isn't waiting for his Mother to pick up her groceries.

I've told the story elsewhere, but when I was a kid there was a mob hit at one of the popular lunch places on the Hill. They left the bullet holes in the window for many years, despite protests from civic improvement organizations, just to let people know where they are.

Providence reminds me of that old Star Trek episode where the Enterprise visits an alien planet whose entire world is based on 1920's Al Capone Era Chicago. Providence being that alien planet of course.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/01 04:10:42 (permalink)
    Providence, MA or Providence, RI? Which are you talking about?

MikeS.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7032
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/01 05:45:33 (permalink)
    Definately Providence, RI! I never saw a dangerous pizza joint in the North End. Well, there was that one night I was having dinner at Daily Catch and the guy got whacked on Hanover St. No big deal.

V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 11:10:00 (permalink)
    Big Nick's on Broadway around 76th.
    Ashphalt
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 11:27:21 (permalink)
    Big Nick's on the Upper West Side, Manhattan? You've gotta be kidding! That's not dangerous. It just has a healthy "patina" of decades-old grease to simulate the old West Side and impress the out-of-towners. Shoot! Papaya King is closer to dangerous than Big Nick's.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 12:44:40 (permalink)
    I'm laughing.

Those who actually think that there are dangerous Pizza Joints in NYC and envirens are either truly fooling themselves or are living an fantasy that no longer exists.

This is how dangerous those NYC Pizza Joints are nowadays.

Providence, on the other hand is more like this

Ashphalt
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 12:50:19 (permalink)
    As we used to say when I was a kid...

"Welcome to Providence! Where Life Is Cheap!"

and,

"Rhode Island: Where Only the Crime is Organized!"
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10425
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 13:34:02 (permalink)
    I have heard that the area that Totonno's on Neptune Avenue in Brooklyn is in is particularly tough. Anyone care to confirm or deny?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 13:59:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

I have heard that the area that Totonno's on Neptune Avenue in Brooklyn is in is particularly tough. Anyone care to confirm or deny?

It's "in the hood" tough vs "La Costa Nostra" tough
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 14:09:32 (permalink)
    quote:

So there are a lot of actors of limited talent pretending to be tough guys hanging out in Providence pizza joints? Who'd have thunk it!

I have found Chuckie Cheese to be a pretty dangerous pizza joint...the pizza is horrid and being there for more than 10 minutes makes one want to put a rope over the rafters damn quick!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 14:11:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ashphalt

Big Nick's on the Upper West Side, Manhattan? You've gotta be kidding! That's not dangerous. It just has a healthy "patina" of decades-old grease to simulate the old West Side and impress the out-of-towners. Shoot! Papaya King is closer to dangerous than Big Nick's.

This made me laugh! Thanks...Papaya King can be rather threatening...too much fruit scares me.
    cornfed
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 14:56:16 (permalink)
    Patsy's in East Harlem is not too friendly at night. You have to walk through the projects to find a bus. The pizza's great, though.
    BunglingBill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 15:15:38 (permalink)
    HUH???

Do we live on different planets (referring to "up east" and "down south")???

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 15:18:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:

So there are a lot of actors of limited talent pretending to be tough guys hanging out in Providence pizza joints? Who'd have thunk it!

I have found Chuckie Cheese to be a pretty dangerous pizza joint...the pizza is horrid and being there for more than 10 minutes makes one want to put a rope over the rafters damn quick!

yes, and here it is...

www.cousinvinnysprovidence.com
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 15:44:55 (permalink)
    quote:

yes, and here it is...

www.cousinvinnysprovidence.com

Looks like a fun place. Is the food any good?

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Most Dangerous Pizza Joint You've Ever Seen ... 2007/04/03 18:35:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad
    Looks like a fun place. Is the food any good?

I wouldn't know
    The last person who went there ended up like this

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1