Mother's Day Meal: Pizzeria Fondi Gig Harbor, WA

Author
Navy_Brat913
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 179
2010/05/12 16:53:38 (permalink)

Mother's Day Meal: Pizzeria Fondi Gig Harbor, WA

It's a small chain, but has anyone else in the NW tried this place?  I grew up in CT, so I know what the best is like, but haven't had it in over 12 years.  My son and I have gone to Fondi in Gig Harbor, Wa 2x now, and it's so much better than I've had in a while.  They tout themselves as providing Neopolitan Pizza.  Their dough is made fresh daily, their mozzarella is also made fresh daily, their tomato sauce is uncooked, and the thin-crust pizza is cooked at temperatures running up to 750 degrees to get the char and quick-cooking.  Note:  I have ONLY had the margherita pizza, we have not tried any of their others YET.   I was very pleased, the tomato sauce and crust are VERY good, the fresh mozzarella was sliced, not grated, and did not COVER the pizza (which I like).  The only downfall to me is that it cools rather rapidly, and fresh mozzarella gets a bit rubbery as it cools.  Oh yeah, and the basil got stuck in my teeth, and it took all I could to not pick it out there at the table, lol!   I plan to get the prosciutto & arugula pizza next, and my 13 year old son wants the Sei (6) cheese pizzaThe website is www.fondi.com.  I tried to attach pics, but am having difficulty with it.

9 Replies Related Threads

sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Mother's Day Meal: Pizzeria Fondi Gig Harbor, WA 2010/05/12 21:02:48 (permalink)
    the pizzas are only 1 size?
    no list of seperate toppings?
    looks & sounds like a fe fe fru fru place to me.
    no real independent joints in the area?
     I'm from CT also, so I know you were taught better than to go to a chain.
    post edited by sk bob - 2010/05/12 21:05:37
    tommyeats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 277
    Re:Mother's Day Meal: Pizzeria Fondi Gig Harbor, WA 2010/05/14 21:13:06 (permalink)
    It's great that you have a place in your area that's serving Neapolitan-style pizza.  You should feel lucky!
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Mother's Day Meal: Pizzeria Fondi Gig Harbor, WA 2010/05/19 07:41:40 (permalink)
    The place sounds good, when you go to Italy everyone gets there own pizza, so one size is fine. Back in the Day in Ct, they used to slice the mozzarella cheese and cover the pie, it melted better. They didn't use fresh Mozz, I bet you may remember hearing the cheese call Scamorza. I'm from Bridgeport, Ct now living on the east side of Washington State.................Billyb
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18648
    Re:Mother's Day Meal: Pizzeria Fondi Gig Harbor, WA 2010/05/19 11:01:30 (permalink)
    C'mon, BillyB, Jerry's is gone forever.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Mother's Day Meal: Pizzeria Fondi Gig Harbor, WA 2010/05/19 13:16:34 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

C'mon, Billypie extra scB, Jerry's is gone forever.

Michael, If you only knew how many times I walk into Jerry's and ordered a large  pie with extra Scamorza. If there is anything I miss being in the Pacific Northwest is the pizza from Ct. I don't remember people ordering a lot of toppings on their pizza back then, I don't know if it was because of the cost, or it was good just the way it was. I do remember the Italian sausage being real good, nothing like a Sausage and pepper Grinder.........Billyb
    seatown76
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re:Mother's Day Meal: Pizzeria Fondi Gig Harbor, WA 2010/05/19 15:48:50 (permalink)
    Too funny Navy_Brat, I was just out that direction a couple weeks ago and a friend and I were in Gig Harbor right there in the Pt. Fosdick area and we were hungry and pulled into the same shopping plaza that this pizza place is in and parked since I needed some stuff at the Borders book store anyways. We stood there after leaving Borders and stared at Pizzieria Fondi but decided to go with burgers and beer at the Blazing Onion right across from it...I was on vacation anyways so a nice cold Red Hook sounded really good!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18648
    Re:Mother's Day Meal: Pizzeria Fondi Gig Harbor, WA 2010/05/19 16:52:14 (permalink)
    BillyB

Michael Hoffman

C'mon, Billypie extra scB, Jerry's is gone forever.

Michael, If you only knew how many times I walk into Jerry's and ordered a large  pie with extra Scamorza. If there is anything I miss being in the Pacific Northwest is the pizza from Ct. I don't remember people ordering a lot of toppings on their pizza back then, I don't know if it was because of the cost, or it was good just the way it was. I do remember the Italian sausage being real good, nothing like a Sausage and pepper Grinder.........Billyb

For the most part, the only way I ever ordered an apizza in New Haven was plain, with just sauce and some parmesan. Sometimes I might spluge and get one with mozzarella, or one with sausage. Never more than the one topping, though. It was at Jerry's that I was first introduced to a pie with scamorze (properly pronounced, I'm sure you recall, as skuh-MOATZ).
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/05/19 16:53:20
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    Re:Mother's Day Meal: Pizzeria Fondi Gig Harbor, WA 2010/05/20 13:20:59 (permalink)
    Rox and I just back to Knoxville on that Sunday at 12:300 PM.  My daughter and Mamaw Smith picked us up at the airport.  We had a coupon at Ruby Tuedays for 20% off for the entire meal.  We went there and there was a 1 1/2 hour wait.  We went to another restaurant and there was a one hour wait there.  Out of desperation, we went ot the Krystal which Mamaw Smith really enjoys and there was not wait.  I am sorry but there is where we ate.

I was tired anyway after the flight and the 11 days on the cruise.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 368
    Re:Mother's Day Meal: Pizzeria Fondi Gig Harbor, WA 2010/07/15 05:53:45 (permalink)
    pizzeria fondi is a small chain, nothing like a pizza hut franchise.......... the one in my neighborhood recently closed but i do go to the gig harbor location about 4-5 times a year. i don't mind ordering as soon as i walk in the door, lots of places around here do that.. the pies are as close to new haven pizza as you will find anywhere on the west coast, probably due to the local water coming from high-altitude snowmelt inside protected watersheds and not from drilled wells or nasty river water... the pies are baked really fast, so most people order 1 or 2 toppings. i like pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms and olives so i always get funny looks from the counter person... but even with 4 generous toppings the pie always turns out crisp, but slightly chewy.

california pizza suffers from nasty, crappy water.....
    post edited by marzsit - 2010/07/15 06:01:39
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1