Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Most unique ice cream i had

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39
analei

• Total Posts: 533
Most unique ice cream i had Wed, 09/2/09 4:25 PM (permalink)
Halo-Halo-- i believe it's called. I was out this weekend at one of nicest Asian grocery stores in our city and was perusing their frozen food section and noticed a nice variety of frozen ice creams and ice milks. However, something struck me as kind of odd for my own tastes, but i was curious. It was an ice-milk bar called Halo Halo flavour.

It was purple yam, chickpeas, mung beans, coconut shoots, jackfruit, kidney beans, green peas, and few other things that made up the ingredients.  The dairy taste is quite different than what i am used to here in north america, i cannot quite pin it down, but the it tastes sharper, not sure. I liked the strange textures and flavours, but something was off. Not sure what it was, i kept on nibbling at it, and did not know what the heck made the rest of the ingredient break their strange harmony of flavours.

Maybe it was the chickpeas.

However, i will never tire of my  "normal" favourites of butter pecan, black cherry chocolate, or good old real vanilla ice cream.

I do not think i would recommend it to most people unless you like to experiment.

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
    Re:Most unique ice cream i had Wed, 09/2/09 7:35 PM (permalink)
    That's a really unusual flavor Analei.

Earlier this year Buffetbuster reported on his trip to Louisiana about an ice cream that he found around Avery Island: tobasco ice cream.  When I asked him about it, he said it tasted like tobasco flavor, but it really burned on the way out, "if you know what I mean."  I got a good laugh out of that.

Michael_Germany

• Total Posts: 505
      Re:Most unique ice cream i had Wed, 09/2/09 10:02 PM (permalink)
      Here in Germany you will find some very strange ice-cream flavours, roasted onion, garlic,
      even gold-plated ice creams, topped with Blattgold (Gold Foil)...

Pure Decadence, a deep derision to the people, who are not able to buy any ice cream at all...

Michael
      <message edited by Michael_Germany on Wed, 09/2/09 10:03 PM>

paceflchick

• Total Posts: 198
        Re:Most unique ice cream i had Sat, 09/12/09 8:44 AM (permalink)
        My fav. for 30plus years, BR daquire Ice, they took it away for the past few years, It Is back.

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Sat, 09/12/09 5:38 PM (permalink)
          Daquiri ice...that sounds sooo delish!

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
            Re:Most unique ice cream i had Sun, 09/13/09 9:03 AM (permalink)
            Theres an Indian place in SanFrancisco--cant remember the name- that had wonderful ice cream flavors---like cardomon--and severall other spices.Wenr realy well with the curry as dessert!

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Sun, 09/13/09 10:33 PM (permalink)
              Hello tiki,

i think what you are describing is called kulfi. i had some some years back at an Indian resturant. Very yummy. Never realised it was soooooooooo rich, but oh so good!

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Sun, 09/13/09 10:35 PM (permalink)
                Michael: that sounds quite decadent, yet I would try it!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                  Re:Most unique ice cream i had Sun, 09/13/09 11:54 PM (permalink)
                  Daiquiri Ice makes the best slush freeze!

I know where I'm going tomorrow!

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Mon, 09/14/09 10:43 AM (permalink)
                    mar52--enjoy one for me too..if you can handle two!

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Mon, 09/14/09 10:45 AM (permalink)
                      Louis: i have a recipe for that kinda of ice cream. Not sure i would care for it. But it is different. I have a book on ice cream, and there are ones for Parmesan cheese, avocado, and garlic.

I would give the avodcado one a try, but not the rest. Bu

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                        Re:Most unique ice cream i had Mon, 09/14/09 6:10 PM (permalink)
                        I wonder if there is any place in America that serves it, analei.

mar52

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Mon, 09/14/09 7:08 PM (permalink)
                          analei,  I can fit one on each handle!

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Mon, 09/14/09 10:06 PM (permalink)
                            Louis: I do not know..i would imagine maybe a trendy tex/mex one might do it.

I have nade an avocado, mango, and yogurt shake and it was really good.

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Mon, 09/14/09 10:08 PM (permalink)
                              mar52--laughs..good! Lucky you!! I want one right now... you know when something would just hit the spot perfectly?

mar52

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Mon, 09/14/09 11:14 PM (permalink)
                                Well I stopped for one after work.

I don't think a freeze was what I wanted.  The guy behind the counter filled the metal malt maker thing with soda water and a couple scoops of daiquiri ice and whirled it in the machine.

It separated with about an inch of soda on the bottom of the glass before he even gave it to me.  It was completely separated by the time I got in my car.

The great flavor was there but it was not good.

Next time I'll have it on a cone.

I had an avocado shake at a Vietnamese restaurant.  Not my thing although the Saffron at Mashti Malone's is delicious.

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Tue, 09/15/09 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                  Mar:  Sounds like it was a bit disappointing.

