The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival

Change Page: << < ..1112131415161718 > | Showing page 14 of 18, messages 391 to 420 of 534
carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Tue, 11/10/09 8:29 PM (permalink)
Since I was only moderately hungry at dinnertime, I was able to resist the temptation to grab additional sides, so I settled for mashed potatoes ( real ) and cole slaw to accompany my fried chicken. Of course I also had to have a piece of their great chocolate cream pie. I love K&W's fried chicken; IMO, it's just as good if not better than the bird at Indiana's famed Gray Brothers and Jonathan Byrd cafeterias.

NC Cheesehead

• Total Posts: 158
    Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Tue, 11/10/09 8:58 PM (permalink)
    nocarolina

Since I was only moderately hungry at dinnertime, I was able to resist the temptation to grab additional sides, so I settled for mashed potatoes ( real ) and cole slaw to accompany my fried chicken. Of course I also had to have a piece of their great chocolate cream pie. I love K&W's fried chicken; IMO, it's just as good if not better than the bird at Indiana's famed Gray Brothers and Jonathan Byrd cafeterias.

NC,

That picture just made me rethink my stand on cafeteria food.  My posts in the past here on this site were always negative towards buffets and cafeterias because I always assumed the food sat around too long and just got bad/soggy or whatever.  That food looks very good.

I am going to give them a shot based on the pictures you just posted.  I will keep you posted.

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Tue, 11/10/09 10:13 PM (permalink)
      Cheesehead, at lunch and dinnertimes, the food at K&W doesn't get a chance to sit around and get cold or soggy. The line of hungry patrons stretches through the building, and the food has a rapid turnover. I highly recommend this great little regional chain. Buffets are another matter though; I don't care for them at all.

www.kwcafeterias.com
      <message edited by nocarolina on Wed, 11/11/09 1:40 AM>

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 1:32 AM (permalink)
        The next morning, Monday the 28th, I cleared out of my motel room as it was time to head home. Usually I don't look forward to saying goodbye to North Carolina, but I had been away from home for all but one of the previous eleven days, and I was eager to get back. Breakfast this morning was another quick and inexpensive one from Biscuitville. 

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 8:59 AM (permalink)
          After making a few final stops in Mount Airy ( gas station, car wash, my aunt's place ), I headed north on US 52 into Virginia and the community of Cana. Along this stretch, 52 is known as Fancy Gap Highway. Just a few miles north of the state line I arrived at the amazing roadside stand called Mountain Man...
                                                    www.mountainmaninc.biz

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 9:45 AM (permalink)
            Mountain Man is really too large to be called just a stand, and it's a pretty impressive operation. The place is obviously tourist-oriented, and rather self-consciously "old timey", but the two-story cabin in this photo is the real thing; it dates back to 1881.
            <message edited by nocarolina on Wed, 11/11/09 9:48 AM>

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 9:55 AM (permalink)

ALRUI

• Total Posts: 31
                Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 10:36 AM (permalink)
                nocarolina

Cheesehead, at lunch and dinnertimes, the food at K&W doesn't get a chance to sit around and get cold or soggy. The line of hungry patrons stretches through the building, and the food has a rapid turnover. I highly recommend this great little regional chain. Buffets are another matter though; I don't care for them at all.

www.kwcafeterias.com

I totally agree on the buffets but K&W looks good and reminds me of a place I love to go to in the SF Bay Area called Harry's Hofbrau, excellent food served in the same manner as K&W where you line up the tell them what you want. The sandwiches are superb:-)

http://www.harryshofbrau.com/

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 6:30 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 6:38 PM (permalink)
                    The sign said that I could pet this little fellow, but ol' Porky wasn't having any part of it. 

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 6:52 PM (permalink)

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
                        Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 7:22 PM (permalink)

The sign said that I could pet this little fellow, but ol' Porky wasn't having any part of it.

I'd be a bit ornery if I were that close to my cooked kin too

NC Cheesehead

• Total Posts: 158
                          Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 7:43 PM (permalink)
                          NC,
                          Thanks so much for the good tips.  I will try out  KW.  I just need to convince the Mrs. that KW is the way to go.  I will show her the pics.  She loves southern food.  She grew up in southern MO and her mother was from TN. 

Good thing you aren't here right now....4 inches of rain because of the remnants of hurricane Ida.  Back yard is a bit wet now with some standing water. 

I should not complain. This will be my first winter in the Carolina's.  Snow from Wisconsin will not be missed.

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 7:49 PM (permalink)
                            The selection of homemade jams, jellies, apple butter, etc. sold here is quite impressive. I brought home a jar of the Mountain Man's blackberry preserves, along with a jar of his Lexington-style barbecue sauce ( or "dip" as they call it hereabouts. ) The preserves were very good, but it's MM's sauce that really impressed me. It's one of the best that I've ever tasted. I also bought a package of "Junior Johnson's" country ham, packaged by Suncrest Farms of Wilkesboro NC. This is probably the best supermarket brand of country ham that I've found; very salty with an intense flavor. If you look at Mountain Man's website, you'll see all kinds of edible goodies available by mail.    

