Mother's

Author
M&M
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 106
2003/08/07 14:25:00 (permalink)

Mother's

Ah, Mother's. I will never forget the first time I took my Illinois born wife to lunch at Mother's. The place was packed as usual and the line was moving along. When asked by the line waitress what she wanted M said she thought she would have the red beans & rice. "You want the plate or the dinner, dawlin'?" "Well, I guess the dinner," M replied. I knew what was coming but didn't say anything. There promptly appeared a platter of red beans and rice with two huge sausages, a half loaf of french bread and a side dish of potato salad. The waitress winked at me, gave M a big smile and said, "Eat hawty dawlin'." I've seen a similar spectacle many times since. I remember being sitting next to a table of folks from Detroit who sat absolutely spellbound at the amount of food when their order arrived.

Despite the continuing debate on this and other food boards about whether Mother's is declining or whether it makes the best po'boy in New Orleans, one thing is certain - you can't go wrong eating there. You can find good po'boys at Dot Domilisie's, Johnny's, and a hundred other places (including, if your up for a trip down to Jean Lafitte, at Boutte's or Voleo's and I highly recommend that you do) but Mother's has never let me down. I love the place, including the community tables where you can hob-nob with folks from all walks of life. New Orleans, New Orleans, New Orleans, oh, how I miss it.

6 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: Mother's 2003/08/08 00:45:37 (permalink)
    If I could've gotten a flight out of Anchorage this morning to New Orleans, I would've had lunch at Mother's today. Sometimes I wake up with a DESIRE for a Debris or an oyster po'boy or their red beans and rice, or just the ambiance of the place. My significant other and I always have lunch out once a week and when he asks me, where do you want to go? The reply is always the same. "Mother's" Darned good food! I need to move to NOLA!
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Mother's 2003/08/08 02:13:54 (permalink)
    The renovations lost some of the place's charm. I hate when they mess with a good thing. As far as the Ferdi goes, it's OK, but when I'm in NO I want seafood. I'll take the Peacemaker po'boy from Acme or Dunbar's catfish po'boy anytime. Oh, and the all time greatest-- trout sandwich at Cassamento's. If the Ferdi where in my neighborhood, I'd most likely eat it everyday. Unfortunately, there is just too much competition where it's at. I went there several times because my hotels have been close by. But I just don't feel it. The breakfast biscuit though was a good little treat before heading for the airport. if we're staying away from seafood, I would even choose the Central Grocery muffaletta before the Ferdi.
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Mother's 2003/08/09 10:04:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by goldsborscht

The renovations lost some of the place's charm.

I was last in NOLA in December 2001. Were the renovations done since then? I don't remember anything different at that visit. I love Mother's, I have to stop there at least twice during each stay, once for breakfast and once for lunch.
    E. J.
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Mother's 2003/08/19 22:31:11 (permalink)
    We've got to eat at Mother's every time we're in New Orleans. The last trip was almost two years ago - what renovations? Ferdi's Special with debris and the rice pudding are awesome.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7012
    RE: Mother's 2003/08/20 02:09:24 (permalink)
    Stop it, you guys! I'm craving an oyster po'boy and a cold beer!!!!
    matilda427
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Mother's 2003/08/21 11:10:57 (permalink)
    Could there be a better place for breakfast in New Orleans? I really don't think so. I have to share my maiden trip to Mother's. I headed there, on the advice of one of those wonderful N.O. cabbies, for breakfast one morning. I had the buscuits with debris, and grits, as suggested. Never, ever, have I had such a heavenly biscuit, stuffed with the salty, wonderfull greasy, roast drippins! And yes, it's spelled "drippins" not "drippings." While waiting in line and for a table, the cooks put out a huge foil pan of over-cooked, slightly burnt pieces of bacon for us to munch on. I was in heaven. My mother (how fitting!) used to overcook on purpose a couple of pieces of bacon on on saturday mornings for us to munch on. No, Mother's is not for the weak stomached or those of us who are trying to diet, but how often does one get to go to New Orleans? Not often enough!

You don't need a reason to go to New Orlrans but if you do, breakfast at Mother's works for me.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1