I like the "dessert" drinks at Vietnamese places..they are quite different that North Americans or Europeans classify as dessert.  ONe of my favourites is mashed green beans, then a layer of pinto beants, then a layer of green doughy noodles, and then lots of fresh coconut, coconut milk, and shaved ice.

What is the Saffron at Mashti Malone's?

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
                                    Re:Most unique ice cream i had Tue, 09/15/09 1:39 PM (permalink)
                                    I was visting Amish friends a few months ago, and they offered me homemade ice cream. The flavor was Teaberry, just like the gum. The Amish pick it from shrubs  that grow in the woods.

The ice cream color is pink like strawberry ice cream, but one bite is all you need to know that the flavor is teaberry. It was delicious!

mar52

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Tue, 09/15/09 1:57 PM (permalink)
                                      Safron flavored ice cream.

I love those triple layer bean dessert drinks!

Dessert I make at home and off topic:

Buy can of sweetened red (Azuki) beans.  Put some over crushed ice and top with unsweetened coconut milk (or cream if you can find it)

badbyron722

• Total Posts: 307
                                        Re:Most unique ice cream i had Tue, 09/15/09 2:17 PM (permalink)
                                        Anyone ever tried potted meat flavored ice cream? Cant seem to find it anywhere.

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Wed, 09/16/09 3:18 PM (permalink)
                                          Teaberry icecream.  Can you approximate in word description the flavour of a teaberry. I am curious.  I thought I had a good knowledge of berries, but apprently I do not and my curiosity is piqued.

I wonder if it would make a good sorbet as well.

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Wed, 09/16/09 3:19 PM (permalink)
                                            Thanks for the recipe, Mar

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Wed, 09/16/09 3:20 PM (permalink)
                                              badbyron: When and where did you have potted beef ice cream?

wheels in the sky

• Total Posts: 31
                                                Re:Most unique ice cream i had Wed, 09/16/09 3:49 PM (permalink)
                                                In Springfield  VT there is a sandwich shop that sells pina colada ice cream with mandarine oranges in it.. WOW!! is it great

analei

Re:Most unique ice cream i had Wed, 09/16/09 3:52 PM (permalink)
                                                  wheels in the sky..i really enjoy citrus flavours..that sounds very good!

georgiadogs

• Total Posts: 362
                                                    Re:Most unique ice cream i had Fri, 09/18/09 10:32 PM (permalink)
                                                    badbyron722

Anyone ever tried potted meat flavored ice cream? Cant seem to find it anywhere.

Thats just wrong on so many levels.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                                                      • Location: West Peoria, IL
                                                      Re:Most unique ice cream i had Fri, 09/18/09 11:24 PM (permalink)
                                                      analei

Teaberry icecream.  Can you approximate in word description the flavour of a teaberry. I am curious.  I thought I had a good knowledge of berries, but apprently I do not and my curiosity is piqued.

I wonder if it would make a good sorbet as well.

From the Victory Old Time Candy Store page: http://www.victoryseeds.c...e/clarks_teaberry.html

“Clark’s Teaberry chewing gum…..has a mild flavor – somewhere between mint and cinnamon, with a subtle kick…..  The name “teaberry” actually is the common name for wintergreen in the Southeastern United States, where it grows wild.”

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
                                                        • Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
                                                        Re:Most unique ice cream i had Mon, 10/12/09 6:41 PM (permalink)
                                                        Analei-6 Star is correct, the ice cream that the Amish served tasted just like Clark's Teaberry gum. In my youth, that chewing that gum was readily available in stores.  The ice cream tasted like this gum, only creamier in texture.

The Amish pick the berries and make a paste out of them, then add to vanilla ice cream, turning it pink.  However, the ice cream is very enjoyable; it is subtle and mild in flavor and  not overpowering like a wintergreen or spearmint.  It does not taste  like mouthwash or "medicinal" in nature.

I hope that this helps.  Sorry for the delay in posting a reply to your query.

analei

• Location: ONTARIO, CANADA
                                                          Re:Most unique ice cream i had Tue, 10/13/09 10:43 AM (permalink)
                                                          6star and jm199. 

Thanks for both your thoughtful replies, and at least i have an idea  now. I wish I had some to taste.

I found a recipe for angoursta bitters ice cream. So, I went to the grocery store not know what it was. I purchased a small bottle, well, the only bottle size.

What a peculiar taste. I liked it a lot in some soda pop, but not sure what to make of it as an icecream.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
                                                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                            Re:Most unique ice cream i had Tue, 10/13/09 11:33 AM (permalink)
                                                            About 12 years ago Velvet Ice Cream in Utica, Ohio made a most wonderful flavor called Brandied Peach. It was the absolute best ice cream I've ever tasted. They had it for a short while and then stopped. I call each year to ask whether they'll be bringing it back and I'm told each time that they intend to, "one of these days."

I don't think holding my breath till it comes back is a good idea.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com