ALRUI

• Total Posts: 31
                              Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 8:09 PM (permalink)
                              nocarolina

The selection of homemade jams, jellies, apple butter, etc. sold here is quite impressive. I brought home a jar of the Mountain Man's blackberry preserves, along with a jar of his Lexington-style barbecue sauce ( or "dip" as they call it hereabouts. ) The preserves were very good, but it's MM's sauce that really impressed me. It's one of the best that I've ever tasted. I also bought a package of "Junior Johnson's" country ham, packaged by Suncrest Farms of Wilkesboro NC. This is probably the best supermarket brand of country ham that I've found; very salty with an intense flavor. If you look at Mountain Man's website, you'll see all kinds of edible goodies available by mail.    

WOW - Lots of canned goods thats for sure! My mouth is watering thinking about some of those pickled peppers and the like:-) I've used the "Bone Suckin Sauce" several times as a butcher shop b me carries it, the "hot" definitely has a bite to it.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                                Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 9:50 PM (permalink)
                                nocarolina

I love the sign on the door: "No Smoking in Ham House".  I think I might have asked them, "If you don't smoke the hams, how do you cure them?" 

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                  From the Mountain Man's place, I made my way northward to the mountaintop community of Fancy Gap, where 52 passes under the Blue Ridge Parkway.

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 10:30 PM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 10:39 PM (permalink)
                                      As I got close to Hillsville, I decided to make another stop at the Hillsville Diner, have a light "pre-lunch", and hopefully this time get to visit with Mac, the owner.  

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 10:52 PM (permalink)
                                        When I entered the diner, I was glad to see Mac behind the counter. We gabbed for a few minutes while I downed an order of pintos n' cornbread ( with sweet tea of course. )

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 11:02 PM (permalink)
                                          Here's the bridge that carries Hwy. 52 over the historic New River... 

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 11:16 PM (permalink)
                                            As much as I dislike interstate highways, occasionally time considerations make it necessary to use them for short stretches, which is why I jumped on I-77 at Wytheville and took it up to Bluefield. If it appears that I took the same route home that I took down to NC... well, looks can be deceiving.  

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 11:29 PM (permalink)
                                              Arriving in Bluefield, I was ready for lunch. Years of disappointing experience had taught me that there are no good roadfood-type places in Bluefield, but fortunately the only K&W cafeteria in West Virginia is located in Mercer Mall on Bluefield's east side.

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Wed, 11/11/09 11:51 PM (permalink)
                                                Small local and regional chains that serve good food, such as K&W, can be a real lifesaver when traveling through roadfood-deprived areas like southern West Virginia. Since I had already dined on beans n' bread back in Hillsville, I wasn't too hungry, so I just had the chopped steak and mashed potatoes, along with, predictably, the chocolate cream pie. A very satisfying meal.

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Thu, 11/12/09 12:18 AM (permalink)
                                                  Leaving Bluefield, I parted company with US 52 and headed west on US 460, which immediately took me back into Virginia. This highway traverses the far western region of the state before crossing into eastern Kentucky.  
                                                  <message edited by nocarolina on Thu, 11/12/09 8:18 PM>

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Thu, 11/12/09 2:18 AM (permalink)

carolina bob

Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Thu, 11/12/09 2:24 AM (permalink)
                                                      One state closer to home!... 

jimcfs1

• Total Posts: 71
                                                        Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Thu, 11/12/09 9:22 AM (permalink)
                                                        nocarolina

Arriving in Bluefield, I was ready for lunch. Years of disappointing experience had taught me that there are no good roadfood-type places in Bluefield, but fortunately the only K&W cafeteria in West Virginia is located in Mercer Mall on Bluefield's east side. 

Now you're in MY neighborhood... I've been here since the early 90s, but never have eaten out at K&W.

The only place we've eaten at out at the mall is Macado's... but I haven't been there in a long long time.   The chinese place across the hall from K&W has a bad reputation... I haven't eaten there in about 15 years.  I don't see how they are still open.  Chick Fil A is in the small food court, and it seems to do well.

Being from the north, there aren't many good places in our area as far as I'm concerned. 
                                                        <message edited by jimcfs1 on Thu, 11/12/09 9:26 AM>

jimcfs1

• Total Posts: 71
                                                          • Location: Athens, WV
                                                          Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Thu, 11/12/09 9:24 AM (permalink)
                                                          nocarolina

Leaving Bluefield, I parted company with US 52 and headed west on US 460, which immediately took me back into Virginia. This highway traverses the far western region of the state before crossing into southeastern Kentucky.  

I haven't been that far out on 460 in a long long time.  Is the road any better west of Grundy into KY?  The last time I took it (about 15 years ago) it was a windy 2 lane and one got stuck behind coal trucks.  Same question about 52 between Bluefield and Huntington... I've never taken that way because I was afraid it would take forever... much easier to take the turnpike up to Charleston and west of I-64.

carolina bob

• Location: Chicagoland
                                                            Re:Mount Airy NC and the Mayberry Days Festival Thu, 11/12/09 4:16 PM (permalink)
                                                            Jim, you're right, southern West Virginia is certainly no roadfood mecca. It's really a pity that people in the Princeton/Bluefield area have to go to a chain restaurant like K&W in order to find good food. Of course there's always Omelet Shoppe in Princeton.   Is that place still in business? If it is, it's probably the last outlet left of what was a decent-sized chain back in the 1960s. US 460 is still pretty windy west of Grundy, but it has been improved somewhat over the years. If you or anyone else is considering driving US 52 between Huntington and Bluefield, I recommend that you allow at least six hours for the trip and be prepared to dine on some very mediocre food. It's a very scenic drive, though, and I always look forward to it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..1112131415161718 > | Showing page 14 of 18, messages 391 to 420 of 534

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com